Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Our Ages.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Our Ages..... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/18/2004 6:27:17 AM   
Copper

only 17, but i was there at Austerlitz, Ver dun, and El Alamien!

< Message edited by Copper -- 7/4/2004 11:42:13 PM >

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 181
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/18/2004 12:46:28 PM   
Lex Talionis

quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lex Talionis

But for me "Arnhem" was the daddy of them all. From looking at the "Highway To The Reich" site, HTTR seems to be based on the Spectrum "Arnhem" original! Been meaning to get that game.

Yup, I remember Arnhem, by R.T Smith (I think he works on the AI for the Total War series now, not sure tho). He also did Desert Rats as well, which was brill. Arnhem though, yeah that was a classic. AI was dumb as anything, but I enjoyed trying to hold onto the bridge with my paras against overwhelming odds whilst XXX Corps tried to make it up the highway..great stuff. He also did one based on Torch as well, never played that one though.

Another speccy game I liked was based on the Lynx helicopter, you had to shuttle troops all over this map to bolster defences and engage in A/G combat as well, having to outfit your Lynx with either troops or munitions...great game.

BTW I am 33 next tuesday!

Combat Lynx!!! was the name of it. I had it too but would never survive too long. I didn't like the "view from behind" perspective, it didn't allow you too target well at all. Thinking back now, the sound fx for it were terrible. Who'd have thought back then we'd now have games, graphics and sounds that we do now.

If we think that the games, graphics and sounds are good now, I wonder what they'll be like in say 5-10 years from now???

Will they be a virtual world? Will it cook your dinner and do your ironing aswell??? And will it call in sick for you when we're still only as far as playing turn 875 of WITP which will be by then an obsolete and rated as a classic game and viewed similar to Pacwar.

"Time is an adversary that suffers no casualties and never retreats; only advances."

(formerly "Skeletor" until the hack attack)

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 182
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/18/2004 1:36:00 PM   
ctid98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

Hi,

------------47---------- 1st computer wargame was Eastern Front? by Chris Crawford but it was GG and SSI that got me hooked.

Love the name "IronDuke". Wellington aside, probably one ofthe best names for a battleship ever. "Warspite" is another. Dreadnought of course. The British had some of the best names, along with France. (Sans Pareil is brilliant) Was never a big fan of naming ships after towns, states, counties however. Boring and politically motivated.

Then of course you have the British tradition of naming ships after girlfriends and wifes: HMS Battleaxe..........

---------------------
Tora! Tora! Tora!

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 183
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/18/2004 3:51:13 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctid98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

Hi,

------------47---------- 1st computer wargame was Eastern Front? by Chris Crawford but it was GG and SSI that got me hooked.

Love the name "IronDuke". Wellington aside, probably one ofthe best names for a battleship ever. "Warspite" is another. Dreadnought of course. The British had some of the best names, along with France. (Sans Pareil is brilliant) Was never a big fan of naming ships after towns, states, counties however. Boring and politically motivated.

Then of course you have the British tradition of naming ships after girlfriends and wifes: HMS Battleaxe..........

And parts of their anatomy? HMS Pink of the Flower class, or more appropriately, deFlowered class.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to ctid98)
Post #: 184
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/18/2004 3:52:00 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Thought it was after mother-in-laws

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 185
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/18/2004 4:04:41 PM   
Sonny

There was no Tacitcs I (I didn't know it at the time and kept looking). It was named Tatics II (IIRC) because it represented WW II - not because it was the second game of that name.

(At least that is how I remember it - but that was long long ago).

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 186
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/19/2004 1:10:26 AM   
kev_uk

quote:

quote:

quote:

But for me "Arnhem" was the daddy of them all. From looking at the "Highway To The Reich" site, HTTR seems to be based on the Spectrum "Arnhem" original! Been meaning to get that game.

Yup, I remember Arnhem, by R.T Smith (I think he works on the AI for the Total War series now, not sure tho). He also did Desert Rats as well, which was brill. Arnhem though, yeah that was a classic. AI was dumb as anything, but I enjoyed trying to hold onto the bridge with my paras against overwhelming odds whilst XXX Corps tried to make it up the highway..great stuff. He also did one based on Torch as well, never played that one though.

Another speccy game I liked was based on the Lynx helicopter, you had to shuttle troops all over this map to bolster defences and engage in A/G combat as well, having to outfit your Lynx with either troops or munitions...great game.

BTW I am 33 next tuesday!

Combat Lynx!!! was the name of it. I had it too but would never survive too long. I didn't like the "view from behind" perspective, it didn't allow you too target well at all. Thinking back now, the sound fx for it were terrible. Who'd have thought back then we'd now have games, graphics and sounds that we do now.

If we think that the games, graphics and sounds are good now, I wonder what they'll be like in say 5-10 years from now???

Will they be a virtual world? Will it cook your dinner and do your ironing aswell??? And will it call in sick for you when we're still only as far as playing turn 875 of WITP which will be by then an obsolete and rated as a classic game and viewed similar to Pacwar.

Yeah Combat Lynx! Yes, it was bloody awkward to control the damn thing, I remember that alright, but I loved the aspect of having to layout your Lynx, how many troops, A/G weaponary etc.

Did you ever play Desert Rats or the Torch one? Desert Rats was great, spent many a evening playing that whilst I should have been revising for my O levels...fond memories. Lord of Midnight? Doomdarks Revenge? Classics, firmly engrained in the memory of my youth of early gaming.....

Yes, the future for gaming from the halycon days of the 80s looks promising. What I am looking forward to is a learning AI, an AI which learns from your moves/tactics/strategy and adapts as necessary. Neural networks offered something similar, but that seemed to die a death, unless I am mistaken.

(in reply to Lex Talionis)
Post #: 187
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/19/2004 2:50:04 AM   
joliverlay

49!

I remember tactics II, midway, gettesburg (rectulanger counters)....Avalon Hill and then came Strategy and Tactics

Favorites:

Boardgames: War in Russia, War in the East, War in Europe! S&T Pacific War

Computer Games: War in Russia, Bombing the Reich, North Atlantic 86, and USAAF (all by Gary Grigsby it think.)

25 mm minitures (ancients....have not played in over 20 years!)

Now of couse UV and soon War in the Pacific!

I thought war gaming had died before I found Matrix Games. Thank you so much!

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 188
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/19/2004 8:18:16 AM   
52nd Lowland

Arnhem was a great game for the Speccy..i remember getting a copy out of the local library and just keeping itDesert Rats was great as well but wasnt too keen on Vulcan,the Operation Torch version.
I remember Combat Lynx as well,thought that was a good game for its time,especially using the lay minefield option to protect ur bases while shuttling about the map with troops etc.
Those were the days

Post #: 189
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/19/2004 4:36:22 PM   
Lex Talionis

quote:

Yeah Combat Lynx! Yes, it was bloody awkward to control the damn thing, I remember that alright, but I loved the aspect of having to layout your Lynx, how many troops, A/G weaponary etc.

Did you ever play Desert Rats or the Torch one? Desert Rats was great, spent many a evening playing that whilst I should have been revising for my O levels...fond memories. Lord of Midnight? Doomdarks Revenge? Classics, firmly engrained in the memory of my youth of early gaming.....

Yes, the future for gaming from the halycon days of the 80s looks promising. What I am looking forward to is a learning AI, an AI which learns from your moves/tactics/strategy and adapts as necessary. Neural networks offered something similar, but that seemed to die a death, unless I am mistaken.

I never played Desert Rats or Torch at all. Didn't know how to get hold of them I was young and naive. Arnhem was purely luck, it was given me by a friend who didn't like it, lucky me. Don't remember Lord of Midnight? Doomdarks Revenge?, though my brothers may have had them. Stupid really, we each had our own collections.

"Time is an adversary that suffers no casualties and never retreats; only advances."

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 190
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/19/2004 4:41:33 PM   
Lex Talionis

quote:

ORIGINAL: 52nd Lowland

Arnhem was a great game for the Speccy..i remember getting a copy out of the local library and just keeping itDesert Rats was great as well but wasnt too keen on Vulcan,the Operation Torch version.
I remember Combat Lynx as well,thought that was a good game for its time,especially using the lay minefield option to protect ur bases while shuttling about the map with troops etc.
Those were the days

Thats probably why I used to lose all the time: spent too much time putting an impenatrable barrier of minefields around the main base that the others were easily captured. You spent ages deciding on weapons loadouts after assessing the current situation, then as soon as you were enroute to another base, they would attack another and you'd have all the wrong hardware to counter them, and not enough fuel.

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 191
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/19/2004 5:00:23 PM   
52nd Lowland

Yep going towards the end of the game in Combat Lynx the enemy would be swarming around your main base as all the others had been captured D O H
However it was a good premise to start with and i did spend a long period of time playing the game..if only to lose every single time.
I still play Arnhem and Desert Rats after downloading them from the Underdogs website,so much for the passage of time affecting those classics.

Post #: 192
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/19/2004 5:08:03 PM   
Marc von Martial

31, turning 32 in August.

KAMPFGRUPPE and PANZERGRENADIER on the C64 started all this crap .

Before the C64 I had a tabletop game (don´t recall the company) called "Fulda Gap". But nobody played it with me and it was too complex (at that age) to play alone.

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 193
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/1/2006 8:37:23 PM   
pauk

ahhh... we were young....

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 194
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/1/2006 9:41:44 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

hehehe, the good old times (and forums names)

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 195
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/1/2006 10:47:46 PM   
pauk

yes, some of them are MIA...

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 196
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 12:29:27 AM   
m10bob

Not 60 yet.

Master practitioner of the P 38 at night.

Proud (albeit humble) creator of the canteen cup Peach cobbler/pound cake delight!

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 197
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 1:12:49 AM   
VSWG

quote:

Speak for yourself! I'm 26.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 198
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 1:13:23 AM   
langley

45 (46 in three months)
Started by playing some of the old SSI games in the early 1980's like "warship".

"My God, I hope you don't blame me for this. I had no idea where you were."
Air Vice-marshal Pulford upon the loss of "Force Z"

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 199
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 1:36:08 AM   
captskillet

50, started out with Ah's Panzer Leader back in 1979!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 200
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 1:40:00 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

I cant beleive you resurrected this......

True, however, a lot of old names are MIA.....

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 201
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 2:02:51 AM   
Naskra

56, at it since Tactics II

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 202
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 2:08:28 AM   
Naskra

Btw, to you old Gettysburg players:  Don't you think attacking Heth's Division on both flanks with Gamble and Devin's Cav Brigades on the 1st turn to get 2-1 odds was just a mite gamey?

(in reply to Naskra)
Post #: 203
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 2:09:04 AM   
TOMLABEL

Just turned 40 on April 18th - the same date that Doolittle bombed Tokyo.

The first wargame I owned was Avalon Hill's MIDWAY. I then ventured into their Squad Leader plus its expansion games. Then it was World In Flames, SPI's Pacific Theater and European Theater. The first PC wargames I played was High Command and Task Force 1942.

I'd better stop now...starting to feel old.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Naskra)
Post #: 204
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 2:11:35 AM   
niceguy2005

38 and will be 39 in one month.

Started with SSI games on cassette tape on an Atari 800. That was the definition of frustration. Start a 30 minute upload only to have the tape hiccup 29 minutes and 38 seconds into it.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Naskra)
Post #: 205
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 2:17:53 AM   
Bombur

I´m 38. Started with SSI games in late 80´s (Carrier Force and War in South Pacific)

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 206
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 2:29:28 AM   
spence

56....first wargames were Milton Bradley's "Civil War" and AH's Uboat...XMAS 1961 was the best ever!!!

(in reply to Copper)
Post #: 207
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 2:45:43 AM   
ctangus

Bah - except for VSWG you're all old farts.

I'm only 37. Can't remember my first wargame, but I played a hell of a lot out of Squad Leader (and ASL when it came around) as well as Flat Top.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 208
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 2:46:36 AM   
Drex

Gee this is an old thread. I posted in the beginning when i was 57. now I'm 59 and going on 60. Everyone has to repost!

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 209
RE: Our Ages..... - 11/2/2006 3:14:06 AM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

Bah - except for VSWG you're all old farts.

I'm only 37. Can't remember my first wargame, but I played a hell of a lot out of Squad Leader (and ASL when it came around) as well as Flat Top.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrarrrrt. Only kinda old, just turned 40 last month. 37 when I posted. Mice ate my copy of Flat Top

Geez Angus, you're just a rock's throw down the road from me...

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 11/2/2006 3:19:36 AM >

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Our Ages..... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI