Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

UK Prices

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> UK Prices Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UK Prices - 7/16/2006 7:22:18 PM   
MikeBrough

Apologies if this one has already been discussed but I've been on holiday for a week or two.

Have UK prices suddenly increased? I'd been keeping an eye on Harpoon and TOAW but the prices seem to have increased by a pound or two.

Has the exchange rate moved recently?

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.
Post #: 1
RE: UK Prices - 7/16/2006 7:53:07 PM   
Hertston

Looks that way. Harpoon is now £32.99, and I paid £26.99 (plus VAT) for it. Likewise CotA. And TOAW is £26.99 rather than £21.99. Glad I bought when I did.

A fiver is quite a hike. Any explanation, Matrix bods? The increase seems excessive, but if it is necessary why not just put it on future titles?

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 2
RE: UK Prices - 7/16/2006 8:10:29 PM   
MikeBrough

Current exchange rate is 1.83 dollars to the pound. Over the past 3 months, the rate has been slightly higher (1.84-ish).

UK price for digital download of WITP is £40. At 1.83 dollars/pound, this equates to $73.20. But the price on the US store site is only $70.

At these rates, we'll have to take the colony back under our control again.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 3
RE: UK Prices - 7/16/2006 8:59:02 PM   
JudgeDredd

Maybe they are charging extra because they're gonna produce manuals now! lol!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 4
RE: UK Prices - 7/17/2006 11:32:48 PM   
Hertston

C'mon Matrix folks.. an answer to this one would be nice, hmm?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: UK Prices - 7/21/2006 10:08:28 PM   
Hertston

Punt. I'm less than impressed with the absence of a response from Matrix on this, to be honest.

What is the justification for the apparent universal £5 (net) price-hike on existing games for UK customers, please?

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 6
RE: UK Prices - 7/22/2006 12:24:31 AM   
Antmeister71

Well it is my guess that the reason for the price hike is because the UK can still return the game for a refund within a 30 day window. So it is my assumption, and yes it is just an assumption, that the reason for the hike is to offset some of those returns. The US and a number of other locals can't return the game for a refund.

Edit - It is actually a 14 day window. I had to check it out again to make sure.

< Message edited by Antmeister71 -- 7/22/2006 12:26:00 AM >

ALMARKS.COM Master Link Directory
http://www.almarks.com/masterlinks/

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: UK Prices - 7/22/2006 1:00:52 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antmeister71

Well it is my guess that the reason for the price hike is because the UK can still return the game for a refund within a 30 day window.

How on earth do you do that with a direct download?

(in reply to Antmeister71)
Post #: 8
RE: UK Prices - 7/22/2006 1:44:16 AM   
Antmeister71

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antmeister71

Well it is my guess that the reason for the price hike is because the UK can still return the game for a refund within a 30 day window.

How on earth do you do that with a direct download?

I don't know the true specifics, but I do know for the UK and England store fronts on this website, they are entitled to a 14 day refund policy. I am going to assume that this is meant for the boxed copies only. The reason why I think this may be the case is because Matrix had a no refund policy for all countries. However, Digital River changed the policy on them recently and I guess they decided to abide by it. Here is the thread in which it was brought up:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1090569

This, however, is just conjecture. There may be other reasons that I don't know anything about, but if you noticed that the rates went up recently, this is the only thing that crossed my mind as I read it.

ALMARKS.COM Master Link Directory
http://www.almarks.com/masterlinks/

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 9
RE: UK Prices - 7/22/2006 3:40:35 AM   
Jevhaddah

In the UK the Distance selling act allows yoo to return any item without giving any reason within 7 days of the actual delivery date, not the purchase date, for a full refund.

I had to follow this course of action when a piece of software I ordered turned out to be iffy. Did the same with a Hard Drive I bought which the company tried to refuse to take back.

We seem to have a lot more rights than most other countries in regards to returning items we purchased on line.

Maybe its just a way to claw back the postage for physical items. I must check up the Act to see how it gels with downloaded software.

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Antmeister71)
Post #: 10
RE: UK Prices - 7/22/2006 3:55:14 AM   
Erik Rutins

Er, I'm not sure how I managed to completely miss this thread up until now. I'll have to check on this on Monday. We do periodically update prices to match exchange rates, but this also strikes me as a very sudden increase, unless the initial price was incorrect. In short, I have no idea why the price changed, but I'll find out.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 11
RE: UK Prices - 7/22/2006 9:57:28 PM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Er, I'm not sure how I managed to completely miss this thread up until now. I'll have to check on this on Monday. We do periodically update prices to match exchange rates, but this also strikes me as a very sudden increase, unless the initial price was incorrect. In short, I have no idea why the price changed, but I'll find out.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks, Erik. Knew I could rely on you.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: UK Prices - 7/24/2006 8:38:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, I started looking into this and I'm not sure now what is being reported. If you guys are seeing something I'm not, please give me some more details. As far as I can tell, there has been no price hike and no price change since we released these games.

Taking Harpoon 3 ANW as an example, the digital download price is right where it was at release: 26.99 GBP. The additional Physical + Digital and Physical Only options are also correct at 32.99 GBP. The 32.99 GBP price did not replace the 26.99 GBP Digital Download price, it's in addition to it for the additional expense on the physical options.

COTA is 26.99 GBP as well and as far as my records go, that was the price it was at release for the Digital Download. The new physical options there are also 32.99 GBP as they have always been.

TOAW 3 is 21.99 GBP for Digital Download, as it was at release. The additional physical options are 26.99 GBP, as they have always been. This is less expensive than COTA or H3ANW because it's also $10 less expensive in US dollars as a release.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed at all. Before I go back to the DR folks and convince them that I've lost my marbles, can you guys explain what you are talking about exactly?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 13
RE: UK Prices - 7/24/2006 10:48:39 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Looks that way. Harpoon is now £32.99, and I paid £26.99 (plus VAT) for it. Likewise CotA. And TOAW is £26.99 rather than £21.99. Glad I bought when I did.

A fiver is quite a hike. Any explanation, Matrix bods? The increase seems excessive, but if it is necessary why not just put it on future titles?

Based on Erik's comments I would say you bought it when there was only the digital version avaiable and are now confusing the first default purchasing option (physical product) as price increase, since the difference between physical and digital product is exactly the "price increase" you state

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 14
RE: UK Prices - 7/24/2006 11:29:15 PM   
Hertston

At the risk of looking a complete idiot I would swear that when I looked at the prices having seen Mike's comment they reflected the increase I have suggested, and that I didn't confuse the DD and physical prices. That said, having looked today... you are quite correct, Marc.

I must therefore conclude that I am either going mad, that there is a conspiracy to drive me mad, or that I didn't look carefully enough. As the third explanation seems marginally the more likely, I must apologise for any inconvenience caused and time wasted. Sorry, guys.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 15
RE: UK Prices - 7/24/2006 11:36:31 PM   
Marc von Martial

no worries 

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 16
RE: UK Prices - 7/25/2006 8:09:48 PM   
MikeBrough

quote:

At the risk of looking a complete idiot I would swear that when I looked at the prices having seen Mike's comment they reflected the increase I have suggested, and that I didn't confuse the DD and physical prices. That said, having looked today... you are quite correct, Marc.

I must therefore conclude that I am either going mad, that there is a conspiracy to drive me mad, or that I didn't look carefully enough. As the third explanation seems marginally the more likely, I must apologise for any inconvenience caused and time wasted. Sorry, guys.

I don't think you're going mad. When I reported the 'problem', the prices were definitely higher. Unless we both get our glasses from the same optician!

Perhaps a site hiccup?

Still, £39.99 for WITP vs. $69.99 still makes the game 5% more expensive in the UK.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 17
RE: UK Prices - 7/25/2006 10:15:37 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeBrough

I don't think you're going mad. When I reported the 'problem', the prices were definitely higher. Unless we both get our glasses from the same optician!

Perhaps a site hiccup?

I wish I had taken a bloody screenshot now!

That said, as long as things are back as they were - if indeed they ever changed - all's well that ends well, I guess.

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 18
RE: UK Prices - 7/26/2006 7:13:41 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

We seem to have a lot more rights than most other countries in regards to returning items we purchased on line.
Jev

In USA, if buy with a Credit Card anything, even online, you can if seller doesn't make good refuse the charge and order a charge back on the seller.

So Us in the "colonies" have quite a bit of rights ourselves.

Don't forget also we have 50 states, each with their own consumer protection laws too

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 19
RE: UK Prices - 7/26/2006 2:44:51 PM   
Jevhaddah

Heheh Aye, 

I see Dell have been called to task for attempting to breach UK distance selling rights.  Mostly in regards to warranties and there 90 days warrantly return policy.  We get a years manufacturing warranty an all new purchases and at no time are 'all sales final' 

Mind yoo HM GoV just tried to charge a friend of mine VAT and import duty on a CPU he won in a competition.

He is still fighting it but it beggars belief that the 'MAN' can make money out something that was given freely and at no cost for the compettion.

As a Tightfisted Scot it makes wanna don me kilt, drop me drawers and go waving my claymore in the VAT mans face

Cheers
Jev

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 20
RE: UK Prices - 7/26/2006 5:34:59 PM   
JudgeDredd

CLAYMORE!!!

Whatever!

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 7/26/2006 5:35:37 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 21
RE: UK Prices - 7/26/2006 7:49:01 PM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

As a Tightfisted Scot it makes wanna don me kilt, drop me drawers and go waving my claymore in the VAT mans face

Cheers
Jev

A kilt and DRAWERS. Yer a sassenach in disguise, mon.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 22
RE: UK Prices - 7/26/2006 8:00:26 PM   
Jevhaddah

I am just bashfull 

Cheers

Jev

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> UK Prices Page: [1]