Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tweaks for game play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tweaks for game play Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tweaks for game play - 7/4/2006 10:34:10 PM   
jtfesta

As I manage all my games these considerations involve actual game play. To make this excellent game experience better I think the following should be looked at:
1. Pitchers are batting too well. Vast majority of 2005 teams have 3 of 5 starters hitting over .200 past the halfway point.
2. Baserunning on hits is too conservative.
3. I still think the option to tag up from 1st to 2nd on every fly out is distracting and unnecessary.
4. Some ratings (speed for example) seem out of whack for certain eras.

Again, I love the game and am trying to make constructive suggestions.
Post #: 1
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/4/2006 11:03:05 PM   
rwd59

quote:

ORIGINAL: jtfesta

As I manage all my games these considerations involve actual game play. To make this excellent game experience better I think the following should be looked at:
1. Pitchers are batting too well. Vast majority of 2005 teams have 3 of 5 starters hitting over .200 past the halfway point.
3. I still think the option to tag up from 1st to 2nd on every fly out is distracting and unnecessary.
4. Some ratings (speed for example) seem out of whack for certain eras.

I agree. Way too many pitchers hitting above .200. Will come back with some almanac numbers. Ok, I looked at the html almanac for the Braves from 1969-1976 and found that every starting pitcher listed had an average above .200 including Phil Niekro with an average of .293. Now he was a fairly good hitting pitcher but nowhere near that good.

< Message edited by rwd59 -- 7/4/2006 11:13:55 PM >

(in reply to jtfesta)
Post #: 2
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 12:13:08 AM   
PadresFan104

quote:

I'm managing out all of my games in 1.18 and this problem seems to be resolved in this latest patch. Are you using 1.18 as well?

(in reply to jtfesta)
Post #: 3
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 12:16:59 AM   
KG Erwin

RE: baserunning options.  I think that should be left in.   We don't have that many in-game managerial options,  and I want the "tag-up" option to remain. 

Frankly, I think Shaun wants to keep this in, too, so this option is gonna stay.  Nothing unrealistic about it.  That's what you have base coaches for. 

Edit: Padres Fan got it right. The in-game AI manager is getting better all the time. He's definitely no pushover, and occasionally has a trick up his sleeve (calling for stolen bases and hit & runs and pitch outs).

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/5/2006 12:21:37 AM >

(in reply to rwd59)
Post #: 4
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 3:04:21 AM   
gipat

1.I agree that pitcher BA's are too high.
2.1952 speed ratings are extremely high allowing unrealistic base stealing figures.
3.I agree that tagup from 1st to 2nd seems unnecessary.
4.Agree that base running is very conservative (am not using 1.18)
5.Fast runners seem to get thrown out too often on deep flies by OF's with average arms.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 4:28:57 AM   
Nth Power

quote:

I agree with this as well. I've never seen a guy tag to go from 1st to 2nd when he's the lone baserunner.

(in reply to gipat)
Post #: 6
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 5:17:26 AM   
rwd59

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nth Power

quote:

I agree with this as well. I've never seen a guy tag to go from 1st to 2nd when he's the lone baserunner.

I have. It happened this year. I believe it was Jeff Francouer if I'm not mistaken. It is however, a very unusual occurance.

(in reply to Nth Power)
Post #: 7
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 5:28:16 AM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: rwd59

quote:

quote:

I have. It happened this year. I believe it was Jeff Francouer if I'm not mistaken. It is however, a very unusual occurance.

I've seen it as well. I saw Ricky Henderson do once as a Padre. The game is already in need of more rare plays, so why would we want to take the possibility of one out?

(in reply to rwd59)
Post #: 8
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 6:10:48 AM   
jtfesta

I agree with the need for in game options. The tag at second is, in my opinion, a nuisance not a huge problem. I would rather see options such as choosing to send a runner home from second on a single (that is also what base coaches are for). Other options, like the suicide squeze, would be nice.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 9
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 6:21:23 AM   
Aaenuel

How about having the option to suppress the popup in an options menu? That allows everyone to be happy.

One other thing that is missing from the in game managing experience: the squeeze play.

Also, something that I have been noticing and maybe there is something in the XML that can be edited - there do not appear to be foul balls. This seems to be leading to lower pitching counts than normal.

Still really enjoying the game though!

< Message edited by Aaenuel -- 7/5/2006 6:22:20 AM >

(in reply to jtfesta)
Post #: 10
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 7:35:27 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aaenuel

Also, something that I have been noticing and maybe there is something in the XML that can be edited - there do not appear to be foul balls. This seems to be leading to lower pitching counts than normal.

Still really enjoying the game though!

Fouls, and foul outs, do happen, but you don't see the foul balls (thankfully). Overall pitchcounts seem to be fine, IMHO.

This is where CGs seem to be a bit off for earlier periods -- pitchers tire too soon. Once again, I think we need era-specific XMLs, or a few more tweaks in the default XML.

(in reply to Aaenuel)
Post #: 11
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 10:08:18 AM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

quote:

I have as well with the Mets this year. The thing is though, it is very very rare, and is almost always a players call based upon how the fielder catches and reacts. I'd suggest removing the option, but having a random % of the baserunner deciding to take second base...

(in reply to Nth Power)
Post #: 12
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 10:10:50 AM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

I've been noticing pretty high BA myself after several replays. It is odd because pitchers seem to be great hitters (compared to actual pitchers hitting) but poorer bunters. The better strategy seems to swing away and see uf the pitcher can put the ball in play...

(in reply to jtfesta)
Post #: 13
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 12:03:57 PM   
Nth Power

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymore Cut

quote:

quote:

I have as well with the Mets this year. The thing is though, it is very very rare, and is almost always a players call based upon how the fielder catches and reacts. I'd suggest removing the option, but having a random % of the baserunner deciding to take second base...

Let me clarify that I don't dispute this kind of thing never happens, but the situation where it happens is extremely rare. Options are always good, so this is really a very minor thing anyways. If anything, maybe have the criteria for the option pop-up a little more discerning?

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 14
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 2:42:26 PM   
puresimmer

Good thread guys. I'll look into some of this stuff this week.

Keep the productive feedback coming, it really helps me improve the game.

BTW, I've already tweaked the pitcher batting issue for the next patch (1.19) so hopefully we'll at least have that one knocked out.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to Nth Power)
Post #: 15
RE: Tweaks for game play - 7/5/2006 2:56:45 PM   
jtfesta

Excellent product support as usual.  Thanks.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tweaks for game play Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI