Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fast changes - Real Fast

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Fast changes - Real Fast Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fast changes - Real Fast - 7/21/2000 11:57:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Since I last posted to you guys, there seems to have been a world of change in SPWAW. There are quite a few, and all good. I won't list them all but let me mention a few. Victory conditions. You'll have at least four types of victory now instead of just capturing objectives by the end of the game. These include special conditions for a Raiding type scenario, rear guard action (you can't leave the map if you have to hold objectives...but now you can). Another victory condition, a turn by turn award of victory points for holding an objective instead of holding 14 turns, losing it on the very last move and losing the points. And more. Want a ship with some meat on its bones? what about an on-map destroyer to accompany those beach landings ? Ever want to see your map at the end of the battle when the victory point screen comes up? That too. Of course you know about reinforcements in generated games now being a matter of choice (for a price - ) How about a multiplayer, huge scenario for up to six players online? With the ability to pause (with permission from others), timeouts, and command decision breaks? What about being able to say yes or no to your own op fire? New sounds, new icons, new routines, an on screen help menu for both the editor and during play... Whew! I'm out of breath. And more is coming! And it's getting very near. I can hear the rumble of guns in the distance. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 7/21/2000 12:11:00 PM   
Drake666

You guys are great, it all sounds like a lot of fun. Just wondering about the Destroyer, will it have working turrets and how large will it be.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 7/21/2000 12:19:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Not yet, Drake. I don't know if we'll be able to do that. It may serve more as an onshore support weapon. We are ironing out details within our limits of time. And you'll know its a destroyer when you see it Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games [This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited July 21, 2000).]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 7/21/2000 12:27:00 PM   
Tankhead

Hello Wild Bill ! Sounds like you are having way to much fun. Geez of what you describe it's gonna be like a whole new SPWaW, and a destroyer talk about a big boom for beach assault. I like those new victory conditions, makes for all new bunch of scenarios. I ear it's gonna be a long winter Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://sites.netscape.net/rcclout

Tankhead

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 7/21/2000 12:55:00 PM   
Wild Bill

I'll tell you, Tankhead that Michael, Tom and David surprise me every day now. Paul Vebber, Jim Faletti, a few other game testers and I are working at a frantic pace to keep up with this terrible trio. They are indeed on a roll! Lemme tell you a story . Old folks love to tell stories ! David calls me long distance from New York, this enterpreneur in the gaming world, and he sounds like a kid with a new toy. We talk about the game, or about Matrix for a few moments...then suddenly there is silence on the other end, except for the sound of SPWAW in the background. I wait...nothing . "David? David, are you there?" Then I hear the boom of a cannon! Next I hear David, not talking to me, but saying loudly, "Nobody dents my Tigers!" Now remember, this is long distance! Such is the effect the game has on us. The entire team has given up nights of sleep, so enthused with the TCP/IP online feature. Somebody somewhere is fighting almost every night. I get a letter from Paul Vebber. "Anyone up for a fight tonight? I haven't fought in four days. I got the shakes." So this is an adventure for all of us here. And of course, in my house, well you can imagine! Muffled sounds of gunfire seep through the walls out into the streets. "Yeah, he's playing that game again!" mutters a neighbor. Beth comes in, sighs, walks back downstairs. What a good, patient woman she is. And the war goes on!...Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 7/21/2000 1:14:00 PM   
Tankhead

You are a good story teller Wild Bill it put a big on my face. I know about the sounds crank up coming out of the 5 speakers. I keep telling the wife that you gotta have it loud, give the sence of beign there. She don't agree but tolerates it Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://sites.netscape.net/rcclout

Tankhead

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 7/21/2000 1:16:00 PM   
crazyivan

Gee you guys i take my hat off to you all and if i wasn't losing so much hair that to.Good to here that you all to are enjoying this awesome game or should i say life building exspereance ,and not just us. I have designed through having to, a water proof cover for my key board so my constant drooling in antisapation for the neat things you keep adding to this game keeps it free from exploding.So if there are any takers for one heres what to do.1) Buy a roll of plastic rap 2)pick up key board in left hand and if you have a free hand warp the plastic around in a clockwise direction with the other,being careful not to press the keys down.3)2-3 layers should be plenty apply more if you are a heavy drippler.Kids this has been tried by a proffesional don,t try this at home.

"The best form of defence,is attack"

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 7/21/2000 1:21:00 PM   
Tankhead

quote:

Originally posted by crazyivan: I have designed through having to, a water proof cover for my key board so my constant drooling in antisapation for the neat things you keep adding to this game keeps it free from exploding.So if there are any takers for one heres what to do.1) Buy a roll of plastic rap 2)pick up key board in left hand and if you have a free hand warp the plastic around in a clockwise direction with the other,being careful not to press the keys down.3)2-3 layers should be plenty apply more if you are a heavy drippler.Kids this has been tried by a proffesional don,t try this at home.
Hehehe It's all I can say Crazyivan Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://sites.netscape.net/rcclout

Tankhead

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 7/21/2000 1:28:00 PM   
Wild Bill

My keyboard is now solid steel. The pile of wrecks in the corner...I gotta throw those away. Plastic just does not take a pounding like it used to The Kunel ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 7/21/2000 1:47:00 PM   
crazyivan

how do you get those smily faces on the reply post never thought of asking this before they add a nice touch.thks Tankhead. WB it sounds like we will need somthing else made of steel to face the new chalanges the game will throw at us if you get my drift!!!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 7/21/2000 2:20:00 PM   
Tankhead

quote:

Originally posted by crazyivan: how do you get those smily faces on the reply post never thought of asking this before they add a nice touch.thks Tankhead.
When you type a message look on the left and you will see Smilies Legend just click it and it will show you what you have to do Hope that helps Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://sites.netscape.net/rcclout [This message has been edited by Tankhead (edited July 21, 2000).]

Tankhead

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 7/21/2000 2:35:00 PM   
Don

Wild Bill and crazyivan, You are really cracking me up! And WB, I'll take 10 destroyers, please. ASAP. Don [This message has been edited by Don (edited July 21, 2000).]

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 7/21/2000 3:11:00 PM   
crazyivan

thanks tankhead i hope this works.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 7/21/2000 3:12:00 PM   
crazyivan

quote:

Originally posted by crazyivan: thanks tankhead i hope this works.
who it does cool

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 7/21/2000 3:22:00 PM   
sami heimola

Hi Bill! Very nice list! Especially destroyers (and maybe else navy?) interest me. How about naval battles?:D They could make nice add among all land warfare... Sami

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 7/21/2000 3:48:00 PM   
PR^Spanjab

WB m8, any idea how the excellent sounding TCP/IP mode will cope with disconnects? Thanks, looking forward to v3 more and more now!! Will have to finish out mu v2.3 games asap!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 7/21/2000 5:03:00 PM   
nikb

Oh Baby Oh Baby...it does get better... Sami, yeah that is a great idea re naval battles. I posted an idea like that on another forum. I think a destroyer, frigate, MTB level game utilising similar graphics as SP would be fantastic. Scale might have to be worked around but I think it could be done. Graphically it would be ooooorrrrrsommme. Especially appealing would be the ability to have individual turrets, similar to what are on the AFVs currently. Perhaps a Channel Island setting. Just an idea, but it has my vote. Nik

Nik

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 7/21/2000 8:32:00 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: You guys are great, it all sounds like a lot of fun. Just wondering about the Destroyer, will it have working turrets and how large will it be.
Well, it's a little over two hexes long, and is made so that with an invisible turret, it will NOT turn to face an enemy, while shooting its first two weapons. It would be really neat if someday there were a way to put multiple turrets on an item, but, for now we are stuck with one only. It turned out nice though, at least I think so, but I AM biased;-) ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 7/21/2000 8:53:00 PM   
Nikademus

ooo ooo ooo (makes grasping motions with hands) cant wait for this latest version. why stop with destroyers? how about some battleships ;-)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 7/21/2000 9:43:00 PM   
Tankhead

quote:

Originally posted by crazyivan: who it does cool
Oh no you got it Crazyivan!! More stuff to add to your messages to crack me up Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://sites.netscape.net/rcclout

Tankhead

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 7/21/2000 10:32:00 PM   
Major_Johnson

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Want a ship with some meat on its bones? what about an on-map destroyer to accompany those beach landings ? Wild Bill [/B]
Hey Bill, will those destroyers be subject to air/land attack?? I'm climbing into the cockpit of my rocket loaded P-38 as we speak!! ------------------ MJ We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 7/21/2000 11:06:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Lots of good questions, understandably. Remember, this is something that Mike and I put together as primarily a unit for a particular scenario I am doing. It is not a full fledged destroyer, with all the capabilities that we would like to have. We are actually straining the envelope by being allowed to have it. It will not have indirect fire capabilities. You have off map destroyers for that. It will not carry troops. You can place them on top of the destroyer but they won't really "load." Maybe, maybe we can get that changed. But yes, it can be fired upon and it can be killed (or sunk). Adding naval units for battles is just not possible presently. I understand your desire to have them. I would like it too, along with fighters that could appear to attack bombers, kind of an op fire situation, but none of that will make it, I fear, at least not this time. So it has limited use, but like the trains, will be a nice little addition to the battlefield. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 7/21/2000 11:09:00 PM   
Tom Proudfoot

Disconnects in TCP/IP will hopefully not be too bad. The game is auto-saved every turn, so you start back up at the beginning of the the turn. It would be nice to be able to hop back into the game mid-turn, but the amount of data that needs to be sent (basically, look at the size of the save file!) is not practical. Tom [This message has been edited by Tom Proudfoot (edited July 21, 2000).]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 7/21/2000 11:50:00 PM   
Tombstone

If there was a general system for multi-hex units that could have even more detailed component damage the opportunity for some interesting total conversions (not that there isn't already) using the spwaw engine. If someone, for example, put together a warhammer 40k or battletech total conversion of the game out there that was good the game engine would get a lot of new comers getting interested because of the different content. Then they'd get to experience the gameplay style of steel panthers. We all know its awesome, and if more people were aware of all this I'd be happy, and I'm sure others would be more happy. Just a thought. Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 7/21/2000 11:59:00 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone: If there was a general system for multi-hex units that could have even more detailed component damage the opportunity for some interesting total conversions (not that there isn't already) using the spwaw engine. If someone, for example, put together a warhammer 40k or battletech total conversion of the game out there that was good the game engine would get a lot of new comers getting interested because of the different content. Then they'd get to experience the gameplay style of steel panthers. We all know its awesome, and if more people were aware of all this I'd be happy, and I'm sure others would be more happy. Just a thought. Tomo
Interesting you should bring that up! Ever since I read Harry Turtledoves "In the Balance" series, and then one guy had a download he had done based on that theme for SP, I've been interested in an alien invasion during WW2!! I had done this in SPWW2 &SP3, but needed lots of ironing out, had made some awesome vehicles, but want to redo thoase also. I'm working passively on this again, using MW3 weaponry as a base, since there are ranges and sucj. Penetration values will be tough though! Me and my brother had played a E-mail game in the old SPWW2 version using these, it was awesome shooting at Stalin III's with the Lizard Landcruiser 120mm main gun, or using the Killercraft (jet) with paveways!! So, am trying it again, with our new engine, it will truly be an experience!! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 7/22/2000 2:03:00 AM   
Tombstone

You should wait until the modern version gets out... that way you can make liberal use of helicopters. I'm sure you can get some really interesting gameplay effect by using helicopters in a role they weren't intended for. Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 7/22/2000 2:28:00 AM   
Voriax

Remember to give a decent survival ratio for that destroyer or coastal defence ship of yours, so it doesn't sink at the first 37mm gun hit Mike, you still have those results about ship survivability that I sent to you? Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 7/22/2000 2:44:00 AM   
fdlu

Did i hear there modern Version ???? is this really in the make ???? I can´t believe that with spwaw 3.0 still in the works and it looking great. on the other hand i have always enjoyed sp 2 mb. but i personelly found the map size a little bit limiting the really modern units. but with the spwaw system, larger maps and all the other goodies (and still lots coming) it would be nearly impossible to top in scope.(all the modern landbased warfare in just two games :cool

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
- 7/22/2000 2:55:00 AM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Voriax: Remember to give a decent survival ratio for that destroyer or coastal defence ship of yours, so it doesn't sink at the first 37mm gun hit Mike, you still have those results about ship survivability that I sent to you? Voriax
Ah, that's right, I think they are in my massive folder of documents, if you have them handy would it be much of a problem to resend? I think the results were combined in a document with another feature or something we were discussing. Thanks for the reminder ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 29
- 7/22/2000 7:02:00 AM   
Tombstone

Hey, here's an idea... what if a unit would use a 'shot' for aiming and get an increase in accuracy instead of movement or firing. You give up the actual chance to hit at a lower percentage, but you could also conserve ammo that way. Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Fast changes - Real Fast Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI