Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 11/10/2006 1:54:00 AM   
Gil R.

elmo3, you're right that there were no Napoleonic cavalry charges (I think there was just one saber charge the entire war, or something like that), but cavalry definitely played a role against infantry. Cavalry was mainly used on offense by having the men ride up to the enemy, fire, and then dismount and fight on foot -- it was a rapid, mobile strike force. Cavalry also was used to attack enemy units that had been taken out of the fighting and were retreating or disorganized. So in "Forge of Freedom," if you used cavalry to charge an infantry brigade that is in good order the cavalry will mostly get blown away (especially if it's a head-on charge), but if that infantry brigade is shaken and its morale is down then cavalry can do a number on it.

Wikipedia has a pretty decent discussion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalry_in_the_American_Civil_War

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 31
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 11/10/2006 2:26:31 AM   
elmo3

Thanks Gil. That makes sense.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 32
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 11/10/2006 2:33:27 AM   
Gil R.

I was just skimming through the manual and saw that I had forgotten that cavalry is also quite useful against unprotected artillery. (I think that image on Wikipedia's page will explain why.)

Cavalry in battle are also used for scouting, since they can move much farther than other units and find out where the enemy is hiding.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 33
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 11/10/2006 1:24:45 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

I was just skimming through the manual and saw that I had forgotten that cavalry is also quite useful against unprotected artillery. (I think that image on Wikipedia's page will explain why.)...

Interesting site. Thanks for the link. As long as you guys aren't advocating Balaclava style cavalry battles then it sounds like you have it right.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 34
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 11/10/2006 2:30:11 PM   
Hard Sarge

Cav should be used as fast Inf, move around and then form line (dismount) and fire, if you got Dragoon tactics, then you can either move away or fire again

I for one, almost never charge, too dangerous

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 35
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 12/4/2006 11:56:39 PM   
6971grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

elmo3, you're right that there were no Napoleonic cavalry charges (I think there was just one saber charge the entire war, or something like that), but cavalry definitely played a role against infantry. Cavalry was mainly used on offense by having the men ride up to the enemy, fire, and then dismount and fight on foot -- it was a rapid, mobile strike force. Cavalry also was used to attack enemy units that had been taken out of the fighting and were retreating or disorganized. So in "Forge of Freedom," if you used cavalry to charge an infantry brigade that is in good order the cavalry will mostly get blown away (especially if it's a head-on charge), but if that infantry brigade is shaken and its morale is down then cavalry can do a number on it.

Wikipedia has a pretty decent discussion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalry_in_the_American_Civil_War

Battle of Brandy Station May 3, 1863, was the largest cavalry battle of the war [J.E.B. Stuart got surpirsed by probing Union Cavalry- i.e., Buford]. Some speculate that this is why J.E.B. was late for Gettysburg - a regaining of his tarnished honor - when in actuality Stuart was delayed because of summer rains that delayed his crossing of the Potomac River.

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 36
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 12/8/2006 6:31:40 AM   
Real and Simulated Wars

quote:

ORIGINAL: grunt6971
Some speculate that this is why J.E.B. was late for Gettysburg - a regaining of his tarnished honor - when in actuality Stuart was delayed because of summer rains that delayed his crossing of the Potomac River.

I don't know if he is guilty of anything, but Stuart made his forces unneccesarily busy. No wonder he was late.
1) Fighting at Haymarket, against Hancock's II Corps
2) Destroying telgraph lines and railroad lines, even capturing a Union supply train
3) Fighting at Westminster
Besides that, being late is the lesser of his sins. He didn't provide means to inform Lee of his fighting at Haymarket. I wonder if Gettysburg would have ever happened if Lee knew about this engagement.
Before battle, the prime mission of cavalry is reconnaissance. Using it in a disruptive role in detriment of reconnaissance is folly.

< Message edited by Chelco -- 12/8/2006 6:46:50 AM >

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 37
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 12/8/2006 6:36:37 AM   
Real and Simulated Wars

Double post. Yikes!

< Message edited by Chelco -- 12/8/2006 6:45:31 AM >

(in reply to Real and Simulated Wars)
Post #: 38
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 12/24/2007 12:10:15 AM   
Jonah

"I'm no Civil War expert so can you give me any examples of where large numbers of cavalry fought infantry in the open? There were plenty of large cavalry charges in the Napoleonic era but I can't think of any in this war. I also can't recall any battles where large numbers of infantry in retreat were ridden down by cavalry. Thanks. "-elmo 3

Uhhh, Five forks. Sheriden Sent all his cavalry to chage G. Pikett's defenses.  Overan them too!
Third Winchester. Simmiler Scenario in the end of the fight.
Fisher's Hill. Kinda the same.
First Mannassas. J.E.B. Sturat's brigade charged the fire Zouves at the end of the fight. Routed them.
It happens.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 39
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 12/24/2007 12:12:55 AM   
Jonah

Agreed. Custer doesn't agree though. He always did that-

And always lost.

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 40
RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness - 12/24/2007 12:13:20 AM   
Jonah

Sorry for double posting. or, triple.

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR: Battle in the Wilderness Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI