Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

community

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> community Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
community - 7/1/2006 7:04:31 AM   
rowech

May double their numbers within the next two weeks.
Post #: 1
RE: community - 7/1/2006 4:47:14 PM   
sposfan

Why think small? :)

And why do I have to bump into you in every text game forum?!?! I'd better not find you in my spare room next week!!!!

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 2
RE: community - 7/1/2006 7:21:20 PM   
SittingDuck

You mean from the sale?

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 3
RE: community - 7/1/2006 7:55:10 PM   
rowech

yes.

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 4
RE: community - 7/1/2006 9:07:33 PM   
bp_

I wish the demo wouldn't stop me from trying to use the game with IE7 Beta 3 or it would give me an option to use a different browser like Opera or Firefox. I don't want to uninstall IE7 just to play a game. Too bad.

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 5
RE: community - 7/1/2006 9:11:08 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bp_

I wish the demo wouldn't stop me from trying to use the game with IE7 Beta 3 or it would give me an option to use a different browser like Opera or Firefox. I don't want to uninstall IE7 just to play a game. Too bad.

PureSim actually uses integrated components of IE directly in the game, and Microsoft has broken this support badly with IE7 Beta so far.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to bp_)
Post #: 6
RE: community - 7/1/2006 9:17:45 PM   
Nomo Ootp

I think the sale is a small part of it...  I came back to Puresim before I even knew about the sale.  I did not order the game until the sale but would have ordered it without the sale.  I am a big fan of OOTP and have been since OOTP2.  I also played the original Puresim series.  The game at the time lacked speed in the simulations and OOTP was my choice at the time.  Now why am I here?

1.  I buy a lot of the sims and try them all.  I currently own DMB as well and find it has some value, although buying the disks each season is why I do not play it that much.

2.  I love OOTP6.5 but the game is a lame duck.  It will not get any better, the people creating mods will go over to the 2006 game and within a few years the game will not be supported by the community or OOTP.  I considered making Markus an offer for the source for OOTP6 to see if I can fix what is broken and come out with a game that is better but using the same familiar interface - hoping to keep the old OOTP users but being able to improve it enough to make a profit....my understanding the code is not in a good structural state and would have needed to be re-coded anyway...

3.  I am waiting for the boards to quiet down at OOTP, there is a lot of negative response to the game and I wanted to play a sim now.... I was dissapointed to see so many making complaints.  Actually they were whining about the game instead of give the game a chance to fix the problems.  Markus in the past has always fixed the issues in a timely manner....  The people on the board were impatient, probably because they prepaid in December and have been waiting for the "Game of all Games" to comeout and of course first versions ALWAYS have issues when first released...

4.  I mainly play solo fictional leagues, I really don't want to micro-manage a whole universe or world.  I also want an interface that is easy enough to use without having to have a 80 page manual and a 300 page users guide.  With Puresim, I got the demo and started playing without having to look at any written materials.  It is that easy to navigate and to understand the menus....

With all this said, I thought I would give Puresim another chance.  Boy, I was pleasantly surprised on the amount of improvements this game had over its past editions.  With that said I would rate it at about the level of OOTP6.5 (slightly lower but not by much) but with the developer willing to improve the game and to keep the same format, Puresim is the better value and will surpass OOTP6.5 shortly.

I wish Shaun the best with this game.  I still plan on playing OOTP but Puresim is on my list also.  With that said the only thing I am disappointed about is the amount of mods for this great game.  Maybe Shaun should make the next version use logos 150x150 and player images 90x135 then we could "borrow" from the many mod makers at OOTP..... 

I was very active on the main OOTP boards since 2002, changed user accounts in 2004.  I have created logos, but gave up on it at OOTP boards because there are many fine logo makers over there.  I have also created utilities like a random debut database that I have on Baseball Sim Central.  I think with enough people creating mods for this game the community will grow.  Another thing PS could use would be a simple ftp exporter for users to create on line leagues.  Keep it simple, just make it so the league that is being exported cannot be played without a commissioners password, allow only roster assignments, viewing of reports and standings, and PSPN viewing.  Trades and such must be done by the commissioner....  seems like it would not be too difficult to program...... 

Thoughts for the future:

Two things I wanted to work on if there were enough interest (both projects will take some time):

1.  Facegen created players to be used with Defts templates from OOTP and sized for PS (more of a face and shoulder shot - not to much of the uni).
I had started a project like this for OOTP and was about to put it in a photobucket account but another modder is creating an automated program to do this for OOTP2006.  I still create mine the old fashion way - one face at a time.....  I actually had a library of 6000 faces at one time, but had a crash.  I was looking at making faces with actual mlb caps or logoless for fictional leagues.... would like to do a pakc with 100 or so faces for each mlb team to use with actual facepacks or as a set. Of course then 100 would not be enough......

2.  Davenport Translations Lahmans format database.  This would allow all players to be created on a even basis.  This would be great for those who want to bring in a player from another era and not worry about hitting or fielding era factors giving players from one era and unfair advantage..... I just hate it when I create a 1901 league with players from multiple eras and I still have guys like Kirk Gibson leading my league in homers because he is imported as being better than all the players of the league....  I would also do my own translations for the fielding stats to normalize them also.....

Side note:  In 1983 I started a project in a spreadsheet to "normalize"  all major league players using the Baseball Encyclopedia by McMillian.  I go through 1908 and decided that too many players had similar stats, 12 homers etc..... but looking at the Davenport Translations I was not far off.  I had based my normalization on .258, DT uses .265.  I scrapped the project because I did not think I was close to what I had intended it to do and then now I realize how close I really was......oh how we learn....

Sorry so long on the message, I just wanted to say that PS may be the game to go with if you are interested in simple leagues without worrying about all the setup that OOTP2006 requires.  Shaun will always have a group of supporters if he keeps it simple and fun to play.  I look forward to being a part of this community for sometime....

Regards,

Steve Rohde aka Sandman(OOTP)

< Message edited by Nomo Ootp -- 7/1/2006 9:30:14 PM >

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 7
RE: community - 7/1/2006 10:05:02 PM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomo Ootp

I wish Shaun the best with this game. I still plan on playing OOTP but Puresim is on my list also. With that said the only thing I am disappointed about is the amount of mods for this great game. Maybe Shaun should make the next version use logos 150x150 and player images 90x135 then we could "borrow" from the many mod makers at OOTP.....

Steve - Converting OOTP formatted logos and face packs takes only minutes. I've already done many of these conversions and posted them to my website. If there is a specific logo or face pack that you want converted, just let me know.

Al

http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/iWeb/PureSimMods/Main.html

(in reply to Nomo Ootp)
Post #: 8
RE: community - 7/1/2006 10:08:42 PM   
Nomo Ootp

That would be great.... How do you convert a batch of logos to the correct size. I am using batchthumbs for the conversion to the right format but then had to manually change each logo to the correct size and save in Printshop Pro 9.0. Could not get this to be done in batch or a script.

Also, with faces how do you convert to 65x90 from the 90x135 size. I lose a lot of clarity in the picture because my original pics were much larger. Noticed that my pngs go down to about 2k so that is expected. Any help in this matter will be appreciated....

Regards,

Steve

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 9
RE: community - 7/2/2006 1:08:41 AM   
PadresFan104

I use a great program called "irfanview."

You can do the file type and image size conversion as a batch job for multiple photos. No clarity loss if you use the best settings.

Al

(in reply to Nomo Ootp)
Post #: 10
RE: community - 7/2/2006 1:19:33 AM   
Nomo Ootp

Thanks for the info, been doing it the hard way for some time.... just d/l irfanview - looks like the tool I need.....

Post #: 11
RE: community - 7/2/2006 2:14:23 AM   
PadresFan104

No problem... Also been stewing a bit over the comment you made above that you are dissapointed with the lack of mods for the game. I think I have a pretty comprehensive collection at my website.

However, if you know of logos or facepacks from OOTP that would be good additions, please point me at them so I can make my archive even better.

Thanks! Al

http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/iWeb/PureSimMods/Main.html

(in reply to Nomo Ootp)
Post #: 12
RE: community - 7/2/2006 2:43:41 AM   
SittingDuck

I just completed a MLB 1996 template that includes correct team logos, parks assigned and renamed properly (no park photos, though).

I am wondering if someone wants to host this association?

Btw, I want to thank you, PadresFan104, for your website and files found thereupon.  Gave me a great basis for working with some things.

Post #: 13
RE: community - 7/2/2006 3:44:07 AM   
KG Erwin

Forgive me for sounding like a total fanboy, but I really enjoy interacting with you guys.  This is a great and extremely friendly community, and I'm continually learning.  We got a good thing going.

Post #: 14
RE: community - 7/2/2006 7:55:04 AM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

I am wondering if someone wants to host this association?

Duck - Just PM'd you with info.

Al

Post #: 15
RE: community - 7/2/2006 10:22:14 AM   
Marsh511

Hey, I could name lots of guys worse than you and Rowech to run into. And...I actually ran into Mark Miller (Sanpurdue) here...which is great to see here in PureSim. Definitely looks like lots of the veterans from the text sim side (Table Top Sports, Seasons Past, etc.) are giving PureSim a shot...which is a good thing for all, IMO.

Marshall

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 16
RE: community - 7/2/2006 11:28:19 AM   
sposfan

Marshall,

yep, this is great for Shaun's exposure! I've been playing and following him since the first version, (actually even before he released the first version if memory serves!) and it's been a real trip watching it develop into the game it has!

The fact that guys from other boards, especially people as active as yourself, Mark and Chris, are playing puresim and posting about it is a great way to get the word out!

(in reply to Marsh511)
Post #: 17
RE: community - 7/2/2006 2:15:21 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: sposfan

Marshall,

yep, this is great for Shaun's exposure! I've been playing and following him since the first version, (actually even before he released the first version if memory serves!) and it's been a real trip watching it develop into the game it has!

The fact that guys from other boards, especially people as active as yourself, Mark and Chris, are playing puresim and posting about it is a great way to get the word out!

Are there any sites where folks like yourselves hang out where I might try some advertising?

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 18
RE: community - 7/2/2006 4:57:01 PM   
sposfan

Shaun,

I know we're already talking about puresim on table top sports on delphi. I'm also active on the Replay forum there and the DMB forum as well, but I don't know how appropriate it would be to post there. I know you're on the FOF boards too, and have been getting some good positive feedback from there, and hopefully a bunch of sales as well.

I'm passing the word to all my gamer friends so hopefully some will pick it up, especially during the sale!

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 19
RE: community - 7/2/2006 6:36:40 PM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

Are there any sites where folks like yourselves hang out where I might try some advertising?

BaseballRefference.com

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 20
RE: community - 7/3/2006 4:17:02 AM   
Marsh511

Shaun, like Elan mentioned, the word is definitely out among the hard-core text sim crowd. The other Delphi Forum where guys hang out (that SposFan didn't mention) is Seasons Past Sports Gaming Forum. Since your name is already a respected and well-known name, I'm sure the reception would be positive, as long as you're not too "sales-y" and don't get into any 'comparison' type discussions. But, if you're a believer of the "any exposure is good exposure" philosophy (and I would tend to think that's sort of true, since guys will buy something out of curiosity, even amidst some controversy!), then I don't think you can lose. Some will try to stir things up against you, etc. etc....but so what? You'll win them over with the product in the end (except those who just can't stand anything on a PC!).

Good luck. It's really neat to see where PureSim has come in the past 8+ years!

Marshall

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 21
RE: community - 7/3/2006 4:25:10 AM   
PadresFan104

Shaun - I'm over at Delphi as well (ENDER77), I think your presence would be very well received. They are a great group of guys who have nothing but respect for boardgame and computer game developers.

Al

(in reply to Marsh511)
Post #: 22
RE: community - 7/3/2006 5:52:57 AM   
sanpurdue

Al,

That's one heck of a FAN website you have put together, my good friend! Puresim kept me up until 3am last night and I just bought the day before. I suspect I will lose more sleep over PS as well as SAT V4 when it shows up in the fall...

Thanks again!!!!

Mark Miller

Post #: 23
RE: community - 7/3/2006 7:17:30 AM   
Koffee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymore Cut

quote:

BaseballRefference.com

Except thats already taken by OOTP2006.

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 24
RE: community - 7/3/2006 7:24:41 AM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanpurdue

Al,

That's one heck of a FAN website you have put together, my good friend! Puresim kept me up until 3am last night and I just bought the day before. I suspect I will lose more sleep over PS as well as SAT V4 when it shows up in the fall...

Thanks again!!!!

Mark Miller

Thanks Mark!! Appreciate it!!

(in reply to sanpurdue)
Post #: 25
RE: community - 7/3/2006 8:52:25 AM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Koffee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymore Cut

quote:

BaseballRefference.com

Except thats already taken by OOTP2006.

I'm sure he can inquire, most sites sell advertising time to more than 1 company.

(in reply to Koffee)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> community Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI