Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/17/2006 12:07:06 AM   
Nauticus

The announcement that a new tactical carrier warfare game is coming in the future has made my day. On the other hand I spent far too much time playing the original Gary Grigsby Carrier Strike, and was constantly Nagumoed!

Any idea of the time scale we are talking about here, 6 months, a year, two???????

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/17/2006 9:52:16 AM   
Skyfire7631

Announcement ? What announcement ? Can't seem to find anything about that.

Very interested too, of course

Regards.

(in reply to Nauticus)
Post #: 2
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/17/2006 10:15:53 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

Check it out from the 2by3 dev journal.
Stolen from a WitP thread you can read here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1194230

I'd be MUCH more excited if they said you could also have tactical control over surface engagements and land battles though....

(in reply to Skyfire7631)
Post #: 3
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/17/2006 4:10:25 PM   
Skyfire7631

Ah thanks, Juggalo

Looks really interesting, I'll be following that closely, that's for sure

Regards.

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 4
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/17/2006 7:38:43 PM   
RedMike

Very cool indeed!!

Hannibal ad portas

Post #: 5
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/17/2006 8:22:05 PM   
Terminus

Bleh...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to RedMike)
Post #: 6
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/19/2006 3:20:08 AM   
Joel Billings

We're hoping for the UV carrier game to be done first half of 2007 and the carrier strike game will follow after that (probably 9 months to a year later, but that's just a guess).

(in reply to Nauticus)
Post #: 7
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/19/2006 5:15:00 AM   
itsjustme

Joel,

I mean this with all due respect, but hasn't the pacific war now been covered sufficiently to allow, for the time being, a focus on another theater.  There is a dedicated fanatic and wide following of eastern front gamers who are dying to be exploited.  I for one would beg you to reconsider the delay of the War In Russia remake.

Regardless fo the decision, thanks in advance for the continued commitment to wargames.

(in reply to Nauticus)
Post #: 8
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/19/2006 5:52:02 AM   
AcePylut

I hope not.  There's 1000 games out there for the European theater... and only a minute few for the Pacific war.

(in reply to itsjustme)
Post #: 9
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/20/2006 3:54:32 PM   
Nauticus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

We're hoping for the UV carrier game to be done first half of 2007 and the carrier strike game will follow after that (probably 9 months to a year later, but that's just a guess).

Thanks Joel, I can wait for UV carrier and Carrier Strike now I have just got HTTR and am getting involved in that theatre of war.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 10
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/20/2006 7:39:13 PM   
Skyfire7631

Since the cat is out the bag now , I'd like to present two requests, if they are not taken into account already, for UV Deluxe : fix the last remaining bugs (of course), and give the possibility for air missions to have a user-set maximum range (I think it's a feature in WitP, a feature that was also asked several times for UV). TIA.

Regards.

(in reply to Nauticus)
Post #: 11
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/21/2006 7:12:40 AM   
pad152

CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE, Huh

Now that we have Witp, can we realy go back to UV?

I want something new not a rehash of the same.
I would like to see a Med game (aka Bomb Alley) or a new modern war game (aka North Atlantic 86) using something like a modified UV/Witp engine.

All this, plus no east front, I'm very disappointed in 2by game's direction!

< Message edited by pad152 -- 7/21/2006 7:14:13 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/21/2006 10:17:23 AM   
Akos Gergely

I beg your pardon Joel but what is really the point of developing two very similar games (UV Deluxe and CS)? If I understand it correctly they would cover the same field, albeit the letter one is richer in detail and options, so why not just push CS forward?

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 13
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/21/2006 10:34:00 PM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

Carrier Force [UV Deluxe] would offer the player the chance to control land, sea and air forces over a period of weeks or months in the South Pacific.

Carrier Strike would offer the player the chance to play carrier battles lasting several days, across the Pacific, over a period of years, with role playing aspects.

Scale would be 30 miles hex for Carrier Force, 15 mile hex for Carrier Strike. Combat systems and flight operations systems quite similar.

Different objectives and scope.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: csatahajos

I beg your pardon Joel but what is really the point of developing two very similar games (UV Deluxe and CS)? If I understand it correctly they would cover the same field, albeit the letter one is richer in detail and options, so why not just push CS forward?

< Message edited by Mike Wood -- 7/21/2006 10:35:18 PM >

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 14
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/22/2006 12:34:45 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE, Huh

Now that we have Witp, can we realy go back to UV?

I want something new not a rehash of the same.
I would like to see a Med game (aka Bomb Alley) or a new modern war game (aka North Atlantic 86) using something like a modified UV/Witp engine.

All this, plus no east front, I'm very disappointed in 2by game's direction!

I pretty much agree with you on this. I note MW's comment that CS will incorporate "role playing." No, thanks. The CF game might be interesting, particularly for someone like me who got a huge kick out of the old game by the same title, but I don't understand why the UV "engine" would be used at all.

Personally, I ultimately found UV to be unplayable, and no longer have any interest in it or any offshoots from it. As Matrix left the game in a shambles with nothing in place but a severely flawed beta patch, I just don't understand how it is usable for future designs.

I'd like to see an "engine" that works (note that WitP still suffers from a great number of problems that are not likely ever to be resolved to a degree greater than currently. I cite Bob and Joe's attempt at adding the a/c group withdrawal at your home base "feature" that turned disastrous as evidence that there is just not much point in fiddling around with this thing anymore). Then, I'd like to see that "engine" fine tuned and put into games that really have some appeal.

More Pacific carrier games? I dunno. I really wanted to see "Bomb Alley." I also really wanted to see a good run taken at the Eastern front with a fresh design that maybe - just maybe - could have served as a springboard for some great new strategic-level land warfare directions ... the Korean War ... the Africa campaign in exquisite detail ... Vietnam ... hypothetical World War III in Europe and Asia ... Armageddon (hypthetical WWIII centered on the Middle East) ...

Oh, well.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 15
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/22/2006 11:54:40 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

As Matrix left the game in a shambles with nothing in place but a severely flawed beta patch, I just don't understand how it is usable for future designs.

I'd like to see an "engine" that works (note that WitP still suffers from a great number of problems that are not likely ever to be resolved to a degree greater than currently.

Couldn't agree more with these comments, unless the flawed UV & WitP patches can be corrected of course.
Logic dictates that the UV engine has to have it's faults corrected before applying it to any other game, unless Matrix wishes to spend even more time on patches after the event and put off it's customer base from future purchases!

The idea behind the engine is sound and would be great for other arena's
of WW2. re grand strategy or perhaps a hypothetical war against mainland USA ( 1942/3 onwards ).
It strikes me that it should be easier to cure the exsisting engine than create a new one which could turn out to have just as many faults.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 16
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/31/2006 6:59:29 PM   
GJK

I've been playing the original Carrier Strike via DOSBox and was just commenting to my brother that I wish Matrix would remake this great game. No other game lets you manage the flight decks and overall carrier operations like CS did (if there is another game that does, someone let me know). So to me, this is great news!

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 17
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 7/31/2006 7:41:47 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: DEB

It strikes me that it should be easier to cure the exsisting engine than create a new one which could turn out to have just as many faults.

Not when every fixed bug creates two new ones, as has been the case.

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 18
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/2/2006 12:42:20 AM   
pad152

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

Hello...

Carrier Force [UV Deluxe] would offer the player the chance to control land, sea and air forces over a period of weeks or months in the South Pacific.

Carrier Strike would offer the player the chance to play carrier battles lasting several days, across the Pacific, over a period of years, with role playing aspects.

Scale would be 30 miles hex for Carrier Force, 15 mile hex for Carrier Strike. Combat systems and flight operations systems quite similar.

Different objectives and scope.

Bye...

Michael Wood

Ok, so it's not the same old UV, but still it's another pacific war game, it's time to move on to something new, new theather, new timeframe, new something. Maybe 2by3 games should change their name to rehash games.

< Message edited by pad152 -- 8/2/2006 12:46:40 AM >

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 19
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/2/2006 1:19:59 AM   
Zakhal

Im not sure tactical carrier combat would make UV any more interesting than it is (or isnt) currently. Ive played carriers at war 1 & 2 and carrier strike recently (both are tactical carrier games). Ok you can launch planes...no biggie. You have several recon reports and have to decide where to send them. Choose bomb or torpedo for the kate. Use the elevator. Thats most of it.

After WPO and WITP I simply dont see how tactical carrier combat would make it any more interesting. Especially if forced into UV scale from WPO/WITP. Its just lil bit more micromanagament with limited options.

On the otherhand if surface combat could be enhanced too with tactical decisions every 15min then perhaps. But othervice Im not really thrilled. Most of the gameplay will still be old UV and thats not much after WITP/WPO.

Not to forget the pbem (with no AI its the only option). With 15min turns it could take 2-3 RL weeks to finish just one carrier battle. Yesterday I armed the planes. Today I put them on the elevator. Tomorrow Ill launch them.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 8/2/2006 1:26:04 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 20
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/2/2006 4:30:15 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal
Yesterday I armed the planes. Today I put them on the elevator. Tomorrow Ill launch them.

Sounds a little like what Julius Caesar might say if put in charge of Kido Butai: "Veni with Zeroes, Vidi with float planes, Vici with torpedoes."

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 21
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/2/2006 4:55:07 AM   
RedMike

Whatever...I think UV is more fun than WitP.

Hannibal ad portas

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 22
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/2/2006 7:32:48 PM   
Grotius

I never played CAW, so I for one am looking forward to this. And I'm happy that 2by3 will again be focusing on the Pacific; I've played countless Eastern Front and West Europe games, but only a couple Pacific War games. So to me this is good news.

(in reply to RedMike)
Post #: 23
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/2/2006 7:57:35 PM   
Skyfire7631

I'm with RedMike and Grotius on this (except that I did play CAW )

I'd also like some tactical options for naval combat, tough

Regards.

< Message edited by Skyfire76 -- 8/2/2006 8:01:40 PM >

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 24
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/2/2006 10:58:24 PM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

I'm with RedMike and Grotius, too. So is Gary. We thought the games would be fun, which is why we are doing them (that, plus a goodly number of requests on the Matrix forums for a Carrier Strike remake and many requests for greater granularity in carrier operations in UV).

Got to get back to work on Carrier Force...

Michael Wood

Post #: 25
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/16/2006 2:31:54 AM   
rekab

Great News!!

I love Flat Top and all CV v CV games.

Please fix the UV engine for those of us who have stuck with it, I know Matrix said no more but if you can turn it into a real working test bed who knows what it could lead to!

--Bob

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 26
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/16/2006 4:37:54 AM   
RedMike

Yeah! Fix UV and screw WitP!!

Hannibal ad portas

(in reply to rekab)
Post #: 27
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/16/2006 9:10:07 PM   
Brady

Interesting, so this is the future of UV/WiTP...very cool, so were looking at this in lue of WiTP II?, or this is WiTP 2? I gues in other words will it eveunatly have the same scope and detaile, but more so as WiTP?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to RedMike)
Post #: 28
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/16/2006 9:17:15 PM   
Terminus

There won't be a WitP 2. It would be insanity to try and program it, and the market wouldn't be there. They're doing an upgrade UV and Carrier Strike (of all things)... And it's not nice to say "screw WitP"...

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 29
RE: CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE - 8/16/2006 9:29:53 PM   
Brady

I gues Not having played Carier strike, I dont fully grasp the scope of the referance, though the tittle does sugest a much smaller and detailed aproach to Cv vs Cv battles compared to UV/WiTP...

WiTP II- I dont realy get why not, the WiTP forum has far more hits than anyother forum for anyother game on the Forum (except I beleave Steal panthers), so it seams prety popular, why not imrpove it?

UV is such a small little game, I cnat imaging playing now, I woul just to try out the "delux" varient , but realy the scope of UV is so small, WiTP runied me for it.

< Message edited by Brady -- 8/16/2006 9:31:34 PM >

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> CARRIER STRIKE AND UV DELUXE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI