Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DAK... the med and North Africa... suggestions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> DAK... the med and North Africa... suggestions? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DAK... the med and North Africa... suggestions? - 10/29/2006 8:49:26 PM   
templeton

Hi, before I even start on asking about Russia - I should mention the other area where I find myself somewhat struggling with. (incidently, I've only played the AI so far, so these issues might be a moot point against a human player)

As the Germans, I feel I've got to grips with the Poles, and can now knock out France without too much issue... by this point, I'm usually looking at a late '40 early '41 invasion of the Balkans, and having Italy join the alliance.

Then my problems start... my whole Russia timetable goes down the tubes, and I find that I'm having trouble as the Italians keeping the Med empty of British ships, so I can get some rienforcements to Africa. When I have managed to get a tank, artillery and some German soliders to boost the Italian forces (along with supply), I find myself wondering what to do?

As historically, I lack the hitting power to take Cairo, and going after North Africa completely throws out any chance to attack Russia in early 1941... (or perhaps I'm just not good enough!).

This I like, because this is the problem Hitler faced... however, I lack a bunch of Gernerals giving me suggestions!

SO; What can/should be done in North Africa... can I afford to abandon it, or should I at least stick some Italian troops in to tie up the Allies in North Africa?

What other Med strategies are there?
Post #: 1
RE: DAK... the med and North Africa... suggestions? - 10/29/2006 10:20:39 PM   
christian brown

As the Axis, the Med is virtually handed to you on a silver platter. How? you ask...
SPEED is of the essence, you want to secure this area and move on in 3 turns, so that makes Fall of France plus 3 turns=Winter1941, leaving you ready for Barbarrossa for Spring/Summer1941, right on time! Barring massive WA reinforcements to Malta before the Fall of France, this island ought not to pose many problems to you (if you notice a huge investment by the WA in this theater, build a bunch of transports and go for Sea-Lion, the British cannot hold both in force.) Turn one of your attack should see you sending major forces to Tobruk with all Italian fleets holding the central Med, covered by a least one fighter and as many tac, heavy or CAG air over them. Send the paratroop there as well, with an HB to carry it, positioned at Tobruk, the entire east coast of the med is threatened and the WA player will have to cover everything. Turn 2, either drive acros the desert to Cairo or at least advance right next to it, keep your trnasport link covered as above with fleets and air. Voila! It goes without saying that it is ALWAYS prudent to bring inf/art/mech/air combos for the CA bonus. Turn 3 has you moving on Cairo, all that´s left is the mop up toward Iraq. There are times when you can be bolder and land directly at Jordan or Syria, but this cannot be counted on. Seriously consider leaving normal air or CAGs in Sardinia, these will op-fire any fleets passing by and seriously impede any WA naval moves toward your transport link. I hope this helps, clearly there are variations on this theme, but hey, this is generally (more or less) what happens. Note that Yugo can and should be taken as soon as it leans allied, getting a trade agreement with them on turn one is a good way to provoke the pro-allied coup quickly.

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/29/2006 10:30:09 PM >

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> DAK... the med and North Africa... suggestions? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI