Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for grogs)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for grogs) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for grogs) - 7/15/2006 7:58:02 AM   
Bloodybucket28th

Ok, after waiting about a kazillion years (through no fault of Matrix or NWS, I was cursed by Divine Weather Intervention) my cd arrived, and because of the wise advice posted by many sage TOAW veterans here, I spent a few days studying the manual and reading all the online strategy articles before attempting the tutorial.

Either that or I dove right in to the Korea '51 scenario. I can't remember, the days and nights since the game got here are pretty blurry.

Oh, I'll admit that I have stayed from the True Path, and cravenly paid attention to things like work and family ("HONEY, TURN OFF THAT DAMN COMPUTER AND GO TO BED") but for the most part my fevered brain is consumed with more important questions like "Holy Smokes, what am I supposed to do with all those Chinese Hordes© coming at me?" or "Why are my Marines limited to invading port hexes?" or "Would JMass's mod go better with the off-white walls in my office, or should I go with the classic look?"

So, I'm wondering what is the typical timeframe before the bloom comes off the rose and I no longer want to chant "Urrah, Urrah!" whenever I score a major victory like finding gas at under three bucks a gallon or imagine that I see a little orange square in the upper right corner of my forehead before my morning coffee?

What's the story on TOAW and burnout? What keeps it fresh? How long have you been hooked? Step on up, brothers and sisters, and Testify!

Post #: 1
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 8:39:14 AM   
Okimaw

My name is Okimaw and I have a TOAW addiction. I started playing again 3 1/2 months ago after a long period away (5yrs, see, you can never truly kick this habit) and I can't stop. In all since 1999 I've owned TOAW 1 & Elite edition, TOAW 2 & Flashpoint Kosovo BP, ACOW, and now TOAW 3. First it was one innocent pbem on my vintage TOAW 2, then I got ACOW, then I got a newer and faster computer (specifically to play this game) and TOAW III. Now I have 7 pbem's going with opponents across the globe except for Africa and I'm sure if some guy is playing in a hut in Timbuktu I'll pbem him at some point. I enjoy the game too much, first it was WW2 east front scens now I'm onto the modern scens, my only question is what aspect will I discover next? The .17 patch has only heightened my sense of enjoyment. Is that enough testimony?

< Message edited by Okimaw -- 7/15/2006 6:33:04 PM >

I have returned

(in reply to Bloodybucket28th)
Post #: 2
The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for grogs) - 7/15/2006 10:03:25 AM   
larryfulkerson

My name is Larry Fulkerson ( aka larryfulkerson ) and I'm addicted.  It's been about 30 seconds since my last fix.  I'm playing three games simultaneously ( pbem ) and I find that the computer is the first thing I turn on in the morning, then the coffee maker in that order.  I check the forum(s) for TOAW messages like I can't live without them....yeah, about 20 times a day.  I'm going to have to start designing scenarios in order to get more out of this game, since I've been playing for about three years now.  I started playing against the PO, then I found the SZO forum and started playing PBEM and it's been great so far.  I don't much care where I rank on the ladder ( well, I do but not that much ) and would rather help others be better players since I wished I had somebody who would do that for me when I was learning.  Golden rule and all that....do for somebody else what you would hope they would do for you, etc. 

Anyway I designed a small 10-turn scenario called BAT-21 ( it's on the SZO downloads section ) and it didn't do much and almost nobody in the world played it except me I guess but it did ignite a fire in my designer belly.  Now I want to tackle something that has events, etc.  in it.  Good thing there's this forum that has talented scenario designers in it and a sub-forum just for scenario design.  I'd probably end up playtesting it with some people like forever....there's this tweak until it's perfect drive......the perfect is the enemy of "good enough" you know.
I'm probably gonna try to design a scenario that includes a map that has North Vietnam, South Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, etc. and events coming out of the wazoo and thousands and thousands of units, etc.  a monster ala FitE.  There's a boatload of information on the net about what unit was where when etc. so I'm hopefull that it won't be so bad trying to do a decent OOB.  The Map might be the thing that kills me though, since we don't have a decent map editor.  Speaking of the Editor....I could really lobby for a better editor, Ralph, hint, hint.

(in reply to Okimaw)
Post #: 3
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 11:44:41 AM   
cantona

first contact 2002...still going strong

1966 was a great year for english football...eric was born

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 11:56:39 AM   
Glorfindel

Larry, I am a complete newbie to the TOAW-series and I have to say that it´s the kind of people like you and so many others, the developers included, whith a passion not only for the game but more importantly with the willingness to share their experiences to us newcomers which really makes this game such a enjoyable experience. When I put my first question here a couple of days ago I got the reply within a minute (creds to IAMiAM)! I am sure this is a great game but what really sets it apart is the passion and enthusiasm of the community which encourage people like me to tackle it´s rather steep learning curve!

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 5
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 12:15:02 PM   
panzerpelle

1998....TOAWI. Never been off since....It was a worthy successor to V for Victory series... Of all the games I have bought TOAW IS the only one still placed on my HD...and its the first program I install when I have upgraded the hardware. I got a new dimension when I discovered the editor and made my first scenario. The feedback from all players is 50% of the fun of beeing a scenario designer.

(in reply to Glorfindel)
Post #: 6
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 4:05:19 PM   
Erik2

1998 here as well, both as a player and designer.
My first Weserubung was created back then.

Erik

(in reply to panzerpelle)
Post #: 7
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 5:24:07 PM   
Widell

My name is Robert Widell, and I´m a TOAW addict. First bought the TOAW I and II releases (including the Battle Packs), the COW and now TOAW III. It´s been the first none operating system application to be installed on each new computer I have purchased since I got TOAW I back in 98. I don´t dare to start PBEM, as it would most likely cost me my family and my job! But wait, summer is soon over, and then, maybe, just a small shot of the PBEM fix?

(in reply to panzerpelle)
Post #: 8
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 6:47:52 PM   
golden delicious

Well I was running a few things at once last night and...

http://www.geocities.com/maldenhill/TOAW.jpg

Problem? No, I don't have a problem...

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 9
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 6:59:49 PM   
Silvanski

Attachment (1)

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 10
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 7:32:51 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

I can tell that's not what he's really saying- women never play TOAW...

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 11
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 7:54:45 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

Judging from some of the things on my mind, this thread could just nose-dive from here...(bites tongue, and twists fingers into a knot)...

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 7/15/2006 7:55:12 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 9:27:43 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

See... us girls enjoy this one too!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 13
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 9:30:21 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

Oh yea! Bite your tongue dude!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

Post #: 14
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 10:33:52 PM   
Telumar

quote:

quote:

Veers claimed at SZO he's been playing hotseat with his girl-friend...whatever that means.

Post #: 15
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 10:50:16 PM   
Catch21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar
Veers claimed at SZO he's been playing hotseat with his girl-friend...whatever that means.

Oh, I'd say that leaves plenty of room for manoeuvre...

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 16
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 10:56:37 PM   
JAMiAM

That's one case where a "Hold on at all costs" order should be obeyed...

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 17
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/15/2006 11:29:07 PM   
parusski

My name is David. I am an addict. TOAW is destroying my life. My wife is threating to leave me if I do not stop. Can anyone help????

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Bloodybucket28th)
Post #: 18
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 12:23:04 AM   
alaric99x

David, we don't respond to threats, do we?  Recommend you let her leave and play on.  Please feel free to ask if you need further advice.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 19
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 12:30:17 AM   
Okimaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: alaric99x

David, we don't respond to threats, do we?  Recommend you let her leave and play on.  Please feel free to ask if you need further advice.

Yes David, I'd have to agree this is as sound advice as you can get in this situation. If noone is around on the forum next time you can just ask yourself, What would Homer Simpson do in a case like this?

I have returned

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 20
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 12:33:51 AM   
Catch21

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
That's one case where a "Hold on at all costs" order should be obeyed...

Or on offence 'Single Unit Attack' set to 'Ignore Losses'.

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 21
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 12:35:09 AM   
alaric99x

Thank you Okimaw, in this case two opinions make a strong majority.

(in reply to Okimaw)
Post #: 22
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 12:51:09 AM   
parusski

Thanks for that slap across my face. I can se clearly no.
And i just told the little women to suck it up or LEAVE..so she left....I have one timy problem-my wife makes 5 times the money i do. uuuuuuuuuuuuuu

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 23
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 12:57:04 AM   
Okimaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Thanks for that slap across my face. I can se clearly no.
And i just told the little women to suck it up or LEAVE..so she left....I have one timy problem-my wife makes 5 times the money i do. uuuuuuuuuuuuuu

There;s no problem there, if she was the principal breadwinner the whole time you're married you're entitled to ALIMONY, big time. Just think now you can quit your job and play TOAW 3 ALL DAY ALL NIGHT.

I have returned

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 24
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 6:24:47 PM   
parusski

OH GOD. That is a great idea. I will get alimony and play TOAW 20 hours a day. Okimaw, you should be either a marriage counselor or a divorce lawyer. Brilliant.

(in reply to Okimaw)
Post #: 25
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 6:57:18 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Oh yea! Bite your tongue dude!

Actually I've heard of two other women playing TOAW over at TDG, though one was only because she's married to one of our members.

Just, very, very rare. And none in my country

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 26
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 6:58:31 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

My name is David. I am an addict. TOAW is destroying my life. My wife is threating to leave me if I do not stop. Can anyone help????

Soften her up with artillery first, then make a deep penetration into...

No... not going to go there.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 27
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 7:09:56 PM   
alaric99x

Golden, may I suggest the procedure that I usually use?

- If she's user-friendly, but your hard drive in her floppy.

Post #: 28
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 9:48:29 PM   
kfmiller41

Carefull Purruski, if she is paying alimony she may demand your TOAW in the divorce, just for spite (not that I would know anything about divorces)
I have been playing TOAW on and off for years. Am playng Larryfunkerson now (yes he is insanely addicted) and it is just alot of fun.

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to alaric99x)
Post #: 29
RE: The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for... - 7/16/2006 11:18:21 PM   
parusski

Than fuels my paranoia...I just burned 4 copies of TOAW- I will put them in several secure locations until her broom starts up.,,Thanks to everyone here-the help was greatlley needed.

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The Operational Art of Addiction (TOAW as crack for grogs) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI