Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

West Wall Holland - Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> West Wall Holland - Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
West Wall Holland - Questions - 7/1/2006 2:45:54 AM   
vetacon

Anybody played this scenario / know anything about the design?

I was wondering why the infantry batallions of the 101st AB's 327 Glider Regt has only 1 movement point per turn. Seems a bit strange and renders this potentially influential unit pretty much useless, other than for holding the ground around where it's landed. I don't think the regiment played a particularly notable part in the operation historically, nevertheless, when it did arrive I believe it was fully functional, so I can only assume this is a design error.

Hope this doesn't sound too critical - otherwise I think the scenario's great!

I know this is a very specific question but if anyone can help it would be great.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: West Wall Holland - Questions - 7/1/2006 3:00:04 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: vetacon

Anybody played this scenario / know anything about the design?

I was wondering why the infantry batallions of the 101st AB's 327 Glider Regt has only 1 movement point per turn.

Because the designer hasn't assigned any porter squads to move the heavy mortars (usually it's heavy mortars. Might be something else). This is a fairly common problem- especially with scenarios converted from TOAW Volume I, where things like Jeeps could transport heavy equipment.

Go into the editor, find the units in question and add five porter squads each. That'll solve your problem.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to vetacon)
Post #: 2
RE: West Wall Holland - Questions - 7/1/2006 4:04:55 AM   
vetacon

That's fixed it - apologies for posting such an elementary question.

Thanks for the quick reply. On to Arnhem ...

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: West Wall Holland - Questions - 7/1/2006 9:43:58 AM   
Bloodybucket28th

An elementary question? I daresay if it weren't for people like golden delicious pointing out the foibles of some scenarios, it might be eons before I would figure out what the problem was.

It seems like there are quite a few scenarios that, for one reason or another, have odd bugs and since there is no official chain of command for posting updates it is going to take some work by the individual users to find and squash them.

(in reply to vetacon)
Post #: 4
RE: West Wall Holland - Questions - 7/1/2006 6:33:58 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBloodyBucket

An elementary question? I daresay if it weren't for people like golden delicious pointing out the foibles of some scenarios, it might be eons before I would figure out what the problem was.

It seems like there are quite a few scenarios that, for one reason or another, have odd bugs and since there is no official chain of command for posting updates it is going to take some work by the individual users to find and squash them.

That's the good and the bad of a user driven community. The good part is that the scenarios are open, and anyone is free to edit them. You should try to contact the author first if you're going to republish it as a matter of courtesy. We were able to contact them for permission to include their scenarios. Some may have moved since then, but most should be available.

In case you hadn't heard, all the authors are getting a complimentary copy of TOAW III, so I'm hoping that most will come back to the community, at least to revisit their scenarios and update them. Hopefully, they will stay to help the community grow. There was a mixup at Digital River, but I believe that's straightened out, so they should be getting their copies soon.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Bloodybucket28th)
Post #: 5
RE: West Wall Holland - Questions - 7/2/2006 6:26:54 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBloodyBucket

Yup, glad to help.

Scenario design, like a lot of things, involves a great many elementary decisions which add up to form a very complex whole. As I noted in my original post, this kind of problem crops up a lot. Sometimes units are supposed to have 1 move, but often the designer just made an error (or didn't update the scenario for COW).

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Bloodybucket28th)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> West Wall Holland - Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI