Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/14/2006 9:32:06 AM   
Amaroq

quote:

ORIGINAL: motnahp
(2) Add the ability to make "cash-for-player" transactions, or waiver signings.

I'd like to see waivers, certainly.

For 'cash', in the current build I've manually added cash as a consideration by using the 'Edit Region' button, and manually modifying the two teams' available budgets. Its not (quite) the same thing - but if your concern is for multiplayer leagues, your commisioner could certainly make that work. (Major-league player for cash plus a single-A prospect, say)

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 211
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/14/2006 3:22:38 PM   
lynchjm24

I think a move towards a financial structure that has

0$ for Minor leaguers
League Min for 3 years
Some arbitration for 3 years
Then free agency

would be a move. This might even help the AI - as it doesn't really build much for the future with potential - the fact that high potential players would be less expensive, unlike now where a player can get very expensive because of the high potential rating even if they have very little experience.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 212
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/15/2006 12:10:25 AM   
ravinhood

ANIMATED GRAPICS and VOICE commentary. ;) Lol Puresim I know this is asking more than you can produce. But, text based is borrrrrrringgggg to me. ;) Even if it were something like MicroLeague Baseball that would be a plus. ;) Oh and improve the AI trading and buying free agents sytems add AGE into the equation. I'm tired of seeing dying superstars getting millions in their last year or years of play when they are on the decline. ;)

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 213
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/15/2006 12:18:07 AM   
SittingDuck

who's that hottie, ravinhood?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 214
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/16/2006 8:00:23 PM   
Paul Vebber

On the ratings changing within the season thing - my take on it is that you don't want to actually change the ratings, but what you want are a number of different "variation curves" over the course of the season. This would take a LOT of work for real players (though perhaps could be automated from the Lahman DB), and for some it may be Bill James is right and its just all random statistical fluctuaaion. But I've been a fan long enough to see several patterns that repeat for players - and several "trajectories" that variation at least seems to take. THis could be an interesting option for generated player teams, or as a "random option" added to real players.

What I mean by "trajectory is - one of more of the following:

1) Pure random - the guy stays "consistently inconsistent" over teh course of the season with streaks and slumps falling where the may.
2) The "hot starter" - these guys play 5-10% over their heads in April and may and then tail off, often slumping in August and september in some aspect of his game.
3) the "hot finisher" - those guys the play under expectation the begining of the season and heat up later on. Opposit eof the hot starter.
4) the mid season slumper, a "full sign wave" from hot to troubled back to hot again.
5) the mid season sparkplug, starts and ends lackadasically, but catche fire in June and July.
6) the Roller coaster - the "multiple sinewave" guy that goes from streak to slump like a yo-yo.

You don't modify the stats permanently, you overlay a variation over time on. That to me is the "missing piece". They would not be applied accross the board to ALL a players stats, just a subset. And different stats might have different trajetories.

These sort of "seasonal variations about the mean" could be overall sloped slightly positive, or slightly negative, or overlaid with a shallower sign fucntion that could be driven by teammates performace or some added personality traits to get a model for "team Chemistry" that has "feedback" but tends to be sinusoidal about a mean and hence "statistically neutral" stats wise, but reflects a reality that attention to the stats can key to (and the computer managers can be allowed to "guess right on purpose" at times if the AI manager is "good enough".

Complicated, but mathematically not that difficuly and potentially a way to add that "intangible" that allows teams to sometimes "play over their heads" because they synch up at the right time of the season and the manager reconizes it and rides along.

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 8/16/2006 8:05:18 PM >

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 215
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/16/2006 9:32:28 PM   
Amaroq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber
my take on it is that you don't want to actually change the ratings, but what you want are a number of different "variation curves" over the course of the season.

I wouldn't want to be paraphrased as saying that.

I'm actually thinking that, for players who are in the 'rapid growth' or 'rapid decline' stages of their careers, that I want the ratings to change over the course of the season. I want it to be possible for three months of AAA to be what is needed for a guy to really acquire the polish needed to succeed in the bigs; I want a *reason* that my April, July, September, and post-season rosters might *need* to be different.

However, your idea has brilliant merit of its own, and in fact most of those patterns could be represented with sine waves of different period and amplitude.

I think that, overlaid, those two together might create a very good model.

Obviously, the 'Lahman' question is problematic, and I imagine that there would be players who want to turn either or both off entirely (either for performance reasons, or for preference reasons).

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 216
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/17/2006 12:17:53 AM   
SittingDuck

ok, i can see all that looking good.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 217
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/18/2006 1:59:14 AM   
SittingDuck

17 ballpark vectors!

Building the historical 60's ballparks, I realize just how completely vital this is, and it will give us a much more honest physics model for statistics.

Post #: 218
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/18/2006 11:21:08 PM   
HighandOutside1

The only things stopping me from making the complete switch to Puresim from OOTP are some of the mechanics missing in this game. Note: These observations come from just playing around with the demo and they could be wrong. 

1. To me the most important part of a baseball simulation is the in-game experience. To that end, I'd like to see the picture, player and line-up cards emphasize stats much more than ratings. DMB and OOTP 6.5 do this well.

2. I'd love the option to toggle off ratings completely. I want to learn about players through their stats. Billy Beane doesn't have ratings, he makes his choices based on a players statistical history.  

3. I don't see a bunt rating, GB% for pitchers or a pull/spray rating for hitters. These ratings can be important for setting up a team to suit a particular stadium and they just add depth to the game.

4. I'd like to see a "warm up pitchers" option. This dramatically adds to strategy.

5. I'd like to see the option to have the base coach's completely control baserunning. A manager does not tell a baserunner when to tag. The base coaches do this. It would be cool if I could toggle the aggresiveness based on the situation however. For example, late in the game I may want to signal to my coaches to be more aggressive.

Overall, a fantastic game. I hope shaun decides to continue to strengthen the little things, rather than trying to add huge new features. We saw what trying to bite off more than one can chew did to OOTP.   

< Message edited by HighandOutside1 -- 8/18/2006 11:24:52 PM >

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 219
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/18/2006 11:34:40 PM   
SittingDuck

Really good suggestions.  #5 is very unique and I like the concept.  I also think you'd want to add a baserunning attitude to each player - aggressive, passive, idiotic, whatever.  That in conjuction with the baserunning coaches are good stuff.  I think that would be a major step up for game management.

I also agree totally with #3, and we had talked about the GB% thing in another thread.  It's an important part of understanding a pitcher type, in lieu of pitch types thrown (sinker, curve, etc).

Warm-up pitchers!  One of the smartest things about FPS BBpro!  Yes indeed.

I like the route of being capable of turning off ratings.  I think this would be a strong option for some owners.  I personally look at the 'ratings' as a stripped down numerical sum of what the coaching/scouting staff has determined on the player.  Without ratings or some type of verbiage feedback, you are actually working with less than any manager ever has, Beane included.  Because he does have feedback and assessments to look at, as well as HS/College stats.  Some have talked about having amateurs with school stats and it is an interesting concept.  But basically, you must have something.  Even for a 35 yo HoF slugger, there is still spring training and the eyes-on assessment that a manager has.  We can't get this via a computer game.

But absolutely great suggestions.  I hope many, if not all, become a part of the game.

(in reply to HighandOutside1)
Post #: 220
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/19/2006 12:00:34 AM   
rpommier

I especially like warming up pitchers... I just hope the features don't overwhelm the simplicity of PureSim. The myriad of options really turned me off from OOTP. There is a such thing as too much information, I wouldn't be gunning for OOTP's audience. They seem to be going the way of Championship Manager.

Post #: 221
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/19/2006 12:08:53 AM   
Paul Vebber

I concur with warming up pitchers, in reality you never really have a choice between moe than two relievers, and they need an out or two to get warm. Assuming that he pitching coach always has the guy you want warm when you want im is BIIIIIIG "IF".

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 222
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/20/2006 4:49:13 PM   
SpharV2

One thing I'd like to see next year is for the hit animation to add a bit more randomness. I love the feature, and for the first couple of seasons of play, it really added some suspense, but by now, I've gotten to the point where within half a second of the hit, I can call whether it's going to be a hit or an out. Barring errors of course. Drops on foul balls, so sitting through those foul animations can have just a bit of suspense.

I think I've already mentioned the additions I'd like to see for park layouts. We definitely need more outfield points to build walls with, and I'd like to see foul territory added as this makes a huge difference in some ballparks.

And I know I mentioned more resolution options...please please add more resoloution options. :)

Oh yes, one more thing. I'd like the ability to set up a personal catcher for a pitcher. That would let me get my main catcher get more regular rest than my current system of platooning catchers without having to go in every fifth day and changing them out.

< Message edited by SpharV2 -- 8/20/2006 5:27:03 PM >

Post #: 223
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/20/2006 7:48:38 PM   
SittingDuck

If not mentioned already:

Filters for Team and League Hitting stats that removes pitchers

(in reply to SpharV2)
Post #: 224
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/24/2006 3:51:49 AM   
SittingDuck

Global Team Info screen

Where I can see things like # of players/pitchers/trade interest, etc.  Should probably be one where you can choose various filters.

I cannot tell you how powerful this would be for understanding the state of an association.  And cut down on some serious carpel tunnel syndrome.

Post #: 225
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/29/2006 7:13:49 AM   
henry296

Minor league injuries.  Perhaps make it an option for those with 35 man associations.

Also, do injuries impact career arcs?  If a player gets a major arm injury will it slow their development?

Post #: 226
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/29/2006 12:45:06 PM   
motnahp

This request applies to real players imported from the Lahman dB. I would love an option where AI considers the player's REAL LIFE ABs or IPs when making roster moves and deciding lineups and rotations. IMHO, this would result in more accurate results. The user (or programmer ) could assign each player a percentage of team at-bats or innings pitched. An endurance/condition penalty could be imposed on the players exceeding their percentages.

The real benefit to this system is that users who play one season or multiple seasons with real players can let the AI take over for awhile, with the reassurance that ALL of the actual players will see some playing time.

(in reply to henry296)
Post #: 227
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/29/2006 1:44:54 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: henry296

Minor league injuries.  Perhaps make it an option for those with 35 man associations.

Also, do injuries impact career arcs?  If a player gets a major arm injury will it slow their development?

Yes, major injuries have a chance of impeding development.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to henry296)
Post #: 228
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/30/2006 2:23:38 AM   
33sherman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

I'm actually thinking that, for players who are in the 'rapid growth' or 'rapid decline' stages of their careers, that I want the ratings to change over the course of the season. I want it to be possible for three months of AAA to be what is needed for a guy to really acquire the polish needed to succeed in the bigs; I want a *reason* that my April, July, September, and post-season rosters might *need* to be different.

Well put. Sometimes I have a rookie who I think is ready after spring training, but craps out for some reason, so I send him back to the minors. Then a couple months later a spot opens up due to injury, but then I figure why bother bring him back up to the bigs if the two months in the minors won't be reflected until next spring. Of course there's a chance that he could randomly be better, but it's not the same as knowing that his ratings might have actually improved (or not improved, for some reason).

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 229
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/30/2006 7:09:56 PM   
HighandOutside1

I know this probably won't make it high on most people's list, but I must say that having gone back and played DMB last night I am completely in love with pitch-by-pitch mode. The in-game experience is the guts of the game for me and pitch-by-pitch mode adds a whole new dimension of realism and strategy to the game. DMB does it very, very well. Whole innings change when the pitcher starts to lose command. Batters get ahead in counts and hit better. The whole flow of the game just feels right, as each at bat becomes its own story. I know most people want more exciting features, but I just thought that I would add this as a hope for the future add-on to PS.  

(in reply to 33sherman)
Post #: 230
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/30/2006 8:39:03 PM   
Woodruff

I find myself in agreement with HighandOutside...I've always been a "pitch by pitch" kind of guy myself.

(in reply to HighandOutside1)
Post #: 231
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/30/2006 8:56:09 PM   
PadresFan104

Well, Shaun's game engine does already simulate every pitch, so I wouldn't think it's outside the realm of possibility....

(in reply to Woodruff)
Post #: 232
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/30/2006 11:51:40 PM   
SittingDuck

Well, I'll throw this in for another perspective.  Yes, it would be nice if pitch-by-pitch was an option; however, in OOTP2006 it is not an option - it must be pitch by pitch.  And there are plenty of owners who hate that there is no decisive pitch mode.

So at best, I'd like to see options for both.  This is, of course, what FPS BBPro had originally - the option to do either.  And I trust the game engine for decisive-pitch mode. 

I think there are advocates of each mode.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 233
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/31/2006 6:40:17 AM   
henry296

Customize playoff structure.  If I want wild cards with a 2 league association let me do it.   If I want to make the wild card round best of 7, I'd like that as an option too.

Post #: 234
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/31/2006 2:12:53 PM   
Paul Vebber

As an alternative to individual pitch by pitch I'd like to be able to "sim to pitch count" a selector that lets me select pitch counts where as manager I'd like "do something" given the situation on the field. If the count goes to 0-2 or 1-2 I may not care, but if it goes to 3-0 or 3-1 I may just want to IBB or shift to a pitch out. Or take a pitch around off if it goes to 2-2. Or take the infield back out in a bun situation that goes to 1-2, etc...

I can see how some people would like pitch-by-pitch, I'd like the opportnity to make "on the fly" managing decision during an at bat without having to watch every pitch of a 12 pitch AB were a guy keeps fouling off 2-2 pitches.

This could allow a few other commands like "protect the plate" in 2 strike situations where you give up the chance of long hits, increases the chances of ground balls and fouls but reduces the chance o striking out. "Hit to Pull", "Hit to Hole" or "Go long" with advantages and disatvantages to take advantage of situations. Defensiely more fielding options like overshifts, shading to pull, pitchers "challanging batter" maybe using "two pitches" worth of endurance and the dreaded "go after"

Organizationally I want balanced 30 team orgs (6 - 5 team divisions)

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 8/31/2006 2:21:41 PM >

(in reply to henry296)
Post #: 235
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/31/2006 8:41:29 PM   
Woodruff

Much agreement with your thoughts, Paul. That sounds even better than pitch-by-pitch, since I could have it that way if I wanted it anyway.

More flexibility is a good thing, in my opinion.

Post #: 236
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 9/26/2006 5:13:07 PM   
playball335

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpharV2

One thing I'd like to see next year is for the hit animation to add a bit more randomness. I love the feature, and for the first couple of seasons of play, it really added some suspense, but by now, I've gotten to the point where within half a second of the hit, I can call whether it's going to be a hit or an out. Barring errors of course. Drops on foul balls, so sitting through those foul animations can have just a bit of suspense.

I think I've already mentioned the additions I'd like to see for park layouts. We definitely need more outfield points to build walls with, and I'd like to see foul territory added as this makes a huge difference in some ballparks.

And I know I mentioned more resolution options...please please add more resoloution options. :)

Oh yes, one more thing. I'd like the ability to set up a personal catcher for a pitcher. That would let me get my main catcher get more regular rest than my current system of platooning catchers without having to go in every fifth day and changing them out.

I would love to have an in game animation system like the old pageone sports baseball (you could use custom stadium graphics, but 2D players actually moved about it). Here is an example of the config screen where you could size and rotate the stadium.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SpharV2)
Post #: 237
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 9/27/2006 12:06:06 AM   
steelfingers

Would love to warm up pitchers in the bullpen.

(in reply to playball335)
Post #: 238
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 9/27/2006 12:08:07 AM   
steelfingers

I think it was mentioned previously, but the ability to Drag and Drop players into their slots on the roster would really help ease management.  Right now, the 'one click... oops' thing has messed me up more than I would like to admit

(in reply to steelfingers)
Post #: 239
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 9/27/2006 12:12:56 AM   
steelfingers

Lifetime stats of Batter/Pitcher matchups.  I hear 'em all the time on the radio broadcasts and see 'em on the games.  Adds some color and history to the matchup.

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI