Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help me choose my favorite AL team

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Help me choose my favorite AL team Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/6/2006 2:22:45 AM   
renojedi

This is going to end up being slightly off topic but there is a PureSim connection.

OK, so I have pretty much been a NL kind of guy with the D-backs as my favorite time. I decided to add a little parity so I wanted to have a favorite AL team as well. The reason being is that I want to start a new game with that AL team, creating all three levels of minors, and play with them for a few seasons.

So here are some parameters: I am in the Army and move every few years so there is no obvious hometown affiliation to work with. And though I currently live in the Baltimore area and am following the Os this year, that changes with my move at the end of the year to Nevada and the fact that the Os really aren't committed to winning and that is a recipe for disaster in the AL East (believe me, I hear ALL of the anti-Angelos news here in the media)

Also, I don't want to follow the Yankees or Red Soxs because that is too cliche. Sorry in advance since I know those teams also have the strongest fan bases.

So who should I follow and why?

< Message edited by renojedi -- 7/6/2006 2:24:41 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/6/2006 2:54:11 AM   
PadresFan104

I'm kinda in the same boat... Have never lived in an AL city, so I really don't have any affiliation with any of them.  Of course I also hate the DH rule...  Here are a couple I'd pick to follow.

Tigers - Been around forever, some great history, and they are having an incredible year.

A's - A really fun team to watch, who always come on strong in September.

(in reply to renojedi)
Post #: 2
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/6/2006 3:16:22 AM   
tbear2b

Completeley Biased Opinion:

The Minnesota Twins. Despite facing contraction a few years ago, they are one of the best small-market successes outside of the Green Bay Packers. Some of their problems are self-inflicted (thanks, stingy Carl Pohlad), but they have heart and it's fun to see them beat the Yankees.

The baseball part that isn't all that fun is they play in the Metrodome, but you could always pretend like its 2010 and they are playing in their new stadium!

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 3
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/6/2006 3:17:19 AM   
matt0177

A's no doubt, and depending on where you move to in Nevada, you may not be that far. If you need an extra boost, read moneyball.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 4
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/6/2006 3:34:10 AM   
rowech

A's are becoming a trendy pick...my AL team has always been the Twins.  (Reds in the NL)  Of course, it was mostly due to Puckett being my favorite player but their a fun team right now.  Unfortunately, just in the wrong division. 

(in reply to matt0177)
Post #: 5
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/6/2006 4:47:17 AM   
renojedi

Wow, a lot of votes for the As. I am moving back to Reno so it will only be a 3.5 hour drive and it will be the team we see on Fox Sports Bay Area. I followed them from 2000-2005 but never really jumped on board fully. Maybe it is time for that. I do like the moneyball approach and is it jsut Karma that when they violated it this year with Loiza, Thomas, and Bradley that they are struggling a little?

More suggestions?

(in reply to renojedi)
Post #: 6
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/6/2006 7:32:17 PM   
SirWolf1960

I'm a Met's fan who now lives in Kansas. So I root for the Royals. I know the Royals are hopeless, but they sure make the Mets look good. ;)

And the Royals sure remind me of the Mets in the mid to late 70's.

Have I convinced ya??????? hehehe

Steve

(in reply to renojedi)
Post #: 7
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/6/2006 7:56:40 PM   
Nukester

Well if you like the D-Backs, you might like the DevilRays. Lots of young talent on that team and they are no worse than the D-Backs. TB should be exciting in a couple of years if they get some pitching ot go along with Kazmir

(in reply to renojedi)
Post #: 8
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/7/2006 1:53:48 AM   
SittingDuck

D-rays.  Now that might be interesting.  I am secretly (well, not now) hoping they put the O's in the cellar this year as a further message to Angelos.

Yeah, avoid the O's.  You missed the golden O's era.  It's like a police officer at a massive collision scene: "Move on, son - nothing to see here..."

But above all things, avoid trendy picking.  There is absolutely nothing worse than a front-runner fan.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 9
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/7/2006 4:39:02 AM   
Rhett

As my hometown (ish) team, I would vote the Angels. I like Sciosa, and they have some fun players to watch. Also, the stadium is really nice if you want to go watch a game (and you can still get some decent seats for cheap). A's are awfully trendy, otherwise I would vote for them. Second choice would be Twins.

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 10
RE: Help me choose my favorite AL team - 7/7/2006 4:59:02 AM   
akcranker

I would say Tampa Bay because they have alot of young exciting players and should be a good team within a few years.  I really like Carl Crawford.

(in reply to Rhett)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Help me choose my favorite AL team Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI