Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Odd Assumptions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Odd Assumptions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Odd Assumptions - 8/5/2006 7:42:49 PM   
Sardonic

I am puzzled by the assumption that France will be able to massage victory conditions to gain
effectively automatic victory points.

Why is that?

When I play, and I usually play Spain, I never surrender. I always give my fleets to the Brits.
In fact in some games, I DOW on the English JUST to surrender to them, and give them my fleets.
This requires a accomodating English player.

However, allowing th English to use your fleets, is surely better that having him SINK, those fleets.

Speaking soley as Spain of course.

To surrender to France, negates your greatest advantage. Terrain. He doesnt want to stay around inside
Spain. Sure he can occupy Madrid, and so what? Were you actually getting that much cash anyways?

Make him hunt down and capture each capital, and force a surrender. In money alone it will cost him.
If the English help, it may not be that easy for him to take them all.

By caving in to France, yes you preserve the possibility of 'eventual' victory. But you also, allow the French player
the luxury of not actually fighting.

He gains no points, unless he defeats corp. Is there some reason you absolutely MUST field one?
Read the rules about what generate Political Points.
Storming a Fortress is one way.

To meet Napoleon in the field, is to give him the advantage. Why do that?

You can always pile up troops in cities and get them back after the surrender.

Post #: 1
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/6/2006 6:30:42 AM   
Murat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardonic

When I play, and I usually play Spain, I never surrender. I always give my fleets to the Brits.
In fact in some games, I DOW on the English JUST to surrender to them, and give them my fleets.

How? You cannot just hand over corps to an enemy. If England is 'using' your fleets it's under aliiance and combined move, something that is bad for Britain, especially if you are not a threat.

quote:

However, allowing th English to use your fleets, is surely better that having him SINK, those fleets.

Why do you care? You seem to have no use for them any way, let them be sunk. Better to let Britain be neutral and use them for your own goals.

quote:

To surrender to France, negates your greatest advantage. Terrain. He doesnt want to stay around inside
Spain. Sure he can occupy Madrid, and so what? Were you actually getting that much cash anyways?

Make him hunt down and capture each capital, and force a surrender. In money alone it will cost him.

By caving in to France, yes you preserve the possibility of 'eventual' victory. But you also, allow the French player

So you are going to start this war? And you want Civil Unrest? I am guessing you play the optional rules where Civil Unrest does not remove you from the game. France needs 1 ally, any ally. With that it is just a matter of time before France will turn their attentions your way and you get what you ask for. Meahwhile your buddy Britain will sink those fleets at the first chance, Britain doesn't need your ships to rule the board, he just needs them gone.

quote:

He gains no points, unless he defeats corp. Is there some reason you absolutely MUST field one?

So no army either? France can have a war with you that you declare, without any threat of you coming over his border, which means that he can crush the Central Powers at full strength before turning on you WITH BRITAIN and eliminating you from that corner of the board. Solidly the worst Spain plan I have ever seen. Still above the Russian Winter Death March to Sweden but just.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 2
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/6/2006 3:46:19 PM   
Sardonic

I cant imagine where you got any of that.

Why would Spain declare war upon France? He doesnt need to do that?

England is allowed to choose Spanish Fleets to use as his own as a victory condition.
Not unlike 18 months peace.

It matters not at all that France CAN defeat Spain. What matters is that he gains a minimum of political points doing that.
Yes indeed you can stomp about the map capturing troops that peace will make you give back.
But none on that, will gain you political points.

Yes England CAN sink your fleets, somewhat easily. And if he does that, while you were being so accomodating.
Then you at least know who NOT to trust in another game. In such a case, you sell your soul to France and do whatever he asks you to do.

I play with the rule that a maximum of three provinces can be lost by any power also.
The rule IS there, it hardly matters if you dont like it.

Surrendering to France w/o forcing him to earn the victory, is the easiest way tio ensure he wins.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 3
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/6/2006 3:59:24 PM   
ktotwf

Lame strategy. This isn't Diplomacy.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 4
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/6/2006 7:10:53 PM   
yammahoper

I'm of the opinion the game goes best when Spain does not ally with France.  It doesnt mean Spain must ally with GB though.  As GB I have fought SP fpr Portugal.  I have also let SP have portugal to make and keep an ally.  I have played GB a lot and only once have found a need to sink SP ships.  I have also been SP and invaded by FR, and I think Sardonics strategy works very well against the FR.  Bleed them.  Make him go deep.  Cut supply and force a forage.  This works very well if the GB lends a few corps and navies can be used for moving.  Even w/o GB, the fight is very costly towards the FR, and that is the point.  If FR wants to win, the SP have to let him know it will cost him, not just factors and money, but probably the game.  After three invasions of SP in our games, no FR player was ever willing to go to war in SP again.  Most FR just offered a few Italian minors, like naples, to the SP player, and directed them towards Africa and TU.  Meanwhile, the other majors hope and pray for the FR to invade SP because the end result is much like US in Iraq or Isreal in Lebenon...ugly.

yamma

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 5
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/6/2006 9:00:24 PM   
Murat

quote:

England is allowed to choose Spanish Fleets to use as his own as a victory condition.

England can chose a CORPS on loan, not a fleet, not artillery, not cav.

quote:

I play with the rule that a maximum of three provinces can be lost by any power also.

Surrendering to France w/o forcing him to earn the victory, is the easiest way tio ensure he wins.

Even MORE in France's favor. France cannot lose dominance and your threat is now non-existent to them. they can let you sit until you declare war and then just attack anything you send into France.

Allying with Britain is a valid strategy but you cannot just give Britain your country. You need to pursue your own strategy (see other 2 threads) and use your fleets and armies for SPANISH gain.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 6
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/6/2006 9:28:40 PM   
Sardonic

Actually I have seen many games where Spain has either won, or come in second, just thru economic manipulation.
The moral is, dont bid high.

If France doesnt invade, then simply let England use Spain to stage in.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 7
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/6/2006 9:41:39 PM   
hlj

quote:

I am not familiar with that rule, It is not one of the victory conditions from the victory condition chart. Can you post it?

quote:

Yes England CAN sink your fleets, somewhat easily. And if he does that, while you were being so accomodating.
Then you at least know who NOT to trust in another game. In such a case, you sell your soul to France and do whatever he asks you to do.

No, if he did it you would know that he didnt trust you after the 18 months, and you would know that he wouldnt have to fear spain even though he sold his soul to france.

To say that you wouldnt trust that player in another game, is in my oppinion wrong. I as spain would never give my ships to GB and I would always expect GB to try and take them from me.

quote:

I play with that rule too

quote:

I think you are right about that. But the best way to force him to earn the victory is not to give your fleet to GB.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 8
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/7/2006 5:56:00 AM   
Sardonic

quote:

ORIGINAL: hlj

quote:

I am not familiar with that rule, It is not one of the victory conditions from the victory condition chart. Can you post it?

quote:

No, if he did it you would know that he didnt trust you after the 18 months, and you would know that he wouldnt have to fear spain even though he sold his soul to france.

To say that you wouldnt trust that player in another game, is in my oppinion wrong. I as spain would never give my ships to GB and I would always expect GB to try and take them from me.

quote:

I play with that rule too

quote:

I think you are right about that. But the best way to force him to earn the victory is not to give your fleet to GB.

You cant make someone trust you. All you can be is trustworthy. If the Brit wants to play that way. then he does.
The game lasts 120 turns. It is only 45 ships.

A Spain dedicated to a revenge strategy, is surely worse than one that was actively helping you.

I can see Spain delibretly feeding Political Points to inflate France's score. And Englnd would have no one to blame but
himself.

But I dont see Spain winning, constantly surrendering to France.

(in reply to hlj)
Post #: 9
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/7/2006 2:21:14 PM   
Soult

quote:

I am puzzled by the assumption that France will be able to massage victory conditions to gain

Why is that?

well... you must have some houserules to do so, cause it isn´t possible that way by the of original rules.
And Napoleon would really be right to remove a spanish King acting that weak :)
It is possible to play Spain in a balance between France and GB, and to go for your own goals. You desribe a Spain that is somewhat close to a british appendix, is it really what you like ?
In my last game as Spain I had an agreement that in the end when GB declared war on Denmark, I was the one to controll it again GB, decalred war on GB the same moment, allied with France, had troops and ships ready by setup for an invasion, the british player did land some troops in Denmark( so no lapse of war). The next diplomatic phase I agreed about an informale peace with GB, Russia later got my "moral support" as promised when he took Sweden, I agreed with France that I would never be part of a coalition against it, told GB that I will never support a french invasion as long as GB leaves me alone in Portgal and North Afrika, etc., just imagine the rest or think about the way you would act in this position, it was really fun. No, we did not finish the game, we played ~ to 1809 (?), perhapse at some time later there would have been a decision between F and GB... or Spain would become a target of anybody being to close to win the game, who knows.
All I want to say is this: EiA is sucha great game because there is a real chance for every nation. And not just as appendix

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 10
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/7/2006 11:26:47 PM   
Sardonic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soult

quote:

Why is that?

well... you must have some houserules to do so, cause it isn´t possible that way by the of original rules.
And Napoleon would really be right to remove a spanish King acting that weak :)
It is possible to play Spain in a balance between France and GB, and to go for your own goals. You desribe a Spain that is somewhat close to a british appendix, is it really what you like ?
In my last game as Spain I had an agreement that in the end when GB declared war on Denmark, I was the one to controll it again GB, decalred war on GB the same moment, allied with France, had troops and ships ready by setup for an invasion, the british player did land some troops in Denmark( so no lapse of war). The next diplomatic phase I agreed about an informale peace with GB, Russia later got my "moral support" as promised when he took Sweden, I agreed with France that I would never be part of a coalition against it, told GB that I will never support a french invasion as long as GB leaves me alone in Portgal and North Afrika, etc., just imagine the rest or think about the way you would act in this position, it was really fun. No, we did not finish the game, we played ~ to 1809 (?), perhapse at some time later there would have been a decision between F and GB... or Spain would become a target of anybody being to close to win the game, who knows.
All I want to say is this: EiA is sucha great game because there is a real chance for every nation. And not just as appendix

Spain doesnt need to fight any battles to win.
Just bid low

(in reply to Soult)
Post #: 11
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/7/2006 11:45:57 PM   
Murat

quote:

Just bid low

So now that we called you on the fact that you have ignored the rules, you fall back on this. Well again, you are wrong. Britain wins by default and Spain can be hit a hard set back by Britain subtracting VP from Spain. Or France can rampage Spain between wars with the East. Or Turkey can go after the Ottomans. So Spain can be made to face the choice of fight or lose.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 12
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/7/2006 11:53:11 PM   
Sardonic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

quote:

Just bid low

So now that we called you on the fact that you have ignored the rules, you fall back on this. Well again, you are wrong. Britain wins by default and Spain can be hit a hard set back by Britain subtracting VP from Spain. Or France can rampage Spain between wars with the East. Or Turkey can go after the Ottomans. So Spain can be made to face the choice of fight or lose.

You did? Which rules were those?

Yes Turkey can go after the Ottoman, so what?

You can still win, w/o fighting.

Yes Britain can subtract points from Spain. And?
Britain can subtract points from ANYONE.

I dont agree that France can rampage Spain so easily between Campaigns.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 13
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/8/2006 2:07:25 AM   
Joisey

quote:

Why is that?

Well, this has to be the most SERVILE Spanish strategy I've seen.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 14
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/8/2006 2:18:31 AM   
Sardonic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joisey

quote:

Why is that?

Well, this has to be the most SERVILE Spanish strategy I've seen.

The point of the game is to WIN. Not look good in the PR

(in reply to Joisey)
Post #: 15
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/9/2006 12:18:16 AM   
Joisey

But if Spain is so thoroughly subject to the whims of France, why expect France to let Spain win?

Even if just in a passive aggressive way, like marching the French corps 4 provinces away to engage in battle, leaving the Spanish corps tagging along for the PP behind:  "Oh, I'm really sorry the battle happened like that, but I had to hit him this turn!  Too bad that your guys couldn't keep up."

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 16
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/9/2006 3:41:06 PM   
McGuire

quote:

Sorry to disagree, but winning the game is NOT the point!
Who ever wins or loses - I don't care as long as it's fun!
OK! If I'm the one to win AND I have fun - even better!

But I sure as heck won't have an ouce of fun just sitting back and waiting for the economic manipulation to win the game for me!

If I fight, I might lose! If I do diplomacy, I might get into some situation!
But from my point of view: THAT'S THE GAME!
And not chickening out to every side....

There are only 10 types of people in the world!
Those who can read binary - and those who don't!

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 17
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/9/2006 7:15:12 PM   
Roads

I think you shouldn't be bidding for Spain if that's your attitude to the game.

The diplomatic game with Spain can be every bit as interesting as the military game for someone else.

The question here is what should Spain do when France comes knocking for PPs, as she almost inevitably will. If your first thought is that you should fight the French, your Spain isn't going to do well. There are really only two rational ways for Spain to deal with a French invasion
1) Run away and surrender as soon as possible.
2) Run away and make France pay to get a surrender.

The entire Spanish army can beat isolated French corps but that's about it. Fighting France gives him PP, loses you PP, and wipes out your army. None of that is to your advantage.

The advantage of the first approach is that you lose minimal PPs, maintain your income and can go back to pursuing other goals immediately. The disadvantage is that France will be back for a few more PPs as soon as it's convenient for him. Spain can afford to lose those PPs to France, but it makes winning a lot harder.

The advantage to the second approach is that you deter France from hitting you every couple of years. You can seriously hurt him, and with naval movement you might be able to get some PP by hitting those isolated French corps. The disadvantages is that your fleet is now at Britain's mercy, and you'll be spending a lot of time doing little but making other countries' lives easier.

I don't see why getting you're corps off the map, garrisoning all capitals, and letting the guerillas bleed the French is necessarily such a bad plan. The only important thing is to conserve the fleet, and some sort of army.

(in reply to McGuire)
Post #: 18
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/10/2006 3:31:57 AM   
Sardonic

quote:

ORIGINAL: McGuire

quote:

Sorry to disagree, but winning the game is NOT the point!
Who ever wins or loses - I don't care as long as it's fun!
OK! If I'm the one to win AND I have fun - even better!

But I sure as heck won't have an ouce of fun just sitting back and waiting for the economic manipulation to win the game for me!

If I fight, I might lose! If I do diplomacy, I might get into some situation!
But from my point of view: THAT'S THE GAME!
And not chickening out to every side....

Run away?

I advocate fighting the french, how is that running away?
I just dont advocate feeding them political points.
City Garrison can surrender w Honors Of War
You will get them back.

However, there are advantages to helping England. Unless the English simply decide to be unpleasant.

(in reply to McGuire)
Post #: 19
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/10/2006 11:26:43 AM   
Murat

quote:

You will get them back.

At attacker's option, not yours. In the case of your Spain, I would kill them.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 20
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/10/2006 12:54:25 PM   
Sardonic

quote:

quote:

You will get them back.

At attacker's option, not yours. In the case of your Spain, I would kill them.

I believe that there is an option to surrender before the die roll. Possibly w/o the honors.
In any case, you wont get any PP for killing naked troops.
THAT is the whole point.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 21
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/12/2006 10:09:18 PM   
Murat

Well yes, you can surrender (only certain factors) but then those units are out of the war until you make peace and the more you surrender, the less likely you are getting conditional.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 22
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/12/2006 11:17:39 PM   
hlj

quote:

This is an example of you breaking the rules

quote:

You can only allow england to use your fleets if you combine move with him and YOU move your fleets as england wishes

quote:

This strategy depends on you playing with certain optional rules. and a less honest player in charge of another major power, might just declare war on you and laugh when you are forced to surrender to him also without him having to deploy any troops.

quote:

No, there is no reason to have a field battle with him, nor is there any reason to fight with your fortress'es. Other than making sure that france is not forced to take his winnings in the peace terms because you made him go into a verry unprofitable war.(I know you dont force france to attack you when you are spain, but the french need for VP usualy forces him to attack, and in my experience he WILL take it personal if you make him fight an 11 month war without any VP gained for him exept the ones for the unconditional surrender and those from a possible royal marriage) If I played france and spain pulled a no fight war on me, I would choose to take his army first time round or his garrisions whereever I could get the most factors, then I would choose 3 provinces to make my seccond grab at spain a little easier, and then I would take his economy to make rebuilding hard for him. in all of the following surrenders he didnt fight me I would probably take Royal marriage money and fleets, army or garrisions. Or more provinces if the rules allowed it.

quote:

To make him settle for a conditional surrender

quote:

Not if they starve in the siege, nor if France select to remove your garrisions as a peace term(he cant take them all, but a spain not fighting doesnt have much manpower)

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 23
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/13/2006 2:06:02 AM   
Sardonic

No, there is no reason to have a field battle with him, nor is there any reason to fight with your fortress'es. Other than making sure that france is not forced to take his winnings in the peace terms because you made him go into a verry unprofitable war.(I know you dont force france to attack you when you are spain, but the french need for VP usualy forces him to attack, and in my experience he WILL take it personal if you make him fight an 11 month war without any VP gained for him exept the ones for the unconditional surrender and those from a possible royal marriage) If I played france and spain pulled a no fight war on me, I would choose to take his army first time round or his garrisions whereever I could get the most factors, then I would choose 3 provinces to make my seccond grab at spain a little easier, and then I would take his economy to make rebuilding hard for him. in all of the following surrenders he didnt fight me I would probably take Royal marriage money and fleets, army or garrisions. Or more provinces if the rules allowed it.
****************************************************************************************************

This is to be expected, and so what? The point is to make sure France doesnt get PP. That is the sole point.
If he doesnt get them from you, if he intends to win, he will need to go get them somewhere.

You see in MY view, France can always leave you alone. That is an option.

(in reply to hlj)
Post #: 24
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/14/2006 6:48:29 PM   
Roads

I don't think France can AFFORD to take it personally. Of course if you force him to take the whole country he will demand unconditional, and will choose the most onerous (for Spain) conditions. But if you've shown that you're willing to engage in a 11 month war just to cost him PPs he's going to have to think twice before attacking again. He can't afford to commit a large chunk of his army to get 4 PP in a year. If he wants to take it personally and come back for another dosage of a long profitless war let him. Two such wars will make it very difficult for France to win the game without preventing Spain from winning.

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 25
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/15/2006 2:29:12 PM   
vallu751

With the risk of annoying many people, I have to say I agree with Sardonic and Roads.

I've played a few full campaigns of EIA, even though they take a week if played continuously, or more than a year with weekly turns. In my opinion, those games have suffered from people who make instant surrenders to aggressors who seem more powerful than they are. Those instant surrenders change the nature of the game to a bluffing game with very little real action at all. Perhaps some people prefer it that way, but I'd generally welcome the sight of an Austerlitz or a prolonged Spanish campaign, or whatever might happen. Instead of a country just surrendering the instant another country declares war on it. Can you imagine a historical Russia surrendering in 1812 without a single Frenchman crossing their border?

If you don't do an instant surrender, the best bet for Spain against France is to hide your factors in cities or places France can't access. Then you watch their coffers run dry and their army elsewhere be smaller while they run their corps around your pretty country. France occupies Madrid, so what? They did so in real life too. That's no reason to stop using guerilla tactics. Teach those frog-eaters a lesson and make sure they know the cost/benefit of attacking your country is not good.

The game is won on political points and the easiest way to get them is victory in war and field combat. You deny these from an enemy by not surrendering and not fielding corps.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the game nowadays because fighting bravely for your country is not considered politically correct. I think there should be some sort of 'discount' for making a brave defensive stance. How come it is less prestigious for the mighty Austria-Hungary to fight Napoleon to the last man than it is to kneel on his whim?

(in reply to Roads)
Post #: 26
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/15/2006 5:08:56 PM   
Murat

Again, you are counting on only being able to lose 3 provinces. Without that optional rule, Spain forcing civil disorder ends the game for Spain.

(in reply to vallu751)
Post #: 27
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/15/2006 6:18:42 PM   
Joisey

I've never played the game without the "3 provinces only" option. Otherwise, I would think that Prussia and Austria would never recover from a defeat and end up carved up between France and Russia. And without the ressurected armies of Austria and Prussia later in the game, I don't think the coalition would ever be strong enough to seriously threaten France. That would make your games pretty predictable. Not to mention that those players in your group would have to sit out for the last half of the game. Not much fun.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 28
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/15/2006 7:13:11 PM   
Sardonic

quote:

Again, you are counting on only being able to lose 3 provinces. Without that optional rule, Spain forcing civil disorder ends the game for Spain.

Not only do I count on it, I use that knowledge.

Start w a DOW against England, on turn #2 Surrender Unconditionally to England.
England MUST accept that surrender, he gets no choice.

You allow HIM to pick the three provinces to lose. Presumably, with some negotiations.

Now you are immune to France AND for the entire game.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 29
RE: Odd Assumptions - 8/15/2006 8:23:12 PM   
Joisey

And then what? France doesn't need you for political points, the British have bigger fish to fry, and your economy is now seriously damaged with the loss of three provinces (Spain doesn't have many to start with), about 1/4 of your total. Assuming an average pick by the British player (i.e. not a sweetheart deal) you can expect to lose Galicia, Leon, and Old Castile. That brings your 32/16 economy down to 23/11 (Hey, almost exactly as poor as pathetic Turkey!), a reduction of about one third.

You are now perfectly postioned to defend against an attack by France that will never come (you've succeeded too well in making yourself not worth the effort) and in the meantime, are incapable of going on the offense against anyone. You certainly can't afford to replace cavalry losses. A couple of bad chit picks, and you could lose a war to Portugal!!

(in reply to Sardonic)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Odd Assumptions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI