Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/24/2006 8:37:23 AM   
the dragon

Game Depot has 4 COW versions of Fire in the East posted. The one posted Nov. 10, 2003 vers 3.1 by Snefens mentions nothing about PBEM but does say something about being restricted by"limitations of the game engine". Also on several sites where PBEM FITE are posted they say see their homepage for other versions. They are not there & possibly this is one & is PO playable. It is too big for me but if its not for you check it out, it may be what you are looking for.

The Dragon
Post #: 1
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/24/2006 9:43:50 AM   
larryfulkerson

I loaded the scenario ( version 5.0 ) and set the computer to play against itself ( both sides ) and the PO did a fairly decent job of it.  I was impressed.  Perhaps a person CAN play against the PO.  I loaded the scenario into the editor and took a look at the objectives however and found that several formations had just "berlin" or "moscow" and nothing in between.......having said that however, perhaps that's better than no PO at all.  Somebody give it a try and let us know what happened, pretty please with sugar on top with a cherry.

(in reply to the dragon)
Post #: 2
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/24/2006 11:32:52 AM   
LLv34_Snefens

Those versions are older versions of the scenario. They have exactly the same degree of PO programmed as the one shipped with TOAW3, which, like Larry points out, is nothing more than 1 objective set for each formation. The editor demands this if an error of incomplete scenario wants to be avoided.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/24/2006 4:19:50 PM   
panzerariete

I played that fire in east last year , I played as German against PO Russia, the AI was too backward to make any mentionable resistance, I occupied almost all Russian land before even Dec in computer +2 ...

so the old version Fire in east is surely not playable against PO, I hope someone can modify to the TOAW III Ai quality and make other significant chnages.

(in reply to LLv34_Snefens)
Post #: 4
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/24/2006 8:03:08 PM   
ralphtricky

I'd be curious about how it plays against the PO too. If the unit density on that side is fairly high, it may be able to do a reasonable job.

(in reply to panzerariete)
Post #: 5
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/24/2006 8:55:32 PM   
*Lava*

Well..

I've seen on one forum someone say that a "PBEM only" game gave a pretty decent showing when playing against Elmer.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 6
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/26/2006 6:22:18 PM   
golden delicious

In such a long, large scenario the human player could win by focussing very heavily on one part of the map. The PO would struggle to deal with this since only a limited number of formations would have objectives in the relevant area.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 7
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/27/2006 3:43:55 AM   
panzerariete

as I said before, last year I played as axis against PO russia in this game and won the game before the Dec 1941. The old AI was feeble because of one main reason, they stack huge groups in one single hex, thus my force could easily round them up and eliminate all units in that single hex. If this Ai old bad habit is not modified by game designer, the game is not playable against PO

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 8
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/27/2006 6:37:27 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzerariete

as I said before, last year I played as axis against PO russia in this game and won the game before the Dec 1941. The old AI was feeble because of one main reason, they stack huge groups in one single hex, thus my force could easily round them up and eliminate all units in that single hex. If this Ai old bad habit is not modified by game designer, the game is not playable against PO

Trust me, that bug is gone. The new PO offers a reasonable battle. It's big shortcoming is that it doesn't have a 'big picture' strategic understanding, that has to be provided by the designer.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to panzerariete)
Post #: 9
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/27/2006 8:18:02 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: LLv34_Snefens
Those versions are older versions of the scenario. They have exactly the same degree of PO programmed as the one shipped with TOAW3, which, like Larry points out, is nothing more than 1 objective set for each formation. The editor demands this if an error of incomplete scenario wants to be avoided.

For those of you who are unaware, this gentleman is one of the designers of FitE. He is saying that the formations have the minimum objective requirements needed by the program to qualify as a complete scenario, and that is one per formation. This means that the scenario is NOT designed to be played with either side as a PO player. It is no surprise that you are not going to get a battle from Elmer, if he has not been programmed.

Thanks for clearing this up, Snefens.

(in reply to LLv34_Snefens)
Post #: 10
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/28/2006 3:28:14 AM   
PaladinSix

On the same general subject, can anyone recommend a large scenario that has been designed (or adapted) for play against the PO?  I much prefer the larger, more detailed scenarios (FitE looks like a lot of fun), but my skills (and my schedule) aren't up to a PBEM challenge yet.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 11
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/28/2006 3:53:03 AM   
ralphtricky

You might try El Alamein by Daniel McBride.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 12
RE: Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found - 6/28/2006 4:10:27 AM   
rhinobones

IIRC McBride also has an Eastern Front scenario which is optimized for Cheyenne against the Russian (PO?). It is certainly detailed enough and should be large enough to fulfill the request. Check out his page on Rugged Defense.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Fire in the East-possible PO enabled v found Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI