Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A little feedback from a newbie...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Flashpoint Germany Support >> A little feedback from a newbie... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/25/2006 8:24:06 AM   
FlipTrac_511

Hello. First post here.

I've owned FPG since it first came out but only recently have I begun to play it (with v1.11 patch at that). I'm getting the hang of things after playing the "Soviet Tank Rush" scenarios several times. I'm enjoying this game very much so I'm glad Matrix made such a game available. Anyhow, here are a few things I noticed so far:

1. When I delete a waypoint while I have 'show all waypoints' enabled, the old yellow waypoint trail remains seen. It causes confusion especially when numerous waypoint trails from other units are about.

2. I prefer to enable the 'show all waypoints' throughout the game, but I must re-enable it after each and every turn. It gets a annoyingly repetitive. Other features in the menu remain selected turn after turn, why not this one?

3. I was browsing through the hardware inspector one time and I saw a picture of a Harrier but the description was for a Jaguar. I'm sure of it. That said I have not been able to reproduce this event. I just browsed the inspector and it shows the Jaguar and its description just fine. I just thought I'd throw this out there.
Post #: 1
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/25/2006 2:14:08 PM   
CapnDarwin

FlipTrac,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the game. We are hard at work on the next game in the series which shifts the Flashpoint to the Mid-East. As for the 3 items you problems with I can see only 1 as an issue. It almost sounds like your game is not updated correcly. In the opening spash screen do you see a 1.11 in the lower left hand corner?

Item 1 was fixed in 1.10. If you select a unit and right click a waypoint and delete, both the point and the trail go away.

Item 2 looks to be a good call. I though we had that corrected but it does appear to not be "sticking" turn to turn. We'll get that on our list.

Item 3 also was corrected in 1.10. Both aircraft have a similar look but the pictures are correct in the current version. The Jag has square inlets and tricycle gear to the Harriers rounded inlets and 4 post gear.

If you notice anything else please drop us a line.

Thanks.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to FlipTrac_511)
Post #: 2
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/26/2006 1:39:59 AM   
FlipTrac_511

quote:

Item 3 also was corrected in 1.10. Both aircraft have a similar look but the pictures are correct in the current version. The Jag has square inlets and tricycle gear to the Harriers rounded inlets and 4 post gear.

Oh...you didn't just give me a lesson in aircraft identification did you!?

On a serious note, the splash screen shows 'version 1.1.0'. Doesn't look right to me. I can't believe I didn't notice it before. Both program and patch were fresh installs.

D'OH! I just realized that the patch I downloaded and use was v1.10. How did that happen?

< Message edited by FlipTrac_511 -- 5/26/2006 1:45:11 AM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/26/2006 1:58:14 AM   
FlipTrac_511

Okay, I just downloaded and installed v1.11. Thanks for the head's-up Capn Darwin.

One last thing (for now); I don't understand why the 'aftermath' is already being shown with the scenario briefing dialog window at the very beginning of a scenario. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Post #: 4
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/26/2006 5:04:47 AM   
CapnDarwin

quote:

Oh...you didn't just give me a lesson in aircraft identification did you!?

I'm an Aerospace engineer by trade and a aircraft lover (military birds mainly) so I had to do it. A moral imperative.

The layout of the scenarios was done before I got involved but the aftermath is there to basically tell a story with respect to the series of battles. A kinda history that never was so you can compare your results. Not a bad idea but perhaps that info should display after the fight is over.

Enjoy 1.11!!

Post #: 5
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/26/2006 7:23:57 AM   
FlipTrac_511

Yes, it's odd being able to see the 'aftermath' even when the scenario hasn't even started yet. Does the 'aftermath' description change depending on how a scenario was won/lost?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 6
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/26/2006 2:07:56 PM   
CapnDarwin

Think of the Aftermath as the "historical result" of the designers series of scenarios. It would be like fighting the battle of 73 Easting knowing that the historical outcome was a major US victory. The Aftermath is just something to read and in some cases to compare your results to. The page itself does not change based on your result. It is purely text from the scenario designer.

Post #: 7
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/27/2006 12:31:45 AM   
FlipTrac_511

I get it. It's as if the there really was war in Europe between NATO and WP.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 8
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/28/2006 5:58:26 AM   
FlipTrac_511

Another anomaly I noticed: When right-clicking units that are (edit) slightly off-center on the map (but closer to the top of the screen), the scroll menu opens up only to have the upper options cut-off of the visible area. Under such conditions, perhaps the menu should pop up lower than it normally would, thus its entirety remains in full view.

< Message edited by FlipTrac_511 -- 5/28/2006 7:03:21 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/28/2006 6:27:29 PM   
CapnDarwin

FlipTrac,

Can you get a screenshot of the problem? I'm testing this as we speak and I can't reproduce it. When I right clcik a unit the menu is all on screen for me. What kind of unit it it? Any other items of interest will help too (Scenario, turn, side, etc).

Thanks for the report.

Post #: 10
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/28/2006 8:00:00 PM   
FlipTrac_511

How do I take a screenie in FPG anyway?

And oh yeah, btw, I found the Harrier/Jaguar mixup issue I mentioned in my original post. I was just browsing through the FPG manual pdf, and there it was on page 62; a Jaguar description with Harrier pic.

< Message edited by FlipTrac_511 -- 5/28/2006 8:04:28 PM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 11
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/28/2006 8:21:39 PM   
FlipTrac_511

Or try this:

Open up 'Meeting of Titans (v1.1) scen as WP player.
Locate unit HQ/1/68 Gds MRR at loc 31.22
Scroll the map so this unit has 7 squares to its left and 5 above it.
Now right click on this HQ unit from its lower area and the menu should pop upwards and cut-off up top. Strangely, right clicking from the upper area of the counter will have the menu pop downwards as desired.
Without moving the map, click on the arty units to the right. Their menus will pop upwards and be cut off too.

I hope you are able to recreate this. I do have custom scrolling parameters.

< Message edited by FlipTrac_511 -- 5/28/2006 8:26:08 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 5/28/2006 11:16:07 PM   
FlipTrac_511

Also, is there a way to keep the map view from moving away from the current view when the AI turn ends? I don't know if it's re-centering itself on the scenario map or what, but it's annoying having to scroll all the way back to where the action is.

Post #: 13
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/18/2006 9:08:30 AM   
FlipTrac_511

I figured it was better to keep posting here than open up new threads. On the other hand, I hope these latest reports don't go unnoticed.

1) Very frustrating for scenario to end because only enemy HQ (and arty) units are left.

I was denied a 'Decisive Victory' because hidden enemy HQ units managed to sneak into objective area. Before I could conduct a thorough mop-up and secure the objective area, I destroyed the last remaining enemy line unit and the scenario abruptly ended. I had ample time and plenty of healthy units left.

Very dissappointing especially after I was finally able to stave off the British in "Thin Blue Line" scenario...without using nukes.

2) When opening the barrage menu for artillery units, the cursor can easily wonder off causing the barrage options to dissappear before a selection can be made.

Perhaps the cursor threshold can be increased in regards to this menu, thus avoiding a frustrating process of repeated clicking and paintstaking cursor dragging.

3) In the 'Game Options' and 'Realism Settings' menu, the floating cursor information can use another 3 seconds before disappearing, allowing the reader to absorb what has just been quickly read.

4) This is a known bug, but having to reset the 'Show all friendly waypoints' option after every turn is increasingly becoming frustrating.

Post #: 14
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/21/2006 2:21:22 PM   
CapnDarwin

FlipTrac,

I was out of town on vacation and Rob is hip deep in code. I'll look over this list this evening. We are always looking for items like this in order to adjust the new game and also for updating FPG.

Thanks.

Post #: 15
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/22/2006 12:49:01 AM   
CapnDarwin

Okay...
#1. I agree that the left over units can be annoying sometimes, but just like real life a small unit can sneak in and the the prize while you crush the rest of the map. We are working on cleaning up the VP system for the next game and should get rid of most of the sudden death issues.

#2. I hate that too, but it is the way the control in question operates within windows. I'll see if there is something we can tweak to to keep the sub menu up long enough to make a selection.

#3. That should be an easy fix and we can add it to the fix list for the next update.

#4. We should be able to nail this one too in an update.

Thanks for the inputs, I'll pass this on to Rob.

Post #: 16
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/22/2006 1:40:24 AM   
FlipTrac_511

quote:

...just like real life a small unit can sneak in and the the prize while you crush the rest of the map...quote]

Absolutely, but the issue is the scenario ending before I can do anything about it.  I don't mind the scenario ending if only enemy HQ units are left, but it should not end if I have turns and line units left and I have not secured objectives.

Thanks for the feedback Cap'n.  Good to hear from you again.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 17
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/23/2006 12:55:00 AM   
FlipTrac_511

Another one I noticed:

I play with medium or high EW intensity levels and I noticed the EW intensity level resets itself to 'low' every time when starting a new game.

Not a problem for those who always play with 'low EW intensity', but it may be overlooked by those who use medium or high intensity and unknowingly play with low settings.  Resetting it to medium or high is also repetitive.

Post #: 18
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/23/2006 2:13:02 AM   
CapnDarwin

We'll add that to the list.

Thanks.

Post #: 19
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/23/2006 2:43:20 AM   
FlipTrac_511

I just noticed, the intensity level only resets to 'low' if you start a new game from a current session.  If you choose to exit FPG completely (i.e. close FPG), the intensity level will not reset the next time FPG starts; it will be at the same setting you left it last.

< Message edited by FlipTrac_511 -- 6/23/2006 2:44:08 AM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 20
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/23/2006 9:22:05 AM   
Viper6

I was able to reproduce the EW problem, looks to be tied in, in part, with the game ending, if you simply start a new game without having ended the previous game the EW level will not reset. If however you choose "end game" and then start a new game then the EW level will be set back to low. If however you end the game and exit, then launch the game and start a new scenario the EW level will not be reset.

Hopefully that helps in finding the problem.

Alex Clark - Viper
Flashpoint Germany Beta Test Team
Flashpoint Middle East Beta Test Team

Supervising Lighting and Sound Technician,
University of Minnesota, Morris

Post #: 21
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/23/2006 2:23:04 PM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks guys, we probably have missed a line or two of code to read and set those items when restarting from an open session. I'll see if I can squeeze some time in this weekend to clean those items up.

(in reply to Viper6)
Post #: 22
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/24/2006 12:55:53 AM   
FlipTrac_511

Hmmm...looks like Viper's getting the exact opposite of what I am.  Just to be clear, when I say 'reset' I mean the instensity level goes to 'low' if it was previously set at 'medium' or 'high'.  Either way, I'll let y'all take care of it!

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 23
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/24/2006 8:23:07 AM   
FlipTrac_511

I noticed another very minor discrepancy, a typo perhaps. Under the 'Select Scenario' menu, the scenario description on all the prebuilt scenarios indicate the time in 24-hour fashion; 0400 hours, 0800 hours, 1100 hours, and so forth. However, in the 'Bread and Butter' description, the time is typed 15:00 hours. Notice the " : " between the 15 and 00. It struck me odd that this was typed 15:00 hours and not 1500 hours following the format of the other descriptions.

I just remembered another one too: On more than a couple of occassions, during enemy turn (or I should say, during 'fight'), I noticed my artillery unit will display a 'waypoint trail' to its designated barrage target.

< Message edited by FlipTrac_511 -- 6/24/2006 5:05:27 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/24/2006 3:56:21 PM   
CapnDarwin

Wow! Finding all the loose ends will put us out of business. LOL

Once we get passed Origins this upcoming week I'll see if Rob and I can take some time to hit all of these issues and get out a minor update. Many of these items will need to be addressed in the new game since some of the code was ported over.

Keep on diggin'.

Post #: 25
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/24/2006 5:04:20 PM   
FlipTrac_511

Sorry sir. I probably should be emailing further 'reports' then?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 26
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/24/2006 5:27:27 PM   
CapnDarwin

FlipTrac,

Keep on digging up the bugs. Rob and I are so close to it we miss many things like this. Having eagle-eye players and testers makes for a better game and better future games too.

I also hope they get the NDA stuff worked out so we can get you in the Dev forum soon.

Post #: 27
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/24/2006 6:57:36 PM   
FlipTrac_511

Thanks.  I submitted my NDA via fax over a week ago.  I hope it wasn't lost.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 28
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/25/2006 12:46:58 AM   
FlipTrac_511

Still playing 'Behind Enemy Lines' here.  I just experienced two of my fresh mech infantry units move out of their dug-in suburban locations and into the open in full view of spotted enemy units.  Just prior to that they received some artillery (one turn only) and eliminated an enemy recon unit going into their location.  One was full strength the other just below strength, both had OK ammo and good morale, but both just became tired.  They were doing a great job holding off advancing enemy armor, but once they jumped into the waiting arms of advancing British, one was eliminated and the other was decimated.

I did not give them orders to move and if they were retreating why would they go in the direction of the enemy?  Their rear was totally friendly territory and the suburban area would've provided great cover.  Grrrr...

Post #: 29
RE: A little feedback from a newbie... - 6/25/2006 4:40:59 AM   
CapnDarwin

FlipTrac,

The move might have been a glitch in the AI. Do you have a savegame at that point? Even a screenshot might shed some light on things. I would think that the AI might have determined the fastest route out as the one away from the city but did not see the enemy. The code for movement in those situations is complex and possibly not 100% true to form. Just something else to tack on the list. I'm going to need to make a summary of all of this tonight so I can talk to Rob about it on Sunday.

Thanks for the info!!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Flashpoint Germany Support >> A little feedback from a newbie... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI