Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lost in Europe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Lost in Europe Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lost in Europe - 6/24/2006 3:46:17 PM   
alaric99x

I've been trying to order a digital download, but the system doesn't accept my credit cards. I have a Visa card issued by a German bank. That bank just sent me a new card with a smart chip in addition to the mag stripe, making my old card invalid in the process. The new card should be valid as of May '06, but it doesn't work.

I also have a Visa and Discover card issued by US financial institutions, but I don't live in the US right now. I have a US address where I once lived, but that place is rented out now. Can I use that address with one of my US credit cards, or would the Matrix system reject that? If I use a US address and a German phone number, will that cause the transaction to bounce?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Post #: 1
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/24/2006 11:45:10 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: alaric99x

I've been trying to order a digital download, but the system doesn't accept my credit cards. I have a Visa card issued by a German bank. That bank just sent me a new card with a smart chip in addition to the mag stripe, making my old card invalid in the process. The new card should be valid as of May '06, but it doesn't work.

I also have a Visa and Discover card issued by US financial institutions, but I don't live in the US right now. I have a US address where I once lived, but that place is rented out now. Can I use that address with one of my US credit cards, or would the Matrix system reject that? If I use a US address and a German phone number, will that cause the transaction to bounce?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

..me neither..i think its a new anti-card-theft code system that's been introduced widely in the US and a few other countries in only a few banks, but not available in most of Europe,or the rest of the world for that matter

..other than the fact that Matrix chose the card-handler and the system they provided, i don't think it's their fault,*

..and no, i doubt a US address will work, Amex don't use the new system yet, but my Amex card won't work either, this time i suspect because the payment machine checks the ISP (i'm currently in PI)and if it don't tie up with the card details then ......

..* on the other hand, if Matrix don't do something about this problem....

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beān'tus all..?,

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 2
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/24/2006 11:50:25 PM   
Okimaw

I had some credit card problems too. I have a prepaid mastercard issued in Canada that had more than enough on it. At first I had some issues to at first with correct billing info but even after correcting it wouldn't go through. What I did was opt for the wire transfer from my bank to theirs. It cost an extra $20 but I was playing the game within 24 hrs

I have returned

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 3
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/24/2006 11:55:25 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okimaw

I had some credit card problems too. I have a prepaid mastercard issued in Canada that had more than enough on it. At first I had some issues to at first with correct billing info but even after correcting it wouldn't go through. What I did was opt for the wire transfer from my bank to theirs. It cost an extra $20 but I was playing the game within 24 hrs

..yahh, and i could always try for trans-pacific phone call

..why should Direct River get extra cash on top because they can't be arsed to make their machinery work outside of the US ?

..its not just them, it's a recent phenomena with many US card-handlers, for me it started with yahoo..

(in reply to Okimaw)
Post #: 4
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/25/2006 12:01:46 AM   
Okimaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..why should Direct River get extra cash on top because they can't be arsed to make their machinery work outside of the US ?

..its not just them, it's a recent phenomena with many US card-handlers, for me it started with yahoo..

It's actually my/your bank that makes the extra $$$ , commission & telegraph tolls. We should probably also thank all the organized crime gangs for making credit cards such a hassle by identity theft and countrfeiting

I have returned

Post #: 5
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/25/2006 12:13:47 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okimaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

It's actually my/your bank that makes the extra $$$ , commission & telegraph tolls. We should probably also thank all the organized crime gangs for making credit cards such a hassle by identity theft and countrfeiting

..right, except for the bank transfer option where it's DR that add the handling charge...a handling charge because their machinery don't work

..as for organised crime/money laundering and other, visit the UN site and see their reports on the remaindered money problem and the difficulties being caused by this sort of stupidity....

..personally i believe in fairies more than i believe in anything that comes up as a result of some chimp's paranoia

(in reply to Okimaw)
Post #: 6
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/25/2006 12:26:41 AM   
a white rabbit

..error code 30024002-0

..what fun....

..later edit, and DR doesn't like .ph addresses either..

..more amusement...

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 6/25/2006 12:41:24 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/25/2006 12:44:01 AM   
alaric99x

Thanks for the responses guys, interesting to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.

$20 is no big sacrifice, but it shouldn't be necessary to pay a third party to make this pürchase happen. Maybe the European Giro system will work for me, I'll wait for advice from Matrix about how I could pay them.

I can always wait for Matrix to come to Europe for some convention and then drive there and just pay cash

I don't blame Matrix, they obviously want to sell this, and other games, and would wish to make it easy to do so.

Post #: 8
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/25/2006 6:04:14 AM   
Erik Rutins

Gentlemen,

I can check into this in more detail on Monday, but in the meantime I would suggest e-mailing support@matrixgames.com as well as erikr@matrixgames.com with your order info. I can forward your e-mails to the credit card folks at DR who can try to figure out what's going on.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 9
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/25/2006 7:08:25 AM   
a white rabbit

..thanks Erik, something's not right here, if you can find out what it is it'l help with this increasingly frustrating and generalised card prob..

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/25/2006 11:52:03 PM   
alaric99x

I was very pleased with myself that I was able to defeat the "system" by giving my US Visa card number together with an address in the US where I haven't lived for over 8 years.  There was a momentary challenge when the "system" refused to accept my European phone number, but I remembered the area code for the part of Maryland where I used to live and then my credit card was accepted.

Unfortunately, when I downloaded the file I wasn't able to open the file because it was "adulterated" or "invalid."  I downloaded 3 times on my home computer and then once on my laptop, nothing worked.  Now my credit card has been duly credited, I have an order number and serial number, but still no game.  I recall reading some posts from people who had similar problems with downloading the game and I'll check those again to discover new wisdoms.

I'm very enthusiastic about what Matrix is doing for wargaming, but it's certainly been hard for me to buy one of those wargames.  It was a challenge for me to find a way to pay for this game.  In spite of the "system," I've been able to find a way to credit Matrix with the $39.99, but I still don't have a game I can use, I have a file that my computer tells me is adulterated.  I've got virus protection on my home computer and my laptop, I guess this is the reason for my problem, but I've never had such a problem buying a product.

Post #: 11
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/26/2006 2:26:07 AM   
ralphtricky

What did you try to unzip the file with?

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 12
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/26/2006 10:35:08 AM   
alaric99x

Greetings Ralph, thank you for your attention to my problem.

I can't really answer that. I just double clicked on the file folder, that's always worked before. I have the file folder in my home computer and my laptop, but double click gives me an error message on both and I can't get any further.

Is the problem in my "operator headspace?" I'm not that computer smart, a double click is at the present limit of my creative abilities.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 13
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/26/2006 2:32:38 PM   
Okimaw

This is just my two cents but it sounds like you need an unzip program. Some older comps don't come with these utilities, mine didn't. Here's a link to a free trial version. Try this. Install right click and you're off to the races.
http://www.powerzip.biz/download.aspx

I have returned

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 14
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/26/2006 3:07:21 PM   
alaric99x

Thanks for your suggestion.

I downloaded the Zip program, but it doesn't work either.  I get the same error message, only now it's in English instead of German:

"The archive file appears to be damaged or corrupt.  If you have downloaded the file from the Internet, please download the file again or contact the vendor of the file."

(in reply to Okimaw)
Post #: 15
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/26/2006 3:20:56 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

I was very pleased with myself that I was able to defeat the "system" by giving my US Visa card number together with an address in the US where I haven't lived for over 8 years.  There was a momentary challenge when the "system" refused to accept my European phone number, but I remembered the area code for the part of Maryland where I used to live and then my credit card was accepted.

Unfortunately, when I downloaded the file I wasn't able to open the file because it was "adulterated" or "invalid."  I downloaded 3 times on my home computer and then once on my laptop, nothing worked.  Now my credit card has been duly credited, I have an order number and serial number, but still no game.  I recall reading some posts from people who had similar problems with downloading the game and I'll check those again to discover new wisdoms.

I'm very enthusiastic about what Matrix is doing for wargaming, but it's certainly been hard for me to buy one of those wargames.  It was a challenge for me to find a way to pay for this game.  In spite of the "system," I've been able to find a way to credit Matrix with the $39.99, but I still don't have a game I can use, I have a file that my computer tells me is adulterated.  I've got virus protection on my home computer and my laptop, I guess this is the reason for my problem, but I've never had such a problem buying a product.

..congrats , i'l try using US phone codes instead

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 16
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/26/2006 3:33:40 PM   
alaric99x

Thank you.

Feel free to use my former area code, 401

Post #: 17
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/26/2006 3:36:50 PM   
a white rabbit

...Erik, Matrix staff

..and to the Pilippines as well,

..now that just leaves the patch.....

Post #: 18
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/26/2006 3:41:54 PM   
alaric99x

Do you mean to say that actually worked for you!?!?

I was just about to send you my credit card info to help you out, I guess that won't be necessary now.

Post #: 19
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/26/2006 5:03:04 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

Do you mean to say that actually worked for you!?!?

I was just about to send you my credit card info to help you out, I guess that won't be necessary now.

..yup, finally, Amex from a .ph address via a french bank..

..and i was thinking of asking you to pay for a second copy, and send me the code, sort out the cash later, thanks for your offer, mucho appreciated

..when it's installed fancy taking our new toy out for an airing in pbem ?

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 6/26/2006 5:06:57 PM >

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 20
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/27/2006 12:46:59 AM   
alaric99x

Well Rabbit, you're the only one who has this toy now, mine just won't extract.

I took my laptop to work where there's someone who knows more than I do about computers.  He used a few programs and spent almost 2 hours trying to unzip the game file, no luck there either.  As you can see on this thread, no more help from the Matrix staff yet.  In spite of the effort to find a way to pay them, I still have nothing I can use.

I'd like to do PBEM, but I've never tried it with the TOAW series.

Post #: 21
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/27/2006 6:35:23 AM   
Erik Rutins

Alaric,

quote:

Well Rabbit, you're the only one who has this toy now, mine just won't extract.

I took my laptop to work where there's someone who knows more than I do about computers. He used a few programs and spent almost 2 hours trying to unzip the game file, no luck there either. As you can see on this thread, no more help from the Matrix staff yet. In spite of the effort to find a way to pay them, I still have nothing I can use.

I'd like to do PBEM, but I've never tried it with the TOAW series.

It sounds like something really went wrong with your download. Rather than continuing to work on the corrupt file you received, I would suggest the following.

Go to www.stardownloader.com and download their free software. Then go to www.findmyorder.com and re-download, using StarDownloader, to a new location. Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 22
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/27/2006 12:33:16 PM   
a white rabbit

..2 restarts due to power cuts, a lousy download speed cos of a tropical low pressure area (a nearly typhoon), and using Opera, the thinking man's browser and it unzipped a treat using the Opera unzipper...

..multiple dancing bananas...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 23
RE: Lost in Europe - 6/27/2006 7:54:42 PM   
alaric99x

Greetings Erik,

Yes! - that one worked, thank you!

....then I was compelled to immediately start playing something, anything, and it does seem that Elmer is on the warpath now, a truly aggressive little beast.  Congratulations to Ralph on the programming work!  

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Lost in Europe Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI