Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Typhoon: MrBendy vs Cpt Cruft (game over: Soviet Marginal)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Operation Typhoon: MrBendy vs Cpt Cruft (game over: Soviet Marginal) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Typhoon: MrBendy vs Cpt Cruft (game over: Sov... - 6/21/2006 1:58:54 AM   
Captain Cruft

Operation Typhoon

This is a PBEM game of the Operation Typhoon scenario in the WWII Eastern Front folder. Scenario details are as follows:

September 21st to December 17th 1941.
26 turns of half-week (13 weeks).
10km per hex, map size 63x68.
Designer: Brian Topp

I am playing the Glorious Patriotic Heroes of the Motherland while MrBendy will take on the role of the Evil Fascist Invaders. The first turn should be done in about 24 hours ...

Meanwhile, below is the map. Moscow is in the upper right corner and Voronezh in the bottom right.

Apparently, there are enough VPs for the Germans to win without taking Moscow as long as they destroy enough Soviet forces. We shall have to see about that ;)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 8/2/2006 2:49:42 AM >
Post #: 1
Moscow - 6/21/2006 2:31:26 AM   
Captain Cruft

Target Moscow

This picture shows Comrade Stalin (the yellow/orange HQ unit) nestling in amongst hordes of content civilian workers (the I units). They are content because the entrenchment value in most of the surrounding urban hexes is already at 100%, so they have little to do but wait until the Germans arrive!

You can also see several bomber units of the mighty Red Air Force. They all have proficiencies of between 10 and 20. Ouch.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 6/21/2006 4:44:48 PM >

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 2
RE: Moscow - 6/21/2006 7:07:21 AM   
Ecthelion008

This one is really tough.  The Soviet air forces are weak but, believe me, you will not have fun pushing through those 100% fortified rings around Moscow.  The hardest part is the fact that the Soviets can really sword and shield this map easily.  The terrain and weather drags the potential of any breakthrough in the fortified lines.  This means the Soviet reserves can respond very quickly (relative to you) and plug the gap, or even better, pinch off the base and destroy the spearhead.

Oh wait you're playing Soviet LOL... yeah, well there you have it, my set of tips LOL

Post #: 3
Turn 1 - 6/21/2006 11:02:46 PM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 1

Well turn 1 is over. The German panzer divisions are attacking strongly in the south, and three towns on the front line have fallen. Several Soviet infantry units have been eliminated or routed. How I'm supposed to hold the line with these troops I have no idea ... ;)

As far as my movements are concerned, I have just moved a few arty units around to hopefully more advantageous positions. All units at the front are now digging in and ignoring losses.

I have also moved some of my super-elite fighter units nearer the front in order to contest air superiority. For now, the bombers can stay back and just rest.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 6/21/2006 11:05:15 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Turn 1 (air) - 6/21/2006 11:07:53 PM   
Captain Cruft

Bizarrely enough, my air position is not as bad as I would have imagined. I was truly surprised when I looked at the air briefing below.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Turn 1 (PBEM playback) - 6/21/2006 11:11:25 PM   
Captain Cruft

The most exciting thing about this turn was encountering the PBEM Playback function for the first time. This is really natty IMHO - you can run it continously, step through one event at a time, step back an event, rewind and pause. Just like a VCR

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Turn 1 (overview) - 6/21/2006 11:28:42 PM   
Captain Cruft

Here's the strategic map. As you can see I have little in the way of reserves right now. Most of the red dots behind the lines are either fixed NKVD garrison units or airfields.

Serious reinforcements don't start arriving until turn 8.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
Turn 2 - 6/22/2006 3:43:37 AM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 2

Bryansk falls.

The Panzer and motorised infantry divisions in the south continue to advance, blowing away all resistance in their path. Further north, the German infantry has now woken up (i.e. activated) and is not doing badly either. Not so much combat but they successfully took Bryansk at the first time of asking. That is 10 VPs transferred from the good guys to the bad ...

First foolish mistake by myself: I thought I saw an opportunity for a counter-attack in the south. A lone 2-2 Panzer Bn had gotten ahead of the main force and was near to my tank-heavy Western Front reserves. So, I duly surrounded the beggar and set up an attack. These particular units all have proficiencies in the 60s so I thought it might work. The attack dialog informed me that chances were "excellent" and that 40% of the turn would be consumed.

No :) In fact the attack was beaten off with ease, half my units went into re-org and the turn ended there and then. Force proficiency check perhaps? You can see the end-result in the picture below.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Turn 2 (overview) - 6/22/2006 3:48:18 AM   
Captain Cruft

Here's the overview map after turn 2.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: Turn 1 (PBEM playback) - 6/22/2006 4:33:25 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft
The most exciting thing about this turn was encountering the PBEM Playback function for the first time. This is really natty IMHO - you can run it continously, step through one event at a time, step back an event, rewind and pause. Just like a VCR

Um....actually I think what you're thinking of as a step back button is actually the rewind button. I'm not at all sure that there is a one-step-back button. I wish there were.

Post #: 10
RE: Turn 1 (PBEM playback) - 6/22/2006 7:37:01 AM   
Veers

I second that emotion, Larry. We desperately need a 'take one step back' button. :)

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 11
RE: Turn 1 (PBEM playback) - 6/22/2006 7:50:59 PM   
Captain Cruft

Larry, you're right. It's still a great feature though IMHO.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 12
RE: Turn 1 (PBEM playback) - 6/22/2006 8:39:09 PM   
Mammou

I am playing this PBEM as the Soviets as well.  We are about T4 now.  You will start getting becoming distressed as you watch the Germans blow through entire armies as if they were not there.

Depending on how you fall back, there are some interesting (temporary) defensive positions which should be able to buy you a turn or three.

....I really hope the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Cheers,
Mammou

Post #: 13
RE: Turn 1 (PBEM playback) - 6/22/2006 10:46:17 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Um....actually I think what you're thinking of as a step back button is actually the rewind button. I'm not at all sure that there is a one-step-back button. I wish there were.

A step back button would be great, but what I would really like to see is a “Go To” button. As in Go To step XXX.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 14
RE: Turn 1 (PBEM playback) - 6/23/2006 2:13:30 AM   
Veers

Really, what we need is a timeline along the bottom, so that we can click on it and it can take us to the movement  we want to go to. ind of like the frames in a movie, click on a frame and viola. Hoepfully Matrix is looking at improving the whole playback feature for a future release.

If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 15
RE: Turn 1 (PBEM playback) - 6/24/2006 2:38:12 AM   
mrbendy

Mr. Bendy here,

This is my first PBEM, and I'm learning already! I've been making some notes as I went, so I'll just copy them straight in...

Background The scenario kicks off with most of the German forces locked while they resupply, with only the forces south of Chubchevsk ready for use. The briefing hints that moving these forces earlier than historically might be an advantage.
Pre-game strategy Noting the supply drop and VPs associated with Tula makes it an attractive proposition. Voronezh is also an option, but would probably detract from the overall effort towards Moscow. Other than that I just want to try and bag as many Russians as I can.   Turn 1 Starting the offensive early I have two aims for the south area this turn; secure the railhead at Belopol’ye and try and smash the Soviets between Sevsk and Ryl’sk.   Leaving the 9th Panzer & 10th Motorized to secure Belopol’ye the rest of 2nd Panzer group attacks what appears to be Girodnyansky’s 13th Army between Sevsk and Rylsk. Air units I leave to my comrades on the air staff (air assistant), but I will call in specific units if required.   Fierce fighting around Rylsk, with the SS Das Reich and 3 panzer divisions overwhelming the defensive force and capturing the town. Less success around Sevsk, although I think the 18th Panzer should take it this turn. Hopefully a nice pocket trapping the 13th Army forming on Dimitriyev.   Turn 2 Not too much response from the Ivans – hooking a lone tank division around the forces at Belopl’ye, cutting the rail link.   I’m going to try and spring the small pocket south of Sevsk – not sure how much of the 13th Army I can bag.
Further north I think the Soviets have pulled back from Bryansk – not sure why given the VPs, but I’ll take what I can get! Weichs should take the town this turn. Hoepner’s objective is Spas-Demansk. He has a good group here, interesting to see what fight the Soviets put up. Main thrust is with the Panzer units south of Yel’nya. Nothing from Kluge this turn in the North. Review South to North. Consolidated hold on Belopl’ye. The Tank unit that had hooked around the town was surrounded and destroyed quickly. I’ve left 10th Motorized to mop up and sent the SS Das Reich on to L’Gov, which they took without a fight. Closed and smashed the pocket between Sevsk and Rysk. Not sure how much of the 13th Army I got, but I think it was at least five rifle divisions and three tank divisions. Guderian is pleased – the road to Orel is open. Opposite at the moment is the tired remnants of 13th Army, but I am sure the Soviets will reinforce. Weichs took Bryansk, but it appears most of the defenders had just withdrawn across the river behind the town. However further north infantry cut the road north, and should be able to unhinge the line next turn. Hoepner’s Panzers look to have broken a hole in the line SE of Spas-Demansk – lets see how the Soviets respond. I’ve now switched more of the Luftwaffe over to interdiction.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 16
RE: Turn 1 (PBEM playback) - 6/24/2006 2:45:23 AM   
mrbendy

Heh, just read the threads on the other forums about using the air assistant. Next turn THAT is coming off.

(in reply to mrbendy)
Post #: 17
Turn 3 - 6/24/2006 5:04:40 AM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 3

This is not going well. The entire southern part of the front has collapsed to almost the point of non-existence. Plus, the Red Air Force is all re-organising, every single unit.

No piccies this time, maybe next turn when things are even worse ... ;)

(in reply to mrbendy)
Post #: 18
Turn 4 - 6/25/2006 11:18:38 PM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 4

Disaster.

Following the ill-advised counter-attack Western Front reserves have completely annihilated, and the whereabouts of Gen. Zhukov are unknown. Which is a bit of a problem since STAVKA has just appointed him to run the defence of Moscow (manifested in game as a reduction in Soviet shock event) ...

Here is the map.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Turn 4 - 6/26/2006 2:06:24 AM   
mrbendy

As anticipated the breakout by the trapped Soviet westfront tank reserve occurred, and I think they paid heavily for it, but managed to get at least a route through.
Orders this turn; 10th motorized to continue mopping up at Belopl’ye.
Intelligence suggested the Russians reinforced around Dimitiyev. 9th and 17th Panzer sprang the trap, and got themselves another pocket. Can it be true? It appears Zhukov himself and his West front command staff are in the town. Guderian orders the town taken at any cost. Meanwhile the rest of the forces trapped previously are surrounded and destroyed. Zhukov dies along with lots of artillery as the tanks of 9th Panzer roll through the town.
Kromy also falls futher east, allowing air unit to be moved much further forward.
Further north Weichs seems to be breaking through at Bryansk, mopping up the Soviet 50th Army.
Hoepner still has yet to take Spas-Demansk, but the defenders took a battering, and I think I should take it next turn. Hoepner’s forces were also able to surround the Soviet forces around Yel,nya (24th Army I think), and inflict very serious losses.
Still nothing from Kluge, but I should be able to use Hoepner to surround the large forces opposite Kluge in the next couple of turns.

Post #: 20
RE: Turn 4 - 6/26/2006 7:12:55 AM   
Veers

Very entertaining, lads. Good luck, Cruft.

(in reply to mrbendy)
Post #: 21
Turn 5 - 6/27/2006 11:14:49 PM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 5

Luck? Who needs luck? LOL. Yes, me!

There is little to report after turn 5. Guderian's spearhead has reached Orel, where the fearsome resident 1-1 NKVD garrison awaits.

I won't be posting any maps for a while, since they give too much intel to the enemy. Maybe when I have time to do an edit job to blank out sensitive areas ...

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 22
Turn 6 - 6/28/2006 12:41:29 AM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 6

The brave NKVD hold out at Orel against about half a panzer division. Wow!

Unfortunately, their comrades at Kursk did not do so well and have been summarily evaporated.

Things are still very desperate for the Soviets. However, one thing which gives me hope is that German command seems to insist on every single pocket being hoovered up, regardless of size. Which might just buy me that little extra bit of time.

Post #: 23
RE: Turn 6 - 6/28/2006 12:09:17 PM   
mrbendy

Germany upto end Turn 7

The German commanders nervously look to the gathering rainclouds in the sky. The advance is going well, but not quick enough. Guderian has now driven well past Orel, and captured Kursk. The drive northeast will resume, but most of the units are looking tired, and supplies are running short.  

Weichs is STILL mopping up troops past Bryansk, and needed assistance from some of Guderians' Panzer units. Whilst this has taken time, he should now be able to support the main drive.

The Luftwaffe did well this turn. Particular focus against the airfields at Uzlovaga - 240 enemy killed for 60 of my own. I feel the luftwaffe will be key if the Soviets find reserves to counterattack.

In the north Hoepner finally cleared Spas-Demansk, and now stands poised to either swing north or north-east.

I probably have only a couple more turns to make a real difference here...

Post #: 24
RE: Turn 6 - 6/28/2006 10:50:07 PM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 7

Things remain exceedingly dire. Orel has fallen and now the panzer spearheads are only about two turns away from Tula.

One small consolation. Contrary to the blatant German propaganda previously reported, our brave, patriotic and un-trained air force pilots had a very good turn in the air:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 6/28/2006 10:51:54 PM >

(in reply to mrbendy)
Post #: 25
RE: Turn 6 - 6/28/2006 11:36:13 PM   
Industrial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

One small consolation. Contrary to the blatant German propaganda previously reported, our brave, patriotic and un-trained air force pilots had a very good turn in the air:

Uh, you DO know that the air report is quite inaccurate, don't you? The air force is notorious for bragging, so only your own losses are correct, while the (predicted) enemy losses should be divided by 3 to come closer to the real results

"The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

<--- aka: Kraut

Post #: 26
RE: Turn 6 - 6/30/2006 1:44:46 AM   
Captain Cruft

Yep I did know that. My purpose was merely to show that the air battle is not completely one-sided 

(in reply to Industrial)
Post #: 27
Turn 8 - 6/30/2006 1:55:08 AM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 8

Well I under-estimated just how quickly the Germans could make it to Tula. Cavalry units have been spotted around 20km from this strategic location. Strategic meaning that the Soviets get a -5 supply stockpile reduction should the Germans occupy it ...

On the bright side, I have received the first of many scheduled re-inforcements, in the form of the 20th Army. They are now hurrying towards the front. Unfortunately, due to my hurry, I completely forgot to realise that I could have entrained the units. Therefore they are travelling by road and suffering supply and readiness losses as a result.

Oh well, you live and learn ...

On the "event front", we have now gone into "mud mode", meaning that supply only extends 2 hexes from railheads, as opposed to the norm of 8 hexes. This should in theory be an advantage for the Soviets, since all my forces that were far from rail lines have been exterminated. LOL.

Post #: 28
Turn 9 - 7/1/2006 3:03:13 AM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 9

Tula holds

Well I managed to get the afore-mentioned 20th Army to Tula, to help out the 5th Gds Cav Corps, who had been dug in there for some time.

The town holds, and we have even driven some of the hordes of enemy recon units back! I notice that most of the evil fascists are in yellow or orange status, some are even red. Perhaps there is hope after all ...

Elsewhere, the one remaining part of my original front line is now under serious assault. This is in the Vyazma area. I am being a bit cheeky here and trying to pocket part of the 11th Pz Div, which had broken through right up to the top map edge. I figure that if the brave heroes of the Motherland are going to die they might as well make a fight of it. Sitting in Fortified mode against these Germans doesn't seem to do much good anyway.

Most pleasingly, I got my first evaporation this turn. A battered tank brigade in the "Vyazma woods" area attacked an adjacent pesky Krad unit for the hell of it. To my surprise and delight I not only got an over-run but the motorbike boys completely disappeared!

From this, and the action around Tula, I would guess that MrBendy likes to split his recon units up to cover more ground ...

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 7/1/2006 3:11:46 AM >

Post #: 29
RE: Turn 9 - 7/4/2006 4:36:57 AM   
Captain Cruft

Turn 11

I'm not sure what happened to turn 10, oh well ...

Little change really - the mud is definitely slowing the Germans down.

Tula continues to hold out, despite some of the defending units getting beaten up pretty badly. I have also noticed some recon elements attempting to surround me to the north-east. However, since I am blocking the road and rail in this area and these units are probably in at least orange state I'm not too worried.

Things around Vyazma and to the west are pretty chaotic. I keep trying to counter-attack against the weak recon and arty units, just to confuse things and threaten counter-encirclement.

The only new point worth mentioning is that German elements are now approaching the Kaluga area, which is a fortified line in the centre of the map about the same distance from Moscow as Tula. Let's see if my brave boys there can do as well as the guys at Tula. If they can, then I might start to get vaguely optimistic about not losing this game ...

Here is a heavily-censored map showing the front-line areas.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 7/4/2006 4:38:14 AM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Operation Typhoon: MrBendy vs Cpt Cruft (game over: Soviet Marginal) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI