Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions for Shaun (1.37)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Questions for Shaun (1.37) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/12/2006 6:53:48 AM   
PadresFan104

Shaun,

Some questions now that I've had a chance to play a game with 1.37.

- I skipped 1.36, and don't see PanzersEast's screens that you added to the game in 1.37.

- Is the "Team Reports" -> "Player Ratings Changes" the place to go to see if there have been ratings changes, or will I get a popup?

- Is it possible that a players ratings can go back up after going down? Or is it a certainty that once a rating goes down, the player is on the decline?

- I have a pitcher who just went down with a 4 week injury. I put him on the 15 day DL with the intention of leaving him there for the full 28 days if I need to. Is there any penalty for putting a player on the shorter DL, or will he heal just as fast?

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/12/2006 2:59:35 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104
- I skipped 1.36, and don't see PanzersEast's screens that you added to the game in 1.37.

They are in there. Modify rosters, and in game Lineups.

quote:

- Is the "Team Reports" -> "Player Ratings Changes" the place to go to see if there have been ratings changes, or will I get a popup?

Yes but it only is updated yearly. There is no popup when ratings change in season, its up to you to watch player performance and react appropriately.

quote:

- Is it possible that a players ratings can go back up after going down? Or is it a certainty that once a rating goes down, the player is on the decline?

Yes, they can fluctuate a tad especially near the apex of a player's career arc.

quote:

- I have a pitcher who just went down with a 4 week injury. I put him on the 15 day DL with the intention of leaving him there for the full 28 days if I need to. Is there any penalty for putting a player on the shorter DL, or will he heal just as fast?

No penalty. Players heal faster when on the DL, period, regardless of the DL stint.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/12/2006 5:06:50 PM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

quote:

They are in there. Modify rosters, and in game Lineups.

Not for me though. Like I mentioned, I patched from 1.35 and the 1.37 installer didn't add these files to my HTML/Images folder. There might be a problem with the installation process. I'll just replace the files manually for the time being.

Thanks for the rest of the information. Another ratings question. Is the AI aware of the hidden ratings changes, or is it watching for trends like the human should be?

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/14/2006 9:54:45 AM   
33sherman

I can't tell how the AI is handling the ratings changes, but after playing two more seasons on 1.37 the AI on other teams seems to be making mostly correct decisions about who should be in the majors. I'm really enjoying the in-season ratings change feature. THe old statisitcal model was working well, but I feel like I'm getting more realistic variation and anomaly now. It's hard to describe.

Post #: 4
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/14/2006 6:21:14 PM   
rpommier

I like this feature too but have a question about the underpinnings of this feature.

What we have now are ratings that flucuate throughout the season. Is that good? Does a hitters strength flucuate throughout a season? Is what we have now a way to glean hidden ratings? If I have a guy with a 9 contact and he goes to 7 what does that mean? Is that a hidden rating being affected?

I can understand rating dropping because of an injury but not just out of the blue, unless the guy is in a slump. But again should I be able to tell he is in a slump by looking at the ratings?

Once again I like the feature I just can't wrap my head around the implications.

vr,
Roderick

Post #: 5
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/14/2006 8:50:55 PM   
Amaroq

Roderick - think of it this way...

Human beings slow down as they age.

Baseball players slow down as they age.

Does all of that slow-down occur during the off-season? Or does it make sense to see it occur gradually over the course of the year?

Young players learn as they gain experience.

Do they perform at one constant level their first season, and then a second constant level their second season? Or does it make sense to see them gradually improve over the course of the year?

So, on the last item, lets say a guy's "power" starts at a 9 in April, dips to a 7 in July, and comes back up to an 8 in September. How is that realistic?

Think of this as the player adjusting the mechanics of his swing - maybe at the start of the year he was coming through the plate at a 20-degree angle up, giving him a bit more power, but as the season progressed, he started coming through a bit more level, close to a 15-degree angle; this should generate less 'swing and miss' pitches, less home runs, and more singles and doubles. His power drops accordingly.

Real baseball, as any player will tell you, is all about adjustments.. the fluctuations reflect the different adjustments players are making. Its up to you to decide whether you think the drop from '9' to '7' represents a bad adjustment, or a permanent effect of aging..

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 6
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/15/2006 3:12:52 AM   
KG Erwin

If this is what we're gonna get, as Amaroq describes, then the "humanistic" approach, which is consistent with Shaun's overall vision, is fine with me. 

To me, apart from statistical approximations, establishing player personalities and giving human managers the tools to manipulate a player's progress by promoting or demoting him, is the heart of Pure Sim.  

This ability to give each player a personality is PART of what attracted me to Pure Sim in the first place.     

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/15/2006 3:22:55 AM   
rpommier

Thanks for giving me another perspective.  I guess anything the increase interaction with my squad can't be bad.  Thinking of the ratings in Amoraq's way changes things for me.  I can understand why the ratings could possibly change, I guess generalizations have to be made considering we can't actually see the players' performance.

Roderick

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/19/2006 7:36:46 PM   
Amaroq

You're welcome, guys.

Considering that real managers get a lot of feedback from coaches regarding batting practice, off-day workouts, etc, I think its 'reasonable' to consider the ratings changes for players on our teams 'feedback from the coaching staff'.

Ratings changes for players on other teams are a little harder to justify, but even there I think 'reputation' is something fans see, while the GM's probably do get more data about how players are playing, from scouts, from their coaches observing when they face a squad head-to-head, and even just from making phone calls to the network of people they know around the league.

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 9
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/23/2006 3:55:09 AM   
wlfcards

1.  I have some players who never fully recover after playing in a game..  1 player goes to fair after playing 1 game.
2.  Older players with speed of 1, but still have fielding range.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 10
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/23/2006 5:06:55 AM   
Woodruff

Check your players at the beginning of the season...they're not even getting to good status then! (At least, quite a number of mine aren't.)

Good point about the speed-vs-range thing. They should be SOMEWHAT different (the whole "gets a good jump on the ball" thing), but not THAT much.

(in reply to wlfcards)
Post #: 11
RE: Questions for Shaun (1.37) - 9/23/2006 8:55:59 AM   
wlfcards

On player card hit trade offer tab got "Run time error 3159 Not a valid bookmark"

(in reply to Woodruff)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Questions for Shaun (1.37) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI