Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Military Unit Size

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Military Unit Size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Military Unit Size - 7/25/2006 3:58:15 PM   
TBKR

This game could become the definitive ACW strategy game. It looks like it has many innovative concepts that I have not seen before. How customisable will it be? Will the game contain regimental sized units as the smallest unit and will they be able to be renamed?
Post #: 1
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/26/2006 10:07:12 PM   
Feralkoala

quote:

Will the game contain regimental sized units as the smallest unit and will they be able to be renamed?

I believe the unit size is Brigade level. As to renaming, I have no idea, but would be cool, especially for the CSA--most northern brigades were simply numbered.

(in reply to TBKR)
Post #: 2
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/26/2006 10:09:09 PM   
Feralkoala

And the linky for unit size: Unit Size Quote

(in reply to Feralkoala)
Post #: 3
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/27/2006 1:40:55 AM   
Gil R.

Yes, you can rename units. I know this because I've often accidentally clicked on the function while play-testing. (But that's a defect in me, not the game.)

(in reply to Feralkoala)
Post #: 4
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/27/2006 1:57:12 AM   
Gil R.

Let me elaborate a little. One of the features of FOF will be 100+ "special brigades" -- some named after actual brigades, others named after famous regiments or companies -- which will have special attributes and abilities and thus make them superior fighting units. The Iron Brigade, for example, will have four different attributes/abilities that a newly-mustered brigade would not (as well as better statistics), and will be one heck of a useful unit. So, while there will be the opportunity to rename brigades, some will already have the names you might want to use...

The special abilities and attributes of which I speak pertain to defensive and offensive abilities, supply, morale, movement rates, etc. There are about 35-40 of these in all, and each special unit will have at least one of them. (To find out more, you have to become a beta-tester...)

Also, while the initial release will have just over 100 of these special units, we plan to release additional units in our patches, and when the time comes we will be encouraging input on which to add.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 7/27/2006 9:42:25 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/27/2006 1:57:47 AM   
Sarge

Will the renaming units have the same restrictions as they did in COG, as in number of characters allowed.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/27/2006 2:14:12 AM   
fmonster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Also, while the initial release will have just over 100 of these special units, we plan to release additional units in our patches, and when the time comes we will be encouraging input on which to add.

Man, this is a great feature. There were many worthy units on both sides that would be great to be apart of the game.

Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/27/2006 3:19:40 AM   
Terminus

Ooooh, this is gonna be so boss... Can't wait to get my mitts on it...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to fmonster)
Post #: 8
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/27/2006 9:07:20 PM   
ericbabe

Maximum length of renamed units is set at 20 characters right now.  On some screens the names get truncated down to 13 or 16 characters.  We made the buttons on the attachment box a little wider, but names there are still truncated at 8 characters.  On the command boxes for the units we did make a lot of room for long names (unlike COG).

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/27/2006 9:11:48 PM   
ericbabe

Smallest unit is the brigade.

We've added several ways of customizing units (firearms; attributes like sharpshooters, balloons, brigade artillery, etc.) and some new unit stats (disposition, strategic supply, special abilities) and these new options combined with the increase in detail (COG used division as the smallest unit) allow players to do a lot more fine-tuning with their armies than in COG.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/27/2006 9:44:51 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Maximum length of renamed units is set at 20 characters right now. On some screens the names get truncated down to 13 or 16 characters. We made the buttons on the attachment box a little wider, but names there are still truncated at 8 characters. On the command boxes for the units we did make a lot of room for long names (unlike COG).

Yeah, that 20-character limit makes me eternally grateful that neither the USA nor CSA had a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Brigade.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 11
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/30/2006 12:18:04 AM   
Peever

quote:

Yeah, that 20-character limit makes me eternally grateful that neither the USA nor CSA had a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Brigade.

But just think of the uniform a unit with that name would have. It would be one hell of an explosion of colors I bet.

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 12
RE: Military Unit Size - 7/30/2006 8:26:03 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peever

quote:

But just think of the uniform a unit with that name would have. It would be one hell of an explosion of colors I bet.

I'm picturing Sgt. Pepper...

(in reply to Peever)
Post #: 13
RE: Military Unit Size - 8/8/2006 9:21:23 PM   
Capt Cliff

It would be nice to have the brigades made up of regements, like in War in Russia, where only Korps are dislayed on the map but they are made up of different units. Hampton's legion would be a good example which was made up of infantry, cavalry and artillery!! If you have division HQ's or Corps HQ's you could attach units to them as well!

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 14
RE: Military Unit Size - 8/8/2006 10:10:58 PM   
Gil R.

The game works quite well at the brigade level. If we were to divide by regiment, there'd be calls for us to factor in individual companies. But more importantly, such a change would require an awful lot of additional programming, and would not necessarily make detailed battles (the only time this information would be relevant) more fun.

Regarding Hampton's Legion, it's one of our 100+ Legendary Units, and is programmed in as a cavalry unit with horse artillery and a charging bonus. It's one of the better units to have...

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 15
RE: Military Unit Size - 8/9/2006 3:17:30 AM   
ericbabe

The "attributes" of brigades allow players to customize a brigade's constituent parts to some degree: players can choose to add "brigade artillery" or "brigade cavalry" to an infantry brigade, for instance, or to attach artillery to a cavalry unit to get a horse-artillery unit.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Military Unit Size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI