Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Threads?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> After Action Reports >> New Threads? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Threads? - 10/25/2006 5:54:08 AM   
Cpt_Aubrey

The powers that be,

Could we set up two new categories (not Threads at this level) where folks can post comments on Suggestions For Game Improvement (not Bugs) as well as a General Game Play section where one can ask more advanced players how to play the game better, i.e. What is the range of effectiveness of the Prowler's jamming pods?

Post #: 1
RE: New Threads? - 10/25/2006 11:41:56 AM   
Dimitris

A dedicated forum for tactics & gameplay already exists at the Harpooner's Point forums, here: http://www.harpoonhq.com/phpBB2/

As to the question asked. There is no "set in stone" effective range for the jammers on the EA-6B. The effective range is determined by several factors, among them:

- Version of the Prowler. Later versions have much more powerful & sophisticated gear than the early mods.
- Type of the radar being jammed. An old SA-2 radar is usually a milk run for a modern EA-6B; the very same jammer may sweat against a SA-10/12/20 system.
- Presence of other jammers nearby.
- Overall geometry of the tactical situation. It is different if the assets you are trying to screen (by jamming) are directly between the jammer and the threat, or if they are well offset, or if they are hidden (screened) by the jammer itself. (Usually you will prefer the latter situation but it is not always feasible).

You can set up various test situations in the scenario editor and experiment in order to get a good "feel" of the danger threshold for each situation. Be aware that each different Harpoon database may have different values, so the "lessons learned" in one DB may or may not apply to anothers.

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 10/25/2006 1:03:37 PM >

(in reply to Cpt_Aubrey)
Post #: 2
RE: New Threads? - 10/25/2006 12:24:18 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpt_Aubrey

comments on Suggestions For Game Improvement (not Bugs)

What improvements were you thinking about? Perhaps some of them can be accommodated within the existing parameters? Certainly, with the multitiude of database editors out there, quite a few unique work-around solutions have already been found.

Our discussions usually start out with, "Gee, I'd like to do this" , or, "Would it be possible to do That?" Then, someone starts looking at ways to push the boundaries of the Database, Scenario Editor, or Game Engine. Take a look at the http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FilesOfScenShare/database and you can see some of the techniques devised.

FilesOfScenShare

HarpGamer.com - Home of the HCDB.

(in reply to Cpt_Aubrey)
Post #: 3
RE: New Threads? - 10/29/2006 12:50:46 AM   
Cpt_Aubrey

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Regarding Sunburn's comment, I have TRIED to access HarpoonHQ's site already. However, the account that I opened does not appear to work even after a week since I registered. Hopefully, I'll have access to that site soon.

PS - Sunburn, Bond rules!!

(in reply to Cpt_Aubrey)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> After Action Reports >> New Threads? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI