Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RHS jap ship DD main guns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RHS jap ship DD main guns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RHS jap ship DD main guns - 8/21/2006 7:16:28 AM   
ReDDoN45

Got a question, propably someone can explain:

Why the Kagero´s, Yugumo´s and the Shimakaze use the 5"L/40 gun. Is it intended to represend the Type D barbettes of the 5"L/50 guns, which increased elevation to 75 degrees (as improvement over the C barbettes, which hat an elevation of 55 degrees). But if, why are these dp guns not created as an own slot (5"L/50m or something), and why these guns are attached to the Kagero class, which still historically fielded the 5"L/50 C-Type Barbettes with 55 degrees elevation and not to the Asashio class, which had exactly the same barbettes and guns (C-Type) as the Kagero class had, i.e. why the main armament of the Kagero and the Asashio is different in the scenarios, when actually it was not.

Is my information wrong or might this be a little error?

I´m referring the CVO and EOS scenarios.
Informations from book: "Destroyers of WW2"

Thanks!

Bis dat qui cito dat!
Post #: 1
RE: RHS jap ship DD main guns - 8/21/2006 11:18:21 AM   
el cid again

There are a number of different Japanese guns - see Naval Weapons of the Second World War for details on them all. We must use a simplified system due to slot limits.

Technically, 5 inch 50s are for destroyers, 5 inch 40s are for secondary guns on cruisers and battleships. Originally the 5 inch 50 was SP, and officially this was changed when it got more elevation in later marks. But it was too heavy, and its motors too weak, to permit proper slewing, particularly in elevation - to be effective in AAA. It was occasionally effective - as when Takishi Hara shot down a skip bomber - but it took peculiar tactics to make it so: he had to NOT turn the ship (eliminating the need to slew) and the target had to stay on a steady course (which its chosen tactic required). Normally, 5 inch 50s are not going to do the job.

In RHSEOS we adapted a trick historically done mostly on IJN CLs - Isuzu was actually turned into a CLAA using this trick - mounting the 5 inch 40.
Only we did it on destroyers. We did many other similar things. We mounted twin 3inch 60s in many places - and rarely (when the mount replaced was heavy enough) we mounted 100 mm guns (the best in Japan for AAA - and better than 5 inch anything for surface - more range - more weight of metal per unit time too). We also put the 40 mm Bofors in production sooner than history - electing a strait copy instead of the improvements Japan made - and they appear mid and late war.

I do not believe you will find any of this in CVO. If you see a 5 inch 40 in CVO - as on Isuzu - it really was there.

In EOS ships are often a DIFFERENT class - don't be confused by the use of the same name. We used the same names because they would have been used.

EDIT: Due to slot limitations, it appears that I used the 5 inch 40 to represent the DP 5 inch 50 - which isn't quite right. But to say the ships had no DP guns isn't quite right either. Its a compromise. The DDs won't get their full gunnery range. Further - this is WORSE than history - because my DP guns are limited to effective AA range - not to SP effective range.

Truth is a problem: the stock and CHS system lets a gun be used to full surface range - against planes! That is nonsense (at max range elevation of the shell is zero). Even my system is an overstatement - you cannot shoot full effective ceiling at full effective AA range either. Yet against a surface target the range is much greater - typically more than half again as great. But at long ranges hits are less likely - so I decided to compromise and get the AAA closer to right. In RHS all AAA weapons have the same range as they do altitude - and remember range is in thousands of yards while altitudes are in thousands of feet.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 8/21/2006 11:27:40 AM >

(in reply to ReDDoN45)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RHS jap ship DD main guns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI