Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When? - 6/1/2006 10:29:28 PM   
Anendrue

Wharever you do, please do not rush the game. What would the Sistine Chapel be if it was rushed? WiF is a work of Art and MWiF is absolutely a materpiece. Using Michangelos words to the Pope... It will be done when it is done.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 121
RE: When? - 6/2/2006 1:57:32 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

Wharever you do, please do not rush the game. What would the Sistine Chapel be if it was rushed? WiF is a work of Art and MWiF is absolutely a materpiece. Using Michangelos words to the Pope... It will be done when it is done.

How did you know that I worked on this game lying on my back up on a scaffold dozens of meters in the air? I have the keyboard velcroed to the ceiling, but I keep dropping the mouse whenever I let go of it; "Honey, could you hand that back up to me?".

My personal standard for what level of quality is acceptable is quite high. My wife would like to see some cash as a result of all this time and effort. Then there is the contract with Matrix Games for what will be included in MWIF product 1. In combination those three keep me hard at work, with occasional moments of panic about not enough being accomplished (in a day, in a week, in a month). In my own bizzarre way I'm happy though.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 122
RE: When? - 6/2/2006 1:49:13 PM   
YohanTM2

Try sitting up and avoid the pasta and wine at lunch, you'll get more done <eg>

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 123
RE: When? - 6/2/2006 5:28:18 PM   
amwild

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
However, graphics work that remains to be done includes:

- cover, CD, and box art (et al)

Does this mean that the decision has been made to sell the game as a boxed CD? That it might only be available as a download is one of my greatest concerns about this game.

Post #: 124
RE: When? - 6/2/2006 6:55:38 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: amwild
quote:

However, graphics work that remains to be done includes:

- cover, CD, and box art (et al)

Does this mean that the decision has been made to sell the game as a boxed CD? That it might only be available as a download is one of my greatest concerns about this game.

Not my call. David Heath will make that decision.

I am a little vague on the artwork needs beyond what the program code will present on the screen. Mostly that is due to a lack of interest on my part. Perhaps I'm naive but I expect those decisions to be made correctly - to maximize sales. If the art doesn't impact on playing the game, then I do not have any special ability to pass judgment on whether it is good or bad, too sparse or too voluminous.

However, the graphics integral to the player's manual will be generated and critqued by me. And probably you (whoever is reading this) too. They fall into the category of being important to playing/learning the game.

Steve

(in reply to amwild)
Post #: 125
RE: When? - 6/3/2006 10:49:36 PM   
Jeff Gilbert

I continue to red most of the posts in this forum and am continually amazed that I will see an MWiF within the next year.
To me, personally, this one will be well worth the wait.

As far as box art ... I'm already sold but then again, attracting new players is probably the real target and Matrix always seems to do a good job there.

Post #: 126
RE: When? - 6/4/2006 12:35:07 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Gilbert

I continue to red most of the posts in this forum and am continually amazed that I will see an MWiF within the next year.

As far as box art ... I'm already sold but then again, attracting new players is probably the real target and Matrix always seems to do a good job there.

Will all of us who purchase MWIF be able to play MWIF without owning the WIFFE with all the additions (xxx in Flames)? I'm thinking about
whether the user manual for MWIF will include all the WIFFE rules or not.

I bought WIFFE with some additions when it arrived and have the rules, but I also remembered that the rules continuously changed during those
times so we had to print erratas upon erratas to have the updated rules. Are the WIFFE rules so stabilized now that it's possible to produce a MWIF
user manual who won't need further rule updates?

I think it's vital MWIF is a stand-alone product which won't require the players to also own the WIFFE board game with different additions. One reason
is the economical aspect. Another reason is that it's not easy to find WIFFE modules the shops in every country. 8 years ago they sold a lot of WIFFE
games in our board games shop in Oslo, Norway, but I haven't seen WIFFE there in the shelves for several years now. So maybe the recruitment
of new players are rather poor. I know it's probably possible to order the games directly from ADG.

I really look forward to MWIF and receive a new updated rule book which includes all I need to play MWIF. I don't look forward to go to the cellar
to try look for all my WIFFE modules and grab their rule books and then go to the internet to search for even the latest updates.

(in reply to Jeff Gilbert)
Post #: 127
RE: When? - 6/4/2006 12:44:58 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Borger Borgersen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Gilbert

Will all of us who purchase MWIF be able to play MWIF without owning the WIFFE with all the additions (xxx in Flames)? I'm thinking about
whether the user manual for MWIF will include all the WIFFE rules or not.

I bought WIFFE with some additions when it arrived and have the rules, but I also remembered that the rules continuously changed during those
times so we had to print erratas upon erratas to have the updated rules. Are the WIFFE rules so stabilized now that it's possible to produce a MWIF
user manual who won't need further rule updates?

I think it's vital MWIF is a stand-alone product which won't require the players to also own the WIFFE board game with different additions. One reason
is the economical aspect. Another reason is that it's not easy to find WIFFE modules the shops in every country. 8 years ago they sold a lot of WIFFE
games in our board games shop in Oslo, Norway, but I haven't seen WIFFE there in the shelves for several years now. So maybe the recruitment
of new players are rather poor. I know it's probably possible to order the games directly from ADG.

I really look forward to MWIF and receive a new updated rule book which includes all I need to play MWIF. I don't look forward to go to the cellar
to try look for all my WIFFE modules and grab their rule books and then go to the internet to search for even the latest updates.

Have no fear. I agree with all that you said. There exists a Rules as Written (RAW) document for the most recent version of the WIF FE rules (there is a thread about how to find them stuck to the top of the forum).

But I am going you one better. I have a light start on RAC (Rules as Coded) which takes RAW and modifies it to match the way MWIF is coded. For example, the unified world map versus off-map boxes. I am also looking to remove all references to units "flipping" or being "flipped". when the game is released it will include a full RAC document.

Steve

(in reply to Peter Stauffenberg)
Post #: 128
RE: When? - 6/4/2006 1:20:28 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

Have no fear. I agree with all that you said. There exists a Rules as Written (RAW) document for the most recent version of the WIF FE rules (there is a thread about how to find them stuck to the top of the forum).

But I am going you one better. I have a light start on RAC (Rules as Coded) which takes RAW and modifies it to match the way MWIF is coded. For example, the unified world map versus off-map boxes. I am also looking to remove all references to units "flipping" or being "flipped". when the game is released it will include a full RAC document.

That is really great news. I can't wait to get the MWIF RAC user manual in my hands and start playing WIF again. Thank you for you wonderful work with
MWIF. Do you have any idea of how much MWIF will cost when it's released?

Post #: 129
RE: When? - 6/13/2006 6:56:49 PM   
Jeff Gilbert

Only 17 more days until the next "Steve" update on the progress of MWiF.

Of course, I'm already Jones'n and will probably have to re-read all the prior posts just to get my fix!

Post #: 130
RE: When? - 6/13/2006 8:26:37 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Borger Borgersen

quote:

That is really great news. I can't wait to get the MWIF RAC user manual in my hands and start playing WIF again. Thank you for you wonderful work with
MWIF. Do you have any idea of how much MWIF will cost when it's released?

Sorry, for the delay in replying to this query. The new, improved, interface for the forum messes things up for me from time to time.

I have an idea how much it will cost but that decision will be made by Matrix and probably not until a month or two before it is available for purchase. As to my guess on the price, I will not say in writing, lest it be taken as gospel.

PS. I would really like to know myself, since I will be paid based on a percentage of sales revenue.

Steve

Post #: 131
RE: When? - 6/30/2006 9:23:32 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

July 1, 2006 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of June

Project Management
December 2006 as a release date is still my best estimate - unchanged from last month.

Communications
Rob Armstrong finished all the high and medium resolution bitmaps for the air and naval units. There are over 2500 bitmaps total for the units. For the low resolution unit depictions, no bit maps are necessary.

I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily. Members of the forum are helpful, supportive, and, on occasion, funny. My wife liked the fact that the proposed add-on of Nurses in Flames was immediately abbreviated to NiF.

Erik Rutkins increased the size limit for me to upload screen shots to the MWIF forum. This was greatly appreciated and immediately made use of in posting screen shots of the newly designed map views and screen layouts lists.

Beta testers continue working but are complaining about having to set up all the units for a scenario (e.g., Global War) over and over again. I fixed some of the really nasty bugs and will try to mitigate their distress in the future.

Dan Hatchen and I made very little progress on NetPlay this month. Partially this is my fault because I had to travel to New Jersey for a funeral and completely lost 5 days in the middle of the month.

Claes Insulander did not complete the data modifications for the Scandinavian map before leaving for Sweden for the summer, but got most of it done, and I will finish it up when I do the China map mods.

Patrice just sent me his final recommendations for changes to the China map. It is the culmination of several hundred posts/suggestions from forum members. More on this below. He has now started a discussion on fixing the Caucasus portion of the map.

Terje and Fred Zimmerman have written descriptions for most of the naval units. Terje sent me a 140 of them and they look great but will need some revision. Greyshaft suggested, and I agreed, that adding some numbers about the naval units would be beneficial. That is not to say we want each description to be a recitation of weight, speed, displacement, and so on. But including a few of the more important numbers related to fighting ability seems appropriate.

Ian Wilson and Richard Dazeley have started contributing to the discussion of how to design the AI opponent. Richard is quite knowledgeable about MCRDR for those of you who are interested in the technical aspects of this. Our immediate focus is on the language that will be created/used for writing the rules for the AIO.

Mziln is culling the optional rules from RAW and assembling them into packets that correspond to the 81 optional rules in MWIF. He has completed over half of them. Peter Kanjorski has offered to edit the packets into something a little friendlier to read than the prose RAW typically uses. The main problem is that RAW assumes extensive knowledge about the WIF when discussing the optional rules. I want to have text writeups for the optional rules that the players can read when starting a new game. Unless I miss my guess, that means that the writeups on the optional rules will frequently be read by newcomers to WIF.

Peter completed editing the 57 HQ writeups that Greyshaft did and once the two of them have reached joint agreement on the text, I will replace the old writeups with the new ones.

No communication with Chris Marinacci over the past month.

Beta Testing
I uploaded versions 1.03 and 2.00 in June. Version 1.03 just fixed a few things and added a bunch of unit bitmaps, but version 2.00 made massive changes, which is why I changed the first digit in the version number. The big change in version 2.00 is that I added the ability to save screen layouts and map views. This lets the player tailor how the screen looks not only to suit his own preferences, but also in multiple ways to handle different phases of the game. Some phases warrant having different forms displayed. In playing around with the combination of screen layouts and map views, I can see them having tremendous benefit for game play. By creating different sets of map views for each major power, a player can instantly focus the map on the areas of concern for that major power. France looks at the Maginot line, the Italian border, the Med, its holdings in North Africa, and the Middle East. Germany looks at the Maginot line, Scandinavia, the North Sea, Poland, the Baltic, and the Balkans. You simply click on each map view to have your troops pass in review for each theater of operations.

I now have the program save the screen layout for each major power when it relinquishes control. This enables the program to restore the screen layout last used by a major power when it regains controls. So as you cycle through the USA, CW, France, USSR, and China, moving units for each of those major powers, the screen layout refreshes automatically. No need to reposition the map views. Of course this also occurs when switching between sides.

Version 2.00 contains a completely revised subdirectory structure, primarily modified for saving game files. There are now very few directories at the highest level and the files the player generates when playing are all stored within a scenario subdirectory. For example, there is a Barbarossa subdirectory. Each of the other 10 scenarios has its own subdirectory too.

And finally, version 2.00 has all the high resolution unit bitmaps. Loading them all causes Win 98 to crash and burn. I expect to encounter a similar problem with XP once I get all the coastal bitmaps installed. The solution will be to page the bitmaps in and out of memory on an as needed basis. For those of you familiar with this class of software problem, I expect to create my own system for prioritizing what to swap out when. Coastal bitmaps for northern Siberia and South America shouldn’t be needed very often, and bitmaps for optional unit types (e.g. light cruisers) can also be omitted if the corresponding optional rules are not being used. I estimate that XP can support all the unit bitmaps plus about 60 to 80% of the coastal bitmaps in memory simultaneously. The exact numbers are hard to come by, since I haven’t been able to find Windows documentation on its limitations/capacity for storing bitmaps in main memory.

Map and Units
Patrice sent me his final China map revisions. He also provided me with an annotated copy of what Claes had done on the Scandinavia map, marking where additional changes still need to be made. Now that I have both of these I’ll start making the necessary changes - it is similar work on the same set of data files. At the end of this process I will have two sets of additional Chinese cities: some and many. We will play test the not-so-many first and see how that works out. If need be, I could make the two sets available to the players in the final product, letting them choose as part of selecting optional rules. Right now the choice for adding extra cities to China is binary, so all I am talking about here is making it trinary (none, some, or many).

The European portion of the map is finished except for the Qattara Depression. Rob has sent those bitmaps to me, and I expect to add them in when I do the revisions for the Scandinavia and China maps.

Rob sent me another pass at the fortifications and they should be finished after one more small change. I am looking at having the color for the fortifications indicate who currently owns them - the Maginot line would be pale blue and the Siegfried line gray. He also sent me overlays for the weather effects and I incorporated them into the main program. While they are close to what I wanted, the differences between rain and storm are too subtle. I have asked Rob to revise them to make it really obvious to the player whether what he is seeing is rain or storm, snow or blizzard. Since these are overlays for the terrain bitmaps, they need to effectively communicate that information against all the different terrain types.

I started coding the medium resolution unit depictions (air and naval units are done - only land units remain) and started thinking about the low resolution versions. In order to make the numbers readable at zoom level 2 (zoom level 1 is hopeless), I will have to use larger fonts and lose all the other information from the counter image. For medium resolution, which I expect the player to invoke primarily for zoom levels 3 and 4, I have been able to retain a black and white silhouette image of the unit type. They are not as pretty as I would like, and I am investigating replacing the silhouettes with 2 - 4 characters as CWIF used (e.g., BB, CV, FTR, etc.).

I also started trying to figure out how to make the naval subsystem more playable. It really has to be played at zoom level 1 (or at most 2) in order to see multiple sea areas on the map at once. What I have in mind is displaying the units at a larger size within the sea areas. For example, though the map would be a zoom level 1, the units would be zoom level 4. The sea areas are quite large and it shouldn’t be a problem to make the units fit within their respective sea areas even with the disparity in zoom levels. How to display naval units that are in port is still an unanswered question, and so is how to display land based air units that can fly into sea areas.

I have a comparable system planned for the land units, but in reverse. Here I will use hexes at zoom level 8 (big hexes) and units at zoom level 4. This will let me place four units within a hex and have them all be completely visible - no occlusion. I will also enable that arrangement for the map at zoom level 6 and the units at zoom level 3. This lets the player see all the land units on a front even though they are stacked 4 in a hex. Maximum stacking for land units in a hex is 3, so the 4th visible unit can be an air unit.

Internet - NetPlay
I removed about 2/3rds of the references to DirectPlay in anticipation of replacing them with Dan Hatchen’s NetPlay code. What happened here is I consolidated numerous stray references into a single reference to a universal routine. Dan and I made a couple of passes at putting his code into MWIF. I have some of it installed, but nothing really substantial. Losing 5 days (1/6 of the month) really took its toll here.

Game Interface
I designed and coded the saved map views and screen layouts. They are now in beta test. Screen layouts record 22 forms in a disk file. For each form there is its location on the screen, its size (when variable), whether it is visible, and other odd pieces for some of the more elaborate forms. The player has a list of the screen layouts available and can switch between them depending on where he is on the sequence of play. For example, movement and combat for land, naval, and air units will typically call for different screen layouts.

Map views are just that: a view of the detailed map that defines the center hex, zoom level, and the settings for all the map display toggle switches (e.g., hex control, weather, units, named locations, rail lines). By clicking on a map view from the map views list, the detailed map is redefined according to the saved map view. This eliminates a lot of the need to navigate from one area of the map to another via scrolling and/or the global map.

Rob and I have started discussing the color scheme/theme for the player interface. This includes the design of the ‘skin’ for the Windows components. Because this discussion is very preliminary so far, I will only provide one tidbit: we expect to use a different color scheme for each major power.

CWIF Conversion
I created a separate variables file for the player interface and the bitmaps. In the former I have all the variables that relate to the detailed maps, map views, and screen layouts that the player can manipulate during game play. The bitmap variables files contains the plethora of bitmap variables the program uses to display the map and units on the screen - I now have them all in one place - I know where they live! Which reminds me of the contractor I had do work for me when I lived in Philadelphia. I asked him if paying by check was all right and he told me it would be fine because he was from South Philly (heavy Mafia presence) and he knew where I lived.

I redid how games are automatically saved. CWIF had a very nice design for doing this but the code did not have any comments and was confusing to read. Now that I have pulled it all apart and added inline documentation, it is quite sweet. At the end of each phase the game is automatically saved with the name of the phase embedded into the file name. There are dozens of phases within a single impulse and the Axis and Allied copies are kept separate. What this means is that a player can go back in time rather effortlessly, assuming he doesn’t want to go back too far. To go back more than 2 impulses, he will have to have proactively requested the game to be saved.

MWIF Game Engine
While traveling I worried at this problem. Upon my return I took a half of a day to rework my diagram for how I see all the elements of MWIF interacting. I still want to polish this somewhat, writing text to go with each of the boxes - defining what I mean by Message Control, Simulation Control, and Game Control, for instance. Most of this is clear in my head now but some fog still lingers around the program structure for Sequence of Play, Rules Enforcement, and Decision Control. I want separate Pascal units for each of these and I am about halfway towards achieving that goal.

I finished all the field definitions for the game record log. Using them, I can start writing entries out to the Game Record Log as the game is played. Some of them should be easy to do, and once I get my feet wet doing those, I’ll advance into the more complex portions of the game.

Saved Games
I fixed all known problems with saving and restoring games; but I still have a nervous twitch every time restoring a game takes a nanosecond longer than I expect.

Player’s Manual
I made a first pass on the table of contents for the Player’s Manual. It is going to be big. Marc Schwanebeck from Matrix Games sent me the specifications they use for printing Player’s Manuals but I think I will reaffirm those details for MWIF, since it is going to be such a big manual. For example, I expect the revised version of Rules as Written (Rules as Coded - RAC) will only be half of the manual. And RAW is 60 double column, small font pages, not counting the player’s notes - which I also expect to copy over verbatim into the MWIF Player’s Manual. The other items for the Player’s Manual cover the player interface (i.e., how to play WIF using the computer) and the particulars of the different modes of play (e.g., over the Internet and by email).

Scenario Information
Nothing new here.

Help System, Tutorials, and AI Assistant
Nothing new here.

Artificial Intelligence (AI)

I edited my master document with the changes I had pencilled in over the past 6 months. I then sent it off to Ian and Richard. While I was traveling (30+ hours on planes and in airports), I gave some more thought to the knowledge base structure for the AI Opponent which I have written up and passed along to Ian and Richard for comments and suggestions. I am pretty close to a final design for the language for the AIO and expect to complete that by mid0July.

Other
I ordered the upgrade to Delphi 2006 which should arrive July 3rd. Since I put in the new computer, I have been getting inexplicable program failures from the Delphi compiler and its graphics user interface. Hopefully, the latest and greatest version of the software will fix these glitches (yeah, I know, my naivete is cute).

====================================================================
June summary: High resolution counters done for all the units and the medium resolution counters 3/4 done. Not enough progress on the Internet code. And more should have been accomplished on the redesign of the game engine. However, the player interface saw substantial advancement, the Player’s Manual started its journey to completion, and even the AIO received attention after a long period of neglect.
====================================================================

Tasks for July

Communications
Continue monitoring the forum threads.

Beta Testing
Fix more bugs, both old ones and the new ones caused by the addition of the code for dynamic screen layouts.

Map and Units
Finish the medium and low resolution counters for all units. Modify the data files for the revised Scandinavia and China maps.

CWIF Conversion
Thoroughly test the new random number generator (this task is still collecting dust at the bottom of the pile of things to do). Start cutting over from CWIF’s messaging system to the game record log system.

Game Interface
Finalize the theme and color scheme for the player interface including the definition of the skins. Add the bidding capability to the Start of Game Form so the beta testers can play one-on-one over the Internet.

Redesign of MWIF Game Engine
Start work on implementing the new MWIF Game Engine.

Software Development Tools
Install the Delphi 2006 upgrade.

Multiplayer Internet
Incorporate the Indy10 code for the new design for the multiplayer system into MWIF. This requires replacing the CWIF calls to DirectPlay.

AI Opponent
Finish defining the relationship between the air, naval, and land unit values. Continue working on defining the value of individual hexes and a line of hexes (i.e., a front line).

Player’s Manual
Finish the table of contents and transfer all the various write ups I have done for different portions of MWIF into the Player’s Manual (e.g., PBEM design).

Historical Detail, Animations, and Sound
Start listing all the places the program will use historical video footage, sound, and music. Begin fleshing out the content for the first half dozen tutorials.

Help System, Tutorials, and AI Assistant
Set up forms dedicated to viewing the sequence of play, so they can be used later as an index/table of contents into the context sensitive help files.

Other
40 minute walk and an apple every day.

================================================================
July summary: Make the system for playing over the Internet work. Put in the map changes. Finish the units. Finalize the player interface design and start applying it to the dozens of existing forms.
================================================================

Steve

Post #: 132
RE: When? - 7/1/2006 7:18:50 AM   
YohanTM2

Bit of a slow month for you...

Post #: 133
RE: When? - 7/1/2006 7:20:23 AM   
YohanTM2

Also, a bit disappointed it how late in July it took this to get posted...

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 134
RE: When? - 7/1/2006 7:23:17 AM   
YohanTM2

Terje and Fred Zimmerman have written descriptions for most of the naval units. Terje sent me a 140 of them and they look great but will need some revision. Greyshaft suggested, and I agreed, that adding some numbers about the naval units would be beneficial. That is not to say we want each description to be a recitation of weight, speed, displacement, and so on. But including a few of the more important numbers related to fighting ability seems appropriate.

For ships this detail is a must if you deicde to do it!

No communication with Chris Marinacci over the past month.

Rumour has it he is busy on the computer version of 7 Ages.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 135
RE: When? - 7/1/2006 5:14:04 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

That's right, and playtest even have started.
If you're interested, please mail him. This seems like this is a greatly done adaptation of 7 Ages.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 136
RE: When? - 7/2/2006 3:50:28 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

If you're interested, please mail him. This seems like this is a greatly done adaptation of 7 Ages.

Let's hope he commented the code.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 137
RE: When? - 7/4/2006 5:12:08 AM   
YohanTM2

LOL,

Steve, (and not a shot at Chris) are you ready to finish 7 Ages after Wif?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Let's hope he commented the code.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 138
RE: When? - 7/4/2006 5:46:48 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Matrix seems to think there might be some interest in MWIF products 2 and 3 to include other WIF add-ons.

If I should still be interested.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 7/4/2006 5:47:32 AM >

Steve

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 139
RE: When? - 7/4/2006 1:20:37 PM   
terje439

quote:

For ships this detail is a must if you deicde to do it!

Have no fear :) The numbers will be/are being written.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 140
RE: When? - 7/5/2006 9:56:43 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

Matrix seems to think there might be some interest in MWIF products 2 and 3 to include other WIF add-ons.

Steve please,

I can't seem to control the drooling on my keyboard; however Matrix Days of Decision 3 (MDoD3) add on would be highly acclaimed by the community here. Should we start the begging now or just begin the worship services?

Post #: 141
RE: When? - 7/5/2006 10:50:58 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Steve please,

I can't seem to control the drooling on my keyboard; however Matrix Days of Decision 3 (MDoD3) add on would be highly acclaimed by the community here. Should we start the begging now or just begin the worship services?

Currently I am dealing with numerous alligators in my quest to drain the swamp. My intent is to eventually plant some crops that I can sell. Crop rotation is a ways off yet.

On a similar theme, above my computer I have a (painted) picture I purchased almost 20 years ago that shows a major hurricane sweeping into a shore line of palm trees. All the tree trunks and branches are bowed over into a C shape and the plumes of ocean water spray are 30 feet in the air where it hits the rocks. I bought this picture to remind me that the world continually applies great force towards creating chaos. As a programmer, I keep battling to impose some order against that ever present tide.

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 142
RE: When? - 7/5/2006 11:00:44 PM   
Anendrue

Hmmm, maybe you could design your own mini game with the title "It Came From Above" something like BoxeyBoy but instead of boxes the little guy could push computers around dodging torrents of water from the idiot above with his evil powersaw.

Post #: 143
RE: When? - 7/6/2006 12:37:38 AM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

quote:

On a similar theme, above my computer I have a (painted) picture I purchased almost 20 years ago that shows a major hurricane sweeping into a shore line of palm trees. All the tree trunks and branches are bowed over into a C shape and the plumes of ocean water spray are 30 feet in the air where it hits the rocks. I bought this picture to remind me that the world continually applies great force towards creating chaos. As a programmer, I keep battling to impose some order against that ever present tide.

Yes, well, the Samurai Programmer Law of Thermodynamics states that every time some data is sorted a series of random numbers must be generated to balance Entropy.

Maybe if we play more games (using random number generators), nature will ease up on the storms and such!

Keep up the good work and know that there are those of us looking forward to more products if you can see your way to producing them!

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

Post #: 144
RE: When? - 7/6/2006 2:16:09 AM   
wworld7

quote:

Hmmm, maybe you could design your own mini game with the title "It Came From Above" something like BoxeyBoy but instead of boxes the little guy could push computers around dodging torrents of water from the idiot above with his evil powersaw.

It is no game, it is called "The Chinese Water Torture" and it is very effective...

Flipper

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 145
RE: When? - 7/6/2006 7:41:50 AM   
composer99

quote:

Shannon V. OKeets said:

Player’s Manual
I made a first pass on the table of contents for the Player’s Manual. It is going to be big. Marc Schwanebeck from Matrix Games sent me the specifications they use for printing Player’s Manuals but I think I will reaffirm those details for MWIF, since it is going to be such a big manual. For example, I expect the revised version of Rules as Written (Rules as Coded - RAC) will only be half of the manual. And RAW is 60 double column, small font pages, not counting the player’s notes - which I also expect to copy over verbatim into the MWIF Player’s Manual. The other items for the Player’s Manual cover the player interface (i.e., how to play WIF using the computer) and the particulars of the different modes of play (e.g., over the Internet and by email).

You will probably want to find someone who will be willing to update the player's notes, as they are getting rather long in the tooth in some cases (there are one or two references to rules that no longer exist in the current RAW, and there is at least one syntax error that I'm surprised hasn't been eliminated).

~ Composer99

Post #: 146
RE: When? - 7/6/2006 11:45:20 AM   
Neilster

quote:

My intent is to eventually plant some crops that I can sell.

I've got some seeds that might come in handy. You could have a few problems with customs though.

I'm sure, given your Hawaiian location, that you'll be able to source some local...er...genetics.

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 147
RE: When? - 7/21/2006 3:28:09 AM   
KAGE

quote:

DoD forsure!

Post #: 148
RE: When? - 7/23/2006 2:01:54 PM   
Manic Inertia

My radar is going haywire after reading the earlier mention of a CD release, rather than limiting MWiF to the status of an online download. I am totally ignorant of how these things work/are costed/distributed etc, but it seems common sense to produce the game on CD/DVD whatever ..

Wouldn't that mean that the game could be sold in retail outlets, as opposed to being some relatively obscure acquisition that would, essentially, depend on 'word-of-mouth' to develop sales? I'm a psychiatric nurse without the benefit of a degree in marketing or even sales experience, but I defy anyone to tell me I'm not making sense. For the sake of this wonderful project, I think everyone who counts should exert maximum pressure on whoever makes the decisions at Matrix Games to put MWiF into the shops, or at the very least into jewel cases.

(in reply to KAGE)
Post #: 149
RE: When? - 7/23/2006 9:30:21 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manic Inertia
My radar is going haywire after reading the earlier mention of a CD release, rather than limiting MWiF to the status of an online download. I am totally ignorant of how these things work/are costed/distributed etc, but it seems common sense to produce the game on CD/DVD whatever ..

Wouldn't that mean that the game could be sold in retail outlets, as opposed to being some relatively obscure acquisition that would, essentially, depend on 'word-of-mouth' to develop sales? I'm a psychiatric nurse without the benefit of a degree in marketing or even sales experience, but I defy anyone to tell me I'm not making sense. For the sake of this wonderful project, I think everyone who counts should exert maximum pressure on whoever makes the decisions at Matrix Games to put MWiF into the shops, or at the very least into jewel cases.

Marketing is not my forte, which I have proven to my pain and frustration too many times in my life already.

However, I do know that marketing typically requires a multi-media marketing plan for reaching potential buyers. Now most of those media have a direct cost (per ad) and they all require time and effort on the part of the manufacturer/seller, even the 'free' publicity of articles about new relases in gaming magazines. Someone has to put together material for the reviewer and take time to talk with them, etc.. Attending trade shows (e.g., Origins) costs money too. Ideally, the whole packaging, advertising, and promotion of a new product is coordinated, and in particular timed, to maximize sales while minimizing associated expenses. You see this all the time with authors and actors on the talk shows promoting their new books/films and the movie industry has a non-so-minor subindustry devoted to releasing their products.

Knowing my own limitations, and the complexity of this optimization problem, I'll leave it in the hands of Matrix management to decide. As for me, "a man's gotta know his limitations."

Steve

(in reply to Manic Inertia)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI