Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Famous quotes from American Civil War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Famous quotes from American Civil War Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/17/2006 1:59:15 PM   
marecone

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it."
Robert E. Lee

I did read somwhere that you want quotes for the openning screen of the game. This is mine. I always liked it and plus it seems to me that is is suitable for the computer game that deals with ACW.
Also, other members, please post quotes from civil war period here. For the game, but also for all of us.

Godspeed,

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest
Post #: 1
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/17/2006 2:05:42 PM   
marecone

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."
Nathan Bedford Forrest
Adress to his troops at the end of the war

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 2
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/17/2006 2:10:43 PM   
marecone

"Get there first with the most!"
and
"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."
Nathan Bedford Forrest

Now that is one hell of a commander!

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 3
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/18/2006 12:30:50 AM   
Gil R.

Marecone, thanks for starting the thread. My plan was to solicit suggestions for quotes we missed once the game comes out, which could then be added in a patch. But there's no harm with people sharing their favorites -- in fact, it's sort of fun.

For the opening screen "flavor" quotes we're not just going to have maxims like "Get there first with the most!", but also longer quotes that set the mood. Some examples I'm already planning to include:

Pres. Jefferson Davis (Inaugural Address): “This great strife has awakened in the people the highest emotions and qualities of the human soul. It is cultivating feelings of patriotism, virtue, and courage. Instances of self-sacrifice contending are rife throughout the land. Never has a people evinced a more determined spirit than that now animating men, women, and children in every part of our country. Upon the first call, the men fly to arms; and wives and mothers send their husbands and sons to battle without a murmur of regret.”

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (Memorial Day speech, 1884): “[T]he generation that carried on the war has been set apart by its experience. Through our great good fortune, in our youth our hearts were touched with fire. It was given to us to learn at the outset that life is a profound and passionate thing. While we are permitted to scorn nothing but indifference, and do not pretend to undervalue the worldly rewards of ambition, we have seen with our own eyes, beyond and above the gold fields, the snowy heights of honor, and it is for us to bear the report to those who come after us.

Unknown survivor of the siege at Battery Wagner: “I have heard the preachers talk about Hell, a great big hole, full of fire and brimstone, where a bad fellow was dropped in, and I will allow it used to move me at times, but Gentlemen, Hell can’t be worse than Battery Wagner. I have got out of that, and the other place ain’t going to worry me any more!"

T.L. Livermore (1st N.H. Infantry, at White Oak Swamp): “The enemy’s fire was unremitting, and from noon until nearly dark we endured the slow torture of seeing our comrades killed, mangled, and torn around us, while we could not fire a shot, as our business was to lie and wait to repel attacks and protect our batteries. With every discharge of the enemy’s guns, the shells would scream over our heads and bury themselves in the woods beyond, burst over us and deal death in the ranks, or ricochet over the plain, killing whenever they struck a line."

Former Pres. John Tyler (letter to wife): “Well, my dearest one, Virginia has severed her connection with the Northern hive of abolitionists, and takes her stand as a sovereign and independent State... The die is thus cast, and her future in the hands of the god of battle. The contest into which we enter is one full of peril, but there is a spirit abroad in Virginia which cannot be crushed until the life of the last man is trampled out. The numbers opposed to us are immense; but twelve thousand Grecians conquered the whole power of Xerxes at Marathon, and our fathers, a mere handful, overcame the enormous power of Great Britain." [As a classics professor, I like this one especially.]

John M. Botts (a Virginian conflicted over his state’s secession): “I could not willingly take up arms against a Union that I have been taught and accustomed to adore, as indispensable to my own liberties, and I never will raise my hand against my native State, although her arm had ever been against me and mine.”

Captain (later Brig. Gen.) Samuel J. Crawford, U.S.A.: “When in trouble, charge!”

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 8/18/2006 12:40:56 AM >

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 4
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/18/2006 7:04:34 PM   
marecone

Forrest's Final Address To His Troops

HEADQUARTERS FORREST'S CAVALRY CORPS,
Gainesville, Ala., May 9, 1865.

SOLDIERS: By an agreement made between Lieutenant-General Taylor, commanding the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana, and Major-General Canby, commanding U.S. forces, the troops of this department have been surrendered. I do not think it proper or necessary at this time to refer to the causes which have reduced us to this extremity, nor is it now a matter of material consequence to us how such results were brought about. That we are beaten is a self-evident fact, and any further resistance on our part would be justly regarded as the very height of folly and rashness. The armies of Generals Lee and Johnston having surrendered, you are the last of all the troops of the C. S. Army east of the Mississippi River to lay down your arms. The cause for which you have so long and so manfully struggled, and for which you have braved dangers, endured privations and sufferings, and made so many sacrifices, is to-day hopeless. The Government which we sought to establish and perpetuate is at an end. Reason dictates and humanity demands that no more blood be shed. Fully realizing and feeling that such is the case, it is your duty and mine to lay down our arms, submit to the "powers that be," and to aid in restoring peace and establishing law and order throughout the land. The terms upon which you were surrendered are favorable, and should be satisfactory and acceptable to all. They manifest a spirit of magnanimity and liberality on the part of the Federal authorities which should be met on our part by a faithful compliance with all the stipulations and conditions therein expressed. As your commander, I sincerely hope that every officer and soldier of my command will cheerfully obey the orders given and carry out in good faith all the terms of the cartel.
Those who neglect the terms and refuse to be paroled may assuredly expect when arrested to be sent North and imprisoned. Let those who are absent from their commands, from whatever cause, report at once to this place or to Jackson, Miss.; or, if too remote from either, to the nearest U.S. post or garrison for parole. Civil war, such as you have just passed through, naturally engenders feelings of animosity, hatred, and revenge. It is our duty to divest ourselves of all such feelings, and so far as in our power to do so to cultivate friendly feelings toward those with whom we have so long contested and heretofore so widely but honestly differed. Neighborhood feuds, personal animosities, and private differences should be blotted out, and when you return home a manly, straightforward course of conduct will secure the respect even of your enemies. Whatever your responsibilities may be to Government, to society, or to individuals, meet them like men. The attempt made to establish a separate and independent confederation has failed, but the consciousness of having done your duty faithfully and to the end will in some measure repay for the hardships you have undergone. In bidding you farewell, rest assured that you carry with you my best wishes for your future welfare and happiness. Without in any way referring to the merits of the cause in which we have been engaged, your courage and determination as exhibited on many hard-fought fields has elicited the respect and admiration of friend and foe. And I now cheerfully and gratefully acknowledge my indebtedness to the officers and men of my command, whose zeal, fidelity, and unflinching bravery have been the great source of my past success in arms. I have never on the field of battle sent you where I was unwilling to go myself, nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue. You have been good soldiers, you can be good citizens. Obey the laws, preserve your honor, and the Government to which you have surrendered can afford to be and will be magnanimous.

N. B. FORREST,
Lieutenant-General.

< Message edited by marecone -- 8/18/2006 7:07:03 PM >

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/18/2006 8:54:40 PM   
NCrawler

It's good to see another fan of General Forrest. If the Army of Tennessee had had better army commanders, Gen Forrest and General Cleburne would have been nearly unstoppable.

Jon

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 6
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/19/2006 12:25:52 AM   
marecone

Amen to that, NCrawler.

< Message edited by marecone -- 8/19/2006 9:09:56 AM >

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to NCrawler)
Post #: 7
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/19/2006 2:08:38 AM   
jimwinsor

"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way; they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."

-- Union Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick, Battle of Spotsylvania, May 9 1864

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 8
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/30/2006 5:27:08 AM   
Williamb

General Bernard Bee at the battle of Bull Run I

"There stands Jackson like a stone wall rally around the Virginians !"

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 9
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/30/2006 4:44:51 PM   
TexHorns

As told by Shelby Foote in his Civil War trilogy, paraphrased by me;

A Union officer was riding through a Virginia town while his troops marched through. He was an avid reader of literature. At that time a new book had just been published called "Les' Miserables". As he passed through the town he noticed an attractive southern belle standing on her porch watching the hated Federals march through her town. In an effort to start up a conversation with the lady, he asked her if she had seen "Les' Miserables". Her reply......." No, but I sure see a whole bunch of Grant's miserables!"

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 10
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 8/30/2006 5:31:45 PM   
Houtje

"He has lost his left arm, but I have lost my right arm." R.E. Lee on Stonewall Jackson, the latter having being shot by friendly fire at Chancellorsville battle.

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 11
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/2/2006 4:26:31 AM   
eastemnet

Alright, I have a few:

Sullivan Ballou (In a letter):

"My very dear Sarah,

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days-perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I am no more.

I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans on the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing-perfectly willing-to lay down all the joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.

Sarah, my love for you is deathless. It seems to bind me with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most grateful to God and to you that I have enjoyed them for so long. How hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when, God willing, we might still have lived and loved together, and seen our sons grown up to honorable manhood around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me-perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar, that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and that when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name. Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often times been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness.

But, oh Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the gladdest days and in the darkest nights...always, always. And if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath, and as the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by. Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for me, for we shall meet again."

(For this the italisized part would make the most sence to Quote in game terms)

Walt Whitman:

"I see the President almost every day. I see very plainly Abraham Lincoln's dark brown face with its deep-cut lines, the eyes always to me with a deep latent sadness in the expression. None of the artists or pictures has caught the deep, though subtle and indirect expression of this man's face. There is something else there. One of the great portrait painters of two or three centuries ago is needed."

Frederick Douglass:

"In thinking of America, I sometimes find myself admiring her bright blue sky-her grand old woods-her fertile fields-her beautiful rivers-her mighty lakes and star-crowned mountains.

But my rapture is soon checked when I remember that all is cursed with the infernal spirit of slave-holding and wrong; When I remember that with the waters of her noblest rivers, the tears of my brethren are borne to the ocean, disregarded and forgotten; That her most fertile fields drink daily of the warm blood of my outraged sisters, I am filled with unutterable loathing.

I stand before you today a thief and a robber. I stole this head, this body, these limbs, and ran off with them.
John Brown's zeal in the cause of freedom was infinitely superior to mine. Mine was as the taper light; his was as the burning sun. I could live for the slave; John Brown could die for him.

The American people and the Government at Washington may refuse to recognize it for a time but the inexorable logic of events will force it upon them in the end; that the war now being waged in this land is a war for and against slavery.

Viewing the man from the genuine abolishionist ground, Mr. Lincoln seemed cold, tardy, weak and unequal to the task. But, viewing him from the sentiments of his people, which as a statesman he was bound to respect, then his actions were swift, bold, radical and decisive.

Taking the man in the whole, balancing the tremendous magnitude of the situation, and the necessary means to ends, Infinite Wisdom has rarely sent a man into the world more perfectly suited to his mission than Abraham Lincoln."

(I would be very surprised if you could not find something usefull here)

Jefferson Davis used these words in his inaugural speech on February 16, 1861:

"The time for compromise has now passed, and the South is determined to maintain her position, and make all who oppose her smell Southern powder and feel Southern steel."

I particularly like these two quotes from Sam Houston:

"In the name of the constitution of Texas, which has been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath. I love Texas too well to bring civil strife and bloodshed upon her."

"Let me tell you what is coming. After the sacrifice of countless millions of treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives you may win Southern independence, but I doubt it. The North is determined to preserve this Union. They are not a fiery, impulsive people as you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction, they move with the steady momentum and perseverance of a mighty avalanche."

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 12
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/2/2006 3:42:56 PM   
TexHorns

eastemnet, I have the CD for Burns' Civil War documentary that contains the music and some passages on it from the series. The Sullivan Bullou letter is one of the spoken passages on that cd. I can hardly listen to it without getting a lump in my throat and having to swallow hard to choke back a tear.

(in reply to eastemnet)
Post #: 13
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/2/2006 11:54:41 PM   
Gil R.

Eastemnet,
Thanks! Those are all quite good. I might have had the soldier's letter already, but can't remember -- I've read so many letters at this point. I've seen the Whitman quote before but had forgotten about it. I think I might include that, as well as the second Sam Houston quote. The Douglass quote is too long, but I might be able to excerpt part. I know I have something by Douglass already, but this quote is worth including, if possible.

(in reply to eastemnet)
Post #: 14
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/3/2006 1:30:09 AM   
eastemnet

Your welcome.

I decided to look around some more. Perhaps you could use bits of Civil War era songs for quotes?

All Quiet Along the Patomac:

"All quiet along the Potomac," they say,
Except now and then a stray picket
Is shot as he walks on his beat to and fro,
By a rifleman hid in the thicket.
'Tis nothing. A private or two now and then
Will not count in the news of the battle;
Not an officer lost. Only one of the men
Moaning out all alone the death rattle.

All quiet along the Potomac tonight,
Where the soldiers lie peacefully dreaming,
Their tents in the rays of the clear autumn moon,
O'er the light of the watch fires, are gleaming;
There's only the sound of the lone sentry's tread
As he tramps from the rock to the fountain,
And thinks of the two in the low trundle bed,
Far away in the cot on the mountain.

His musket falls slack, and his face, dark and grim,
Grows gentle with memories tender,
As he mutters a prayer for the children asleep,
For their mother, may Heaven defend her.
The moon seems to shine just as brightly as then
That night when the love yet unspoken
Leaped up to his lips when low-murmured vows
Were pledged to be ever unbroken.

Then drawing his sleeve roughly over his eyes,
He dashes off tears that are welling,
And gathers his gun closer up to its place
As if to keep down the heart-swelling.
He passes the fountain, the blasted pine tree,
The footstep is lagging and weary;
Yet onward he goes, through the broad belt of light,
Toward the shades of the forest so dreary.

Hark! Was it the night wind that rustled the leaves?
Was it moonlight so wondrously flashing?
It looks like a rifle -- "Ah! Mary, good-bye!"
And the lifeblood is ebbing and splashing.
All quiet along the Potomac tonight,
No sound save the rush of the river;
While soft falls the dew on the face of the dead --
The picket's off duty forever.

(Perhaps you could use one of the stanzas.)

I particularly like the last bit of "Tenting Tonight":

We've been fighting today on the old camp ground,
Many are lying near;
Some are dead, and some are dying,
Many are in tears.

Many are the hearts that are weary tonight,
Wishing for the war to cease;
Many are the hearts looking for the right,
To see the dawn of peace.
Dying tonight, dying tonight,
Dying on the old camp ground

Perhaps you could also use the last part of "The Minstrel Boy" also:

The minstrel boy will return one day,
When we hear the news, we will cheer it.
The minstrel boy will return we pray,
Torn in body, perhaps, but not in spirit.
Then may he play his harp in peace,
In a world such as Heaven intended,
For every quarrel of Man must cease,
And every battle shall be ended.

James Buchanan (to Lincoln):

"If you are as happy in entering the White House as I shall feel on returning to Wheatland, you are a happy man indeed."

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 15
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/3/2006 2:16:10 AM   
Gil R.

"All Quiet Along the Potomac" is one I had read, but I don't think I can find a good excerpt that's under 700 characters (our maximum). I might end up going with one of the other two, though.

Right now, in addition to parts of some poems, I have the following three excerpts from songs:

“In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea, / With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me: / As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free, / While God is marching on.” – Julia Ward Howe, “The Battle Hymn of the Republic”

“We are a band of brothers, and native to the soil, / Fighting for the property we gained by honest toil; / And when our rights were threatened, the cry rose near and far: / ‘Hurrah for the bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star! / Hurrah! hurrah! for the bonnie Blue Flag / That bears a single star.’” – Harry McCarthy, “The Bonnie Blue Flag”

“Just before the battle, mother, / I am thinking most of you; / While upon the field we are watching, / With the enemy in view. / Comrades brave are ‘round me lying, / Filled with thoughts of home and God; / For well they know upon the morrow / Some will sleep beneath the sod.” – George Root, “Just Before the Battle, Mother”

An aside: A friend of mine used to sing in a choir in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and he once told me that when they sang "Battle Hymn of the Republic" they would deliberately change the line to "As he died to make men holy, let us LIVE to make men free," since that way they wouldn't be endorsing war and violence. Of course, that completely does away with the brilliant parallel between the self-sacrifice of the Union soldiers and of Jesus, but that didn't seem to bother them.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 9/3/2006 2:21:46 AM >

(in reply to eastemnet)
Post #: 16
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/4/2006 6:41:22 AM   
TexHorns

Shouldn't this verse go like this?

"Hurrah! hurrah! For southern rights hurrah! / Hurrah for the bonnie Blue Flag / That bears a single star.’” – Harry McCarthy, “The Bonnie Blue Flag”

I'm not quoting this from anything, just going by memory.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 17
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/7/2006 3:34:25 AM   
eastemnet

I beleive Texhorns is right. What you have still seems a little odd Gil R. This is how I know Bonnie Blue Flag:

We are a band of brothers
And native to the soil
Fighting for our liberty
With treasure blood, and toil
And when our rights were threatened,
The cry rose near and far
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag
That bears a single star!

Hurrah!
Hurrah!
For Southern rights, hurrah!
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag
That bears a single star.

(You seem to have a different line than the one I have italisised. That is how I have always known it.)

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 18
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/7/2006 10:07:40 AM   
Gil R.

You're probably both right. The book I got this from -- Commager's "The Blue and The Gray" -- says there are many versions. I'll probably keep the one I have. After all, people can always modify the file if they prefer another...

(in reply to eastemnet)
Post #: 19
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/8/2006 1:25:01 AM   
TexHorns

Gil must be a Yankee. A southerner would never agree to leave out "for southern rights Hurrah" version!

(in reply to eastemnet)
Post #: 20
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/8/2006 4:20:34 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexHorns

Gil must be a Yankee. A southerner would never agree to leave out "for southern rights Hurrah" version!

Guilty. And a Yankees fan, to boot!

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 21
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/11/2006 7:57:55 AM   
TexHorns

I think the New York Yankees are just an extension of the harsh implementation of the Reconstruction Era!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 22
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/20/2006 9:53:08 PM   
Oldguard

If you want notable quotes, it's hard to beat Abe Lincoln.

"My concern is not whether God is on our side; my great concern is to be on God's side."

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

"Will you pardon me for asking what the horses of your army have done since the battle of Antietam that fatigues anything?" (to Gen. McClellan in 1862)

... also...

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance" - General John Sedgwick, moments before being shot dead by a confederate sniper at Spotsylvania.

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over." - Gen. W.T. Sherman

< Message edited by Oldguard -- 9/20/2006 9:54:54 PM >

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 23
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/21/2006 1:12:43 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks, Oldguard. Those are all good, and I especially like two of them. (Others might work their ways into some of the bios.)

(in reply to Oldguard)
Post #: 24
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/22/2006 10:46:45 PM   
sven6345789

How about a Joke (it is historical)

So Stonewall Jackson died and God send down his Angels to pick him up from the Grave and lift him up to heaven. The Angels came down and found his Grave. But Stonewall wasn't there. So they looked everywhere to find his Spirit but couldn't. Embarrassed, they returned to god to tell him about it, and when they reached Heaven, they found out that Gen. Jackson was already there. He had bypassed the Angels with a rapid flanking maneuver.

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 25
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/23/2006 4:31:52 AM   
Gil R.

I've heard that joke. Do you know if it dates back to the Civil War? If we're positive it does, that's a fine idea to use it.

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 26
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/24/2006 1:43:30 AM   
sven6345789

in fact it does. I heard it as a quote in Ken Burns "The american Civil War". It is read there as part of the diary of Mary Chesnut (checked it).

< Message edited by sven6345789 -- 9/25/2006 1:04:48 PM >

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 27
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/24/2006 6:52:59 AM   
m10bob

"There's them Black Hat fellers! It's the Army of the Potomac!"
-Unknown Southern soldier upon seeing the Iron Brigade,1st Division of the 1st Corps approaching at Gettysburg................

The Southern soldiers had been masterfully led by Gen R.E.Lee, and while going thru Maryland and Virgina, the intent had been to go completely around the Army of the Potomac, and until they saw "those Black Hat fellers", they thought they had done it, since Stuarts' cavalry failed to provide info to Lee.

< Message edited by m10bob -- 9/25/2006 1:37:57 AM >

Post #: 28
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/24/2006 10:52:32 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sven6345789

in fact it does. I heard it as a quote in Ken Burns "The american Civil War". It is read there as part of a diary (i am not sure but i do not think it was Mary Chesnut).

That must be where I heard it.

I've been meaning to track down a copy of the book that went with Burns's documentary to look for further quotes. I'll look for that one when I get the book.

Post #: 29
RE: Famous quotes from American Civil War - 9/25/2006 7:11:35 PM   
Oldguard

"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on." - Gen. U.S. Grant

"No other terms than unconditional and immediate surrender. I propose to move immediately upon your works."-- Grant to General Buckner at Fort Donelson, Feb. 16, 1862

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Famous quotes from American Civil War Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI