Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interest in another mega campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Interest in another mega campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interest in another mega campaign - 7/6/2006 7:00:01 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Matrix appears to still support SP:WaW and the community is as strong as ever.

It has been almost two years since the last MC and 5 (?) years since the first. I am curious as to whether the community would be interested in a team producing another effort.
I think most of the bugs in the MCs have been worked out and with 4 having already been completed the experience is there.

More importantly, there is still so much WW2 that has not been covered.

Playing as the Germans at Kursk would be at the top of my list. A frantic fast moving mobile campaign that would balance attack and defense and enable us to use mid war weaponary.

Stalingrad from the Soviet perspective would be a tense sense of the apocolyptic nature of that battle.

Leningrad from the Soviet side would be about the same thing.

The last two months of the war from either side (Germans or Soviets) has not been touched and would provide alot of to the death attack and defenses with late war weapons.

In the west there is alot of material as well.

Italy is a treasure trove of battles and some of the most bitter fighting of the war.
America, Britian and the ANZACS all have plently of material waiting to be covered.
It is sad that that aspect of the war has been under noticed by events in France.

Playing as a British armored company during Normandy would provide some fun as well.

Or perhaps go a bit away from the ordinary and focus on a British SAS company in the North African desert. Hit and run attacks and daring missions would be alot of fun and be quick playing.

The Pacific also has some potential and I am not going to even get into it.

In short I think there is plenty left to cover. Replaying the MCs reminded me how good of a concept they were and I would love to see one or two more squeezed out of the engine.

So how many here would throw down $25-30 for another quality trip through a campaign of the war?

Post #: 1
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/6/2006 8:04:32 PM   
Dragoon 45

I am all in favor of more Mega-campaigns. And although as I understand it there are some licensing issues involved, I would be willing to pay for an updated version of the Game; i.e. expanded slots, expanded nations, expanded time frame, etc. Fixing some of the code limitations would be my personal wish list for the game.

This game has so much potential it is not funny. I would love to see an official version expanded to modern weapons.

As far as Mega-campaigns go, the Kursh idea would be a ready made winner. Also I would suggest something along the lines of the CBI theater. There are any number of units and/or campaigns that Mega-campaigns could be built around.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Matrix appears to still support SP:WaW and the community is as strong as ever.

It has been almost two years since the last MC and 5 (?) years since the first. I am curious as to whether the community would be interested in a team producing another effort.
I think most of the bugs in the MCs have been worked out and with 4 having already been completed the experience is there.

More importantly, there is still so much WW2 that has not been covered.

Playing as the Germans at Kursk would be at the top of my list. A frantic fast moving mobile campaign that would balance attack and defense and enable us to use mid war weaponary.

Stalingrad from the Soviet perspective would be a tense sense of the apocolyptic nature of that battle.

Leningrad from the Soviet side would be about the same thing.

The last two months of the war from either side (Germans or Soviets) has not been touched and would provide alot of to the death attack and defenses with late war weapons.

In the west there is alot of material as well.

Italy is a treasure trove of battles and some of the most bitter fighting of the war.
America, Britian and the ANZACS all have plently of material waiting to be covered.
It is sad that that aspect of the war has been under noticed by events in France.

Playing as a British armored company during Normandy would provide some fun as well.

Or perhaps go a bit away from the ordinary and focus on a British SAS company in the North African desert. Hit and run attacks and daring missions would be alot of fun and be quick playing.

The Pacific also has some potential and I am not going to even get into it.

In short I think there is plenty left to cover. Replaying the MCs reminded me how good of a concept they were and I would love to see one or two more squeezed out of the engine.

So how many here would throw down $25-30 for another quality trip through a campaign of the war?

Artillery always has the Right of Way

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/6/2006 8:13:03 PM   
Fallschirmjager

SP:MBT has modern SP well covered. I do not see Matrix improving on that design that much.
And now that it is a Windows design it is ever better. And plus its free.

(in reply to Dragoon 45)
Post #: 3
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/6/2006 9:06:53 PM   
greg_slith

I would prefer: Hypothetical Operation Olympic/Coronet. I agree a mid/late war eastern front campaign would be cool.

Post #: 4
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/6/2006 10:00:40 PM   
dgstokes

having just gotten back into game and ordered General's Edition, I'm in for more Mrga Campaigns and willing to pay.

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/6/2006 11:24:22 PM   
Dragoon 45

I have tried the new version of SP:MBT and didn't care for it that much. It has some good features but was kind of clunky to play. It was taking 4-5 seconds per shot for the game to figure out the results, hit or miss. As you can guess this makes a short scenario seem very long. I played around with the settings in the preferences but never could get the game to work right.

quote:

SP:MBT has modern SP well covered. I do not see Matrix improving on that design that much.

Post #: 6
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/6/2006 11:48:44 PM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragoon 45

I have tried the new version of SP:MBT and didn't care for it that much. It has some good features but was kind of clunky to play. It was taking 4-5 seconds per shot for the game to figure out the results, hit or miss. As you can guess this makes a short scenario seem very long. I played around with the settings in the preferences but never could get the game to work right.

quote:

That is weird. The message delay works for me just fine.

How modern is your computer hardware? It takes a bit more horsepower than WAW

(in reply to Dragoon 45)
Post #: 7
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/7/2006 2:32:14 AM   
forgorin

What is SP:MBT?

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

Post #: 8
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/7/2006 3:16:19 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: forgorin

What is SP:MBT?

One version of Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank. Starts at the end of second world war, and continues to modern era and near future. Link:

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo-4.htm

(in reply to forgorin)
Post #: 9
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/7/2006 3:22:20 AM   
Dragoon 45

Intel Pentium M 760, 1024mb ram, 120gb HDD, and all the other bells and what not. It is about 6 months old.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragoon 45

quote:

That is weird. The message delay works for me just fine.

How modern is your computer hardware? It takes a bit more horsepower than WAW

Post #: 10
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/7/2006 7:49:39 AM   
KG Erwin

Frankly, I don't anticipate another Matrix-sponsored Mega for SPWaW as it presently exists. 

What you're more likely to see are independently-designed  campaigns, like the Depot's Das Reich. 

I'd look for the next one to be designed specifcially for use with the Enhanced Mod.  This would be the logical next step.      

(in reply to Dragoon 45)
Post #: 11
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/7/2006 5:28:01 PM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Frankly, I don't anticipate another Matrix-sponsored Mega for SPWaW as it presently exists. 

What you're more likely to see are independently-designed  campaigns, like the Depot's Das Reich. 

I'd look for the next one to be designed specifcially for use with the Enhanced Mod.  This would be the logical next step.      

What work is there for Matrix? From what I understand a third party does most of the work and Matrix helps in small ways.
I doubt a commercial release for the Enhanced mod would work either since not everyone has it and then some people (like myself) do not like it.

And a traditional campaign is just that. A traditional campaign. It does not have the extra documents and pictures or selectionable options before missions.
Campaigns are great fun and some are downright excellent.

But the MCs totaly immerse you in that campaign.

Watchtower (which is my favourite) had me for several weeks completly engrossed in that struggle.
Tremendous fun

I doubt it will come to be, but SP still have a little life left in it and 4 MCs are way too few with so many topics left to be discovered.
Maybe someone from Matrix will stumble across this thread and start contacting a few designers to see if there is any interest on there part....

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/7/2006 8:59:34 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

If there is serious talk of a new MC, count me in as very interested. One from the Soviet side would be awesome! Kursk, Leningrad, or the push from Warsaw to Berlin would be very interesting. (Getting my hopes up.)

Eric Maietta

Post #: 13
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/7/2006 9:43:40 PM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

quote:

What you're more likely to see are independently-designed campaigns, like the Depot's Das Reich.

I'd look for the next one to be designed specifcially for use with the Enhanced Mod. This would be the logical next step.

What work is there for Matrix? From what I understand a third party does most of the work and Matrix helps in small ways.
I doubt a commercial release for the Enhanced mod would work either since not everyone has it and then some people (like myself) do not like it.

And a traditional campaign is just that. A traditional campaign. It does not have the extra documents and pictures or selectionable options before missions.

Watchtower (which is my favourite) had me for several weeks completly engrossed in that struggle.
Tremendous fun

I doubt it will come to be, but SP still have a little life left in it and 4 MCs are way too few with so many topics left to be discovered.
Maybe someone from Matrix will stumble across this thread and start contacting a few designers to see if there is any interest on there part....

What work for Matrix? A lot. While there is usually a team recruited to do the designing and research, the MC software is Matix's baby; I'm sure they would want to keep a close eye on any MC development. Which leads to the next point: profitability. Do they detach some of their people to oversee a project that is limited to a specific community of gamers, thereby placing their other in-house projects at risk, or do they just let the team 'go their own way' and then only market the final product, with the Matrix name on it, sight unseen?

And the announcements from a couple years ago, that all support for this game was being suspended, leads me to believe they won't spend any more time on it. Besides which, the MC software hasn't been updated to work with the 8.0+ versions, anyhow.

BTW...what is it about the Enhanced Mod that you don't like?

Post #: 14
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/8/2006 3:06:02 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

quote:

quote:

What you're more likely to see are independently-designed campaigns, like the Depot's Das Reich.

I'd look for the next one to be designed specifcially for use with the Enhanced Mod. This would be the logical next step.

Tremendous fun

What work for Matrix? A lot. While there is usually a team recruited to do the designing and research, the MC software is Matix's baby; I'm sure they would want to keep a close eye on any MC development. Which leads to the next point: profitability. Do they detach some of their people to oversee a project that is limited to a specific community of gamers, thereby placing their other in-house projects at risk, or do they just let the team 'go their own way' and then only market the final product, with the Matrix name on it, sight unseen?

And the announcements from a couple years ago, that all support for this game was being suspended, leads me to believe they won't spend any more time on it. Besides which, the MC software hasn't been updated to work with the 8.0+ versions, anyhow.

BTW...what is it about the Enhanced Mod that you don't like?

The MCs works just fine with 8.0+ Do you mean the development?

I was not really sure how many hours Matrix put into the MCs. I suppose someone from the teams would know.

And as for what I do not like about enhanced, I do not want to get this thread off topic.
I just have some issues with the OOBs and the people who worked on them past works.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 15
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/8/2006 5:15:31 AM   
KG Erwin

FJ, it sounds like you may have some axes to grind offsite.  Please do that via PM or private e-mail, OK?  

Post #: 16
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/8/2006 7:10:18 AM   
KG Erwin

Addendum: you may as well forget about a new mega campaign. Screaming Eagles was the last (and arguably the best for overall value). 

I will forever be grateful for the privelege of contributing to the last abum of the Matrix All Star band. Some have gone on to successful solo careers, while others have retired. In the end, they decided to bow out while they were still at the top.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/8/2006 7:23:38 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/8/2006 8:07:35 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

FJ, it sounds like you may have some axes to grind offsite.  Please do that via PM or private e-mail, OK?  

I mentioned no names. The issue has been hashed out before and it is not really worth bringing up again.

Those who play Enhanced most likeley know what they are getting into and do not mind the OOBs.

I do not think any PMs are nessacary since I do not really care enough about the mod to suggest any changes.
8.4 is perfectly ok with me

But as I said, I do not want to get this off topic.
Just trying to gauge interest in another MC and what topic people would perfer it to cover.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 18
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/8/2006 5:56:58 PM   
Alby

quote:

And as for what I do not like about enhanced, I do not want to get this thread off topic.
I just have some issues with the OOBs and the people who worked on them past works.

past works?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Alby -- 7/8/2006 6:42:04 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: Interest in another mega campaign - 7/8/2006 10:07:37 PM   
m10bob

quote:

Those who play Enhanced most likeley know what they are getting into and do not mind the OOBs.

Don't mind the OOB's???
I'm grateful for them..........EM is the epitomy of WWII OOB's, so far, and was pretty much the only modification which allowed input from an entire forum.
Are you referring to the "past works" of an entire forum??

As far as another Mega Campaign, I hold out for the deeds of Creighton Abrams of the 4th A.D. being the subject of one, compatible with EM....

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Interest in another mega campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI