Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Molotov's cocktail

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Molotov's cocktail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Molotov's cocktail - 7/23/2000 6:10:00 PM   
illo

I was playing one of finnish winterwar scenarios of SPWAW. I was amazed to see that russians have molotov's cocktails but finnish dont. So let me make this clear. Finnish forces invented molotov's cocktail (koskenkorva vodka bottle filled with gasoline) due to lack of proper ATGs at start of Winter WAr. Name is joke...as you might get it. Russians may have copied it and later used it against germans...dunno. 2nd finnish seem to have quite much ATGs in your scenarios, in RL those were REALLY rare. Tank was usually destroyed at close range by satchel charges ands molotov cocktails...and often pushing logs in tracks was the only way to immobilize tanks. So now we finnish cant even offer Molotov a cocktail ...plz correct that

Post #: 1
- 7/23/2000 6:40:00 PM   
Voriax

As a Finn I hate to disagree but we only invented the name, if even that. Gasoline filled bottles as AT-weapons is afaik an older invention, Spanish civil war or even earlier. Wait for the new OOB that will hopefully be ready when 3.0 patch comes out. There also the Finnish troops have molotovs. Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to illo)
Post #: 2
- 7/23/2000 8:19:00 PM   
Juho

quote:

Originally posted by Voriax: As a Finn I hate to disagree but we only invented the name, if even that. Gasoline filled bottles as AT-weapons is afaik an older invention, Spanish civil war or even earlier. Voriax
That is correct. Molotov cocktails were first used in Spanish civil war, but the name was first used in Finland. At the start of the winter war Finland had only the following atgs: 48 Swedish 37K/34 18 Tampella 37K/36 32 VTT 37K/36 98 Total Also Finland had 14 old Russian infantry guns used as atgs, but they were no good. Finns destroyed 1904 Russian in Karelian isthmus alone during the winter war. 955 of them were destroyed with guns. Rest of them were destroyed with satchel charges, mines and molotov cocktails. Quite impressive. Juho

(in reply to illo)
Post #: 3
- 7/25/2000 12:07:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Whoever invented it made a very fiendish weapon, that is for sure WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to illo)
Post #: 4
- 7/26/2000 1:29:00 AM   
illo

yes...right, thx for correcting me.

(in reply to illo)
Post #: 5
- 7/26/2000 4:30:00 AM   
Guderian

quote:

Originally posted by illo: I was playing one of finnish winterwar scenarios of SPWAW. I was amazed to see that russians have molotov's cocktails but finnish dont. So let me make this clear. Finnish forces invented molotov's cocktail (koskenkorva vodka bottle filled with gasoline) due to lack of proper ATGs at start of Winter WAr. Name is joke...as you might get it. Russians may have copied it and later used it against germans...dunno. 2nd finnish seem to have quite much ATGs in your scenarios, in RL those were REALLY rare. Tank was usually destroyed at close range by satchel charges ands molotov cocktails...and often pushing logs in tracks was the only way to immobilize tanks. So now we finnish cant even offer Molotov a cocktail ...plz correct that
Let my drop my 2 cents ;-) Molotov cocktail is even earlier creation. It is named after russian anarchist Nikholai Molotov (no, not after Soviet politican), who used it to assasinate some general back in 1905 AFAIR. It was made popular during Spanish civil war, due to (relative) efficency against tanks. However, the best "Molotovs" were made by Finns, due to particularily nasty combo of fuels used.

(in reply to illo)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Molotov's cocktail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI