Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can I ??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Can I ?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can I ?? - 9/17/2006 1:30:55 AM   
Janet Reno

Can a person do arty. and air assualts and resolve those attacks before doing the ground attack? If so how?

"You can get further with a gun and a kind word than just a kind word alone"-Al Capone
Post #: 1
RE: Can I ?? - 9/17/2006 2:43:02 AM   
golden delicious

Either;
a) make them as a separate set of attacks. Don't launch any ground attacks at all. Of course then you run the risk of failing the force proficiency check.
b) make sure your bombardments involve less equipment than your ground attacks.

Pure bombardments (i.e. with no ground units involved) are pretty ineffective in TOAW as in reality (see the Somme), so they're only useful for airfield attacks and in some unusual circumstances.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Janet Reno)
Post #: 2
RE: Can I ?? - 9/17/2006 8:52:49 AM   
Janet Reno

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

Either;
a) make them as a separate set of attacks. Don't launch any ground attacks at all. Of course then you run the risk of failing the force proficiency check.

And what is that?

Pure bombardments (i.e. with no ground units involved) are pretty ineffective in TOAW

I was just interested in making the pile to deal with smaller before I use my guys.

as in reality (see the Somme), so they're only useful for airfield attacks and in some unusual circumstances.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

"You can get further with a gun and a kind word than just a kind word alone"-Al Capone

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: Can I ?? - 9/17/2006 2:32:55 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Janet Reno

quote:

Either;

And what is that?

At the end of each combat round, provided you have more than 10% of your turn left, the game runs a check against the remaining % of your turn and your force proficiency. If both fail, your turn ends.

quote:

I was just interested in making the pile to deal with smaller before I use my guys.

You'd be better of just jumping straight in with the artillery in support. However you might want to start off with only a few ground units if you don't think you can carry the hex immediately.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Janet Reno)
Post #: 4
RE: Can I ?? - 9/17/2006 6:02:15 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

Either;

Pure bombardments (i.e. with no ground units involved) are pretty ineffective in TOAW as in reality (see the Somme), so they're only useful for airfield attacks and in some unusual circumstances.

..like 3* min loss attacks to lift troops out of trenches, then add some bombers and a few fighters for spice, and then, just to remind Ben, hi-shell weight artillery works directly on supply level, and so on readiness, (ranged leader effect in toaw-acow mods right? the 0 AP / in the thousands shell-weight tests, just so i could get Alexander...)

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Post #: 5
RE: Can I ?? - 9/17/2006 6:17:00 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..like 3* min loss attacks to lift troops out of trenches, then add some bombers and a few fighters for spice, and then, just to remind Ben, hi-shell weight artillery works directly on supply level, and so on readiness,

You can squeeze a little extra performance out of the pure bombardments- or you could add a couple of infantry units on minimise losses and triple the effect.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 6
RE: Can I ?? - 9/17/2006 9:16:07 PM   
Chuck2

quote:

quote:

..like 3* min loss attacks to lift troops out of trenches, then add some bombers and a few fighters for spice, and then, just to remind Ben, hi-shell weight artillery works directly on supply level, and so on readiness,

You can squeeze a little extra performance out of the pure bombardments- or you could add a couple of infantry units on minimise losses and triple the effect.

What if the defending unit is fortified? They get 8x times the strength IIRC. Therefore, a bombardment makes sense to try to get the unit in mobile status before attacking. Also, bombardments guarantee you won't have a "turn buring" attack where several rounds are used up in one attack.

< Message edited by Chuck2 -- 9/17/2006 9:43:00 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Can I ?? - 9/18/2006 2:28:21 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chuck2

What if the defending unit is fortified? They get 8x times the strength IIRC. Therefore, a bombardment makes sense to try to get the unit in mobile status before attacking. Also, bombardments guarantee you won't have a "turn buring" attack where several rounds are used up in one attack.

I'd really still recommend attaching a ground unit to the attack. A single such unit on minimise losses should break off from combat fairly quickly- but it will also serve to multiply the losses the defenders suffer.

The joy of combined arms.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Chuck2)
Post #: 8
RE: Can I ?? - 9/28/2006 2:39:20 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

..at the cost of a percent of the turn, whereas pure artillery, if not moved, and in a fair state of readiness can get in "free" shoots, lifting the dug-ins and exposing them to real attacks

Post #: 9
RE: Can I ?? - 9/28/2006 5:35:28 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

..at the cost of a percent of the turn, whereas pure artillery, if not moved, and in a fair state of readiness can get in "free" shoots,

Not without exploiting a bug in the game system. Any attack will always use at least 10% of the turn otherwise.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 10
RE: Can I ?? - 9/28/2006 5:52:01 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

..at the cost of a percent of the turn, whereas pure artillery, if not moved, and in a fair state of readiness can get in "free" shoots,

Not without exploiting a bug in the game system. Any attack will always use at least 10% of the turn otherwise.

..exploit away, while it still lasts...

..come on, artillery, with loadsa cannon balls, powder charges and stuff stacked next to the cannon, or in the caissons just behind, takes no time at all to go bang bang bang, whereas your pbi takes time to walk across the battlefield...

..not a bug, an encouragement to keep your artillery in light green and near to the supply train, and so benefit from being a perceptive, careful planning little bunny

Post #: 11
RE: Can I ?? - 9/29/2006 12:01:36 AM   
macgregor

quote:

Or just one. A very small one. I thought this kind of gamey tactic was going to be addressed in this version.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 9/29/2006 12:03:10 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Can I ?? - 9/29/2006 8:21:28 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor
Or just one. A very small one. I thought this kind of gamey tactic was going to be addressed in this version.

That would be nice, wouldn't it? Hopefully in the near future. In the meantime, us designers will have to keep the number of ant units to a minimum.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 13
RE: Can I ?? - 9/29/2006 8:23:14 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

..come on, artillery, with loadsa cannon balls, powder charges and stuff stacked next to the cannon, or in the caissons just behind, takes no time at all to go bang bang bang,

Not in the real world, unfortunately.

quote:

..not a bug,

Actually, yes, a bug. Acknowledged as a bug by the community and by TOAD. Executing combat rounds should always consume at least 10% of the turn. The only way it will not do so is if you save the game and then reload.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 14
RE: Can I ?? - 10/2/2006 12:40:16 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

..come on, artillery, with loadsa cannon balls, powder charges and stuff stacked next to the cannon, or in the caissons just behind, takes no time at all to go bang bang bang,

Not in the real world, unfortunately.

quote:

..not a bug,

Actually, yes, a bug. Acknowledged as a bug by the community **and by TOAD. Executing combat rounds should always consume at least 10% of the turn. The only way it will not do so is if you save the game and then reload.

..mmm, real world...lessee, one arrow striking the target, two in the air (or was that 3)and one leaving the bow, and the french cavalry are still nowhere near..how far do you want to take rate of fire vs time to cover ground on foot, or horse ?

..**except me, gosh Ben, you a commune (ist, ard )..

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Can I ?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI