Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rules FAQ

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Rules FAQ Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rules FAQ - 7/2/2006 6:38:21 PM   
crackerjack747

Hi!

I'm new to this game. I've read reviews and I'm impressed and would like to purchase the game. I'm hestiating becasue some of the reviews say that the level of detail of the rules could be inproved i.e. they are open for interpertation. They refer to FAQs that clarify the rules where needed. Can any one comment? is this really an issue? If so where can I find a current Rules FAQ?

I would really like to get into this game but I'm concerned about playing it on VASSAL and not being 'straight' on the rules.

By the way I've read that this is a good solo game as well. Any experienced players care to comment??

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cracker Jack
Post #: 1
RE: Rules FAQ - 7/4/2006 4:04:51 AM   
stanguay

Cracker Jack !

Yes, the rules are open for interpretation but nothing there that cannot be tackled with some logic. The are written in a more narrative style then most wargamers are used to. If you go by the spirit instead of the letter, you should be fine 90% of the time :-) It's really not an issue.

A FAQ is being compiled as we speak. I just did not had the time recently (ok, in the last three months) to work on it.

And yes, BoB play well solo, mostly because of the impulse system.

(in reply to crackerjack747)
Post #: 2
RE: Rules FAQ - 7/5/2006 5:03:52 PM   
Adam Parker

It's a top solo game.

Get a good set of tweezers as you'll be rummaging through stacks often but this is the ONLY squad level game you'll find, where you'll be comfortable setting up a scenario with infantry, tanks, ATG's and anti-tank weapons right from the get go.

The rules do get contradictory in some spots and leave open a loose interpretation in others. But the system Mark has put together is beautiful in its simplicity covering everything from small arms vs AFV's to helicopters in such a small amount of print. Spend some time cross referencing certain passages and you'll be fine.

The series (including Vietnam) is a tour de force. The scenario count is awesome. The maps whilst beautiful and mounted on thick cardboard in Band of Heroes, do seem light weight compared to the Avalon Hill boards many of us were spoiled with for decades. Board gamers should invest imho in a set of plexiglass map covers anyway. Very cheap from most hardware chains and done thusly, resolves any issues there.

Hope that helps (btw if you're an Aussie I believe milsims.com.au has a copy or 2 on the shelf),

Adam.

(in reply to stanguay)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Rules FAQ Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI