Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/18/2006 5:31:04 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hehe, I have seen sooooooo many games come over to Matrix Games in just 5 years, that I can't help thinking of the Borg when I think of Matrix Games :)

This is of course all just light hearted humour guys, I see no negative, stated or implied, in my comment, and none is wished.

I once tried to do a small survey form for the forum as a whole, to gauge how much interest each sub forum was being given. I quite frankly wouldn't want to try that notion again :)

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/18/2006 5:35:17 PM   
Marc von Martial

The Borgs are the coolest anyway 

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/18/2006 6:13:23 PM   
Zap

Let me be Borged by Matrix then. Just call me Zap Borg. where do I sign my life over to you Matrix.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 3
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/18/2006 6:16:32 PM   
Terminus

You mean you haven't already?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 4
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/19/2006 6:07:45 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile

I just couldn't help it

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/19/2006 6:39:55 PM   
sabre100

I am glad Matrix is taking over all these games, I hope they take on more.  They have the best customer service, excellent policy you can install the game on your laptop and desktop.  Their online purchase system rocks no weird activation schemes or non of that stuff.  I hope they continue to grow and make lots of money so they can show these other game companies how a true business is run "ie: Take care of your customers and people who support you by buying your games"

Way to go Matrix!

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 6
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/20/2006 7:37:33 AM   
SlapBone

Get to work on Illwinter! You guys need a fantasy game anyway.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 7
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/20/2006 7:36:22 PM   
pad152

quote:

Get to work on Illwinter! You guys need a fantasy game anyway.

Does Shrapnel have anything left besides Dominions? After waiting 5 years for 82nd Airbone I gave up!

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 8
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/20/2006 8:15:05 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Does Shrapnel have anything left besides Dominions? After waiting 5 years for 82nd Airbone I gave up!

There's the Prosim stuff (Armored Task Force, Falklands and Star & Crescent), of which I'm a pretty big fan, actually. Not a lot else, as far as wargames go, anyway. There's a Napoleonic naval game I keep intend to get around to trying, and the SP:WW2 and SP:MBT enhanced versions.

If there's anything I'd like to see Matrix pick up and give a bit more exposure too it is the ATF games (and a new one is one the way). They play pretty much like HttR/CotA only at a more tactical level.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 9
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/21/2006 6:58:19 AM   
old man of the sea

close combat now, next the world...

E

"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 10
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/22/2006 2:25:59 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SlapBone

You guys need a fantasy game anyway.

Heroes of Might & Magic VI by Matrix would rock!

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 11
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/22/2006 5:12:33 PM   
Hanal

If anyone out there decides to make a  turn based strategic campaign Lord of the Rings game (perhaps fashioned after the SPI board game War for Middle Earth) then they need to sign up here.......

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 12
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/22/2006 5:22:20 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SlapBone

You guys need a fantasy game anyway.

Heroes of Might & Magic VI by Matrix would rock!

Fantasy general. One of the best fantasy wargames ever made.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 13
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/22/2006 7:16:32 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have HOMM 2,3,4 and 5.

I don't think over all the current owners need any assistance actually. The 5th game looks like a return to 3 in some aspects, but the graphics sure are impressive.

Matrix Games is doing a lot of gamers a favour by giving some old classics a venue to return to circulation (something that people that already own the game seem to forget, is that if you don't already own it, you need a decent way to get it).

The current owners of Heroes have already released compilation options when they released 5 though.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 14
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/22/2006 8:39:37 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Man it sure takes a lot of scrolling to get to the bottom of the opening page of the forum these days.

I wonder how many games Matrix Games can actually absorb hehe.

Just thinking right now, I guess Wargamer's Borg was fun sounding, but this morning, I wonder if Son of Avalon Hill would have been better hehe. Nah, copywrite would ruin that likely hehe.

Or SPI Round 2 :)

Hey! did you guys know wargaming is dying? :)

Post #: 15
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/22/2006 9:14:51 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have HOMM 2,3,4 and 5.

I have all homms&expansions&patches plus the original Kings bounty. Amazon was nice to offer a collectors edition with all of them bundled together. Cost somthing like 50 bucks. Not a bad deal. I started with kings bounty and am currently playing through HoMM1 in scenario 4 of the campaign. The AI is offering tough resistance.

I even read the manuals. HoMM had a neat background story to the game.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 10/22/2006 9:22:35 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

Post #: 16
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/23/2006 1:36:43 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

If anyone out there decides to make a  turn based strategic campaign Lord of the Rings game (perhaps fashioned after the SPI board game War for Middle Earth) then they need to sign up here.......

Yeah, where's Matrixgames FANTASY wargames???? They got WWII out the ying yang and Sci-Fi crap. No Fantasy wargames. Guess Slitherine will have to fill that gap when they finish that one they are working on now. The Tin Soldiers series was great. Too bad Koios ran off into WWII land I was impressed with them before that.

A great hex based Fantasy wargame of old was "Swords & Scorery" by SPI, I'd like to see something like that come to the computer. We spent 100's of hours playing that one back in the late 70's. It was two games in one. A regular board wargame type of game and then a role playing game as well using the character leader cards. Fantasy General was merely OK it wasn't Swords & Sorcery though. And HOMM is nothing more than a power building fantasy game. The only strategy is building up your one hero into a demi-god and rolling up the maps with him/her.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 17
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/23/2006 3:49:12 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Can't effectively disagree with Ravinhood's assesment of HOMM.

If your main hero dies in the mid game, your screwed. You lost all the early game experience, you likely lost all your best treasures to the opposition. You will lose all the time required to generate a new force of troops.

Usually, if my main hero dies, I just throw in the towel.
With HOMM IV a main hero was ok in dragging around an underling Hero that benefited from just being in the battle. That aspect was nice, much better than trying to find opportunites for underlings with them out solo.

But to expect Matrix Games to sponsor a fantasy game is going to be a tricky manuever, as there are so many games to "do it better". I also would not expect say Ubisoft to have a lot of ease trying to outSteel Panthers either Matrix Games or SP Camo. No one would likely be in a hurry to think they were in any position to be experienced enough.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 18
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/23/2006 11:51:20 PM   
Dog robber

What the heck does a washed up Swedish tennis player have to do with Matrix?

Post #: 19
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/24/2006 1:15:22 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dog robber

What the heck does a washed up Swedish tennis player have to do with Matrix?

Hmm more importantly, am I the only other person that remembers that tennis player reference :)

(in reply to Dog robber)
Post #: 20
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/24/2006 1:32:51 AM   
watchtower

Yes Les you are. This is because you very, very OLD unlike some of us

Post #: 21
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/24/2006 2:17:16 AM   
pad152

Well, sadly the Matrix releases are just that a re-release, and not a remake. I wish Matrix would remake them (graphic make over, interface improvements, extra maps, new units), and not just make them work on XP with a few bug fixes and release them.

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 22
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/24/2006 2:48:34 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

Well, sadly the Matrix releases are just that a re-release, and not a remake. I wish Matrix would remake them (graphic make over, interface improvements, extra maps, new units), and not just make them work on XP with a few bug fixes and release them.

pad152, do you have the original versions? If yes, it's understandable why you might think the upcoming approach is sadly limited looking.
But for anyone that missed them, it is indeed good news.

I think over all, the games being re released will have a chance to put even more players into the scene, and that will probably just mean more potential players to square off against.

I also won't mind seeing eBayers unable to gouge a fan for a game that is old stock. And some of those sellers are not even selling legit copies sometimes.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 23
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/24/2006 4:04:16 AM   
Sarge

quote:

I have all copies of CC including CCI, and quite frequently play them on a old rig. I have even managed to get CCV to install on a XP rig but am constantly running into CTD‘s.

I would be ecstatic to re-visit the glory of CCII with out the hassles of booting up the old clunker. Working on a XP machine and the ability to play MP once again will be worth the price of admission alone, barring any other code improvements.

As any of you know that have checked the going cost of III on Ebay as Les stated, then combined with the OS hassles, Matrix revisiting the title is a blessing for the CC fans.

I really don’t see the difference between Matrix as a wargame publisher V’s ( insert name ) book publishing. I am certain most if not all of you can think of a long out of print book title, you would just love to get a second chance to experience.

How is Matrix revisiting older titles any different.

I prefer to look at the entertainment value/return of a title, then weigh out the investment .

PS: Hell , I wish I could get the same return from the Market that I have achieved from Matrix.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 24
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/24/2006 9:10:13 AM   
Zakhal

Few years ago I played them all through (from CC2 to CC5) with windows XP nontheless so its definetly possible run them. I dont remember any problems aside from the scratchy CDs. IIRC they were pretty easy to set up.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 25
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/24/2006 10:28:05 PM   
pad152

I own CC I & II, I enjoyed them both, but also remember the poor tank path finding, you try to move a tank and it does a dance (backs up, inches forward) five or six times before going any where. Then there are the issues and features that Atomic never want to seemed to address. I'm up for a remake or big makeover but just not a re-release! I'm not sure how many newbies Matrix will get without offering something new then just a re-release!

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 26
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/24/2006 10:32:11 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

Well at least I'll now have a chance to play 12 O'Clock High. I played BoB to death but never found a store in Australia that carried the sequel.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 27
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/25/2006 12:55:21 AM   
Speedysteve

quote:

A DECENT LOTR game would be fantastic..........

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 28
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/25/2006 10:07:32 AM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

quote:

A DECENT LOTR game would be fantastic..........

Yes and definitely NOT RTS.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 29
RE: Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) - 10/25/2006 6:20:35 PM   
Zakhal

I doubt matrix could ever afford a LOTR licence. Electronic Arts makes all LoTR games IIRC. Perhaps a new version of War of the Lance -game based on the dragonlance. That was quite good at its time.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/war-of-the-lance

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rename Matrix Games to The Wargamer's Borg :) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI