Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR-Cold War Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> After Action Reports >> AAR-Cold War Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR-Cold War Games - 10/20/2006 10:03:46 PM   
Flankerk

This is a scenario set at 4/10/58 using the Colonial Wars Database,and has been built by Mike Mykytyn.

The usual spoiler alert warning applies.
The game was played through in 3.7.

I chose to play as the Northern Fleet ( Severniy Flot).
The game starts at 5.30. My Orbat consisted of two Whiskey 1 class ( S-96 and S-144), a detached Skoriy class ( Sposobnyy ) and a three ship surface action group centred on a Sverdlov class ( Ordzhonikidze).The accompanying ships ,Smyshleny and Sovershenny being a Kotlin and Skory respectively.

The setting was off the Norwegian coast, between Bodo and Andoya.

At game start my orders specified engaging NATO ships,but warned of potential air attacks. I initially set all surface ships to passive Emcon,while using the submarines as scouts.These were set to cruise speed and periscope depth.I did not anticipate the Whiskeys sonar suite as providing much warning of attack otherwise.

Initially this tactic worked,with only one air contact detected and an unspecified surface contact.The air contact was soon classed as a Catalina.

6.19 The plan goes badly wrong as Sposobnyy visually detects 2 KNM Rapp MTB's at close range. Sensors set to active.

6.20 Both MTB's classed as hostile and soon afterwards sunk by gunfire,however several torpedoes launched.Sposobnyy set to evade at flank speed.

6.29 SAG set to active as a small air strike from Bodo inbound. Torpedo strike on Sposobnyy deemed to have missed. S-144 is close to a good position on a group of three ships closing on the position at 12 knots.

6.30 Strike is classed as two Thunderstreaks.

6.32 Something of a disaster as Smyshleny is hit by the Thunderstreaks and sunk.

6.37 A second small strike from Andoya with Sabres manages to sink Sovershenny.

6.38 The three ship group is classed as being two Daring types and a Fiji class.

6.42 The group is now classed as NATO and hostile. S-144 is about 5NM from the front of the formation,slows to creep and dives to shallow.

7.11 With the closest ship at 1 NM or less a full spread of 6 of the 53-56 wakehoming torpedoes is fired,two at each ship.
Somewhat depressingly ,no hits being scored.

7.32 Ordzhonikidze opens fire on one of the Daring class,the second has vanished into the radar shadow of a small island. ( Initially it was thought the ship had been lost to a wake homer ).

7.37 Contact thought to be sinking.

7.39 Fiji engaged.

7.52 The second Daring and Fiji accelerate to 24 knots and close on Ordzhonikidze.However several salvoes in succession strike Fiji and gunnery is switched to the missing Daring.

8.00 All contacts sunk.

8.18 2 KNM Rapp class detected but not classified as hostile.Engaged and sunk anyway as the last were.

8.26 Incoming Sabre strike runs into a wall of 100mm flak.

The game ended with a loss,all victory conditions triggered but for the failure to protect the two ships. However both my anti aircraft was particularly bad on this attempt, while the bombing was especially accurate. You tend to know when a 2000 lb bomb hits one of your ships....

This is a typically challenging but fast moving scenario. It would be a fast paced game for multiplayer use.
As ever its nice to use some unusual units.

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.
Post #: 1
RE: AAR-Cold War Games - 10/23/2006 2:20:03 PM   
ComDev

Nice one Steve!

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to Flankerk)
Post #: 2
RE: AAR-Cold War Games - 10/23/2006 3:12:47 PM   
SIRIUS01

Great AAR Mike I'll get it uploaded on the site tonite

"Well old boy,this happens in war.I am sorry your ships have been sunk"
- C-in-C PAF to his naval counterpart in 1971

(in reply to Flankerk)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> After Action Reports >> AAR-Cold War Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI