Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) - 7/21/2006 1:29:42 AM   
CobraAus

RHS CVO BBO RAO RPO v4.07 posted + micro update EOS 4.071 posted on download link page

Cobra Aus

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 391
RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) - 7/21/2006 1:02:34 PM   
CobraAus

RHS 4.072 all scenarios posted on download link page

Cobra Aus

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 392
RE: The Main RHS thread at this time (renamed) - 7/22/2006 1:29:41 PM   
Nemo121

EOS Scenario 65 findings:

1. Ki-74 has a load of 2205 but no listing for actual bomb loadouts. From what I've read it looks like it should probably have arried 4 x 250Kg bombs.

2. Upgrade path from the Tabby, Tina and Thoras includethe C54A. While I'm sure that'd be quite handy it'd probably be better to change this to the G5N ( which would make more sense).

3. I also had no explicatory text in the scenario briefing etc. Such an explanation would be very useful.

More to come as I check out the scenario more.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 7/22/2006 1:33:16 PM >

(in reply to Herrbear)
Post #: 393
RE: The Main RHS thread at this time (renamed) - 7/22/2006 2:01:06 PM   
CobraAus

RHS PWHEX v4.07 posted on download link page

Cobra Aus

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 394
RE: RHS 4.08 (eratta update) - 7/23/2006 12:15:20 AM   
el cid again

There is enough eratta to warrant a minor update. Nothing totally game killing, but a new game should not have these issues:

VBF-74 (for USS Midway) is on land at game start at San Diego (I send it to Salt Lake City/United States and keep it there). It should be assigned to USS Midway - of course.

Persuit Squadron 49 should start with P-43s instead of P-38Gs - and should upgrade to the P-38s.

Locations in Canada should not be assigned to the Canada Command (a code issue). All but one are listed as US Western Command. Whitehorse is listed as Alaska Command.

Some USAAF base forces have the wrong 37 mm gun. Most will automatically correct this in a day or two. But some have no formation pointer - so they won't correct. All should have pointers and all should use the US (not the Russian) 37mm gun. It has no functional effect - it is just cosmetics - the guns are identical in performance.

Some units begin with zero (or otherwise radically too few) supplies. This is rarely correct. Some of these have been corrected - notably the Yobi Ichi regiments and certain base forces.

Long Beach gains a Naval Base Force.
Tacoma gains a USAAF Base Force (named McChord).

All this is version 4.08

Post #: 395
RE: RHS 4.08 (eratta update) - 7/23/2006 1:12:32 AM   
witpqs

More errata (present in EOS v4.072):

- Pontianak base force begins the game in the ocean (without a ship) in hex 24,57 (next to Pontianak). [Note: In the Pwhex just released there is also a road/trail in this ocean hex.]

- Soviets are not active (IIRC they are supposed to be active in EOS, otherwise ignore this entry).

- KGV class battleships again point to the wrong art (was fixed a few releases ago in CVO).

- RAF 114 Base Force starts the game in hex 2,2 - 'in the field' next to Aden. I assume it should begin in Aden.

- Slots 1487 (RAAF Number 13/2 Flight) and 1476 (RAAF Number 2/2 Flight) report to 'USSR Pacific O Fleet'.

Also a question - are 'Field Hands' supposed to perform engineer functions?

Post #: 396
RE: RHS 4.08 (eratta update) - 7/23/2006 4:22:51 AM   
CobraAus

RHS v4.08 posted on download link page

Cobra Aus

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 397
RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) - 7/24/2006 12:44:30 AM   
CobraAus

RHS CAM0xx data files posted on download link page

Cobra Aus

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 398
RE: RHS 4.1 [For anyone wanting USN/USMC air groups right] - 7/24/2006 3:30:33 AM   
el cid again

Trying to actually play the Allies caused me to notice USN/USMC air groups at the start. Something wrong here I thought. Wow. Very wrong.

It will take a day or two - but I am going to review them all.

My worst case may be VMF-211. This unit sent a detachment to Wake, and we all know about it - because it is in countless accounts of how the war began. Well - it came from Ewa Field - Hawaii. So why do ALL WITP scenrios place it in California????? And - if it has a detachment - why is its strength not affected by that? There is a similar Japanese unit - sent 12 planes to Truk just in time for the war (all 12 start as disabled because they are still CRATED when the game begins). What Joe and I did was come up with a rule: no duplication. Detachment planes subtract from the parent unit maximum total field.

There are other apparently fictional USMC units. And I found one missing unit too - so there will now be a VMF-115. VMF-212 began life with just three observation planes (and specialized in fighter pilot rescue). It became famous when it upgraded to use the F4U-1 - but only had ten of them - not the 24 shown. [RHS F4U-1s are NOT carrier planes. They upgrade to F4U-2s which are carrier planes.]

I have not yet got to the USN carrier groups - but if memory is not faulty - they are well below strength when the war begins.

Post #: 399
RE: RHS 4.1 [For anyone wanting USN/USMC air groups right] - 7/24/2006 11:39:46 PM   
Bliztk

Hi, I have been looking at the RHS scenarios and I have found some oddities.

First, there are several models (like 50 B29) avaliable at start

Second, the PP for some units are totally wrong. For example the US BF at United States Base (SLC) is prepping for a city on Siberia, Kuching BF is prepping for Yenen, and units in China are generally prepping for wrong places

Post #: 400
RE: RHS 4.1 [For anyone wanting USN/USMC air groups right] - 7/25/2006 12:20:12 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bliztk

Hi, I have been looking at the RHS scenarios and I have found some oddities.

First, there are several models (like 50 B29) avaliable at start

Yes - In RHS the "pool" is either the total number of planes - or the difference between production per month and real production. In this case, the number of B-29s in theater operational units is the number of months times 50 - but that is 50 too few - and further the first unit appears when there is a production pool already.

REPLY: This is a technical problem: turns out you can use a plane before it exists! Someone pointed that out - but I forgot to fix it. I need to fold in some of those pools into the monthly rate - much as that is less than an ideal solution (getting an extra 2 or 4 planes per month is not the same as starting with 50 on the availability date of the plane - which is what I expected it to mean). Turns out the code ignores the availability date - if anything is in the pool - it is available! So I should fix that for 4.0

Second, the PP for some units are totally wrong. For example the US BF at United States Base (SLC) is prepping for a city on Siberia, Kuching BF is prepping for Yenen, and units in China are generally prepping for wrong places

RHS: I have private information from Andrew this is a known issue.
It is in RHS because that is how CHS is. We never changed such a thing.
But while we have cought a number of these in British forces, we were not aware it was an issue for US forces. I believe the data set got numbers in them at various times - CHS hands the entire file set around calling the current location the "file owner" - and this probably permits lots of things to happen unknown to humans. There are 133,000 fields or so - and small numbers are interpreted in various ways by various fields.
I find looking at lots of fields in a spreadsheet helps spot these bogus numbers. Most of these units should start with no planning at all - that is a zero in the planning field. If you can supply slot numbers, I can fix them faster.

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 401
RE: RHS 4.1 [New plane(s)? Revised USMC Air groups.] - 7/25/2006 12:28:11 AM   
el cid again

It looks like we can add a sort of "American Emily" capability - ultra long range recon - in the form of PB4Y-1P units -

adding this plane permits creation of VD1, 3, 4 and 5
and

VMD 154, 254 and 354

It is a sort of B-24 without bombs, with extra fuel in tanks installed in the former bomb bays - and which looks a lot like existing B-24 art -
but substitutes range for bomb load. I can add this with no change to art panels.

Another consideration is the PV-2 Ventura - also using existing art.

Planes need to be reviewed because pools - intended to be available when the plane becomes available - can be used ANY time! So this is the time to chime in if you want a different plane.

Post #: 402
RE: RHS 4.1 [For anyone wanting USN/USMC air groups right] - 7/25/2006 1:01:37 AM   
Bliztk

Salt Lake City Base Force => Magadan (Siberia)
Portland Base Force => (none), actually it marks 50PPs for nothing
Toga Def Force => Yakutsk (Siberia)
AA Melbourne Base force => (none), like Portland BF
AA Whyhalla Fortress => Wellington (NZ)
AA Fremantle Fortress => Koepang (Timor)
Poniatak Base seems 1 hex to the west, and the BF is swimming two hexes west. Also it points to Batavia
RN Kuching BF => Yenen (China)

Philipinnes (don`t know if this is intended)
PP Army 3/82 Bn => Iolio (Should point to Tagbilaran)
Both units at Catanduares point to Mindoro (PP 12th BF, PP 81st Div)
PP 61st Div points to Lamon Bay, its located in Ioilio
PP 3/62 Bn points to Negros, its located in Tacoban
PP 51st Div (Located at Lamon, Points to Clark, but this could be OK)
Manila = Half of the units here points to San Fernando
Angeles/Clark Field = Nearly all units here point to Ormoc (Obviously Wrong)
PP 3/12th Bn it`s in Aparri and Points to Lucena

China is a mess, nearly all of the units have wrong PPs, I suggest that you can check them to see if they point where you want

Post #: 403
RE: RHS 4.1 [For anyone wanting USN/USMC air groups right] - 7/25/2006 1:04:03 AM   
Bliztk

BTW, you can solve the problem of the excess air units by creating (or using an existent) squadron that automatically upgrades to an obsolete model (to ensure you have replacement aircrafts) the date when you want to add the B-29s or the other planes.

The next day, because the auto-update routine you will have the planes added to the pool

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 404
RE: RHS 4.1 [New plane(s)? Revised USMC Air groups.] - 7/25/2006 1:30:53 AM   
ClaudeJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

It is a sort of B-24 without bombs, with extra fuel in tanks installed in the former bomb bays - and which looks a lot like existing B-24 art -
but substitutes range for bomb load. I can add this with no change to art panels.

A such modification was also made to two B-25J (N5-180 and N5-185) from the N°18 (NEI) Squadron - RAAF.
The top turret was removed, 1364 liters (about 300 US gallons) drop tank was installed in the bomb bay and another of 836 liters (about 184 US gallons) in the fuselage. Several cameras and a drift indicator completed the equipment.

I've no infos about the range but the two air aircraft flew a 13hrs and half sortie.

It occured between july and october 1944.

< Message edited by Jan Masterson -- 7/25/2006 1:34:34 AM >

reporter at Gazette du wargamer.fr
(Previously known as JanMasters0n)

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open."
Frank Zappa

Post #: 405
RE: RHS 4.1 [New plane(s)? Revised USMC Air groups.] - 7/25/2006 2:52:18 AM   
Hornsby

In RHS 4.08 slot 1476, RAAF Hudsons report to USSR Pacific O Fleet instead of ANZAC. I loaded the camodatxx files, only Scenario 60 had a precis in the 'Description' box.

(in reply to ClaudeJ)
Post #: 406
RE: RHS EOS 4.10 Errata - 7/25/2006 5:41:01 AM   
witpqs

Errata present in RHS EOS v4.10 (just released):

- Pontianak base force begins the game in the ocean (without a ship) in hex 24,57 (next to Pontianak). [Note: In the Pwhex just released there is also a road/trail in this ocean hex.]

- KGV class battleships point to the wrong art (they point to the correct art in CVO). KGV class 187 points to bitmap 183, should point to bitmap 187.

- Slot 1476 (RAAF Number 2/2 Flight) reports to 'USSR Pacific O Fleet'.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 407
RE: RHS EOS 4.10 Errata - 7/25/2006 8:55:39 AM   
CobraAus

RHS v4.1 for all scenarios posted on download link page

Cobra Aus

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 408
RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) - 7/25/2006 9:27:28 AM   
CobraAus

RHS 4.11 location dat files posted on download link page

Cobra Aus

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 409
RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) - 7/25/2006 10:30:24 AM   
Hornsby

Kodiak has no resources although it has its fish symbol.

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 410
RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) - 7/25/2006 11:52:25 AM   
Bliztk

EOS is still 4.08, and its the same file, exactly

(in reply to Hornsby)
Post #: 411
RE: RHS 4.08 (eratta update) - 7/25/2006 1:50:05 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

More errata (present in EOS v4.072):

This is a problem with the way the data is presented. If you play with hexes you should see the unit is in a land hex - just in the corner. Unless it is an error. I did change that hex a few pwhex files back - and Andrew elected not to change it - it is a question of making the art match the file and it is very close to the hex edge. EDIT: Right you are. Unit 3368 is in the wrong hex. I will issue a correction as 4.12 in a few seconds. That will also include a new aircraft - PV-2 Harpoon - and correction of upgrade paths for US PB squadrons.

- Soviets are not active (IIRC they are supposed to be active in EOS, otherwise ignore this entry).

IF the Soviets are not active, you have the wrong cam file. This file is now included in distribution - it also has the political points for the scenario - and probably pilots too.

- KGV class battleships again point to the wrong art (was fixed a few releases ago in CVO)

I remember that - it is amazing how this happens - but you have not indicated what is the right art? EDIT: Again - not true for any scenario.
So there is some sort of file problem - in this case it is the class file.

- RAF 114 Base Force starts the game in hex 2,2 - 'in the field' next to Aden. I assume it should begin in Aden.

This is now fixed - Almost all British base forces started at Mideast which used to be in this hex. There were also ships appearing there - and they too have been relocated - to Aden. There were also a few US air squadrons pointing there. Depending on scenario, they relocated to Aden or to United States (Salt Lake City in RHS).

- Slots 1487 (RAAF Number 13/2 Flight) and 1476 (RAAF Number 2/2 Flight) report to 'USSR Pacific O Fleet'.

That seems wrong! EDIT: This is not true. That means you are somehow mixing files. You have the wrong location file. You need to update.

Also a question - are 'Field Hands' supposed to perform engineer functions?

Yes - Field Hands are supposed to be engineers. WITPQS reported they don't. I tested and seem to have verified his report. But Matrix insists that engineers are engineers! Go figure - for safety I put in real engineer squads in all large supply sinks - to insure destruction of facilities under a land attack. Field hand squads differ in that they are almost worthless in combat. Otherwise they are the same as pioneers or sappers. Coolie squads are the same as field hand squads, except they have more men, and are worth even less in combat! The man count is quite small - I found it impacts land combat - so I minized it. These are real work teams like you find in real life - a field hand squad is something like 4 and a coolie squad is something like 6 men (or women).

< Message edited by el cid again -- 7/25/2006 2:05:52 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 412
RE: RHS 4.08 (eratta update) - 7/25/2006 2:25:11 PM   
Sneer

i noticed one of russian aircraft cannon to have penetration >20 

Post #: 413
RE: RHS 4.08 (eratta update) - 7/25/2006 3:34:22 PM   
el cid again

Right.

Aircraft weapons do not use penetration in mm - except in the anti-armor field. They have a cruder scale.

1 is the penetration of a .30

2 is the penetration of a .50

4 is the pentration of a 20mm

7 is the penetration of a 30 mm class

10 is the penetration of a 57mm

13 is the penetration of a 75mm gun

These correspond to values from 9mm (30 cal) to 131 mm (75mm) -
not the same - as you see.

I didn't design it. Don't blame me. It is probably related to the armor value of planes - which is also crude. Values of zero and one are common - and two is rare. I bet a plane with armor value = 1 is proof against a .30 in many cases (Gary loves die roles, remember - and if he shoots you in the face armor does you no good at all). I bet a plane with armor value = 2 is proof against a .50 most of the time. And I bet nothing is proof against cannon - more or less right.

(in reply to Sneer)
Post #: 414
RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) - 7/25/2006 5:00:05 PM   
Mifune

The "Fish" symbol is more of a inside joke for El Cid by CobraAus.

Perennial Remedial Student of the Mike Solli School of Economics. One day I might graduate.

(in reply to Hornsby)
Post #: 415
RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) - 7/25/2006 5:40:58 PM   
Ol_Dog

4.08 Scen 60 - In Japanese Wake Island TF on Dec 7, 4 Cl and 6 DD. No AP ot ground pounders.

In another WITP copy it has 3 CL 6 DD 2 AP and Maizuru 2nd SNLF.

Did not find Maizuru 2nd SNLF in unit list.

Probably that is why no ground combat on Wake on Dec 7

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to Mifune)
Post #: 416
RE: RHS EOS 4.10 Errata - 7/25/2006 10:23:08 PM   
witpqs

Sid,

I should have bolded this to make it stand out since it was a copy with addition from a previous message.

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

- KGV class battleships point to the wrong art (they point to the correct art in CVO). KGV class 187 points to bitmap 183, should point to bitmap 187.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 417
RE: RHS EOS 4.12 Errata - 7/25/2006 10:53:49 PM   
witpqs

Noticed something strange near Vladivostok (which is hex 65,33).

In hex 66,33 - which is a land-locked hex behind the city - there is a static CD unit 100% prepped for Vladivostok.

There are other units in the same hex, all prepping for Vladivostok (but they are mobile and can be adjusted by the player). Below is a list of all the units in hex 66,33.

Slot/Unit

2194 USSR 102nd Regional Fortress - CD
2198 USSR 549th Howitzer Regiment - ART
2197 USSR 199th Howitzer Regiment - ART
2196 USSR 273rd Gun Regiment - ART
2195 USSR 50th Gun Regiment - ART
2190 USSR 59th Rifle Division - INF
2189 USSR 39th Rifle Division - INF
2182 USSR 58th Tank Brigade - ARM

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 418
RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) - 7/26/2006 12:22:47 AM   
CobraAus

RHS v4.12 PWHEX file and update for all scenarios posted on download link page

Cobra Aus

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 419
RE: RHS 4.12 EOS Errata - 7/26/2006 4:13:15 AM   
witpqs

In RHS EOS 4.12, the two air groups on the CVL Hermes have reverted back to maximum size of '2'. In recent versions thay had been increased to '6' each (capacity of Hermes is 12 a/c).

Slot 2217 - FAA 1 Flt/814 Sqdn
Slot 2218 - FAA 2 Flt/814 Sqdn

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS 4.07 Series (tested case by case) Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI