Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lebanon 1982 Israel vs. Arab PO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Lebanon 1982 Israel vs. Arab PO Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lebanon 1982 Israel vs. Arab PO - 7/21/2006 7:32:33 AM   
Mad Cow

In two games I was Israel, tasked with knocking out the PLO and drive up the Lebanese coast to Beruit while also smashing the Syrian army in the Bekaa Valley.

Both times I am able to break into the Bekaa, but the game ends before I can take advantage of interdiction which has bled the Syrians dry. Both times I get up to the outskirts of Beruit only to have the game end on me. Israel loses in disgrace.

Nevermind that the Syrian force in the Bekaa are all but broken, the front stands wide open, the Syrians in the rear can offer no resistance, and within 2 or 3 days I would have captured Beruit.

The frustrating part is that there is no way Israel would have stopped this operation on the verge of victory. I don't see how I could have gone fast enough to crush the Syrians and break into the valley.

But I am not a great player even though I have put years into the game.

In my first battle I made a ton of mistakes which I was punished for by triggering events which put me in a 90 point hole (Soviet Diplomatic intervention, Soviet interceptors deploying and attacking a hex before a civilian unit disbanded

In the second battle I avoided the Soviets, smashed the Syrians quickly and used intervention to great effect. Sometimes. Problem was that every other turn the interdiction level would drop from 74% to 0%! I have no idea why. No air units were reorganizing or otherwise unavailable, all still retained their interdiction orders.

all screens from second game.

Anyways, here is the entire map on the games last turn, 12 of a possible 16.

As I said, Bekaa front torn open. Beruit still not taken, but the defense will buckle soon.

Here is a closeup of the Bekaa Front:

My losses in the Bekaa Valley offensive were very low in this game, expecially considering the last one. But I did not have to trade time as I was actually progressing much better in this attempt than my first game.

I took more casualties than I would have liked on the road to Beruit (below) but I do not think they were too bad:

Here is the final situational briefing. If only I could get a few of those "5 remaining turns!"

To sum it up, I could have used a few more turns. This game was great fun both times, but especially the second. The designer seems to have been extra tough on the Israeli player. Maybe someone who is a better player than me can make it work. I rarely got more than two rounds per turn and this probably really hurt me.

I do want to stress that I think the scenario is excellent, very well done. I will try it again to see if I can do better next time.

Post #: 1
RE: Lebanon 1982 Israel vs. Arab PO - 7/21/2006 10:09:30 PM   
Dr. Foo

I gather that since militarily Lebanon, The PLO, and Syrians are no match for the Israelis that a strict time limit to reach victory had to be imposed.

You should not look at it as the Israelis gave up and lost the war, rather that as a commander you did not reach the given objectives in time. The war will continue just not with you as you have been relived!

You could always go into the editor and add a few turns.

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 2
RE: Lebanon 1982 Israel vs. Arab PO - 7/21/2006 10:46:57 PM   
jimwinsor

"Problem was that every other turn the interdiction level would drop from 74% to 0%! I have no idea why. No air units were reorganizing or otherwise unavailable, all still retained their interdiction orders. "

I betcha I know why...  :o)

According to the Situation Briefing example you posted above, its Turn 12 (AM, June 12, 1982).  Note the "AM"

In other words, you got yourself a scenario with day/night turns...thats why your interdiction goes up, then disappears.

I wish the game somehow alerted you to the day/night situation; you know, a little less-contrasted map perhaps, or a sun/moon symbol in the corner, or cricket chirping sounds, etc...as in the heat of battle of one of these half day turn scenarios, I often lose track of this important detail myself! 

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 3
RE: Lebanon 1982 Israel vs. Arab PO - 7/21/2006 10:49:03 PM   
Mad Cow

I couldn't resist and I tried it again last night.

This time I didn't even bother taking out the Syrian AA in the Bekaa Valley, I just set two air units on AS and hte rest on interdiction. The results were great, the enemy was beaten up. That along with some luck allowed me to crash into the Bekaa Valley with ease and overrun all the vic-hexes there, I was also able to take Beruit for a overwelming victory.

Third time's a charm.

:D

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 4
RE: Lebanon 1982 Israel vs. Arab PO - 7/21/2006 10:51:15 PM   
Mad Cow

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

"Problem was that every other turn the interdiction level would drop from 74% to 0%! I have no idea why. No air units were reorganizing or otherwise unavailable, all still retained their interdiction orders. "

I betcha I know why... :o)

According to the Situation Briefing example you posted above, its Turn 12 (AM, June 12, 1982). Note the "AM"

In other words, you got yourself a scenario with day/night turns...thats why your interdiction goes up, then disappears.

I wish the game somehow alerted you to the day/night situation; you know, a little less-contrasted map perhaps, or a sun/moon symbol in the corner, or cricket chirping sounds, etc...as in the heat of battle of one of these half day turn scenarios, I often lose track of this important detail myself!

That makes sense. In my third game I had more units on Interdiction and this time the level would go down every other turn but not dissappear. So I was hitting Syrian units every turn, but on day turns it was a lot worse.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Lebanon 1982 Israel vs. Arab PO Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI