Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US vs France 12/42

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> US vs France 12/42 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US vs France 12/42 - 7/28/2000 3:46:00 PM   
Alex

I've just started a US Army campaign in 12/42 in north africa. Now evrything would be great... the mission is a beach assault vs .... YES the French Army . Now Im not so great at history, but I just cant remember something like that happening ?? Alex

Post #: 1
- 7/28/2000 4:05:00 PM   
sven

Umm I am guessing the game is simulating the opponent list for TORCH. We did have some skirmishes with those fine, noble, brave Vichyites. Seriously it's not out of line. regards, sven
quote:

Originally posted by Alex: I've just started a US Army campaign in 12/42 in north africa. Now evrything would be great... the mission is a beach assault vs .... YES the French Army . Now Im not so great at history, but I just cant remember something like that happening ?? Alex
------------------ Give all you can all you can give....

(in reply to Alex)
Post #: 2
- 7/28/2000 7:26:00 PM   
Colonel Klink

i'm getting ready to start a similar campaign.. us 11/42 which starts with the invasion of morocco.. vichy held territory. my question is whether or not i will actually see french units (i'm guessing so) and if they will be vichy. i didn't see a seperate vichy army under the nations list but i could be blind. I certainly hope i don't meet up with too much german stuff until i cross into tunisia.

(in reply to Alex)
Post #: 3
- 7/30/2000 4:44:00 AM   
Tombstone

Yah, our first opponents in North Africa were the french. It wasn't a huge fight or anything and diplomatic solutions we're resolved soon after. It wasn't until we got closer to Tunis that things got dicey. Tomo

(in reply to Alex)
Post #: 4
- 7/30/2000 4:53:00 AM   
albert

The British fought a more serious campaign against the Vichy French in Syria before the Torch landings. The French navy had lost several battleships to British attacks at various ports in southern France and French North Africa so the campaign you're fighting is at least plausible/

(in reply to Alex)
Post #: 5
- 7/30/2000 9:26:00 AM   
troopie

French fought French in Syria as well. Most notably a battle, forgot the name, where two Foreign Legion units fought each other. After the battle, which the Free French won, those Legionnaires who wished to were returned to France, the rest were taken in to the Free French Foreign Legion, where they served with honour. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Alex)
Post #: 6
- 8/1/2000 2:35:00 PM   
Alex

Thanks guys... I didnt know. Alex

(in reply to Alex)
Post #: 7
- 8/1/2000 3:02:00 PM   
JR

quote:

Originally posted by troopie: French fought French in Syria as well. Most notably a battle, forgot the name, where two Foreign Legion units fought each other. After the battle, which the Free French won, those Legionnaires who wished to were returned to France, the rest were taken in to the Free French Foreign Legion, where they served with honour. troopie
Partly because of all this, the french were not too keen on rejoining the Allied, and some french considered De Gaulle a treaitor. During the opening stages of Torch the british partisipation was toned down, and the american part emphasised. All senior british officers were kept in the background, and it were american officers who were negotiating with the Vichy forces. I have even seen pictures of british planes marked with american markings for Torch. All this was done in order to avoid raising bad feelings among the french, and make it less likly that the Vichy forces in North Africa should choose to put up a prolonged fight. JR

(in reply to Alex)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> US vs France 12/42 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI