Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

windows xp sp2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> windows xp sp2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
windows xp sp2 - 9/29/2006 5:05:19 AM   
waynec

i upgraded to sp2 on my laptop last week. i tend to leave it on for days and witp plus the utility will be open along with other programs. after upgrading to sp2, i have had 2 serious crashes requiring me to run a ckeck disk to fix it. anyone else having this problem? i think if i save and shut the game down after playing and restart the next time is a work around. or could it be the utility problem causing the problem?
thanks

Attachment (1)

If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.
Post #: 1
RE: windows xp sp2 - 9/29/2006 5:35:18 AM   
SamCole

I have not had your problem but I never leave WitP or WitPUtility running for very long. I kill both after doing a turn and restart for the next turn. I read somewhere that leaving the game up and running multiple PBEM games can cause a problem. I do not shut down my computer unless it is necessary. It is running about 99% of the time. I am running XP with sp2.

(in reply to waynec)
Post #: 2
RE: windows xp sp2 - 9/29/2006 6:11:42 AM   
dtravel

It is most likely a problem with your leaving your computer running for days on end.  Even if Windows was meant to be running constantly (it isn't), PC hardware isn't.  You should shut it down at night when you're not doing anything with it. 

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to SamCole)
Post #: 3
RE: windows xp sp2 - 9/29/2006 10:29:20 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

It is most likely a problem with your leaving your computer running for days on end. Even if Windows was meant to be running constantly (it isn't), PC hardware isn't. You should shut it down at night when you're not doing anything with it.

The father of a friend of mine in college had been a big mucky muck manager at IBM in the early days of the PC. (They forced him into early retirement when he recommended that the PS/2 was a mistake. The corporate world doesn't like Cassandras.) She said that they had done extensive testing on the wear and tear of the components and found that booting the computer puts about 8 hours equivalent wear and tear on the components. The reliability has generally improved since then, so I don't know which way the curves would have gone.

Laptops are often marginal in cooling and I wouldn't run one constantly. Desktops are a different matter. When I ran Windows 98 on my desktop PC, I shut down every night because the OS was so unstable. Now that I'm running 2000 (I hate XP with a passion), I usually leave it running for several days at a time.

Like most machines, heat is usually the biggest killer, though duty cycles (warming up and cooling down) can cause stress too. If the computer has adequate cooling, then leaving it run is probably easier on the components.

Bill

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 4
RE: windows xp sp2 - 9/29/2006 8:36:16 PM   
waynec

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

It is most likely a problem with your leaving your computer running for days on end. Even if Windows was meant to be running constantly (it isn't), PC hardware isn't. You should shut it down at night when you're not doing anything with it.

The father of a friend of mine in college had been a big mucky muck manager at IBM in the early days of the PC. (They forced him into early retirement when he recommended that the PS/2 was a mistake. The corporate world doesn't like Cassandras.) She said that they had done extensive testing on the wear and tear of the components and found that booting the computer puts about 8 hours equivalent wear and tear on the components. The reliability has generally improved since then, so I don't know which way the curves would have gone.

Laptops are often marginal in cooling and I wouldn't run one constantly. Desktops are a different matter. When I ran Windows 98 on my desktop PC, I shut down every night because the OS was so unstable. Now that I'm running 2000 (I hate XP with a passion), I usually leave it running for several days at a time.

Like most machines, heat is usually the biggest killer, though duty cycles (warming up and cooling down) can cause stress too. If the computer has adequate cooling, then leaving it run is probably easier on the components.

Bill

thanks for all the tips. i have good air circulation for laptop and desktop. i too have heard both sides of the leave on vs. shut down debate.
perhaps i wasn't clear with my situation. this only started happening after i upgraded to sp2. prior to that i never had this problem. of course i could freeze it up from time to time because i tend to have multiple things running, especially when doing serious digital art.
to update everyone i ran a check disk and anti virus last night and am defragging today. just thought to check shortcut properties and had the -w after the autorun.exe. that was something new i had just recently done. took that off and will reboot after defrag. will also try this with WPO over the weekend and keep everyone informed.

Attachment (1)

If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: windows xp sp2 - 9/30/2006 9:49:05 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: waynec

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Bill

thanks for all the tips. i have good air circulation for laptop and desktop. i too have heard both sides of the leave on vs. shut down debate.
perhaps i wasn't clear with my situation. this only started happening after i upgraded to sp2. prior to that i never had this problem. of course i could freeze it up from time to time because i tend to have multiple things running, especially when doing serious digital art.
to update everyone i ran a check disk and anti virus last night and am defragging today. just thought to check shortcut properties and had the -w after the autorun.exe. that was something new i had just recently done. took that off and will reboot after defrag. will also try this with WPO over the weekend and keep everyone informed.

I'm in the "leave it on" school [ this was an Adobe rule when I worked there in the early 90s ] .. I have a DELL Inspiron 3.2 Ghz 2MEG RAM ... blah blah blah .. except when traveling .. I leave my machine on 24.7 ... no problems ... I have 2 external 300G drives ... a scanner ... a printer ... a SoundBlaster box for my 5 speakers .. an extra DVD drive ... a 1900x1200 monitor ... a keyboard and a mouse ... and no problems ..

If you're crashing then it is either hardware or software. If consistent, then probably software .. if erratic then probably hardware. If you truly believe that patch caused it .. then reinstall all drivers ..

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to waynec)
Post #: 6
RE: windows xp sp2 - 11/15/2006 10:20:10 PM   
waynec

update. i think the hard drive is going. took it to my it guy and he played with it and it works enough for what i need right now. so i have money stashed away and everything backed up so when ot goes will throw a new one in.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> windows xp sp2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI