Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CoG2 = American Civil War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> CoG2 = American Civil War Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 7:48:50 AM   
pixelpusher

Eric is too busy preparing for Origins to post right now, but in case you all missed this tidbit on the other thread:

"Visitors to the show will also be able to get first looks and hands-on time with some of our products that will be released later this year, including SSG’s Battlefront, Destroyer Studio’s sci-fi space combat game, Starshatter 2: The Gathering Storm, and ....
Western Civilization’s new Civil War game, Forge of Freedom.

Some improvements we've implemented so far:

1 Brigade level for units.

2 Allow for some control of setup at the start of detailed combat.

3 At the start of detailed combat, make an Initiative Check based on the stats of generals. Winner of the initiative check gets to pick terrain types he wants to fight in.

4 At the start of detailed combat, make a Scouting Check based on the types of units in the combat. Winner of the scouting check gets to try a "Scouting Action" against the other side: such things as Raid Supplies, Sneak Attack, Avoid the Battle, etc.

5 For military groups, keep track of a Logistical Staff and Command Staff rating that determines the movement, C&C, and supply capabilities of each military group.

6 For brigades, introduced a Strategic Supply rating, a Strategic-Level morale rating called "disposition", renamed the old morale to "quality", and added a weapon type stat for each unit. Also, brigades may have up to two different "attributes" and two different "special abilities" -- which represent access to particular equipment, personnel, expertise, or training.

7 Promotion and demotion of generals.

8 Added a "Command" rating to generals. Generals also have an expanded role maintaining disposition and helping the training of units on the strategic level. On the detailed combat level, generals have a few new things to do, like prevent units from panicking and keeping units in-command.

9 Added "Green", "Yellow", and "Red" Zones to detailed combat. Green Zone is normal; yellow and red zones represent areas where enemy units makes C&C with brigades difficult.

10 Added about 30 game setup options so that players can customize the complexity level of the politics, military, supply, and economy.

11 Enhanced fog-of-war at the strategic level. Clicking on a stack of units brings up a "scouting report" that gives only an approximate tally of enemy units based on the scouting values of units in adjacent provinces versus the scouting value of enemy units in the vicinity.

12 Expanded the options for developing provinces economically.

< Message edited by pixelpusher -- 6/28/2006 8:01:01 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 8:07:34 AM   
benpark

Fantastic news.

Any pictures?

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to pixelpusher)
Post #: 2
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 9:02:14 AM   
jimwinsor

Detailed ironclad battles? 

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 3
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 3:04:04 PM   
Hard Sarge

Not sure what can be released or shown "yet"

but put it this way, if you liked CoG, you gonna love FoF

I was hooked the first day, (which I am sure Eric would be surprised to know)

once we are told we can talk about what is going on, we will show what we can :)

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 4
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 5:45:42 PM   
cambronne

Awesome additions. I would love to see those implemented in COG too.
You can count on a purchase from me.

Post #: 5
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 6:23:30 PM   
Marc von Martial

Just to wet your appetite more. Pixelpusher has created an even better looking map then the COG one

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 6/28/2006 7:55:57 PM >

(in reply to cambronne)
Post #: 6
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 6:40:42 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Just to wet your appetite more. Pixelpusher has created an even better looking mpa then the COG one 

I am hopeing you mean MAP, cause I not found the mpa yet ?

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 7
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 6:53:24 PM   
Southern Hunter

While ACW is not normally my favourite period, with the CoG engine I think it will be a real winner.

Looking forward to it.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 7:02:11 PM   
DrewBlack

Finally my prayers are answered a ACW game on a massive scale.  I cant wait!!! Beta tested CoG hope there is a spot there for me as well!!!!

Excellant!!!

(in reply to Southern Hunter)
Post #: 9
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/28/2006 9:23:34 PM   
JReb

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hunter

While ACW is not normally my favourite period, with the CoG engine I think it will be a real winner.

Looking forward to it.

This is great news! I had read it was using the GGWaW engine which didn't excite me very much. But this...

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!

(in reply to Southern Hunter)
Post #: 10
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 1:32:31 AM   
Gil R.

Another addition, not in Pixelpusher's list at the top of the thread: 1000 generals and 100 authentic brigades and regiments. The Iron Brigade, for example, will be a damned good unit to have on your side...

(in reply to JReb)
Post #: 11
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 4:37:21 AM   
Reiryc

Can't wait!

Thanks guys.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 12
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 4:52:10 AM   
Gil R.

I'm sitting in a Columbus, Ohio coffee shop -- Cafe Apropos, one of the best coffee shops you'll ever find -- waiting for the others to arrive for Origins, so what the heck, here's another tidbit of information: detailed battle will include entrenchments (i.e., the ability entrench), since, after all, what would a Civil War game be without entrenchments? So, if night falls and the enemy is all around you, and you've got one of the entrenchment upgrades, and your units aren't too tired and cranky, you can begin to dig in...

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 13
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 5:06:37 AM   
Arnir

Sounds great.  I'm looking forward to it.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 14
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 5:37:47 AM   
viking92001

This sounds great! I am looking foreward to it.

Post #: 15
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 8:27:18 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: JReb

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hunter

Looking forward to it.

This is great news! I had read it was using the GGWaW engine which didn't excite me very much. But this...

Er so this is a different game than the upcoming Civil War Game using the GGWAW engine correct because its using the COG engine? Am I hearing right? Two upcoming Civil War games?! I hope this is what I am hearing!

(in reply to JReb)
Post #: 16
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 8:32:21 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrewBlack

Finally my prayers are answered a ACW game on a massive scale.  I cant wait!!!Excellant!!!

Ditto here! Ive been waiting for something like this for a long time!!! The GGWAW version did just not sound as massive as I have been hoping for...Ill probably end up getting both games anyway!

I see Joel just posted a screenshot of the GGWAW version:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1172930&mpage=1&key=?

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 6/29/2006 8:53:36 AM >

(in reply to DrewBlack)
Post #: 17
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 2:25:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yep, there are several Civil War games in the works. Here's the rough sequence of release:

1. Forge Of Freedom from Western Civilization Software (Grand Strategy, based on a massively updated Crown of Glory engine) - Great game based on the beta, should release this Summer
2. Battleground Civil War (an updated compilation of all the TalonSoft ACW titles in one package) - Should release this Summer
2. Gary Grigsby's American Civil War from 2by3 Games (Grand Strategy, based on a massively updated GGWAW engine) - Excellent game based on the alpha, should release by Q1 2007
3. Frank Hunter's ACW - This is farther off, but will be Frank's take on ACW grand strategy

I think ACW gamers will have a lot to enjoy here and from what I've seen FoF and GGACW will complement each other as each has a different approach to grand strategy. I'm sure some will prefer one or the other, but you really need to try both.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 18
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 3:31:46 PM   
Southern Hunter

Erik,

Sounds good.

As a personal plea, can you not use seasons to describe when it is going to be released? It really doesn't mean anything for many people...Summer where? It isn't even that your Summer is our Winter, it is much more complicated than that. A pet peeve, sorry I will go back to lurking now...

Hunter

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 19
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 5:17:38 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yep, there are several Civil War games in the works. Here's the rough sequence of release:

1. Forge Of Freedom from Western Civilization Software (Grand Strategy, based on a massively updated Crown of Glory engine) - Great game based on the beta, should release this Summer
2. Battleground Civil War (an updated compilation of all the TalonSoft ACW titles in one package) - Should release this Summer
2. Gary Grigsby's American Civil War from 2by3 Games (Grand Strategy, based on a massively updated GGWAW engine) - Excellent game based on the alpha, should release by Q1 2007
3. Frank Hunter's ACW - This is farther off, but will be Frank's take on ACW grand strategy

I think ACW gamers will have a lot to enjoy here and from what I've seen FoF and GGACW will complement each other as each has a different approach to grand strategy. I'm sure some will prefer one or the other, but you really need to try both.

That's enough then for the Civil War, on to the "French and Indian War" and the "War of Independence"

Post #: 20
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 8:03:34 PM   
Russian Guard

Dare I ask...? Sounds to me (the phrase "massively updated" was used) like any hope of having these big changes to the game engine, added to CoG, is not likely...? Sounds like it would be a massive overhaul of CoG.

But I'm askin' anyway

Post #: 21
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 9:00:03 PM   
Clausel

Second that. I suppose that may require a COG mark 2 which presumably will depend on the market prospects (ie take up of FOF). Not sure what it means for any future patches for COG.

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 22
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/29/2006 9:03:49 PM   
ironduke1955

Ok can't say I share the general enthusiasm. Come on guys Blue and Grey, could you have picked any more duller colour schemes for a war. Apart from the odd pair of red pantaloons alla le Zoaves. Some bright eppalettes maybe the odd plume even god forbid a bearskin. I blame the ACW for starting a trend in dull wars. Well at least they didn't wear Beige.

Post #: 23
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/30/2006 12:37:45 AM   
pixelpusher

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark
Fantastic news.
Any pictures?

Not for a little while yet. But ... if you stop by the Matrix booth at Origins, you can talk to the guys and play the beta version.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ironduke1955
Come on guys Blue and Grey, could you have picked any more duller colour schemes for a war.

It's hard to beat napoleonic era for sheer military colorful splendiferousness.

Zuaves = to be determined.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russian Guard
to the game engine, added to CoG, is not likely...? Sounds like it would be a massive overhaul of CoG.

Maybe. If you liked CoG you'll certainly like Forge. Some of the changes wouldn't make sense w/ CoG, different political situation. Brigade level CoG would be a LONG game! Getting the right Generals in the right places is a much bigger deal in FoF.

That said some of the cooler graphic stuff and new detailed battle rules might be able to snap in easily. We'll see.

EricBabe can describe the overall gameplay changes far better than can I. We've tried to make it appeal to a wider variety of play styles.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
Just to wet your appetite more. Pixelpusher has created an even better looking map then the COG one

Aw shucks! (It does look pretty good, though.)

(in reply to ironduke1955)
Post #: 24
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 6/30/2006 2:05:38 AM   
Russian Guard

Thanks for the reply - in your list of items in your first post, the three most interesting things (to me) that would add much flavor and improved "feel" of the Napoleonic period would be:

1) Increasing the importance of Generals in detailed battle (not sure what others' experiences are, but I see no significant difference whether Davout or Soult or Bernadotte is leading a Corps in detail battles - performance differences seem small)

2) Adding the enhanced "fog of war" you mention, at the strategic level (love the tension that can bring, and adds to the value of cossacks and cavalry screens, etc)

3) Adding the "Initiative" factor for detailed battles, allowing the winner to choose his terrain (relates to #1)

If adding those to CoG at some future point is "snap in" easy, I say go for it

Post #: 25
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 7/1/2006 1:03:01 AM   
Warfare1

This is excellent news about Civil War games.

Especially if many new features are added to CoG, I might even pick up this game as well.

These types of games are the reason why I became a wargamer....

Post #: 26
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 7/3/2006 3:47:24 PM   
Javakamp

I just got back from Origins and got to see and play a bit with the Beta for Forge. Unfortunately I didn't have time to really play with the new features much, but what I saw looked great. I'm looking forward to the release.   When I saw COG at last year's Origins I said, this looks great, and I think it would work really well as an engine for an ACW game. So I am totally taking credit for Forge of Freedom geting made.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 27
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 7/4/2006 5:47:02 AM   
Budgie

Quotes
Gil R  - "waiting for the others to arrive for Origins,"
Javakamp - "I just got back from Origins "

Sigh. I haven't been to a Origins Conference for 20 years now.

Perhaps next year.

I Game I Saw I Conquered

"And though the Ferris wheel spins round
my tongue it seems has run aground
and croaks as my befuddled brain
shines on brightly, quite insane "
--Shine On --Shine On --
- Procol Harum

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 28
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 7/4/2006 8:08:15 PM   
mogami

Hi, The WCS crew is a lot of fun to hang out with. (They gave me a ride home from Origins)  They love to talk design and listen to ideas.  I really think they have a bright future in the game business and well become favorites of many. My problem is too little time and too many games to play. (I need 3 or 4 more computers)
I highly recommend if at all possible you attend Origins in the future because it is worth it just to met and talk to all the folks connected to your favorite game (whichever it might be)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Budgie)
Post #: 29
RE: CoG2 = American Civil War - 7/7/2006 3:08:17 AM   
ahauschild

I do love the civil war area, but am not so sure if the game would have the same attraction as the napoleonic area.

In the civil war, you have two factions, imagine playing Crown of Glory only with two countries. I loved the many countries in the napol area, but again, not so sure how it would be if there was only two countries, south and north.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> CoG2 = American Civil War Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI