Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Japan... suggestions please.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Japan... suggestions please. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Japan... suggestions please. - 10/29/2006 2:29:07 PM   
templeton

Hi,

Whilst I've got to grips with Germay, and can now last until at least 1943 before it all goes pear shaped (I only got the game last Thursday), I find I am struggling with Japan.

Both in terms of what I should be doing, but mostly in terms of what to build - where to mass supplies and troops in preparation for the invasion of the Philippines, Dutch East Indies - and the attack on Pearl Harbour.

How many supplies should one stock-pile - where should these be kept? What sorts of forces to build (if any)... which bits of China to grab, and which bits to leave alone...

Should one attack the US, or let them build up and be the ones to declare war?

Would be interested in hearing thoughts on this, or being directed somewhere I might find some detailed strategical considerations outside the manual guide.
Post #: 1
RE: Japan... suggestions please. - 10/29/2006 3:43:18 PM   
Timmeh

What to buy when you dont have any money???

Japan is probably, like WaW 1, the hardest nation to play well. With the lowest production totals to start some tough decisions have to be made. The following list should give you some things to consider when playing Japan.

- a single tank que'd on turn one will allow you to use combined arms bonus against the Chinese if you choose to attack them.

- bombers ( a personal must ) because of their lower cost (3 turn build) compared to everyone else ( 4 turns ). I like to use them to attack Chinese factories early, then use them on CAP later in the game to cover your transports ( tech land attack up to 4 and ASW to atleast 2 )

- transports... with the new amphip rules you need to be careful when preping for the DEI sweep if you choose to go that way. Remember that amphib cap is used the entire length of a units journey to its invasion point, so if attacking 3 or 4 territories in the DEI on the first turn of attack requires units and transports already one space away from the target.

- Also consider building a para unit or two to lighten the load on the transports as they can hit Maylaya and the Philippines from Korea and easily take out the militia there.

- avoid attacking inland China too early as you lose the 5 rp gift from the US. wait until late 40/or 41 to attack inland ( and be prepared to repair right away)

- As far as pearl harbour is concerned, with the new op-fire rules for ships entering a sea space containing a CV and CAG unit you can consider staying on station in pearl for a turn after invasion as the US can't respond right away if you attack on the historical time line. ( tech up CAG evasion and possibly torp attack)

- pay attention to Allied sub upgrades, if you fail to upgrade at least one unit ( CAG, DD or heavy bomber you will suffer if they tech up subs to 3 evasion )

- Never let the Wallies DOW you first... check out my current AAR and you'll see the trouble caused to Japan by the Wallies blocking access to threaten the Indian Ocean after being allowed to DOW first.

< Message edited by Timmeh -- 10/29/2006 3:58:05 PM >

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 2
RE: Japan... suggestions please. - 10/29/2006 3:53:40 PM   
christian brown

If possible, have adequate supply (5 per CV+CAG if you are not next door to Pearl) for your strike force, usually 25, plus min 50 to launch attacks and then repair the resources in the DEI, 75-100 is clearly better, keep these supplies in Indochina along with 7 inf/mil and enough TFs to make a clean sweep of the DEI, use the paratroop you already have for manila and kill the LF there before you land, use a CAG if you can spare one, remember that CAGs do quite well on their own, a CV to land on is NOT a prerequisite ; )
Personal preference: don´t mess with mainland China until after at war with the US and DO build 1 or 2 tanks no matter what, even if only used to garrison Manchuria and keep the Russian guessing there.

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Timmeh)
Post #: 3
RE: Japan... suggestions please. - 10/29/2006 7:39:16 PM   
Uncle_Joe

The posts above covered a lot of the the key issues. Christian's strategy write-up in the back of the manual is a big help too and contains a lot of great ideas for you.

In general, Japan is in a better position than in WaW. It takes considerably less supply to move the fleets around provided you move slowly enough to not draw extended supply. You also have a few more turns with which to build up the required supplies and tech to DoW the US.

A lot depends on your German strategy though. If Germany is attacking Russia in Sp/Su41, then you should be prepared to attack the WAllies in Fa41/Wi42. You want to time your 'peak' with Germany's in Russia. Ideally you'd like to be able to take the Strategic Points in Australia or India and combine those with Germany's points in Russia for the AV (or at least a favorable victory shift).

IMO, NEVER let the US DoW you. You need the suprise attack on Pearl to weed out their fleets a little and you definately dont want to give them a turn in which to reinforce their exposed positions in the DEI or to be able to withdraw their transports that are sitting ducks frozen all over the Pacific.

Your whole early game strategy should be geared into slowly getting into positions to maximize conquest of resources sites on the turn of your attack and to kill as many of those exposed TRs as you can. If you kill enough, you can buy some time before the US can make (non-suicidal) counter attacks.

I also concur with the folks above that you dont want to move inland on China until after you are already at war with the US. Instead, pound their factories and rail lines with air units. This will paralyze China as well as potentially give your pilots some experience which will come in handy later on in the war.

Overall, for me, Japan is the most entertaining country to play. She has a lot of potential targets to pick and choose from. The trick is to try not to over-extend. Make your goals, and time it with Germany. Dont get in over your head because you do not have the econ to replace major losses. Unless you put some CVs in the production line in the 39, you likely wont ever had more than what you start with. So each one you lose is extremely painful.

< Message edited by Uncle_Joe -- 10/29/2006 7:44:39 PM >

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 4
RE: Japan... suggestions please. - 10/29/2006 8:02:30 PM   
GKar

Thanks for all the tips guys!
Japan was my weak spot in the first W@W and I plan to better on that.

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 5
RE: Japan... suggestions please. - 10/29/2006 8:42:38 PM   
christian brown

I hate to jump on a bandwagon but I too had trouble with Japan in the past and now have quite a lot more fun with it.  With elite or vet CAGs and tech updrades in EV, AA and Torp Attack value, these guys can be FEARSOME.  Don´t be afraid to close with the US right after Pearl, you can wipe almost all the ships and planes in SW USA on turn 2 of your attack, setting them back a long time.  As always, the really tough part is the supply issue, which is why you really have to go out of your way to slowly move your ships around.  As Uncle_Joe states above, apart from the air action over China, the rest of your time early in the game should be spent getting everything perfectly ready for a devastating first turn attack.  And yes, they do have so many options: China, China/Russia, Pearl/Russia, Pearl+India, Australia: their options really are the widest open of all the powers, they are really fun to play (too bad they are always broke, lol.)

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 6
RE: Japan... suggestions please. - 10/29/2006 8:44:24 PM   
templeton

Thanks for the comments... I'm struggling with the depth of the game, and it does have a steep learning curve before you start to get a grip on 'cause and effect' in terms of your choices.

What I like about this game is that is engrossing as some of the more complex board games, where you have to be planning for two or three turns ahead and rewards detailed planning.

The inclusion of logistics is fantastic, and something that too many games ignore - although at first glance this game may look like Axis and Allies, there will be no Japanese tanks attacking Moscow from the East, and no attacks on all fronts every turn....

I shall now start a new thread about the Med, and what to do with North Africa...

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Japan... suggestions please. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI