Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Speed of Free Agency...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Speed of Free Agency... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Speed of Free Agency... - 7/8/2006 5:04:15 PM   
Dunk44

is taking the fun out of this game for me. I'm guessing it took 3-4 hours to complete this task. I started in 2005 trying to rebuild the Royals, house rules of only one Free Agent signing per season, no initiating trades. Basically rebuild through the draft.

All was going well, 'cept the Royals '05 season of course. I simmed through a month at a time, eager to start the rebuild. Drafted, went on to FA, went through 2 weeks till I signed a player, then skipped the rest. UGH. I am still in disbelief that it can take that long.
Now I'm not saying I have the fastest setup in the world, a 2.2 GHz Celeron 512 ram, but I'd think it would be faster than 3 hours to get through FA.

Is there something I can do to speed this up, besides buying a better machine. I am using 1.18, 70 players.
Post #: 1
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/8/2006 6:15:29 PM   
lynchjm24

Just a guess but smaller rosters might help you since there would be less of a need to sign free agents and you'd probably go through fewer weeks.

I don't have a great machine and I don't have this problem at all - but I only play a 10 team league even though I use 70 players.

(in reply to Dunk44)
Post #: 2
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/8/2006 8:30:06 PM   
SpharV2

You've got an issue somewhere, I'm running nearly the same setup except it's a fictional league and only 24 teams. My computer is a 3 GHz with the same amount if ram, and I'm getting through in no more than 10 minutes, and that's if I'm actually trying to pick guys up. The extra 8 teams shouldn't add two or three hours. :)

< Message edited by SpharV2 -- 7/8/2006 8:32:00 PM >

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 3
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/8/2006 9:28:29 PM   
Dunk44

I have uninstalled/reinstalled and it still is slow as can be. Spring training ran for 30 minutes or more, mostly teams evaluating talent and trying to sign FAs, which really annoyed me since there was only scrubs worth 37,500 available. I did finally alt-ctrl-del out of spring training, it was either that or punch my monitor. When I restarted, spring training was over\skipped so it was on to day one. The teams just kept evaluating talent until finally day 1 was simmed, which took 5 minutes of more evaluation. Day 2 started with more evaluation, which I grew sick of real quik and exited the game.

If I didn't like this game, especially the in season play and almanac, I'd just give up and forget the $15. Guess I'll try another league, probably fictional, and see how it goes.

(in reply to SpharV2)
Post #: 4
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/8/2006 9:41:56 PM   
rowech

I have a much slower laptop than that and it takes me about 30-60 minutes to get through the entire offseason. 

(in reply to Dunk44)
Post #: 5
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/8/2006 11:58:21 PM   
akcranker

Yea Dunk try not to get too frustrated.  Something is obviously wrong.  Wait until you can talk to Shaun about it.  He may be able to help you figure it out.

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 6
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/9/2006 10:38:46 AM   
mossicon

a couple of things to try:

1. turn off your anti virus whilst running the game
2. defrag your hard drive

if i have my anti virus on whilst running OOTP, it slows it down somewhat.

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 7
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/9/2006 5:06:33 PM   
henry296

Dunk,

Did you just install a Windows Update?  I did recently and I think it has caused my game to slow down.

Anyone know if I can roll back Windows XP easily?

(in reply to mossicon)
Post #: 8
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/9/2006 5:19:08 PM   
Deltadog

Using system restore in your accessories folder might be what you want. It takes your hard disk back to an earlier time. If you created any files you want to keep since that prior time, you ought to save then to a CD, Floppy, or other exterior storage.

(in reply to henry296)
Post #: 9
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/9/2006 5:53:37 PM   
Dunk44

henry,

Ya know, I do believe there was a Windows update a few days ago. You might just be on to something here. Will give it a try.

Moss,

Yep, have tried those already. Didn't help anything. OOTP 6.xx ran horribly slow on my machine also with the antivirus I was using. I tried PCcillin antivirus and it doesn't slow down OOTP at all...weird.

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 10
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/9/2006 6:11:18 PM   
mossicon

weird indeed!

(in reply to Dunk44)
Post #: 11
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/9/2006 6:25:08 PM   
henry296

It looks like the update was called Windows Genuine Authentication (or something like that) and it can't be uninstalled with Add/Remove Programs.   I might try the System Restore, but I'll need to backup my Puresim game first.

(in reply to mossicon)
Post #: 12
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/9/2006 7:43:24 PM   
johneh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dunk44

is taking the fun out of this game for me. I'm guessing it took 3-4 hours to complete this task Is there something I can do to speed this up, besides buying a better machine. I am using 1.18, 70 players.

I have the same problem.. it took about 1 hour for the CPU to finish the FA period.

(in reply to Dunk44)
Post #: 13
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/9/2006 11:24:10 PM   
DandricSturm

quote:

ORIGINAL: johneh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dunk44

is taking the fun out of this game for me. I'm guessing it took 3-4 hours to complete this task Is there something I can do to speed this up, besides buying a better machine. I am using 1.18, 70 players.

I have the same problem.. it took about 1 hour for the CPU to finish the FA period.

I think the overall speed of the off season, which was greatly streamlined a few versions ago, has now gotten far too long again. Does free agency really need 16 weeks? Must the almanac be updated as part of the off season?

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/

(in reply to johneh)
Post #: 14
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/10/2006 12:10:10 AM   
SpharV2

quote:

ORIGINAL: henry296

It looks like the update was called Windows Genuine Authentication (or something like that) and it can't be uninstalled with Add/Remove Programs.   I might try the System Restore, but I'll need to backup my Puresim game first.

Ugh...Anyone heard about this update? I generally don't have a huge problem with them because I know what an utter pain in the rear their job would be, but this one is just too much. Check this out if you haven't heard about WGA. WGA info

(in reply to henry296)
Post #: 15
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/10/2006 1:11:49 AM   
henry296

Of course, I had system restore turned off.  I've posted on the MS message board about the speed issues.  I'll post back if I here anything.

(in reply to SpharV2)
Post #: 16
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/10/2006 1:25:33 AM   
rwd59

Unfortunately I've got another one of those updates sitting waiting to be installed right now.

(in reply to SpharV2)
Post #: 17
RE: Speed of Free Agency... - 7/10/2006 2:53:49 AM   
Dunk44

I decided to try another league, this time using 20 teams, 2 leagues, fictional teams and players. I drafted 30 players and let the cpu finish the next 30 rounds. Spring training went fast and had no glitches. I've played my first 4 games and the other games/days are simming fast. Hopefully come time for FA it will continue to go smooth.

(in reply to rwd59)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Speed of Free Agency... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI