Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Closing In On 20,000 Members

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Closing In On 20,000 Members Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 7:37:04 AM   
KG Erwin

For a wargaming community, that's not too shabby.

The new games are strong, and Matrix is attracting new members with its sports line. Some of these new guys are in turn exploring other games, so the expansion into other genres is a good thing, IMHO.

Post #: 1
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 7:53:49 AM   
Raverdave

IIRC there were less than 10,000 when I joined.  Well done Matrix !

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 8:33:57 AM   
rhondabrwn

16695 members and counting... pop the cork... get the bubbly ready...

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 3
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 4:43:11 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Oh come on guys, we all know the truth, 20,000 means that 20k accounts might have been made, but that doesn't mean we will have 40k eyes visiting and or reading the site.

Let's see, first there are the came here, saw stuff, and then went and never returned accounts.
Then there are the came, spent time, but account failed to work for some reason, so made a new account ones (I don't know if staff have deleted my redundant Hexed Gamer account yet, and it's not my problem for instance).

Plenty of people will be here for a single game, will never post on the forum, and hardly are reason to get giddy about.

This forum is likely supported by a hundred members, not a few thousand members.
It's like the "views" numbers for threads, that isn't how many unique individuals have read it, it's how many times the thread was opened, nothing else.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 4
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 4:50:06 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

For instance

Member & g t ; & g t ; e X & l t ; & l t ; (edit, name typed in so it will actually type in, thus spaces between characters is forced) (yes that's the actual name eh) who signed up on 8/29/2003 and has posted zero posts.

You actually plan to honestly consider that member still here?

I've done name searches before on forums, and it's easy to see, that in a lot of cases, the name makes it clear, the member was just going through the motions to get an account at the time.

I've done the math over at SZO before for instance. The majority of the membership has zero posts. Sorry, but you can call it what you like, but I consider a member with zero posts, only a person joining to get full access to a site. I call a person a member only if they participate.

< Message edited by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -- 7/7/2006 4:56:09 PM >

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 5
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 5:03:24 PM   
jchastain

I think it was intended as a "hurray for us; we're nearing a milestone" thread and not as a reasoned analysis of the value of each individual registration.  Even the worst team in every conference celebrates homecoming with a pep rally.  Just in case you were wondering, the kids who show up with mathematical proofs that the team isn't doing well usually don't become the popular ones. 

Post #: 6
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 5:10:10 PM   
Terminus

Wedgies, anyone?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 7
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 7:21:56 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Myself, while not worried by the numbers (life is really not that serious to me :)), I WOULD like to be able to understand the numbers for what they mean.

I just did some looking. 20 pages of members with join dates at the beginning ie mid 2000 but all with just one post. That's a looooooong list of people that said something once, and then never again. And considering they have been on the rolls since the beginning.

I just wish we could know who's still present.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 8:11:46 PM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Wedgies, anyone?

Every party has it's pooper. That's why Les is here.

But seriously. I don't think anyone believes there are 20,000 people participating actively on the Matrix site. But then I guess certain more intelligent people think the rest of us are just plain ignorant.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 8:17:57 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

For instance

Member & g t ; & g t ; e X & l t ; & l t ; (edit, name typed in so it will actually type in, thus spaces between characters is forced) (yes that's the actual name eh) who signed up on 8/29/2003 and has posted zero posts.

You actually plan to honestly consider that member still here?

I've done name searches before on forums, and it's easy to see, that in a lot of cases, the name makes it clear, the member was just going through the motions to get an account at the time.

I've done the math over at SZO before for instance. The majority of the membership has zero posts. Sorry, but you can call it what you like, but I consider a member with zero posts, only a person joining to get full access to a site. I call a person a member only if they participate.

Nah, I think "lurkers" definitely count. Now "last visit" would be a valid criteria for evaluating the quality of their membership.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Post #: 10
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 8:25:07 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

16695 members and counting... pop the cork... get the bubbly ready...

And today it says 19703... that is quite a jump in a few days.

And looking over the newbies, I see quite a few of them making posts. One had 22 posts in his first two days. So, I would say that the "new crop" seems to have staying potential.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 11
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 8:27:13 PM   
rhondabrwn

Sorry to keep doing this... another thought.

Perhaps the board totals should have a count for "total members" and also "members online within the past XX Months"? That would be more indicative of the level of active membership on the board.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 12
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 8:37:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

In fact, there are more than 20,000 people viewing these forums since the majority don't bother to create a member account. Regardless of duplicate or temporary accounts, it's still a milestone.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 13
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 8:38:47 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

...20 pages of members with join dates at the beginning ie mid 2000 but all with just one post. That's a looooooong list of people that said something once, and then never again. And considering they have been on the rolls since the beginning.

You know, some people only post once but the post really means something. Other people post every few seconds with rather useless stuff ...

Post #: 14
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/7/2006 8:43:04 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
You know, some people only post once but the post really means something. Other people post every few seconds with rather useless stuff ...

Surely not!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 15
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/8/2006 4:39:39 AM   
Zap

I don't know Les_the_Sarge_9_1,

I just counted only a portion of recent posters, in the games threads and in the General Discussion. The number seems to be more than the 100 you mentioned. So, to be more accurate, you will have to revise the number given of active users. Don't be so pessimistic.

Post #: 16
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/8/2006 5:25:11 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Where did I use the sum 100?

Just wondering.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 17
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/9/2006 6:46:55 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

quote:

...20 pages of members with join dates at the beginning ie mid 2000 but all with just one post. That's a looooooong list of people that said something once, and then never again. And considering they have been on the rolls since the beginning.

Yeah Marc, you really should stop doing that. ;)

Post #: 18
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/9/2006 6:54:36 AM   
Drex

I remember when I joined, each member had a number which was kind of neat when the membership was smaller. I think David Heath was Number One but maybe some of the older guys remember better. Can any of you remember your number? I can't remember mine, senility has taken over.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 19
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/9/2006 2:35:16 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

quote:

Yeah Marc, you really should stop doing that. ;)

I actually had you in mind

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 20
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/9/2006 4:50:17 PM   
ravinhood

[I actually had you in mind ]

Lol, I knew you did that's why I typed what I did. ;)

Post #: 21
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/10/2006 4:12:33 AM   
Zap

Your post above mentioned Matrix was maybe supported by likely a hundred members. Recent posters I would consider Matrix supporters. What's your definition of supporter?

< Message edited by Zap -- 7/10/2006 4:13:54 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/10/2006 5:41:56 AM   
liuzg150181

quote:

Myself, while not worried by the numbers (life is really not that serious to me :)), I WOULD like to be able to understand the numbers for what they mean.

I just did some looking. 20 pages of members with join dates at the beginning ie mid 2000 but all with just one post. That's a looooooong list of people that said something once, and then never again. And considering they have been on the rolls since the beginning.

I just wish we could know who's still present.

I certainly am around,except lurking beneath like a submarine.
Btw,well done Matrix games.

Post #: 23
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/10/2006 6:41:47 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Your post above mentioned Matrix was maybe supported by likely a hundred members. Recent posters I would consider Matrix supporters. What's your definition of supporter?

Duh :) I checked for "100" not "hundred" hehe

Definition of a supporter, well hmm, someone that buys from them, or mentions them in a positive or neutral manner here and or elsewhere I suppose. Word of mouth is often worth it's weight in gold (assuming it is positive of course hehe).

A person doesn't have to post, but, you sure can't claim to have participated, if there's no way demonstrate you were ever around hehe.

Some will only go to a multi game supporting forum for one game of course, and that will tend to isolate them from view from many. Some likely joined as they needed temporary aid in some technical issue area. I for instance, have specifically asked for people to NOT join at my forum, if they are only there to ask a few brief questions. I suppose though, in some cases, you can't really ask a question until you join at most forums.

I don't consider myself in any way shape or form special here or on anyone else's forum. Regardless of what I might have done for the site in any way shape of form.

I just prefer that when a person joins, they at least say "something" hehe. Why waste the opportunity to say hello after all. Some of my best friends are people I merely met by blind chance on a forum, and all because I was interested enough to say something.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 24
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 7/10/2006 6:50:40 AM   
Drex

I would think that at least one criteria for being a supporter is the purchase of at least one matrix game. Posting is would be just an extension of gameplay.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 25
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 8/6/2006 6:52:20 AM   
Arnir

Hey, we passed 20,000 and I missed it!

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 26
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 8/6/2006 9:09:46 AM   
Harry Flashman

Well, I've been a member since 8/6/2002 and as of this post, I'm averaging 1 post a year. But I definitely consider myself a matrix supporter even though I don't post....especially since I own 7 Matrix games.  Anyway, just wanted to pipe in to speak for the "great silent majority" that don't post but still love the forums.  Keep up the good work Matrix.  And, now....back to lurking!   

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 27
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 8/6/2006 9:23:54 AM   
Zap

All Right! Harry, I knew the silent majority was out their somewhere.

< Message edited by Zap -- 8/6/2006 9:24:43 AM >

(in reply to Harry Flashman)
Post #: 28
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 8/6/2006 8:58:09 PM   
KG Erwin

So, who was number 20,000?  That person should get some sort of congratulatory message from Matrix or from the forumers.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 29
RE: Closing In On 20,000 Members - 8/6/2006 9:15:02 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drex

I would think that at least one criteria for being a supporter is the purchase of at least one matrix game. Posting is would be just an extension of gameplay.

Actually though I nag Matrixgames about their high prices. ;) I do travel around a LOT of forums and make mention of their games when someone brings up something they wish they had. I've left posts on Gamespy, IGN, Gamespot, the Total War official Websites, Battlefront, Heavens game (AOW website) and various other what I would call independent web sites. Sites they are already affliated with like Slitherine and The Wargamer and SSG I feel no need since they get quite a bit of advertising from the other patrons. Even while in Best Buy or Software Etc or Circuit City and someone is browsing the computer games and we get to talking about them I put up recommendations for Matrixgames. One guy bought HTTR on the spot even though "I" don't care for it; due to my just relaying what many of you say about it. ;)

But, at any rate I belong as a member I did get Tin Soldiers:Caesar ;) I also got EYSA West Front, but, on ebay for .99 cents and only played it once...Real Time....just ain't my cup-o-tea for the most part, not unless it has some turn based elements in it like the TW series. I did get HTTR also at $17.99, but, it ain't my cup-o-tea either, got it just to see what all the fuss was about in more depth than just piddling with it at a friends house for an hour. I guess if you like that sort of thing and real time it's a pretty good game. Gemme turn based and hexes or square any day though. ;)

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Closing In On 20,000 Members Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI