Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wish list

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: Wish list Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wish list - 6/12/2006 7:02:33 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

"1) I would like to see an improved starting setup, with units organized into companies and battalions placed together. That is to say, identify a piece of terrain (the crest of a hill, a farm) as "key terrain" then place a company there -- lined up -- facing the advancing enemy. The next company in that battalion gets placed to its right or left, in the next available piece of decent terrain, with entrenchments or trenches forming terrain where needed."

YES YES YES to this!

It's the main reason playing a campaign with a unit larger than regiment is not worth the hassle. It can take a few hours just to sort out a Corp!

I like all the other suggestions too. Anything to improve the AI is good with me.

I do not have this series installed on my hard drive at present and it has been... years since I played one of these games. I can't recall but is there an option to highlight all units of a specific organization (as in the Battleground and HPS Campaign series)? If not, then that is definitely something I want to see added.

I tend to be a bit obsessive about keeping my units in good order, whether it is a modern game or earlier.

I think that having units all neatly lined up for you in good defensive terrain at the start of a game is unrealistic though. In a fantasy scenario perhaps, but the real world was never that neat. It might be good to have setup boxes with the units organized for you which you could then drag onto the map to place. However, just being able to click on a unit and instantly see all peer and subordinate units in it's chain of command would be super.

Again, I haven't played this in quite awhile so this may be way off the mark. If so, I apologize.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 91
RE: Wish list - 6/12/2006 7:30:12 PM   
James Ward

"I tend to be a bit obsessive about keeping my units in good order, whether it is a modern game or earlier.

I think that having units all neatly lined up for you in good defensive terrain at the start of a game is unrealistic though. "

It really pays to keep them close to the hQ units as your units rally easier and get supplied better. I TRY to keep the close :)

As far as lining units up neatly in terrain, I think that's unrealistic but they should be grouped together during the deployment phase so that you can set up quicker.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 92
RE: Wish list - 6/12/2006 8:25:05 PM   
33sherman

While having the units set up in defensive terrain, creatively, may be unrealistic, it would be still a big improvement if the battalions were deployed in a standard pattern, all together, regardless of terrain. And preferably with artillery in the rear. The problem is having all the units randomly scattered across the board, willy-nilly.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 93
RE: Wish list - 6/12/2006 8:46:25 PM   
James Ward

"The problem is having all the units randomly scattered across the board, willy-nilly."

Ain't that the truth.

I also hope they mix up the arrival order of reinforcements or increase the number of turns based on map size. I mean what's the point of having Corp artillery if it always arrives just before the end of the scenario!

(in reply to 33sherman)
Post #: 94
RE: Wish list - 6/17/2006 1:45:13 AM   
HobbesACW

You don't get the impression that anyone at Matrix ever actually looks at these messages.

If they do - as a scenario designer a variable visibility would add so much to the game
and would surely be fairly easy to do.

I would love to make a scenario that covers the first few days of the D-day landings without having to ask the players to amend the visibility by editing a file.

The idea that each turn represents 6 minutes is very debatable - an hour or two is
more realistic in my view.

Chris

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 95
RE: Wish list - 6/20/2006 1:23:21 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: hobbes

You don't get the impression that anyone at Matrix ever actually looks at these messages.

If they do - as a scenario designer a variable visibility would add so much to the game
and would surely be fairly easy to do.

I would love to make a scenario that covers the first few days of the D-day landings without having to ask the players to amend the visibility by editing a file.

The idea that each turn represents 6 minutes is very debatable - an hour or two is
more realistic in my view.

Chris

Of course they do! I've never seen a more responsive company!

Sometimes they drop the ball, but I'd score Matrix a big 98% for listening!

Of course, the poor old Campaign series is about last on their list of priorities so I don't expect a lot of feedback right now, but it will come when a developer is actively working on this title. Meanwhile, keep the suggestions coming... they will be looked at and given consideration.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 96
RE: Wish list - 6/20/2006 7:19:41 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

Of course, the poor old Campaign series is about last on their list of priorities so I don't expect a lot of feedback right now, but it will come when a developer is actively working on this title.

Which is kind of sad....I've always thought the Campaign Series were Talonsoft's most popular games and one of, if not the highest sellers.....judging by the amount of posts on their old message boards anyway...

Also I'm pretty sure there are some peeps working on these titles right now....maybe they're just shy about posting here...

Now the dev of BtR and especially the devs of TOAW really know how to hype their respective titles! Hopefully the same will happen here one of these days...

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 97
RE: Wish list - 6/26/2006 5:43:13 PM   
Armybrat

I hope they add the campaign where you can start with Operation Case Blue and continue until the end of the war.

Why, you may take the most gallant sailor, the most intrepid airman or the most audacious soldier, put them at a table together - what do you get? The sum of their fears - Winston Churchill

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 98
RE: Wish list - 6/28/2006 8:08:17 PM   
Danish Rommel

I just love this game. Five years in a row. Looking forward to the release – If something like these changes would be implemented I would most certainly buy the game:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-         Much more infantry/tanks modifiers in manoeuvre-restricted areas. Tanks should certainly not be able to assault infantry in a cityhex without getting a major penalty (unless co. assault with inf.) In that way infantry unit and coordinated attack will be much more valuable

-         Stealth move mode for infantry – (can move one hex without detection – unless moved into zone of control of an enemy unit)

-         Opp. Fire. Should be programmable in regards to direction and distance

-         Additional Engineer options – building tank-barricades, setting up barbed wire and lay down mines. Should take about 5-6 turns

-         Weather can change = Line of sight can change during battle.

-         Better protection against cheaters in PBEM games

-         A zoom-out and up-speed replay when finish (like in Sid Meier’s Gettysburg )

Danish Rommel

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 99
RE: Wish list - 6/30/2006 4:45:11 PM   
Danish Rommel

[

< Message edited by Danish Rommel -- 6/30/2006 4:47:27 PM >

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 100
RE: Wish list - 6/30/2006 4:49:28 PM   
Danish Rommel

hmmm..... why was my post copied.....

< Message edited by Danish Rommel -- 6/30/2006 4:52:44 PM >

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 101
RE: Wish list - 7/13/2006 2:16:06 AM   
PaladinSix

Something that always bugged me about the original WF (and this may have been fixed in RS, which I haven't played) is the fact that enemy units are spotted only:

1) when they open fire
2) when you bump into them, or
3) at the end of your turn when the system checks line of sight and spotting.

If possible, I'd like to see a system in which a moving unit has a chance to spot an enemy during the friendly's move, rather than waiting until all units have moved and its the next turn. For instance, a unit is ordered to move down a road and halfway through the movement, they spot a infantry unit in the farmhouse ahead. It would allow for more tactical flexibility and require greater care in laying out defensive positions, not to mention be more realistic. Under the current system, its as if a moving unit is blind until they stop and wait for the end of the turn, or unless they literally bump into someone. This leads to situations in which an entire formation moves towards an objective and only then realizes that they are only two hexes away from dug-in defenders.

Ideally, the chance of spotting someone would be based on terrain and weather and the type of unit, both friendly and enemy. It would be great if recon units had higher spotting percentages than infantry, which would have higher percentages than armor, etc. That would provide a use for all those divisional cavalry units which now tend to do "reconaissance by death."

By the way, I realize that one could just put a recon unit in a position with good line of sight and wait for the turn to end, but they tend to draw fire from every enemy and rarely survive long. Plus, as discussed before in this thread, the larger scenarios don't usually leave a lot of turns to spare. Kind of annoying to burn an entire turn while the recon guys sit on some hilltop with binoculars and the rest of the division sits lined up on a road.

PaladinSix

(in reply to Danish Rommel)
Post #: 102
RE: Wish list - 7/19/2006 8:57:52 PM   
Lee Chard

I also use 2D for most of my movement. when 3D is zoomed out to a useable size the map was almost indeciferable. So in general updated graphics especially in 3D

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 103
RE: Wish list - 7/19/2006 9:44:46 PM   
vadersson

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaladinSix
If possible, I'd like to see a system in which a moving unit has a chance to spot an enemy during the friendly's move, rather than waiting until all units have moved and its the next turn. For instance, a unit is ordered to move down a road and halfway through the movement, they spot a infantry unit in the farmhouse ahead. It would allow for more tactical flexibility and require greater care in laying out defensive positions, not to mention be more realistic. Under the current system, its as if a moving unit is blind until they stop and wait for the end of the turn, or unless they literally bump into someone. This leads to situations in which an entire formation moves towards an objective and only then realizes that they are only two hexes away from dug-in defenders.
PaladinSix

I would just like to say that I agree fully with this. I have played several other games that have this feature so it can't be that hard to handle. Isn't this what scout units are for?

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 104
RE: Wish list - 8/4/2006 10:04:58 PM   
lsmthptlnd

The ability to edit the degree of attacking or defending aggresiveness for specific units or organizations at specific locations on the map.  As it is, this attack or defend setting affects every unit on the map.  This would allow for "all out" attack or defend locations or "controlled withdrawel" areas.

(in reply to vadersson)
Post #: 105
RE: Wish list - 8/11/2006 9:07:25 AM   
sapper_astro

More Campaigns in the Far East. Malaya/Singapore, Burma, etc...Much improved over the substandard release in RS please.

More reinforcements. Too many times my men were running about in campaigns (dynamic in particular) where reinforcements just stopped coming.....And that was when i was playing the Big Red One division of the Americans..odd.

Just to clarify. I want the RS part to not be left behind thanks.

(in reply to lsmthptlnd)
Post #: 106
RE: Wish list - 8/14/2006 2:12:00 AM   
asiaticus

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper_astro

More Campaigns in the Far East. Malaya/Singapore, Burma, etc...Much improved over the substandard release in RS please.

More reinforcements. Too many times my men were running about in campaigns (dynamic in particular) where reinforcements just stopped coming.....And that was when i was playing the Big Red One division of the Americans..odd.

Just to clarify. I want the RS part to not be left behind thanks.

A lot of work has been done to enhance Rising Sun by the RS Far East addon. And can be downloaded at the Blitzkrieg Club site.

New countries for RS
Allied Far Eastern Russia 1938-45
Allied Mongolia 1939-45
Allied Netherlands East Indies 1942
Allied KMT China 1937-49
Allied PLA China 1937-45
Allied French Indochina (Vichy but fought with Japan and Thailand) 1940-41
Axis PLA China (axis for Civil war with KMT)1937-49
Axis Manchukuo 1937-45
Axis Thailand 1940-45

Also:

Additions to existing RS country forces:
Axis Japan forces for Sino Japanese War 1937-45, Border clashes with Soviet Union 1938-39

There is an update to the downloads above available that cleans up some of the minor glitches. I have it if anyone wants to use them. I have lately been doing a lot of research especially on the Sino Japanese War 1932-45 and am gradually adding to the above.

Asiaticus
asiaticus@verizon.net

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 107
RE: Wish list - 8/30/2006 7:38:37 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Good god, I look at some wish list requests, and it's clear some people know less about modifying an existing program than I do :)

Come on guys, some of your requests would be easier to do by just making a new program hehe.

Now me, I like some of the ideas, but really ALL I want, and it would be enough to get me to buy it, is to have it on a dvd (I assume one cd is no longer possible), and be able to install it, and have NO graphics issues upon starting it up.
Currently it installs on XP in as much as you can install and make it run. But it requires modifying "stuff" to get it to not mangle the computer's colour schemes etc. This does NOT amuse me :)

I'll pay a reasonable price just to get the original game with no fancy schmancy improvements on a single install with all the program's parameters not requiring "fiddling" with compatibility issues.

Everything and anything else is just gravy.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to asiaticus)
Post #: 108
RE: Wish list - 8/30/2006 11:02:38 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Good god, I look at some wish list requests, and it's clear some people know less about modifying an existing program than I do :)

Come on guys, some of your requests would be easier to do by just making a new program hehe.

That's why it is called a "wish list" rather than a "practical implementation suggestions list".

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 109
RE: Wish list - 8/31/2006 1:45:11 AM   
Chop_Suey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I'll pay a reasonable price just to get the original game with no fancy schmancy improvements on a single install with all the program's parameters not requiring "fiddling" with compatibility issues.

Everything and anything else is just gravy.

Simply the best wish possible.

Been "fiddling" with it ever since 8/21 when Yahoo yanked EF2 from thier games on demand.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 110
RE: Wish list - 11/17/2006 10:38:03 PM   
Hermann

Campaign sries is on everyones last priority list im afraid. I do have one wish and thats enabling a unit wrap .. initial deployment in large campaigns way rough with the divisions on the flanks being located on both map edges. be nice to see emgrouped together for deployment.

(in reply to Chop_Suey)
Post #: 111
RE: Wish list - 11/25/2006 5:57:06 AM   
tws71669

I've been following this but don't know if this was mentioned. I especially liked the dynamic campaign games. What I wish for is that the same loving detail that was paid attention to in the SPWAW megacams would be reflected in the campaigns for this game. Historical settings and stories and a charaacter to play with breifings and pictures as was done for SPWAW would blend two games into something awesome!

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 112
RE: Wish list - 12/2/2006 5:26:15 AM   
Hermann

My Biggest wish is for the campaigns - There is currently no way to place leaders for Campaigns.

Is it possible to include leaders with each HQ during campaign Generation ?

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 113
RE: Wish list - 12/2/2006 5:27:30 AM   
Hermann

quote:

ORIGINAL: tws71669

I've been following this but don't know if this was mentioned. I especially liked the dynamic campaign games. What I wish for is that the same loving detail that was paid attention to in the SPWAW megacams would be reflected in the campaigns for this game. Historical settings and stories and a charaacter to play with breifings and pictures as was done for SPWAW would blend two games into something awesome!

I would be willing to write as many campaigns as you want to publish in the same fashion as the megacampaigns =)

(in reply to tws71669)
Post #: 114
RE: Wish list - 12/30/2006 1:39:20 AM   
HobbesACW

One other idea - objective hexes that give points per turn would help designers to make scenarios where one side has a
delaying action to fight.

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 115
RE: Wish list - 12/30/2006 2:53:42 AM   
Uncle_Joe

Are we still in 'Wish List' territory at this point or are we close to 'feature lock' yet? Hopefully the game is to the point where release is right around the corner. Of course nothing says that 'Wish List' items couldn't be added in a patch though...

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 116
RE: Wish list - 1/16/2007 9:57:54 PM   
HobbesACW

Another thought - the ability to change AI behaviour (mission type) during the game would help AI games no end.
First 10 turns could be Meeting engagement followed by delaying action for example.
Chris

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 117
RE: Wish list - 1/18/2007 3:34:57 AM   
Hermann

I like that - Point count for unit totals and alter mission type according to current point comparison - If human has 100 and ai 100 it would be meeting. human 50 ai 100 ai would shift to attack human 100 ai 50 ai goes over to defense =)

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 118
RE: Wish list - 1/18/2007 10:05:43 AM   
HobbesACW

Yes that could work. The scenario designer would have to decide at what point totals a new AI behavior would kick in (and it would be nice to
either include or not include points for objectives - and also include or not include points for losses) Otherwise it could just be set to kick in on a certain turn.

Chris

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 119
RE: Wish list - 1/19/2007 12:23:14 AM   
british exil

I enjoyed playing the campaigns in WF but missed the air supremacey the allies had esp the june/july 44 campaign. I played the US forces as an inf Brigade and got crushed by the SS Panzer Corps. Always wondering where the air jockeys were. So I would wish for a little bit more air power. Even if it was AI controlled or random air patroling. Wouldn't really care as long as they weren't attacking blue on blue as sometimes (often) did happen.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: Wish list Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI