Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does MLB strategy apply to PureSim?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Does MLB strategy apply to PureSim? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does MLB strategy apply to PureSim? - 8/11/2006 1:18:10 AM   
rpommier

I've been reading plenty of Baseball books of late, Moneyball, Strat-o-Matic Fanatics (loosely baseball), The Numbers Game, Fantasy Land and currently 'My Team' by Larry Dierker, I'm wondering to what degree PureSim simulates baseball.

Can I build an Oakland A's type team? Looking for the next K. Youklis? (from Moneyball 'Greek God of Walks'), I know he plays for Boston. Should I look for OPS overall? Totally disregard BA? How much of a game vs sim is PureSim?

It would be nice if there was a way to search for players that met certain criteria like Theo Epstein or the other Sabermetricians out there.

Rod
Post #: 1
RE: Does MLB strategy apply to PureSim? - 8/11/2006 2:08:17 AM   
Amaroq

So, yes you can absolutely build an Oakland A's type team, trusting OBP and pitching to get it done for you. (Value the 'Eye' trait for batters, and look at OBP and OPS more than you do at Avg, and you'll be on your way.)

The rest of your question, 'game vs sim', I'm not sure what response you're looking for.

As for ways to search for players that meet certain criteria, you can use the Filters to accomplish this in some ways - Eye > 60, Speed > 50, Hands > 50, say, then manually sort by Contact or Power, and you've got a solid 'Eye' player who won't be too much of a liability in the field or on the basepaths.

If you want to go further, Shaun's left the 'Add-In' capability for any Visual Basic programmer to write their own plug-in, so if you can define your criteria mathematically, you can write some code to search for the players that meet it.

('Basic' is just what it says: one of the easiest programming languages to learn. I think every developer I know started with at least a bit of Basic, as children, so don't let it intimidate you.)

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 2
RE: Does MLB strategy apply to PureSim? - 8/11/2006 5:20:54 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: rpommier

I've been reading plenty of Baseball books of late, Moneyball, Strat-o-Matic Fanatics (loosely baseball), The Numbers Game, Fantasy Land and currently 'My Team' by Larry Dierker, I'm wondering to what degree PureSim simulates baseball.

Can I build an Oakland A's type team? Looking for the next K. Youklis? (from Moneyball 'Greek God of Walks'), I know he plays for Boston. Should I look for OPS overall? Totally disregard BA? How much of a game vs sim is PureSim?

It would be nice if there was a way to search for players that met certain criteria like Theo Epstein or the other Sabermetricians out there.

Rod

I know what your're getting at, Rod, but every player has their own expectations. For my purposes, Pure Sim will satisfy my needs for a combination game/sim. You just have to identify your primary wants, and choose the game that best satisfies those wants.

For Pure Sim, that's my game of choice. I've explained my reasoning in other threads.

Now -- I wanna emphasize that one size does NOT fit all -- there is NO way a game can be all things to all gamers.

This is why the open-ended design for games like this is so important -- the tools are provided to customize the game to fit your own personal desires.

For you, Rod, you should look at Padres Fan's site for player-designed add-ins. Pure Sim already offers some sabermetric stats. Personally, I don't put much stock in them. My stats-geek quotient is pretty low -- I'm primarily concerned with the team's W-L numbers.

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Does MLB strategy apply to PureSim? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI