Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Zamboanga hit by 300 Jap bombers!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Zamboanga hit by 300 Jap bombers! Page: <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Zamboanga hit by 300 Jap bombers! - 8/3/2006 9:12:43 PM   
Sneer

i would reorganize india garrison
put 3 inf div at karachi - should be enough to keep it and took all other unit to reinforce malaya/indochina or even morthern borneo

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 2791
RE: Zamboanga hit by 300 Jap bombers! - 8/3/2006 9:39:44 PM   
PzB74

Not completely right Sneer - I need to keep both Bombay and Karachi!
So I got 1.5 div worth of troops in each city and a full division in reserve not far from Dehli.

There are troops in other areas, but I have promised to keep India realisticly garrisoned.
I think what troops I got are enough to defeat all but an all out invasion, which I'm sure Andy's
not going to launch. Too far from the Home Islands

Burma and Malaysia are not too heavily garrisoned, I'm more concerned about these areas but
can't see how it's possible to defend all the dozens of relatively large bases in these regions.

Java and Borneo have big forts and reasonable strong garrisons, troops bound for Brunei and other
bases have now been diverted to the planned counter-invasion of Zamboanga. These troops may
end up in the PI area as well. It's just not possible to be strong anywhere, and I can't defeat Andy
any other places than within the 'Inner Citadel' after mid 1944. That's the hard facts....

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Sneer)
Post #: 2792
RE: Zamboanga invaded! - 8/3/2006 11:22:00 PM   
pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

Jim and Castor, nice with 'new' faces in here...seen you before, but not that often!
Appreciate the input

First day at work today, a bit tired so no turn.

Yes, Andy has pushed far ahead of his logistical supply chain - but I'm afraid that the game lets him get away with it
I played todays combat replay and it wasn't a pretty sight. 325 ac lost for 75 enemy ones - and I did committ some Franks and
new type interceptors. Our main raid from Luzon didn't materialize and the enemy af remained open.

Andy is playing perfectly, but I loose both sleep and motivation over the way it happens. From New Guinea and northwards there is now a string of bases
that all have been captured by the same 'receipt:
1. Paras
2. Immediate CAP and airlift

It's working, but only because it's possible to make a size 3 af fully operational in a couple of hours and because Corsairs are so uber deadly.
Must admit I'm running a bit tired of rebuilding shattered Daitais after a single days fighting, it's such a hassle in the long run and especially when it
happens all the time

Regarding a strike to the enemy's rear: If I can't take out a small size 2-3 af, how can I even get close to a size 5 or 6 base?
LBA will smash our TFs and enemy carriers finish the remnants... I have thought about it several times, but can't come up with a feasible plan.
So I'm afraid I'm stuck with the spearhead. Already 9k enemy troops there after 2 days, so it's already turning into a large fort.

Castor: the Franks didn't perform as well as I hoped. The George's are sharper swords. Should have about 150 high exp Franks ready by now, but
hundreds of Superforts make it very dangerous to even base them anywhere near Zamboanga.

The question is whether I should throw in the kitchen sink in order to oppose Andy at Zamboanga? Not sure I like it anymore than leaving it alone.

Really strange that Georges perform better than Franks. IIRC the Frank is around 35 mpH faster than the George and speed is the most important thing in A2A in the game. The Frank is only 20 or 25 mpH slower than the Corsair. I thought that experienced pilots could achieve at least a 1:2 ratio against the Corsair.

i did some tests with Franks and i was so negativly suprised with their performance even against Kittyhawk III /franks were on sweep mission/ and post results in the forum...

Needless to say, i was almost accused for trolling using "isolated examples".

Now i see that others have their doubts about Franks too... and i'm not suprised.

And yes, i'm back!

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2793
RE: Zamboanga invaded! - 8/4/2006 1:21:43 AM   
Honda

Didn't even bother to stop by for a beer...

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 2794
The Divine Wind is Unleased! CL Miami sunk - 8/4/2006 1:41:56 AM   
PzB74

Good to have you back Pauk!
I will gather the Franks in powerful formations and mix them with George,
Jacks and Zekes.

The 22nd of June 1944 is the day that will be remembered as the day when the
Divine Wind struck the enemy for the first time

A unit of Sally Army bombers sacrificed themselves and rammed into the damaged
enemy light cruiers Miami and a destroyer, sinking both!

Will post another screenie showing how the Sally bombers rammed into the Miami.
The effect was tremendous!

Zamboanga had been evacuated by the enemy and massive bomber strikes devastated
both airfield and port facilities. Follow up strikes will be launched and ground
units hit.

The Combined Fleet has refuelled at Takao and is heading for Manila. This is a 'Schwerepunkt'
in any case and I want the Fleet close to the action in order to exploit the enemys weaknesses.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/22/44

Air Combat

Night Air attack on Zamboanga , at 39,59

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
J1N1-S Irving: 3 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x J1N1-S Irving bombing at 2000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy concentrated on Menando and smashed 50 transports there. I've evacuated some Base Force
units to the PI.

Day Air attack on Menado , at 39,67

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 73
F4U-1 Corsair x 14
Spitfire VIII x 9
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 6
B-29 Superfortress x 103

Japanese aircraft losses
L2D2 Tabby: 18 destroyed
Ki-57-II Topsy: 11 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29 Superfortress: 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
147 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 126
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No enemy ac over Zamboanga!

Day Air attack on Zamboanga , at 39,59

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 66

No Japanese losses
We hit Zamboanga really hard today!

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 95

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1 Corsair: 1 destroyed

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 16
Port hits 3
Port supply hits 5
This efficiently CLOSED Zamboanga!

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 24
J1N1-S Irving x 13
G4M1 Betty x 82
G4M2 Betty x 189
P1Y Frances x 98
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 58
Ki-21 Sally x 76
Ki-49 Helen x 23

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1 Corsair: 6 destroyed
F4U-1D Corsair: 2 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 3 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
21 casualties reported

Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 234
KAMIKAZE!

Day Air attack on TF at 39,63

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
A6M5 Zeke x 15
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 7
Ki-21 Sally x 11

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed
A6M5 Zeke: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 4 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 11 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Swanson
DD Capps, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire, heavy damage *magazine explodes - sinks*
KAMIKAZE!

Day Air attack on TF at 40,61

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
A6M5 Zeke x 8
D4Y Judy x 23
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 5
Ki-21 Sally x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y Judy: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 6 destroyed

Allied Ships Banzai!!
CL Miami, Bomb hits 10, Kamikaze hits 4, on fire, heavy damage *sinks*
The IJN used the hulk of the Miami for bomb practice...

Day Air attack on TF at 40,61

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 12
A6M5c Zeke x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
CL Miami, Bomb hits 9, on fire, heavy damage
No hits this time!

Day Air attack on TF at 39,63

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
A6M5 Zeke x 23
D4Y Judy x 13
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 3
Ki-21 Sally x 6

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
A6M5 Zeke: 10 destroyed
D4Y Judy: 2 destroyed, 6 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 2 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 6 destroyed

Allied Ships
DD Burns
DD Conway
DD Fletcher

Zamboanga is closed by the IJNAF/IJAAF

This is the kind of strikes I've been dreaming of!
With this kind of firepower we may have a chance.

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2795
KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 1:43:35 AM   
PzB74

The light cruiser Miami was found 1 hex from Davao..the homebase of the first
Divine Wind unit: Sallys devastated the ship and also blew up an enemy destroyer.

KAMIKAZE STRIKE!

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2796
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 1:53:46 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Very nice PzB!

Days like that almost make the end game bearable. Nice to know the Allies aren't invincible if they go to deep without their carriers.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2797
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 2:13:28 AM   
PzB74

It was a small and isolated success against orphaned US units, but still.
The Kamiz WORK and we managed to launch several massive strikes. Andy will have
to bring his fleet back to Zamboanga in strength - or risk loosing it again.

I especially like to sink enemy cruisers, as Andy is short of them.
We also destroyed another 18 Corsairs, more than 100 of the carrier borne type
has been destroyed since deployed.

The enmey sub SS Pomfret was also reported sunk near Batan Island.
So yes, it was one of the better days!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 2798
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 2:41:02 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

YES!!!!

BANZAI my friend!!

Our hearts are with you

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2799
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 2:51:06 AM   
Honda

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 2800
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 2:51:26 AM   
Nemo121

PzB,

Great to see such a result... Again though I would suggest the conversion of a Betty or preferably an Emily ( or Mavis unit... would be a good way to use up your obsolete Mavis reserves) unit. This will give you range 24 kamikaze attacks and GREATLY complicate the enemy's convoying problems. Imagine how many convoys will have to be covered by LRCAP to prevent you basing an Emily Chutai somewhere along his supply route and getting a couple of free attacks in on uncapped convoys.

Two torpedoes also means that anything smaller than an Allied cruiser should be immediately sunk if hit even once. Anything larger than a cruiser will still suffer such heavy damage that it will be in repair yard for a very significant time.

Of course if you are prepared to accept shorter range and less damage per hit in return for having more planes for the strikes then bettys or nells could be the way to go.

P.s. What was the experience of the Sally unit? The most significant result today was that 6 Sallys on a kamikaze mission can, in the absence of CAP and major AAA fire secure 4 hits. That promises excellent results if you can ever use your fighter attrition technique over a landing site Andy has committed to and MUST cover.

Post #: 2801
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 3:27:06 AM   
TheElf

Hey Hoepner,
Could you adjust your avatar to the left a little?

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

Post #: 2802
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 6:58:47 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Hey Hoepner,

Perhaps if you adjust your avatar's top a bit upwards...

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 2803
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 9:16:14 AM   
kkoovvoo

Few questions:

Are kami units refilling with AC when Kamis are expired? So if you are in the base with enough supplies/close to HQ, next turn you receive ACs?

Is it possible to train Kamis? I dont think so. How effective are 30 exp Kamis?

Can you disband Kami unit into regular unit? After 90 days when it reforms is it again as kami unit?

I am in 08/42 in my only PBEM so I have no clue

EDIT: Pzb, nice to see good news early in the morning

< Message edited by kkoovvoo -- 8/4/2006 9:20:29 AM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2804
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 10:41:33 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Hey Hoepner,

Better like that?

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 2805
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 12:41:36 PM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Again though I would suggest the conversion of a Betty or preferably an Emily ( or Mavis unit... would be a good way to use up your obsolete Mavis reserves) unit. This will give you range 24 kamikaze attacks and GREATLY complicate the enemy's convoying problems. Imagine how many convoys will have to be covered by LRCAP to prevent you basing an Emily Chutai somewhere along his supply route and getting a couple of free attacks in on uncapped convoys.

IIRC, patrol aircraft can only be set to night naval attack, which, as we known, are a far bit tricky to pull off.

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2806
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 3:07:32 PM   
pauk

PzB: yes, grumpy ol' japanese fanboy is ready to help with worthless advices and filling Andy with turns...

HONDA: i was consider that option with bear in Karlovac, but couldn't imagine that i could convince bus driver to stop bus in front of your flat and wait for an hour or two while i drink bear with you:)....

Now, back to war.... i'm interested to about experience of the Sally kamikazes - hope that they weren't crack ones. Sinking few CL or even CA is nice, but not worth sacrificing crack 80+ bomber crews. IMO, crack Army bomber units have their purpose even in middle of 44: ASW, night naval attack, keeping them in reserve and then assigning them for "hammer" strikes against isolated Allied bases (like you did against Zambo-something)....

Now, what to do with Zamboanga? first, you shouldn't allow ZamboAF becomes operational again:

- no enemy fighters on CAP
- no reinforcements could be transfered to that base
- no supply could be transfered...

depending on Andy's moves i would even consider visit with IJN fast ships to bombard this place and help to keep AF closed down. I would continue preparations of Zamboanga invasion waiting till his carriers withdraw - sooner or later he have to do it.

You can't allow Andy to have base in PI - not yet... of course, my other me (paranoic b*std) telling me that i should warn you that Zamboanga invasion was only divertion...perhaps he planing real, good old fashioned, traditional WWII invasion in some other place finally?

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 2807
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 3:26:54 PM   
AmiralLaurent

Given the position of Zamb..., it is a perfect target for IJN BB. Continue to bombard it to keep the AF closed, flew floatplanes, recon and small Betties units in all the bypassed Japanese bases and that will allow you to have an exact picuture of Allied naval moves, so you will know if the USN is able to oppose you or not.

Then a Kavieng-like counterlanding may be attempted... except that the position here is better because:
1) Allied LBA is farther
2) Allied troops hold the base, so once you will achieve 2 to 1 ratio, the base will fall and all troops surrender (while they still held in Kavieng, as they didn't hold the base....)

You now have two main problems:
1) US CV
2) B-29s that may bomb your bombers on the ground and destroy/damage enough so the AF in Z will reopen.

On a sidenote, Pauk, you are talking about night naval air attacks by high-experience Sallies.... I have never seen level bombers fly night naval attacks, only patrol aircraft. But I will be interested by level bombers doing the same (I have some 90+ exp Sentai/Daitai that I will keep in reserve for that).

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 2808
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 3:27:46 PM   
WhoCares

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

PzB,

Great to see such a result... Again though I would suggest the conversion of a Betty or preferably an Emily ( or Mavis unit... would be a good way to use up your obsolete Mavis reserves) unit. This will give you range 24 kamikaze attacks and GREATLY complicate the enemy's convoying problems. Imagine how many convoys will have to be covered by LRCAP to prevent you basing an Emily Chutai somewhere along his supply route and getting a couple of free attacks in on uncapped convoys.

What looks like an advantage is also a problem for this kind of tactic. At this stage of the war, the huge range of these planes will mostly throw them against well protected high value BB and CV TFs far away instead of attacking the convoys nearby. For a local effect and as threat against convoys smaller mid-range planes should be sufficient.

And just as a threat it could already be sufficient to put any plane (even Recon and float planes) on whatever remote bases as he will just know that there are planes but not know what type of planes. And once he attacks the base and sees just Recon planes you can rotate Kamis in

But generally it might be better to preserve and concentrate your Kamikaze groups for big attacks and only once in a while try some harrassment further in his backwaters. How about Glen-Kamikaze subs near San Francisco (at least two to be able to launch offensive strikes; Glen might be substituted with a cruiser/BB float plane)

< Message edited by WhoCares -- 8/4/2006 3:30:01 PM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2809
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 4:00:14 PM   
Honda

It's possible to launch precision kami long-range strikes. I thaught about keeping it for myself (the first thing I ever wanted not to share!) but couldn't. This is not PzBs fight, it ours too! This how I see it:
You take a few glen subs to a remote open seas area where you expect high-value unprotected traffic. Once they spot a convoy this happens:
1. All patrols are stood down exept those glens
2. Long-range kamis are put into forward bases so as to have enough range to hit the convoy
Result: a kami strike into the deep rear on an unprotected target.This way it's possible to localize the target area at the cost of being blind across the map for one turn.
Note: of course, no need to stand down patrols in Singapore if the kamis flying can't reach the outer range of the formentioned patrols.

P.S.
Sally and Mavis have the same effect as kamis because they have the same bomb load value. Sally is a good kami 'cause conventionaly it sucks as a naval attack platform. Mavis isn't around any more probably.

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 2810
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 8:54:54 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Better like that?

Yes. Now just cut out the guy on the right and expand the image more!

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

Post #: 2811
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 9:46:57 PM   
PzB74

Great response

I don't think it's possible to use Mavis in a Kami role - not allowed to downgrade my Emily groups.
As mentioned, the Sally is a near perfect kami! Pretty useless in its ground attack role, but range and bombload
makes it a deadly one shot Charlie. Anything smaller than a BB will be heavily damaged by even a single hit.

The issue regarding long range Kami strikes is interesting. I find it a bit difficult to implement though. Great advice
Honda Have to try it! Usually I have problems getting my Bettys to strike from longer ranges than 9-10 hexes.
Me thinks 95% of Andy's carriers are approaching PNG - so a raid with cvls and subs with kami AC may be worth a try.

Ponape is still open, got a Dinah recon unit there, but only minimal supplies. Most bases in PNG are also closed and/or
running out of supply. Northern PNG to Timor is now our main hunting ground. Truk is still a useful fortress though.

The Sally unit that hit the Miami was a mediocre one - avg exp of 60. Felt this would be a representable skill.
Don't want to destroy my high exp (75-80) asw units. By using Sallys it's possible to increase our naval strike potential
greatly. Only when reserves are exhausted will it become necessary to use Frances/Bettys in the Kami role. As mentioned,
Kami units seem to be very accurate. 6 hits by a 60 exp unit is good - even though the target was heavily damaged. Never, or
only rarely seen Army bomber units fly night naval attacks. Not their cup of tea me thinks.

After 'use' Kami units remain Kami units and can receive new pilots and ac and continue their Divine missions.
Kami units can train by using the regular 'Training' setting. According to the manual high exp Kamis are much more
efficient than low skill ones. A mix would probably be a good thing in order to overwhelm the targets defenders.
Must admit that I have no clue about what will happen if a Kami unit is disbanded. My guess is that it will return as a
Kami unit...?

Pauk: Imperial HQ is aware of the fact that Andy most likely will lauch a massive conventional amph invasion soon.
Nevertheless, we will try to knock Zamboanga out and capture it to strengthen morale and resolve among fighting men
both on the battlefield and in this AAR I'm planning to pound the place silly with large number of bombers and the
heavy hitters of the IJN! No mercy for the bad if they want it Andy's carriers have already withdrawn from Zamboanga,
that is what created the opening. Guess they will be back rather quickly in order to re-open the place. Have to reduce
supply levels and destroy all port/af facilities in the meanwhile. Troops can also be reduced to tatters in a few days I hope.

I will not convert anymore Kami units for a while, next turn there will be 5 available - in 14 days almost 20!

In a few days the last IJN carrier reinforcement of the war will arrive: a most mediocre cvl called Ibuki - a 27 ac birdfarm.
I'm accelerating destroyer production, they're quite cheap...unlike subs. I'm also holding Oscar II replacement ac back, even in
mid 44 numerous new Sentais are being formed. They are quite excellent in the Kami role, can casue much death and destruction
from 10 hexes!

I'm actually looking forward to Andy's next big amph operation. He will have to come to me and expose his supply train and carriers for weeks. Imagine the potential for massive air and surface combat attacks! By massing all the surface assets of the Combined Fleet, we can still overwhelm the Yanks! Andy will have to defend his carriers, transports, create bombardment and finally: surface combat TFs.

"All right you little gods. You've had the balls to come this far, now we'll see if you can go all the way! Me, I'm just an ordinary guy! If you've brought your name cards, you might as well donate them to the war effort, because your not going to need them! And if you're still virgins, you better go out and get laid right away!"

Lieutenant-Commander Goro Nonaka

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 2812
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 10:15:20 PM   
Honda

šmrc...

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2813
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 11:04:02 PM   
PzB74

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/23/44

Air Combat

Again Zamboanga was hit hard and we shot down 12 transports.
Also hit ground troops today.

Night Air attack on Zamboanga , at 39,59

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
J1N1-S Irving: 2 damaged

Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x J1N1-S Irving bombing at 2000 feet
Day Air attack on Kendari , at 33,71

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 10

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 5 destroyed
Andy targetted Davao today: torched a number of ac on the ground, but we shot down
23 Lightnings and 2 were op losses. Our best fighters took rather light casualties.
10 Jacks and Georges.

Day Air attack on Davao , at 41,61

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 22
N1K1-J George x 21
J2M Jack x 18
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 12

Allied aircraft
Mosquito PR.IX x 8
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 15
P-38J Lightning x 78
PB4Y Liberator x 12
B-29 Superfortress x 95

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 40 destroyed
N1K1-J George: 9 destroyed, 4 damaged
J2M Jack: 8 destroyed, 3 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 18 destroyed
D4Y Judy: 7 destroyed
H8K Emily: 1 destroyed
C6N Myrt: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 23 destroyed, 11 damaged
PB4Y Liberator: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
B-29 Superfortress: 3 destroyed, 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
103 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 21
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 116
Zamboanga next!

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 66

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 15
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 4
Ki-21 Sally x 82
Ki-49 Helen x 23

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
PBY Catalina: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported

Runway hits 10
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 4
Day Air attack on 503rd USA Para Regiment, at 39,59

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 7
Ki-21 Sally x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
38 casualties reported
ALWAYS the NZ units that are sent into the fray...

Day Air attack on 3rd NZ/B Division, at 39,59

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 8
G4M1 Betty x 29
G4M2 Betty x 66
P1Y Frances x 52
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 32

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
190 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Ah...should have been a Kami raid! Still, 1 penetrating hit on another Cl and a dd!

Day Air attack on TF at 42,70

Japanese aircraft
B6N Jill x 11
Ki-21 Sally x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N Jill: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 3 destroyed, 14 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Pensacola, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CL Vincennes
DD Craven
DD Remey
DD Murray
DD Foote, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Twining
Wrong target.....

Day Air attack on TF at 49,76

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 4

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 78

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 2 damaged
Again......

Day Air attack on TF at 49,76

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 78

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 2 damaged
Imagine if this had been a Kami attack....

Day Air attack on TF at 41,70

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3
P1Y Frances x 10

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 11
F4U-1 Corsair x 2
F4U-1D Corsair x 1
Spitfire VIII x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
P1Y Frances: 2 destroyed, 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 5 damaged
F4U-1 Corsair: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
APD Dickerson
BB Washington

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 2814
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 11:14:45 PM   
PzB74

Moved another 36 ac Frank group to the PI today and upgraded another Tojo Sentai on Formosa.
Andy's fleet is moved west of Palau now. Lots of carriers, warships and transports. Even LCUs.
This takes time and in a few days a new batch of ground reinforcements will arrive.

Another US sub was reported sunk of Borneo today. We're really putting the hurt on here!

I've sent 1 division and 2 brigades to sea from Manila: they will approach Zamboanga while the
fleet moves closer. It is necessary to blunt the enemys airborne spearhead once and for all.

Todays Air Losses:

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2815
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 11:29:47 PM   
Naskra

Good to see that Japanese air power still has some teeth.  
Is it possible that the invasion force originally slated for the Marianas is now bound for a base within air cover radius of Zamboanga?

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2816
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 11:45:18 PM   
Fishbed

No chance to send a little supply to NG bases with planes or barges?

(in reply to Naskra)
Post #: 2817
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/4/2006 11:58:14 PM   
PzB74

Andy doesn't have any aircover at Zamboanga right now...and it's too small to CAP itself and a fleet!
His closes major base is hundred of miles away from the PI. Will be a long way for damaged ships and supply convoys.
If I was Andy I would occupy a major base closer to Borneo/PI before moving ahead. It's a logistical MUST from my point of view.

Don't think it's worth it Fish, would be zapped asap and the bases all have 100 runway and service AND port damage.
One US bomber raid and all ac and supplies would be lost.

Truk still got 20k supplies though!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 2818
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/5/2006 2:06:37 AM   
PzB74

A few P38's cost us a lot of ac over Zamboanga today. Still 'closed' and missions
continue. Enemy fleet gathers at Sulawesi: intel reports 1650 ac here now.

Our invasion fleet is gathering of Roxas: should be ready to land within a week.
Some 12k enemy troops on Zamboanga. Guess half of these are base and engineer troops.
Some 6k combat troops means 3k inf at best. Deduct malaria and bombardment effect and
I think a full division should do it.

It feels rather comfortable to have the fleet at sea West of Luzon. Our Air Force is
very strong here within a barrier of islands. Submarines are running shuttle laying mines
at most junctions and shallw water hexes. Hopefully Andy will find some

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/24/44

Still mines...annoying!

TF 74 encounters mine field at Manila (43,52)

Japanese Ships
DD Matsu

Sub/ASW Attacks

USS Barbero reported sunk today!

ASW attack at 41,43

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 13
MSW W.15
MSW Toshi Maru #8
MSW Banshu Maru #56
MSW W.23
MSW W.6
MSW Wa 22

Allied Ships
SS Sand Lance, hits 3
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Combat

The '9' P38s over Zamboanga cost us some 100 ac today

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 69

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 18 destroyed, 10 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 8 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 10
Port hits 1

Japanese aircraft
J2M Jack x 16
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 6
Ki-21 Sally x 74
Ki-49 Helen x 25

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M Jack: 2 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 4 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 7 destroyed
Ki-49 Helen: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported

Runway hits 2
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 3
Day Air attack on 503rd USA Para Regiment, at 39,59

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 11
Ki-21 Sally x 9

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 7 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Day Air attack on 3rd NZ/B Division, at 39,59

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
J1N1-S Irving x 6
G4M1 Betty x 41
G4M2 Betty x 96
P1Y Frances x 50
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 37

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
J1N1-S Irving: 2 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
G4M2 Betty: 4 destroyed, 3 damaged
P1Y Frances: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 15 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged

Allied ground losses:
233 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground Combat

Dunno why Andy bothers...with these assault values any assault is doomed without reinforcements

Ground combat at Noemfoor

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 33298 troops, 196 guns, 79 vehicles, Assault Value = 645

Defending force 27517 troops, 144 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 489

Allied max assault: 624 - adjusted assault: 268

Japanese max defense: 348 - adjusted defense: 1789

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 8)

Japanese ground losses:
370 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Allied ground losses:
1182 casualties reported
Guns lost 24
Vehicles lost 1

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2819
RE: KAMIKAZE! - 8/5/2006 4:00:27 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Dunno why Andy bothers...with these assault values any assault is doomed without reinforcements

Ground combat at Noemfoor

Allied Deliberate attack

Serves the prupose of eating up your supplies. He can replace his, you can't.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2820
Page:   <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Zamboanga hit by 300 Jap bombers! Page: <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI