Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fog Of War (FOW)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Fog Of War (FOW) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 1:24:56 AM   
Ullern

Hello.
I’m back after being off for two months. Glad to see the hoard of new information waiting for me. I took me nearly four hours to get through and that was despite the fact that I just paged down past a lot of info that I didn’t really read.

Up to date on life: I have just started my 20th WIF campaign or scenario (not including 5 turn scenarios or CWIF games). (Did you want to know anything else? No no.)

I have a few points I want to make about Fog of War (FOW).
FOW is an optional rule from CWIF that Steve intends to take into MWIF (last time I checked). A lot have been said earlier (see thread Option 63 -- Intelligence). Some of the major concerns have been that FOW would change the game a lot. I agree completely but then again: it will be an optional, not something mandatory in any way. The main pro idea for a FOW rule is that many people find it unrealistic and unsatisfactory to decide a game on who’s best at calculating combat factors and movement (which I also agree happens too often).

FOW is already an essential part of WIF the board game (RAW). What is it?
It’s uncertainty. You don’t really know where opposing forces are, and if you know you still don’t know their exact strength compared to yourself.

In WIF the FOW is made up by:

• A split in impulses that gives the active side the possibility to make a complete 15 day move (on average), while the other side can’t react.
  • Giving land units too high movement.
  • Giving land units a freedom of movement that is unrealistic (not any axes of advance rules and no queuing problems ever).
  • Land units attacking don’t get any benefit for knowing their enemy, or penalties for not knowing them or not knowing the terrain.
  • Land units at sea can invade at any hex from the sea zone.
  • FOW is one of the reasons for variation of result in land combat and air combat
  • The surprise rolls maintains the FOW at Sea.
  • ... and maybe some points I forgot.

To sum up the basic idea in board game WIF is that you know everything about the unit except it’s intentions. Then each side has a fairly long timer period to reveal and implement the units missions before the other side can react, and there is absolutely no penalties for changing directions of attack each impulse (and no benefits by staying on course).

Example: German advance reaches USSR controlled Vitebsk. He’s got nothing on the flanks but more units will reach Vitebsk next impulse. Since the German player think the attack is too risky it’s delayed to await better odds. Furthermore Gomel is not defended, and Germany sees the potential in staying face up and moving there next impulse.

How should the USSR react to this in an “ideal” setting?
If the USSR believed that the units around Vitebsk were all that there was in the front, then the USSR wouldn’t need to defend the road to Gomel, and could concentrate on dealing with the defence of Vitebsk. If the Germans started doing anything else the USSR would then be able to move units to defend Gomel, and didn’t have to do it in advance. Of course the USSR couldn’t know for certain that there weren’t any other units on the flank, so the USSR probably would have to take some precautions.

How is this solved in WIF?
The USSR knows that the units around Vitebsk are actually all there is, but since the move to Gomel can be completed in a single impulse, and the German are not in any way penalised for doing so, the USSR are forced to take precautions regardless.

How would this work in WIF if there existed unknown units?
I believe this situation wouldn’t exist at all in a game with hidden units!
Because in my 10+ years of experience with WIF, the move through enemy line is so powerful that anyone is usually willing to do anything to prevent it. I would say that 95% of the time you would rather withdraw first than allow a unit at the back of your lines. So what would happen is more like:
German player would be afraid USSR had a hidden attack force around Gomel and instead of moving up to Vitebsk as fast as he could, the German player will advance in an orderly line waiting for the slower units.

Is that an improvement to WIF?

My point here is that simply removing information from the screen may not be a good choice if not done intelligently. I believe FOW easily will lead to more defensive play by both sides.

I like the idea of an optional FOW rule and I will try to define a rule as much in line with ordinary WIF as possible. Considering this is MWIF and Steves regard for easy solutions. I will only try to define a solution that is as easy as possible. But because implementing hidden information so easily changes game play drastically it won’t be very spectacular.

Nils
Post #: 1
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 1:26:32 AM   
Ullern

FOW rule suggestion:
Any unit has status: “know” or “unknown”
Known units: all information is visible.
Unknown units: the generic type symbol is shown, the colour of the country is shown, and for land units also the division/corps/army symbol is shown.

An unknown Berlin MIL would be presented by a German grey counter with a grey MIL symbol in the centre (not revealing its white print (elite) status).

The above description for units also applies to some markers like oil markers.

Changing the status from unknown to known happens with every unit in the hex next too where your land units have stacked or your air unit have fought at any time during the turn (but not units just flown over). Units at sea does not make units at the coast known unless you use your carrier planes to fight any sort of A2A or A2G combat in the hex you’re interested in. Reset every unit to unknown at end of turn. (Then you are next to some which immediately becomes known again.)

I believe this to be the simplest optional rule I ever advised for a complex problem. I think the solution makes quite a lot of sense. And I believe that it gives both sides the same kind of choices as in regular WIF, except that you can’t do all the fine tuning and accounting that we so often see.
You’d still be able to fine tune land attacks though – or not quite, you wouldn’t know the exact stats on your enemy’s airplanes. - It just “blurs” information.

I also have a more complex solution but the implication on the rules for implementing a more truthful FOW rule is really dramatic. So I am keeping that for a version 3 of MWIF.

< Message edited by ullern -- 10/30/2006 1:29:05 AM >

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 2
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 1:43:02 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Nils,

Sorry to be a damper on your enthusiasm for this topic, but, ...

- due to the complexity of both defining and implementing FOW,
- in combination with a general lack of interest from the majority of experienced WIF players,
- I decided to remove FOW from MWIF product 1.

I'll try to solve the design problems and code it for MWIF product 2 (or 3).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 3
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 1:53:34 AM   
Ullern

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 4
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 1:54:14 AM   
Ullern

Well better than a bad FOW rule

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 5
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 8:30:16 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

ORIGINAL: ullern

Well better than a bad FOW rule

Agreed

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 6
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 8:43:52 PM   
macgregor

I'm glad you're keeping the idea alive. It'd change the game quite a bit. Forgive me if it's already been answered but, will builds be viewable by opponents?

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 7
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 8:51:14 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

I'm glad you're keeping the idea alive. It'd change the game quite a bit. Forgive me if it's already been answered but, will builds be viewable by opponents?

Visibility of enemy stuff will match the board game, so yes. But, like the owner, the opponent will only see the backside of units in production.

Steve

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 8
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 10:01:18 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
quote:

Visibility of enemy stuff will match the board game, so yes. But, like the owner, the opponent will only see the backside of units in production.

Normaly, under WiF FE, once all the units have been chosen, the owner should see what he built, that is have the builts face-up. It is a ghost of a long past past to have them face-down. Normaly all players should see all the builts, when the builts are over.

There was an option in MWiF so that the builts were hidden.

Post #: 9
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 11:29:23 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
quote:

quote:

Normaly, under WiF FE, once all the units have been chosen, the owner should see what he built, that is have the builts face-up. It is a ghost of a long past past to have them face-down. Normaly all players should see all the builts, when the builts are over.

There was an option in MWiF so that the builts were hidden.

Eh? What did he say? Wait for me to turn up my hearing aid. Hosts of past longings? Is he talking about a young Hugh Hefner? I remember back when I first played WIF, none of these new-fangled 10 sided dice and seeing what was built before Xmas morning.--------------

I have FOW for builds accompanying it's big brother FOW in the queue for future products.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 10
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 11:48:24 PM   
CBoehm

quote:

I have FOW for builds accompanying it's big brother FOW in the queue for future products.

So if I understand you right ...not even the owner will know what he is building? damn, thats tough for CW so he wont know where to rebase his TRNs in order to pick up units ...

Post #: 11
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 11:51:20 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

...I remember back when I first played WIF, none of these new-fangled 10 sided dice and seeing what was built before Xmas morning.--------------

You had dice ???
We had to carve rocks into the shape of dice and then gnaw holes in the sides to mark the numbers on them.
But you tell that to the youth of today and they won't believe you

/Greyshaft

Post #: 12
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/30/2006 11:54:56 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: CBoehm
quote:

So if I understand you right ...not even the owner will know what he is building? damn, thats tough for CW so he wont know where to rebase his TRNs in order to pick up units ...

I rather understood it on the contrary way, that is that FoG is also abandonned for built units.
Anyway, builts are not hidden in WiF FE, so I suppose they won't be hidden neither in MWiF.

(in reply to CBoehm)
Post #: 13
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/31/2006 12:11:56 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

quote:

I rather understood it on the contrary way, that is that FoG is also abandonned for built units.
Anyway, builts are not hidden in WiF FE, so I suppose they won't be hidden neither in MWiF.

yes.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 14
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/31/2006 12:19:56 AM   
CBoehm

must be sleepy ...or getting paranoid ....or both ...

Post #: 15
RE: Fog Of War (FOW) - 10/31/2006 7:52:00 PM   
trees trees

quote:

That is a ghost of WiF past, i.e. that is the way the CW used to build units, or heck, perhaps that is just the way groups I was in played it. But I'm fairly sure it is now explicit that when you draw a unit it is placed on the production spiral face-up, so even the Japanese know that the 2 Aus INF Corps is due to finish training in another month. There are still some players who chafe at the CW being forced to draw from pools containing units from elsewhere in the Empire, but I like the way the system simulates the political coalition that was the Commonwealth. Churchill couldn't be sure when Australia or South Africa could commit another Infantry division to Europ, and neither should WiF players.

(in reply to CBoehm)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Fog Of War (FOW) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI