Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 2:58:55 AM   
KG Erwin

Add a "set Trade Deadline Date", to correspond with either generated or imported schedules.  The present model isn't working with imported 154-game (or shorter) schedules.  

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 151
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 3:48:42 AM   
KG Erwin

One more thing -- the number of complete games for REAL players prior to the "closer era" should be doubled.   The ENDurance ratings are way too low.  This is a big drawback to my associations in the Golden Era.   Relievers are getting way too many W/L and few starters can have the opportunity to win ( or lose) more than 15 games.  

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 152
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 4:00:07 AM   
SittingDuck

Ha - I had Juan Marichal complete 18 games in my last go-round of 1966.  He did 19 games historically.  'Course, all my CGs are up since I altered the recovery rates for starters and relievers. 

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 153
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 4:22:36 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

Ha - I had Juan Marichal complete 18 games in my last go-round of 1966.  He did 19 games historically.  'Course, all my CGs are up since I altered the recovery rates for starters and relievers. 

OK, Phil, did you send these adjustments to Shaun so he could incorporate them into the game?

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 154
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 4:29:07 AM   
SittingDuck

Not yet as I wanted to sim a few more seasons. Well, I'll reveal them here and others can try them.

<RECOVERY_PITCHER Recovery_Starter="92" Recovery_Reliever="62"/>

NOTE: this is for 4-man rotation era leagues

Starters have been upped to encourage quicker recovery. Relievers have been dropped to prevent every team having a 100-game appearance reliever. The #1 reliever will still log the most appearances and IPs of the bullpen (assuming injury-free), but the out-of-hand usage of #1 relievers will be curtailed (I have noticed my next highest EN reliever getting some good innings now!).

I played with a more patient hook for starters, but decided to keep it at default. I am now getting near-historical records for CGs and Game Appearances are coming down to more historical levels (for 1966). YMMV, depending on what era you play.

< Message edited by SittingDuck -- 8/3/2006 4:30:57 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 155
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 4:29:42 AM   
puresimmer

Best Puresim thread ever (besides Amoraq posts which are awe inspiring).

Keep it rolling guys. Obviously I can't promise anything, but this is sure a great place to come for inspiration.

If I could do this full time I'd already be banging away at this thread :)

Good night.

Shaun

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 156
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 5:01:22 AM   
SittingDuck

Your part-time surpasses the full-time of other people sometimes.

Hey, one thing that would be cool is if we could get the AI to view trading in division as less desirable.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 157
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/4/2006 5:11:54 AM   
pbot

I would like to be able to access the minor league page without having to go through the adjust lineups/rosters page.  I would still keep that link, but sometimes I just want to check out the minor leaguers progress without modifying anything and it would save some clicks if I go there straight from the left hand side navigation choices.

Post #: 158
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/4/2006 6:15:39 AM   
rpommier

Just to change things up a bit, can I add some things not to add?

- No ticket, hotdog or parking prices
- Anymore animation
- Owner emails or emails of any type

(in reply to pbot)
Post #: 159
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/4/2006 2:24:28 PM   
Leegen

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but would love the opportunity to play the All-Star game.

"But sir, how would that make him a better general?" Lee to Longstreet's request to courtmartial Stuart for disobeying orders.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 160
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/4/2006 5:59:41 PM   
Urth

quote:

ORIGINAL: dneely

Shaun:

Here is my list for 2008, some of which were on my list for 2005 and 2007, but I'm nothing if not persistent!

1. GET RID OF the runner tagging up at 1st base and us being ask if we want him to try for 2nd. I say again, it NEVER happens in real baseball! Make sure we have this option with runners on 2nd and 3rd!!
2. 40 man roster call-up in Sept.
3. Online play vs another opponent, this feature would send PS through the roof!
4. More in-game managerial decisions. Squeeze, pick-off attempts, double steal, playing the corners in, run and hit play (no current game I am aware of has this feature!)suicide squeeze, odd or RARE plays, ejections, balks, Morganna running out on the field and kissing someone (showing my age) fan interference, an RJ fast ball killing a bird....stuff like that.
5. Enhanced closer and bullpen usage model.
6. ERA SPECIFIC XML files!!!
7. Enhanced and expanded PBP with a Toggle switch to turn it off for those who don't want it.
8. A Pitch-by-Pitch mode while managing your own teams games. DMB is the King when it comes to in-game managerial options and this is a biggie. BUT make sure you don't HAVE to play this way the entire game aka OOTP 2006.

DO NOT add European, Latin, Russian or Chinese leagues to your game!!! Keep it simple and easy for those of us who are not very bright and DON'T get bogged down with minutia that no ones wants aka OOTP 2006

Thanks for listening. DNeely

PS: MORE Mods from the community! I wish I could do that stuff but I sure love what we have now and what is still to come.

...Nitpicking here, but the tagup from first *does* occasionally occur.

From Tuesday's M's vs O's game:
--------------------------- MIDDLE 6TH

Bottom 6TH B:3 S:2 O:1
Melvin Mora flies out to center fielder Adam Jones.

Bottom 6TH B:4 S:2 O:1
Miguel Tejada walks.

Bottom 6TH B:0 S:1 O:2
Jeff Conine flies out to right fielder Ichiro Suzuki. Miguel Tejada to 2nd...
...but it is admittedly a rarity, and to misquote a previous post: unless the right fielder falls down running deep to the corner to snag the fly ball, I *don't* want to be bothered to tell the baserunner to stay put.

And to misquote yet another post in this thread, I do believe that there is an issue with never being asked to tag from third. I will be prompted to wave a runner *past* third on some plays, but I don't remeber ever being asked if I want a runner to tag from third.

***EDIT:
Oops...just saw the other thread and someone already mentioned this play, and some discussion ensued about just how often the sim engine should ask us to advance from first to second. Sorry, should have kept reading...

Also, I wasn't a good citizen and failed to add my wishlist:
1. Cleanup the XML file for readability. I think that there may be some utility there that I haven't either seen or deciphered correctly and may be missing out on.
2. Like above, era-dependant XML files.
3. Interface: While I like the overall feel, I think some functionality could be added here. Things like drag 'n drop, dropdown menus, and the previously mentioned "undo" button.
4. Ballpark templates. I my be missing something, but in the process of assigning stadiums to all of the teams in my league, if found the action of placing *all* of the play-by-play locations in *all* of the stadiums to be a lot of work. Since most of the ballpark photos that I'm using have the same general layout, it would have been helpful to have a template available to assign those custom locations to different photos.

< Message edited by Urth -- 8/4/2006 6:16:30 PM >

(in reply to dneely)
Post #: 161
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/4/2006 9:35:20 PM   
Amaroq

quote:

ORIGINAL: rpommier
Just to change things up a bit, can I add some things not to add?
- No ticket, hotdog or parking prices
- Anymore animation
- Owner emails or emails of any type

Hmm, I agree with you on the first, but I'm not so sure about the latter pair.

The ball-flight animation has definitely worked, and I think taking additional steps could also be made to work - I wouldn't rule it out entirely (though it is easy to imagine disastrous animations).

Likewise, thought the e-mail system seems to have annoyed OOTP fans, it works very well in FM, EHM, FOF, and even that older game, Grand Prix Manager. It can be a good motif for communication between the game and the player - for example, I could imagine an e-mail 'reminder: trading deadline is in two weeks', or an e-mail contract negotiation system with offers, counter-offers, etc, working pretty well. Again, I don't think its a bad idea on its own - its just one which can be both well and poorly implemented.

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 162
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/4/2006 9:52:50 PM   
SittingDuck

I enjoy the animation.  I can see where people might not want it and an option to cut it out would be nice.  But to back off the animation and go back to the lines would, IMO, be a massive mistake.

But... no hotdogs?  

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 163
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/4/2006 11:27:52 PM   
rpommier

How about the ability to scroll through the play-by-play text?  If it's there I've missed it, sometimes it scrolls through and I would like to see what happened earlier.

Rod

Post #: 164
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/4/2006 11:54:08 PM   
SittingDuck

Major League/Minor League Salary Differences

One of the ways to alter this is very simple.

Currently the XML file has a YEARS_ADJUST parameter section. This is a variable on salary level to account for how many service years the player has. However, I take it this is for both major and minors service and not just major. Thus you have minors players asking for major league salary levels. And the leagues spin out of control for finances.

The way to affect that is code the YEARS_ADJUST to be for majors service time only. You'd have to figure a way to set some standard minors salary and then work it in so that guys retire properly if in the minors and underpaid (in their opinion). I think that might already be taken care of from the 'playing time' angle (ie., in AA but being 33 years old; aka - "I'm outta here!").

But this seems to me to be a way to affect salary levels and differentiate between majors and minors salaries.

< Message edited by SittingDuck -- 8/4/2006 11:56:24 PM >

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 165
Almanac - 8/5/2006 12:09:16 AM   
Walewander

I would love to see the Almanac become a little more interactive, and I would be willing to sit through extra build times if the team stats were sortable by category - most ABs to least ABs, lowest ERA to highest ERA...

Post #: 166
RE: Almanac - 8/5/2006 12:26:24 AM   
SittingDuck

I would definitely like to have filters put on the stats categories for:

Hitting (exclude pitchers, or at least have the option in a checkbox - ughh, pitchers!  but not as bad as the DH...)

Pitching (for ERA, filter out the relievers, or again have the checkbox option)

(in reply to Walewander)
Post #: 167
RE: Almanac - 8/5/2006 12:28:58 AM   
SittingDuck

RE: Fan Approval (Season Summary)

If you could engineer it so our finance levels could drop if we kept bombing in the public's eye...

Whew - I would love that!

Basically, we just stand to lose initially. Then if we improve, we can gain a bit back, but never more than the default starting financial level. And that is what I'd love to see in PSBB '08. I don't need to orchestrate bobble-head nights and set the price of hot dogs or any of that silliness. But having some type of financial repercussions for having a stinker team would be great.

Real life example: the O's attendance, after a near decade of mismanagement by the front office and PGA, has taken a massive dive - the largest percentage-wise in MLB. We are encouraging people to stay away from the ballpark as much as possible, in the hopes that it will force PGA's hand. Whether or not it does, who knows. But the point being, that type of attendance drop (around 26K now when OPACY would be near full attendance in the 90's) eventually hurts things, a lot.

So that is one way to make that approval rating really matter. And I think it should. People shouldn't be able to sandbag their season to get a high draft pick without repercussions. And I am not sure how you figure out how FAs choose which team they prefer, but a team that bombs continuously should definitely have some type of modifer to the FA's desire to play there. Again, witness the O's now. Players now openly say they won't play there. What a reversal!

But if it did become designed that approval ratings mattered again, then whatever is going on that makes them flop around like that would have to be addressed. No big whoop, I am sure. And you'd definitely want to make some basic XML parameters available to ward off the crying.

Man, I hope this lead balloon will somehow fly...

< Message edited by SittingDuck -- 8/5/2006 12:31:15 AM >

Post #: 168
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/5/2006 1:11:50 AM   
Amaroq

quote:

Currently the XML file has a YEARS_ADJUST parameter section. This is a variable on salary level to account for how many service years the player has. However, I take it this is for both major and minors service and not just major. Thus you have minors players asking for major league salary levels. And the leagues spin out of control for finances.

OMG, Duck - I'd seen that in there, but I assumed it worked as you described it 'should'. If minor league years count as full service years, no wonder total salaries are so high!

There should probably be parameters for
- played no higher than A last year
- played no higher than AA last year
- played no higher than AAA last year

And we might want 'years of service' to accrue with the correct AB / IP thresholds required to make players non-rookies.

So, a player with '0' might have gotten 20 at bats, but not have accured a 'full year'.

Post #: 169
RE: Finances - 8/5/2006 1:18:23 AM   
Amaroq

I think that's the next direction I would like to see us grow in: I don't need FM's full-blown model, but having some things like

- avg attendance
- season ticket sales
- gate receipts
- local radio contract (from the 30's on)
- TV contract (from the 60's on)
- stadium upkeep/building costs

As the next step in the financial model, would be a good thing. I could imagine these working as follows:

Season tickets: based on *last year's* success X catchment area. Win the World Series in 2004, get more season tickets in 2005. Do abysmally in 2005, see a big drop in season tickets for 2006.

Gate receipts: based on *current* success X catchment area - if you're in the pennant race in September, you should be drawing lots; if you're out of the race, attendance should drop off.

Local radio revenues: based on the size of the catchment area X historical success rating - e.g., the Yankees get much higher local radio than the Mets due to their historical revenues, but both get higher than the A's based on their catchment area.

TV revenues: shared equally based on inflation X number of teams

With variable revenues, that could lead to variable budgets - and you might even get mid-season budgetary updates, with the 'boss' authorizing an extra $5M to chase the pennant, or requiring you to dump salary mid-season if you were out of it and gate receipts were plummeting.

Post #: 170
RE: Finances - 8/5/2006 1:30:28 AM   
SittingDuck

oooo - that, IMO, should be an optional thing for the player.  I'd like to see what I suggested as a base, which could be supplanted instead by anything you are talking about.  I think that level of financial detail would hose quite a few player's interest in the game, whereas for others it might increase it.

Hence the 'option'.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 171
RE: Finances - 8/5/2006 2:01:06 AM   
KG Erwin

Anything to do with finances is immaterial to me, as I don't use them.

However, if I were to transition into the modern free-agency era, I'd simply set salary caps for each team, and let the players with exorbitant demands sit out until they (or their agents)   see reason.

Imposing a salary cap bothers me, too, as I can see AI GMs overspending themselves quickly.  

Damn -- the money issue (and baseball as a business) keeps getting in the way.   

Post #: 172
RE: Finances - 8/5/2006 7:16:03 AM   
pbot

When starting a new association from a template, I would like to be able to set the start year to whichever year I chose...and not have whatever year the template was created with be the start year. 

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 173
Hall of Famers - 8/5/2006 10:45:43 AM   
DandricSturm

My current association just entered its 13th year and for the first time players were elected to the hall. One of them, while having compiled decent stats for the time he played is simply inappropriate. He is listed as having an 11 year career but he only played 5, then filed for free agency, sat out the next 5 years and then retired.

Some way to control who goes in to the Hall of Fame would be nice. A simple "Veto" button would suffice but being able to set criteria in some fashion would be better.

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 174
RE: Hall of Famers - 8/5/2006 5:19:12 PM   
Tigers Roar

If I could have just one change it would be this:
Please allow adjustments of the lineup card for each team prior to play, whether the computer is managing the team or not. The AI decisions on lineups are driving me crazy.

I have adjusted the lineups vs. lefty/righty for each team in my league from the Lineups Screen, but the AI continually ignores those lineups when the games are played. Why? I could accept the occasional change for player fatigue, that makes sense, but when my choice for cleanup hitter is continually being move to the lead off spot and the banjo-hitting, rarely used backup catcher is slotted 5th in the batting order it doesn’t make sense.

I know I could go to each player card and "lock" the batter into a specific spot in the batting order, but this is too much work for every player and that would be going to far the other way in terms of usage. I just want the flexibility to review the AI lineup decisions and change them if I choose to do so, just as I can with the human owned/controlled teams lineup.

Thanks Shaun for all your hard work and considering user requests for improving the game!

(in reply to DandricSturm)
Post #: 175
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/6/2006 1:21:51 AM   
jcdcubs

I have seen too many players with about 50 BB and 100 So. Should add K or SO rating just like ootp. Like Gwynn, Grace, Boggs - More walks than strikeouts.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 176
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/6/2006 10:23:16 AM   
Woodruff

Shaun, I have what I believe to be a very easy addition. When there is a runner on 1st base, we have an option to "Sac Bunt"...but no option for "Bunt for Hit". It's not unusual for me to want to go ahead and try to bunt for a hit in that situation, as I love to have my high-speed guys do this.

Would this be an easy addition?

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 177
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/6/2006 12:21:26 PM   
verizon32

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woodruff

Shaun, I have what I believe to be a very easy addition. When there is a runner on 1st base, we have an option to "Sac Bunt"...but no option for "Bunt for Hit". It's not unusual for me to want to go ahead and try to bunt for a hit in that situation, as I love to have my high-speed guys do this.

Would this be an easy addition?

Good Idea. As long the cpu teams can do the same too.

(in reply to Woodruff)
Post #: 178
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/6/2006 4:56:01 PM   
SittingDuck

While fireworks are something, I'd prefer to see some type of cool celebration after winning the league championship and then after winning the WS.  That's the cause for celebration.  Nice to have it as a capper on your season.

(in reply to verizon32)
Post #: 179
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/6/2006 7:16:33 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

While fireworks are something, I'd prefer to see some type of cool celebration after winning the league championship and then after winning the WS.  That's the cause for celebration.  Nice to have it as a capper on your season.

I like that idea. Maybe a short video clip of a ticker-tape parade or something like that?

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI