Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Box" graphics for Matrix Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> "Box" graphics for Matrix Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/25/2006 4:12:16 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have noticed, that in more than a few cases (and maybe more if I have only seen a few), people are mistaking the "box looking" graphic representing your games, for actual boxes.

Long term Matrix Games fans likely know that some games have been, or possibly still are, sold in actual retail shelf type boxes. But not all actually are. In some cases it is just a dvd case (which frankly I think is worth more than a box).

Someone should alert the person(s) that provide the work for maintaining the games web site, that these graphics are leading to unintended misrepresentations, which are not being well received after the fact sometimes.

Why some obsess over a box can sometimes be just plain unknowable, but, the customer is best served when they remain happy after the purchase I guess.

I would suggest, that some effort be taken, to brutally clearly spell out more obviously that dvd cases are what is being used, when they are being used. This could even be fixed, by just not rendering the image as a box, but rather just a flat picture of the same artwork. In that way, neither a box nor a dvd case is implied.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/25/2006 5:00:20 PM   
Hertston

Virtually all PC and console games are sold in DVD cases in Europe, and have been for years. I like them, less storage space needed - I always ditched cardboard boxes anyway. Anyway, a 'DVD case' is still a "box"!

Seems like a non-issue to me. The only problem I can see is that there is still a frequent expectation that a boxed game (including DVD cased ones) will include a printed manual. If there isn't one, that should be made a little clearer, I think.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/25/2006 5:02:24 PM   
Marc von Martial

As you might have noticed we did that switch from "retail box" look to DVD cases long ago allready I think the last 8 or 10 releases show the actuall DVD box / case / package you get. Furthermore our main page for the shop indicates clearly what you get with the different versions you can purchase:

quote:

What is a Physical Shipment?
If all you want is a copy of the game without any digital download, select this choice. If you select "Physical Shipment" you will be billed to have the game shipped to you. Our Physical Shipment provides you with a printed CD with your serial number enclosed in a printed DVD case.

Other then that this is not unique to us since these "promo" artwork is normally long done before the actuall product is released. I have ordered games where I got a completly different box, even with completly different artwork on it then advertised on the website. Boxshot are promotional, nothing more.

It is nice to see that you don't have other things to worry about

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 6/25/2006 5:04:10 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/25/2006 6:53:51 PM   
jchastain

Yep, this is a non-issue in my mind.  While a few do care about a box, things are very clearly marked on the purchase pages so I cannot imagine how anyone could reasonably claim to have been unaware of what they were buying or confused by the picture.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 4
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/25/2006 7:34:48 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Oh I wouldn't want anyone to think "I" was worried :) quite the contrary, I often wonder how some can arrive at the conclusions they do.

I can still find box ie "cardboard" box emulating images on the site here though. And all I am saying, is "some" people are leaping to innaccurate conclusions.

Myself, I am just passing on the thoughts :)

When I buy a Matrix Games title, all I want is the digital data. I routinely have a few hundred blank dvds, and scores of dvd cases lying around, the last thing "I" am going to spend 10 bucks on, is to have Matrix Games send me a disc and a dvd case hehe. I'd rather spend the 10 bucks on the next didgital download :)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 5
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/25/2006 8:00:52 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

And all I am saying, is "some" people are leaping to innaccurate conclusions.

Care to share links, recent voices of concern, or something the like?

quote:

I can still find box ie "cardboard" box emulating images on the site here though.

Yes, those are the old titles. And in all honesty I have currently far more important things to do then to render other boxshots for them

Non issue, a so called "summer slump" topic.

Post #: 6
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/25/2006 11:17:27 PM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

More like "Deja vu all over again". Some things never change.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 7
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/26/2006 6:56:42 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can still find box ie "cardboard" box emulating images on the site here though.

Yes, those are the old titles. And in all honesty I have currently far more important things to do then to render other boxshots for them

I'd love to have links handy for every topic I ever read Marc, but that's not a doable. But, as I see it, you are not worried. I plan to relay that sentiment if it comes to it, if the matter actually DOES get raised again wherever.

Post #: 8
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/26/2006 8:30:19 AM   
Tankerace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd love to have links handy for every topic I ever read Marc, but that's not a doable. But, as I see it, you are not worried. I plan to relay that sentiment if it comes to it, if the matter actually DOES get raised again wherever.

I'm just curious, but why is this an issue? I understand your concern, but 1) Why would anybody in their right mind care about the difference between the two (box vs dvd), 2) Why is this an issue for old games, when it is seemingly policy in every company to stop updating the game's website after a set period of time, and 3) Like Marc posted, it clearly said the words "DVD Case". I think the real issue is not Matrix giving false impressions, but rather your "certain" consumers not reading the fine print.

Sort of reminds me of the those get rich quick commercials that show all the people that made "$5,000 dollars their first week!" obviously sending that message, while in small white text at the bottom of the screen clearly displaying "results not typical." Legally, the ad can show anything it wants, so long as it has a disclaimer or a clear message indicating actual product/results.

Not that I don't doubt there are some who worry about it, but those people have way too much time on their hands. Like Hertston, I agree the only (potential) issue is a printed manual, or lack thereof. Both of which are getting less common, in box traditional game boxes and Matrix style DVD cases.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

Post #: 9
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/26/2006 4:16:39 PM   
Raverdave

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 10
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/26/2006 4:23:26 PM   
Rainbow7

For myself, it's a non-issue.  But don't tell me that all of you have missed the countless posts from people that say they like to have the boxes for 'their collection'.  To them it might matter.

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 11
RE: "Box" graphics for Matrix Games - 6/26/2006 11:31:40 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

"I'm just curious, but why is this an issue? I understand your concern, but 1) Why would anybody in their right mind care about the difference between the two (box vs dvd), 2) Why is this an issue for old games, when it is seemingly policy in every company to stop updating the game's website after a set period of time, and 3) Like Marc posted, it clearly said the words "DVD Case". I think the real issue is not Matrix giving false impressions, but rather your "certain" consumers not reading the fine print."

It's not an issue for me (I hope I am making this clear enough).
But, I have seen people say the darndest things over time regarding stuff most of us would consider mind numbling obvious to all but the most mindless among us).

If a customer makes the entirely illogical conclusion, that they are getting a boxed (cardboard type box that is) retail edition copy sent to them, simply because their limited capacity to understand suggested that to them, and they get all in a snit over the reality when it arrives in the mail, that is either just one unusual blip on the radar, or a chance for Matrix Staff to look good smoothing out the confusion with a paying customer.
If anyone wants to search, I think the thread I first saw, was in Steel Panthers World at War, and was concerning a puchase of the Generals Edition product.

I was merely thinking out loud when I started the thread.
How many threads have we seen that concerned serial numbers lost, and the first thing that goes through your head is, WRITE IT DOWN IN MANY PLACES YOU FOOL!! But, some people just can't make that leap of logic it seems. Duh I lost my serial number, can you help me find it? I feel sorry for anyone that can find 60 bucks for a digital download, but can't find the reason for writing down their serial number in a dozen different locations. I have mine all over the computer, on the disk, written in a book and maybe elsewhere for my games.

Then there is another pet favourite of mine. "I live in the middle of nowhere, I have no friends that are online, let alone a computer with a disc burner drive, and I am thus unable to download a digital download purchase". I have tried to picture such a place, but never seem to be able to imagine a place so cut off from the 21st century. At least not one that doesn't involve spots in the Amazon or mountain tops in New Guinea.

So, what it all boils down to, is, does anyone here really care?
Initially I did enough to mention it.

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> "Box" graphics for Matrix Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI