Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bugs in the game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Bugs in the game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bugs in the game? - 8/8/2006 7:42:15 PM   
gdpsnake

I would like to know if these are bugs and need to be posted in the bug forum. Any info would be helpful.

1). If I attach ANY minor country units to a minor country corp/army counter (Such as attaching Batavian, Kleeves, Flanders troops to the Batavian Army unit) I can never remove them! No matter what I do or what shortcut or mouse procedures I follow, those troops can never be moved/removed/detached from the Minor country corps/army counter.
I think this is a bug or why shouldn't one be able to?

2.) I have 8 levels of barracks in France and the French Lancer unit is available to purchase (NOT greyed out) but I can select and click and bang the computer all I want but the unit WILL NOT be created (frotunately the resources are not lost.) I believe this has been an ongoing bug since this game was first released. Why is it still not fixed or is it and I'm just clueless?!

3.) Some minor units remain on the board afer their country has been conquered. In my case, 2 Piedmont milita units remain in the province of Piedmont (And are listed as 'neutral units') not in the city after Piedmont has long since been conquered (Full blue - not crosshatched) by France. They don't do anything, never partake in any combat but they should have disbanded or been 'absorbed' into the French Army.

4.) Some upsetting events:
France occupied Berg and the province north of Bavaria (which were both part of Bavaria) and the provinces went yellow crosshatched (Bavaria was an Austrian protectorate). However, Bavaria was subsequently conquered and went full blue - not crosshatched. So why didn't these 'sub provinces' of Bavaria also turn blue as conquered? Berg and the other spot (The name eludes me) remain under Austrian control!? Austria and France were at war at the time. I think ALL of Bavaria should have been conquered when the Bavarian capitol fell or at least the protectorates of Bavaria should now be French Occupied and blue hatched - not yellow and under Austria.

Austria, thanks to the wonderful effect where armies can retreat PAST a player after a battle (instead of returning to whence they came or towards LOCs and supply) and into his controlled areas, managed to seige and occupy Flanders at the start of the next turn. The very same turn I entered an 'empty Flanders' as the "retreating" Austrain armies continued their "retreat" toward Paris (Flanders had been French occupied, a protectorate, from the start of the game). However, the province of Flanders remains under Austrain control and yellow crosshatched. Why didn't it return to my color? Now, I'm sure when Austria falls and I demand it's liberation, Flanders will become an independent coutry requiring me to conquer or protectorate it all over again! Why didn't it immediately become a French occupied province!?

Other than liberating a province and then conquering it, how does one make a protectorate conquered or essentially become a solid color? Are there any diplomatic methods other than war? It would seem after time and diplomatic investment, one could change the political structure?

Some feedback please? Also, does court developement have any effect on waste?
Post #: 1
RE: Bugs in the game? - 8/8/2006 8:16:09 PM   
jimwinsor

1) It's supposed to be this way; a intentional limit on your ability to command protectorate troops.  Working as designed.

2) A known bug, but there is a work-around to it IIRC...can anyone recall the Lancer work-around?  It involved using another method of building troops...

3) WAD.  If that conquered country goes independent some day, those militia will become it's starting forces.

4) The rules concerning multi-province minors are so confusing that I no longer even try to predict what my armies will do to them; I just accept what happens as fate!  :o)

As to forward retreats, the best defense is rear-area guards (a cheap militia, cossack or irregular) in each areas you DON'T want the enemy retreating to.

Lastly, provinces with 5 or more Courts do not count towards determining whether you are over the 20 province Waste limit.  And in any case, provinces with 5+ Culture or 7+ Courts never get hit with Waste.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 2
RE: Bugs in the game? - 8/8/2006 9:27:05 PM   
oliver

1.) a workaround is to give an auto-join order to te units you want to remove from the container (at least it worked with patch 1.2.18)

22e demi-brigade de ligne
http://www.demi-brigade.org

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 3
RE: Bugs in the game? - 8/8/2006 10:19:20 PM   
gdpsnake

1.)  I completely disagree with this limitation.  In real game terms as far as the use of the troops in combat, where to move, etc. is not limited at all.  The only limitation is that once attached to a Minor Army counter they can't be unattached.  And while that might make sense for Batavian troops in a Batavian Corps, it should not be true for OTHER minor country units.
Also, if all the minor troops "switch" sides if the country "switches" then who cares where they are or what the previous owner did with them.  The ONLY limiting factor should be that knowing they MIGHT switch sides, I SHOULD be careful how I use them.  In practical troop command and HISTORICAL accuracy, I should be able to attach any allies or minors in any way I please.  Think of Waterloo as a perfect example.  The Allies facing Napoleon consisted of many different nationalities Nassau, Belgian, Brunswick, etc. and Wellington TOTALLY had command of what they did and where they went and who they were attached too for command purposes.

2.)  Not to sound rude but why has this KNOWN bug been allowed to remain after more than one post release patch where it's been an issue?

3.)  Then I would still argue those troops should not be present on the map but could be raised or 'appear' in the province/city when/if the country changes sides.  Name one historical instance where a major power allowed "Neutral Armed Forces" to be levied/raised or exist in ANY conquered country/Province that did not have strict allegiance to the owning Major Power.  They would be seen as rebels and dealt with.  Nobody allows a potential threat to freely congregate/build in their backyard.

4.)  Fate is so painful........

5.)  So even a single militia unit in a province will prevent a retreat to that province?  I don't think so.....I see these guys retreat into my provinces full of troops all the time.....But I shall test your theory and watch carefully.  I'm certain this isn't true for irregular forces......

Thanks for the waste answer!

(in reply to oliver)
Post #: 4
RE: Bugs in the game? - 8/9/2006 12:47:44 AM   
jimwinsor

5) Just as a clarification, troops have to be deployed outside a city so as to block a retreat.  One such troop should do the trick.  In fact an eeeeevil tactic (if you can afford it) is to surround a battle province completely with such troops...thus if you win the battle, you'll POW the entire beaten enemy force.

Sometimes I'll be tempted to have a sole garrision militia deploy outside a city, because I anticipate a battle next door and I need a retreat-blocking unit.  The drawback is that if I miscalculate and the enemy moves into that province in the strategic phase, I'm screwed...they'll likely take the city without a siege!

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 5
RE: Bugs in the game? - 8/9/2006 12:57:32 AM   
Russian Guard

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

In fact an eeeeevil tactic (if you can afford it) is to surround a battle province completely with such troops...thus if you win the battle, you'll POW the entire beaten enemy force.

Yes and while this may seem a "gamey" or completely unrealistic tactic to some (after all, for example, how could a few thousand Militia prevent 200,000 French under Napoleon from retreating right through them) it is an effective way to make sure you protect your lines of communication so that you have a place to retreat if needed. The tactic only works if the attacker hits with everything he's got or over-extends forward, and doesn't protect his flanks and rear.

Sadly...the AI will make this mistake at times...I use this "surround" tactic against those pesky "Revolutionary" forces (read: traitors) when they pop up like a weed somewhere in the middle of Russia...

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 6
RE: Bugs in the game? - 8/9/2006 3:42:52 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: gdpsnake
2.) Not to sound rude but why has this KNOWN bug been allowed to remain after more than one post release patch where it's been an issue?

It is sad but compelling proof of my non-omnipotence. I've tried to fix this thing thrice, and had thought that it was fixed definitively by 1.2.16, but apparently it is not.

I should add that I'm flattered that you think that bugs only exist because I allow them to do so; if only it were so.

< Message edited by ericbabe -- 8/9/2006 3:45:21 AM >

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 7
RE: Bugs in the game? - 8/9/2006 6:20:35 PM   
gdpsnake

Eric,
My faith in you is undiminished - you may have fallen in grace but who wants to be godlike - it's a hard standard to live up to and babes like 'bad boys' anyway.
Of course, babes don't like you giving them 'bugs' either........

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Bugs in the game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI