Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWIF Game Interface Design

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/5/2006 11:46:17 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Here is a screen shot of the problem I am currently trying to solve. There are 10 flags used in MWIF and you can see all 10 of them here. On the disk they are 24 bit color bitmaps of size 84 by 56 pixels and I have no trouble getting them to appear full size on the screen. Those are the large flags you can see on the bottom portion of the screen.

I'm used to similar programming problems at work. It's trying to find the needle in the haystack. The way I solve such odd problems is to attack the problem from many different angles until I find the cause of the problem or the workaround.

Have you tried to change the red color of the Chinese nationalist flag to see if it's the RED color that causes it to be transformed to transparent? Have you tried to remove white sun symbol within the blue area to see if helps. Just to try to locate WHAT is causing the problem.

Maybe trying the Chinese nationalist to get the symbol from another country to see if the graphics is causing the problem or maybe the file itself or the file NAME?

Similar with the German flag. Try to alter the size for all flags slightly to see if it could help. I guess there are many other angles to attack this problem, but sooner or later you would find the workaround or the cause of the problem.

Often you will be surprised to learn what caused the problem in the first place. Often there is something logical, but not very easy to see. Other times you have to fight an inherent bug in the development software and only a workaround can solve the problem.

This is part of the fun being a computer programmer. Every day is a search for needles in the haystack. I guess my home is crowded with thousands of found needles already. I know they will come handy one day.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 481
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/6/2006 12:25:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Borger Borgersen

quote:

Here is a screen shot of the problem I am currently trying to solve. There are 10 flags used in MWIF and you can see all 10 of them here. On the disk they are 24 bit color bitmaps of size 84 by 56 pixels and I have no trouble getting them to appear full size on the screen. Those are the large flags you can see on the bottom portion of the screen.

I'm used to similar programming problems at work. It's trying to find the needle in the haystack. The way I solve such odd problems is to attack the problem from many different angles until I find the cause of the problem or the workaround.

Have you tried to change the red color of the Chinese nationalist flag to see if it's the RED color that causes it to be transformed to transparent? Have you tried to remove white sun symbol within the blue area to see if helps. Just to try to locate WHAT is causing the problem.

Maybe trying the Chinese nationalist to get the symbol from another country to see if the graphics is causing the problem or maybe the file itself or the file NAME?

Similar with the German flag. Try to alter the size for all flags slightly to see if it could help. I guess there are many other angles to attack this problem, but sooner or later you would find the workaround or the cause of the problem.

Often you will be surprised to learn what caused the problem in the first place. Often there is something logical, but not very easy to see. Other times you have to fight an inherent bug in the development software and only a workaround can solve the problem.

This is part of the fun being a computer programmer. Every day is a search for needles in the haystack. I guess my home is crowded with thousands of found needles already. I know they will come handy one day.

Thanks for the advice. I have tried half of those already. At this point it is time to work on different problem(s) and see if not thinking about it helps.

Usually I find the needles by sitting on them. My butt is like a pincushion.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Peter Stauffenberg)
Post #: 482
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/13/2006 11:56:20 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I solved the problem with the flags using a complete kludge. For the German flag it appears it wanted a percentage instead of a pixel count so I gave it 100 to get the whole flag. But then it was still offset wrong within the frame so I gave it a -5 pixel offset and it now lines up perfectly. For the Nationalist flag (which didn't show the red color) I assumed it was something to do with transparency though setting the bitmap's transparency to false had no effect. I finally wiorked out that it wanted the 4 pixels in the lower left corner of the bitmap to denote the transparency color (the normal is a single pixel) and cured that problem. Total work around - no logic to it at all. None of the other 7 flags need any of these 'adjustments'. So it goes. (My personal variation on that phrase is "Slow it goes").

Here is what I expect to be the final opening screen for the game.

1 - Clicking on the German flag or the Start New Game label goes to the Start New Game Screen.

2 - Clicking on any of the 18 tutorial headings goes to that tutorial.

3 - Clicking on a Partial Map Scenario radio button brings up the list of saved games for that scenario in the list to the right of the radio button list. And similarly for a Full Map Scenario radio button. Double clicking on a file from either file list loads/restores the saved game.

The intent of the design here is to let players start a game/tutorial as fast as possible.

I am revising the Start New Game form and should have it done a a couple of days.

I also starting working out the structure for the tutorial presentations and have it partially coded. I'll try to finish one of the tutorials (in draft) this week for your review.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 483
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/13/2006 3:38:42 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

I solved the problem with the flags using a complete kludge. For the German flag it appears it wanted a percentage instead of a pixel count so I gave it 100 to get the whole flag. But then it was still offset wrong within the frame so I gave it a -5 pixel offset and it now lines up perfectly. For the Nationalist flag (which didn't show the red color) I assumed it was something to do with transparency though setting the bitmap's transparency to false had no effect. I finally wiorked out that it wanted the 4 pixels in the lower left corner of the bitmap to denote the transparency color (the normal is a single pixel) and cured that problem. Total work around - no logic to it at all. None of the other 7 flags need any of these 'adjustments'. So it goes. (My personal variation on that phrase is "Slow it goes").

Here is what I expect to be the final opening screen for the game.

1 - Clicking on the German flag or the Start New Game label goes to the Start New Game Screen.

2 - Clicking on any of the 18 tutorial headings goes to that tutorial.

3 - Clicking on a Partial Map Scenario radio button brings up the list of saved games for that scenario in the list to the right of the radio button list. And similarly for a Full Map Scenario radio button. Double clicking on a file from either file list loads/restores the saved game.

The intent of the design here is to let players start a game/tutorial as fast as possible.

I am revising the Start New Game form and should have it done a a couple of days.

I also starting working out the structure for the tutorial presentations and have it partially coded. I'll try to finish one of the tutorials (in draft) this week for your review.

Steve, this looks very clean and I like the overall look of it very much.

But I just don't get it -- why do you need the flags at all? They send misleading information. They make it appear that Tutorials are related to US, the Soviet player is in the middle of restore a saved game -- but can any one else look at tutorials or restore a saved game?

I just don't think the flags are doing anything to help. They actively confuse the issues.

Post #: 484
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/13/2006 4:16:50 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I just don't think the flags are doing anything to help. They actively confuse the issues.

I for one do not find them confusing.
They remind me of the cover of some games, where you see all the flags of all the belligerents.
They are decorum.
They also introduce you to the color / flag matches that are used in the game, well, I'm not sure it is designed this way, but I feel it this way. US are green, Russians are brown, etc..., which not an automatic color / country matchings.

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 485
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/13/2006 5:18:35 PM   
Neilster

quote:

They remind me of the cover of some games, where you see all the flags of all the belligerents.
They are decorum.
They also introduce you to the color / flag matches that are used in the game, well, I'm not sure it is designed this way, but I feel it this way. US are green, Russians are brown, etc..., which not an automatic color / country matchings.

The box cover, a splash screen or during the intro is the appropriate place to show these flags. Not here. With respect, the positives you describe are fairly feeble. They could be arrived at in another way or would become obvious during play anyway.

I think reviewers will punish this section of the game if we persist with this confusing flag display. If some pictures are required to spice this page up, I can think of some suggestions that would actually help convey what is going on. They could be done by the graphic artist or someone who is experienced in this sort of thing.

1. Start a new game: A newspaper placard with the giant headline "IT'S WAR", "WAR DECLARED" or "POLAND INVADED".

2. Tutorials: A picture of maps on a table with books or of a war college or a motarboard to denote formal military study.

3. Restore a saved game: A picture of a floppy disk and perhaps an arrow to denote that info is leaving said disk (possibly animated and pointing to a PC)

Good games (and even not so good ones) spend a lot of effort on these atmosphere building aspects. It helps to immerse the player and give them a feel for the era, as well as providing a visual clue to the options. Given the excellent attention to detail on this project so far, I think it would be a major mistake to skimp on this stuff. It will look unprofessional and the beginning of the game is a bad time to make a poor impression.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 9/13/2006 5:20:00 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 486
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/13/2006 7:47:47 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster
quote:

They are decorum.

The box cover, a splash screen or during the intro is the appropriate place to show these flags. Not here. With respect, the positives you describe are fairly feeble. They could be arrived at in another way or would become obvious during play anyway.

I think reviewers will punish this section of the game if we persist with this confusing flag display. If some pictures are required to spice this page up, I can think of some suggestions that would actually help convey what is going on. They could be done by the graphic artist or someone who is experienced in this sort of thing.

1. Start a new game: A newspaper placard with the giant headline "IT'S WAR", "WAR DECLARED" or "POLAND INVADED".

2. Tutorials: A picture of maps on a table with books or of a war college or a motarboard to denote formal military study.

3. Restore a saved game: A picture of a floppy disk and perhaps an arrow to denote that info is leaving said disk (possibly animated and pointing to a PC)

Good games (and even not so good ones) spend a lot of effort on these atmosphere building aspects. It helps to immerse the player and give them a feel for the era, as well as providing a visual clue to the options. Given the excellent attention to detail on this project so far, I think it would be a major mistake to skimp on this stuff. It will look unprofessional and the beginning of the game is a bad time to make a poor impression.

Cheers, Neilster

I do not expect to use Splash screens at this point. There will be 2 or 3 splash screens when installing the program, though I might reduce that to just 1 and supplement it with pages from the tutorials. Why spend time and effort on something the player will probably see only once? And the tutorials will contan screen shots which, accompanied by text, will be much more interesting to view while you are waiting for the install process to do its thing.

This is the first screen that appears when a player clicks on MWIF.EXE and it pops up in a millisecond.

The purpose of this screen with its 3 sections is very clear - indeed, the player should be expecting to see something like this. Expanding on the purpose with additional graphics doesn't seem necessary. There are a dozen or so 'hints' that pop up if the player moves the cursor over a label or flag, etc., and they make it clear that the flags are merely decoration - though clicking on the German flag will start a new game.

I have 3 reasons for displaying the flags here:

1 - For decoration (adding a little bit of color)

2 - To familiarize the player with the relationship between the flags and the background colors that will be used throughout the game (subtle and not very important)

3 - To lay some ground work for the next screen which I expect to be somewhat confusing: the flags demark separate decision areas of the screen and are merely decorative (this is a stretch, but every little bit helps)

What I am doing with this screen's graphics is setting expectations. The Opening screen is simple; the Start New Game screen is not. I hope to have the latter done some time today for you-all to critique.

Steve

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 487
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/13/2006 7:57:36 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

2 - To familiarize the player with the relationship between the flags and the background colors that will be used throughout the game (subtle and not very important)

3 - To lay some ground work for the next screen which I expect to be somewhat confusing: the flags demark separate decision areas of the screen and are merely decorative (this is a stretch, but every little bit helps)

What I am doing with this screen's graphics is setting expectations. The Opening screen is simple; the Start New Game screen is not. I hope to have the latter done some time today for you-all to critique.

i don't feel the need for more splash graphics, but then I am a command line type.

i do feel strongly that the flags are a) not serving useful purposes (as you indicate above) and b) are actively setting confusing expectations.

I would suggest something more along the lines of a simple MWIF banner at the top of the page.

Post #: 488
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/13/2006 8:00:21 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman

quote:

i don't feel the need for more splash graphics, but then I am a command line type.

i do feel strongly that the flags are a) not serving useful purposes (as you indicate above) and b) are actively setting confusing expectations.

I would suggest something more along the lines of a simple MWIF banner at the top of the page.

Oh yeah, the title for the screen is missing - it will appear as part of the top border.

Steve

Post #: 489
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/13/2006 8:30:50 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman
quote:

Well, I have just given the flags a purpose for the Start New Game screen and I'll do the same thing for the Opening screen flags.

This is, when you place the cursor over a flag it brings up a 'hint' that says "Click on the flag for more help with <this section>". In other words, they are links to context sensitive help that describes the section. For the opening screen, the 3 sections are pretty obvious, though there are some odd bits that I would like to have the opportunity to explain if the player asks for help (navigating the tutorials; the directory structure for saved games).

Steve

Post #: 490
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/17/2006 3:36:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I continue to work on the first few screens, bringing them into line with the new player interface design/theme. I have decided on most of the Pascal components I will be using and I am pretty happy with them at this point. It takes a lot of effort to get everything converted though. Many of the CWIF components were circa Windows 3.1 and 3.2. That means I have to go through manually and change each element/component on each of the 104 forms. When I try to use canned procedures to do groups of them simultaneously, I run into a lot of trouble.

Here is the opening screen (again), the only change I have made since I took this screen shot is to the color for the Search text from yellow to dark green.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 491
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/17/2006 3:44:23 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

And here is the Start New Game screen. It is still a work in progress, though 80% done. For example, the Chinese and French section haven't been converted to the nice backgrounds.

I replaced a bunch of CheckBoxes with OK buttons and redid the tabs for the Scenarios and Optional Rules. The tabs are all hand coded and they do not jump around (as some of the packaged components do). When you click on a tab, the color of the tab changes to show that it is selected and the panel underneath the tab headings changes. So, click on Waking Giant and the text description for Waking Giant replaces the text description for Lebensraum. Likewise, clicking on Production Rules, replaces the CheckBox list for Additional units with the corresponding one for Production Rules.

I have updated the optional rule lists to reflect the changes from earlier this month. You can see 2 new additons: Rough seas and Oil tankers.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 492
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/17/2006 1:18:47 PM   
wosung

Hi Seve,

it's very pedagogical to connect the flags to the colors of the counters.

But there are also disadvantages:

1. The colors of the counters are in fact quite common for wargamers, not only Wiffers. So for them it's unnecessary.

2. With 5 sections in the Start New Game screen you get all the needed info at once. No clickfeast. That's a good thing. But up to 6-7 different colors and the the flags do make it confusing. That's a bad thing.

BTW: Sorry, but with the colors I associate, eehrr, an Italian ice-cream shop. I just wonder what's the German gray cream is made of...

3.WW2 Atmosphere is missing. Perhaps the screen could look like an old ear-dogged WW2 document with old type-letter fonts? Plus generally they did have a taste for dynamic looking fonts then from Germany to China.

Regards

Post #: 493
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/18/2006 1:35:11 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung
Hi Seve,

it's very pedagogical to connect the flags to the colors of the counters.

But there are also disadvantages:

1. The colors of the counters are in fact quite common for wargamers, not only Wiffers. So for them it's unnecessary.

2. With 5 sections in the Start New Game screen you get all the needed info at once. No clickfeast. That's a good thing. But up to 6-7 different colors and the the flags do make it confusing. That's a bad thing.

BTW: Sorry, but with the colors I associate, eehrr, an Italian ice-cream shop. I just wonder what's the German gray cream is made of...

3.WW2 Atmosphere is missing. Perhaps the screen could look like an old ear-dogged WW2 document with old type-letter fonts? Plus generally they did have a taste for dynamic looking fonts then from Germany to China.

Regards

Yes, but ...

I have two goals in presenting text to the player: (1) communicate information, and (2) historical ambience. For instance, I have decided to go with Verdana 10 point virtually everywhere when presenting game information because Verdana has more space between letters and 10 points is about as small as I can go without upsetting some players. That decision is purely based on wanting to communicate information clearly so the player isn't hassled trying to figure out what is happening.

While the second goal gets lower priority, it isn't irrelevant. I expect to use banner headlines for announcing major events (war, aligning countries, capturing important cities, etc.). For that we will go for imagry (e.g., fonts and colors) appropriate to the era. The first place a player will see them is while the game loads the map data, unit data, bitmaps, and otherwise prepares for setting up whichever scenario the player has chosen.

We have done nothing for the historical images so far - it is something to be added in later for the most part. For the Start New Game form, I have considered using a uniform (or only 2 colors) but I believe that will make the distinction between the 5 sections/steps more difficult to identify. Anyway, don't you like gellati?

Steve

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 494
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/18/2006 2:37:47 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Woah, woah, woah! Wait a minute. The colors look excellent to me. The screen looks a lot better than I have seen it any time before. I guess the only thing I have as a nitpick are the dividing lines between the tabs above the Japanese area. They should be solid lines from top to bottom and nonexistent on the sides. Other than that, very pleasing.

mo_reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

Post #: 495
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/18/2006 3:38:50 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel
Woah, woah, woah! Wait a minute. The colors look excellent to me. The screen looks a lot better than I have seen it any time before. I guess the only thing I have as a nitpick are the dividing lines between the tabs above the Japanese area. They should be solid lines from top to bottom and nonexistent on the sides. Other than that, very pleasing.

mo_reb

Thanks.

The entire tab line is one component and it has 'incomplete' vertical separators. It also insists on placing an extra separator at the end. Those weirdnesses are annoying, but too small to spend any time correcting.

Steve

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 496
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/18/2006 7:05:17 AM   
c92nichj

I agree with a lot of other posters. Adding the flags and all the colours make teh start screen look unprofessional and totally lack a WWII feeling.
It is a shame as the map looks so beautiful that the start screen shall look like this.

I suggest that it is handed over to the graphics artist to create a nice and clean screen.

Post #: 497
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/18/2006 8:59:43 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: c92nichj
I agree with a lot of other posters. Adding the flags and all the colours make teh start screen look unprofessional and totally lack a WWII feeling.
It is a shame as the map looks so beautiful that the start screen shall look like this.

I suggest that it is handed over to the graphics artist to create a nice and clean screen.

My brother, Lars, has been a graphics artist for all his life and he tells one story (of many similar) that serves as a core principle to me when designing the game.

Lars was given a photograph of a bull (just the head) by his client and asked to make an artistic rendering of the head appropriate for an advertising campaign (Bull's Head Beer, I believe). So he takes a day or two and draws a slightly changed version (about 8 inches square) - one that would be appropriate for stencilling on the side of cans, T-shirts, and the zillion other places the marketing types will use it. His draft drawing is reviewed by a committee of 10 guys who generate a list of over 100 points where they think he should make 'improvements'. And this is for a drawing that is esentially the same as the picture!

I purposely post my work in progress to receive comments and suggestions for I do believe that many eyes and minds will make the resulting product vastly superior to what I would achieve in isolation. At the same time I do not delude myself that I can please everyone. Some people will say A with great conviction and other swill say Not A with equal conviction.

As for turning all the interface design details over to someone else to do, I am afraid you are stuck with just me. I use the graphics artist to add graphic elements but the decisions are ultimately mine. That is how it has to be, since an extensive knowledge of WIF mechanics are required, and also years of experience building game/user/player interfaces. Beautiful, but disfunctional, might be all right in a one night lover, but fails completely in a game design.

I still adhere to the logic that I posted previously: historical ambience is a poor communication medium when a lot of important information needs to be presented. Instead, it should be used in select places, where the message will not be lost in the 'clutter' of the historical additions.

Steve

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 498
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/18/2006 10:02:57 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

I honestly thought you were jesting ...

IMO, It looks good, far better than CWIF. Additionally, if these styles can be used on the forms that you use throughout the game, even better. It will be very intuitive what major power you are making decision for; land combat, air combat, production, etc...

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 499
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/18/2006 11:58:18 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99
quote:

I honestly thought you were jesting ...

IMO, It looks good, far better than CWIF. Additionally, if these styles can be used on the forms that you use throughout the game, even better. It will be very intuitive what major power you are making decision for; land combat, air combat, production, etc...

The background colors change whenever the major power "on move" changes. However, the effect during game play is rather minor. For example, it does not affect the detailed or global maps. Also, only one of the background colors and one flag appear at a time, so the overall visual impact is reduced. Each of the information forms and little popup question forms uses the current major power background color/texture - which is mainly where you will see these colors.

I think of the opening screen and start new game form as sort of an overture - an introduction and taste of what follows. Though I do understand c92nichj point and believe that it has some validity - just not enough for me to do a complete redesign of these 2 forms.

Steve

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 500
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 12:05:31 AM   
Ballista

These screens are head and shoulders above what we had before (and that's not a knock on Chris- he had more pressing matters to attend to - like getting CWIF off the ground). I'm all for ambience, etc, but not at the cost of clarity and functionality. Besides, we will only spend a minute fraction of time in this part of the game anyway- not to lessen its importance but it does put the rest of the interface in perspective.

Shannon has done a truly admirable job, especially in opening up to comments from us in the "peanut gallery". From what I've seen to date, I have full confidence in his ability to drive this product to a successful conclusion. (And having input into the final product is pretty keen too :D )

Post #: 501
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 4:45:02 AM   
Anendrue

I know I am a little late to the discussion. However, the flags do seem to be a bit overpowering. My own eyes are drawn to the flags and away from the data being tranmitted. I catch myself being distracted to the flags  and it becomes hard to focus on the information presented. Perhaps fewer flags in opposing corners upper left and lower right which is the natural reading progression for the non Islamic world. That should draw the eyes to the natural start and stop position of the form.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Ballista)
Post #: 502
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 5:33:07 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562
I know I am a little late to the discussion. However, the flags do seem to be a bit overpowering. My own eyes are drawn to the flags and away from the data being tranmitted. I catch myself being distracted to the flags  and it becomes hard to focus on the information presented. Perhaps fewer flags in opposing corners upper left and lower right which is the natural reading progression for the non Islamic world. That should draw the eyes to the natural start and stop position of the form.

An excellent idea - I'll make those changes.

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 503
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 5:49:54 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is the latest version of the Start New Game form.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 504
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 9:49:19 PM   
Gendarme

Greetings and salutations to the Matrix Wif community.

First, my compliments to those working on the game and keeping a tab on us posting on these forums. You're hard work is appreciated and I'm looking forward eagerly to the game's release. Everything -- maps, counters, etc. -- looks fantastic. As Wif is the final word in strategic WWII boardgaming, it looks like Matrix Wif will be the final word in computer strategic WWII wargaming.

Second, and I'm not certain if this post quite fits in with this topic, but I have three questions/wishes concerning Matrix Wif:

1) I know this game must be too far in development to allow for the feature I am about to suggest, but to me, one of the things I like most about wargaming is the variability that dice bring in. I like rolling the dice. The ups and downs, the lucky streaks and yes even the runs of bad luck. I hope there can be an option for the PC gamer to generate his own dice rolls and enter the results into the game as it progresses, whether the rolls be for combat, US Entry, weather, etc. I don't know if this is even an option with other computer wargames or not, but it's just an idea.

2) I've read on an earlier thread that having a feature that will allow a gamer to print the (absolutely beautiful) Matrix Wif maps would take up too much space on the disc, so the idea is impractical. In spite of this, I would like to voice my wish that this will be an option, even if it means having a second disc for the game or whatever it would take.

3) One way I can possibly see Matrix Wif improving on Wif with regards to small historical details is having the unit scale at divisional level, with each land playing piece being an actual division that existed, numbered and with nicknames if any (the Big Red One, Ariete, Das Reich, etc.), rated by combat strength and movement allowance for Matrix Wif. I realize this would add a whole lot of work for the developers with regards to researching Orders of Battle, so I know this is entirely a pipe dream. Not to mention, the number of playing pieces would be quadrupled: imagine the number of divisions the Soviet or Chinese Armies would have. I know what some guys are thinking, if you want to go divisional, go play Europa. Plus, play balance issues would be involved if Wif moved from Corps-level to divisional level.

Anyways, keep up the good work, guys. It is appreciated by all.

Anthony DeChristopher

Post #: 505
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 10:13:59 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gendarme
Greetings and salutations to the Matrix Wif community.

First, my compliments to those working on the game and keeping a tab on us posting on these forums. You're hard work is appreciated and I'm looking forward eagerly to the game's release. Everything -- maps, counters, etc. -- looks fantastic. As Wif is the final word in strategic WWII boardgaming, it looks like Matrix Wif will be the final word in computer strategic WWII wargaming.

Second, and I'm not certain if this post quite fits in with this topic, but I have three questions/wishes concerning Matrix Wif:

1) I know this game must be too far in development to allow for the feature I am about to suggest, but to me, one of the things I like most about wargaming is the variability that dice bring in. I like rolling the dice. The ups and downs, the lucky streaks and yes even the runs of bad luck. I hope there can be an option for the PC gamer to generate his own dice rolls and enter the results into the game as it progresses, whether the rolls be for combat, US Entry, weather, etc. I don't know if this is even an option with other computer wargames or not, but it's just an idea.

2) I've read on an earlier thread that having a feature that will allow a gamer to print the (absolutely beautiful) Matrix Wif maps would take up too much space on the disc, so the idea is impractical. In spite of this, I would like to voice my wish that this will be an option, even if it means having a second disc for the game or whatever it would take.

3) One way I can possibly see Matrix Wif improving on Wif with regards to small historical details is having the unit scale at divisional level, with each land playing piece being an actual division that existed, numbered and with nicknames if any (the Big Red One, Ariete, Das Reich, etc.), rated by combat strength and movement allowance for Matrix Wif. I realize this would add a whole lot of work for the developers with regards to researching Orders of Battle, so I know this is entirely a pipe dream. Not to mention, the number of playing pieces would be quadrupled: imagine the number of divisions the Soviet or Chinese Armies would have. I know what some guys are thinking, if you want to go divisional, go play Europa. Plus, play balance issues would be involved if Wif moved from Corps-level to divisional level.

Anyways, keep up the good work, guys. It is appreciated by all.

Anthony DeChristopher

Well, I always like to hear from new forum members but I don't think your requests will be part of MWIF product 1.

While adding outside die rolling would be rather easy (for example, the debug version lets the players enter the die rolls for testing unusual results), making it a standard part of the game (as, say, an optional rule) presents some other difficulties. I am worrying here about PEBM and internet play where the resulting die rolls have to transmitted to other players.

Printing out the maps can be achieved using other software to take screen shots and then putting the pieces together. Building it into the program seems unnecessary. I use HyperSnap to take screen shots and that works well for me. It support dozens of different formats.

Going to division level in MWIF is not going to happen. The problem is fundamental: teh ADG designers started with a hex scale, a time scale, and a unit scale (for air, naval, and land units). The rules blend those 4 basic elements into a simulation/game: Map + Units + Time + Rules. Every time ADG made shange to 1 of those aspects of the simulation, they had to make changes to 1 or more of the others. I'm not going to mess with those elements except when absolutely forced to (e.g., for the unified map).

----------

I don't believe I have posted a recent screen shot showing the medium resolution counters. I've added outlines and moved the shadowing to the right/bottom. I will probably make the shadowing a little larger (up from 1 to 2 or 3 pixels). This is zoom level 3, and I think all the numbers are easy to read (except maybe the # of units in a hex).

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Gendarme)
Post #: 506
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 11:00:10 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Printing out the maps can be achieved using other software to take screen shots and then putting the pieces together. Building it into the program seems unnecessary. I use HyperSnap to take screen shots and that works well for me. It support dozens of different formats.

About this, I did this, at 100% zoom which is not the highest, and it took literally hours and hours, I'd even say days, to take the hundred screenshots and assemble all of them. The final assembled file, saved as a JPG (80%) is 67 MB large, most picture processors program fail at even opening it, so processing it is impossible except with the most advanced professional picture software and very very powerful computers.
So I think that if the game had a simple utility that created a bitmap file of the map, even if the output was hundreds of MB large (I think that a full scale full map in BMP format should be larger than 1 GB, but I don't care, GB are cheap nowadays), I would love it. Needless to say, Rob would love it too.

quote:

Going to division level in MWIF is not going to happen. The problem is fundamental: teh ADG designers started with a hex scale, a time scale, and a unit scale (for air, naval, and land units). The rules blend those 4 basic elements into a simulation/game: Map + Units + Time + Rules. Every time ADG made shange to 1 of those aspects of the simulation, they had to make changes to 1 or more of the others. I'm not going to mess with those elements except when absolutely forced to (e.g., for the unified map).

About this, you may know that people at ADG work about divisional WiF, who would be called Master WiF (see for informations at http://www.gdg.de/). For what I know about it, it keeps the map.
Maybe one day Matrix will convert it to MMWiF (Matrix Master WiF)

Post #: 507
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 11:03:52 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I don't believe I have posted a recent screen shot showing the medium resolution counters. I've added outlines and moved the shadowing to the right/bottom. I will probably make the shadowing a little larger (up from 1 to 2 or 3 pixels). This is zoom level 3, and I think all the numbers are easy to read (except maybe the # of units in a hex).

Great screen shot !
However, the shadowing are not visible, and what is this outline about ? Before, there was a Green outline for units that were available to perform actions during the step that is in play. Is the green outline replaced by this one ?

Post #: 508
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 11:08:16 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

About this, I did this, at 100% zoom which is not the highest, and it took literally hours and hours, I'd even say days, to take the hundred screenshots and assemble all of them. The final assembled file, saved as a JPG (80%) is 67 MB large, most picture processors program fail at even opening it, so processing it is impossible except with the most advanced professional picture software and very very powerful computers.
So I think that if the game had a simple utility that created a bitmap file of the map, even if the output was hundreds of MB large (I think that a full scale full map in BMP format should be larger than 1 GB, but I don't care, GB are cheap nowadays), I would love it. Needless to say, Rob would love it too.

quote:

About this, you may know that people at ADG work about divisional WiF, who would be called Master WiF (see for informations at http://www.gdg.de/). For what I know about it, it keeps the map.
Maybe one day Matrix will convert it to MMWiF (Matrix Master WiF)

Sign me up!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 509
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/19/2006 11:13:29 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Great screen shot !
However, the shadowing are not visible, and what is this outline about ? Before, there was a Green outline for units that were available to perform actions during the step that is in play. Is the green outline replaced by this one ?

Also, why are the hexsides that black, especialy those of the hexes bordering the sea ?
It was quite smoother before, wasn't it ?

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI