Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't edit plays using PDS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Public Beta Forum >> Can't edit plays using PDS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 4:34:50 AM   
fredirat

After installing the latest patch, tried editing a number of defensive plays (11 man team). Some had been previously modified under the previous PDS, others not. Causes the same error every time.

Load a play. Go to AfterSnap display. Left click on a player with some form of Move To assignment. The following message appears (Purple text on a black background).

Too few parameters. Expected 1. In procedure ProcessPlayers
Press F9 to attempt continue

Able to continue the first 2 times for any given play. On the 3rd time you left click on a player you get the following error message (Red text on black background)

Couldn't continue.
Press ESC to Quit

Pressing ESC then brings up the Exit dialog.

I'm currently running using UK regional settings but from the description of the regional problems in the release notes wouldn't expect this area to be affected. I can try to reproduce with region set to North America if that will help tie down the problem (let me know if you need me try this).

I'd prefer not to have to change my regional settings every time I play the game but will live with it for now if that turns out to be the problem.

I thought (from previous postings) that updated standard plays would be supplied as part of the release but apparently not. Happy to accept that I misunderstood if these are coming along later

If there's anything else you need me to try to tie this problem down, let me know
Post #: 1
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 5:14:08 AM   
fredirat

I should add to the above that the plays appear to function correctly when used during a game.

Very impressed with the updated game graphics and other mods. Especially pleased to see that you can no longer get away with calling a RB sweep every down and expect to pick up 8 - 10 yards every time.

Congrats to all involved for a great effort. R3 is a huge improvement from what I've seen so far

(in reply to fredirat)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 7:15:58 AM   
Tullius

quote:

I thought (from previous postings) that updated standard plays would be supplied as part of the release but apparently not.

You should download the playbooks made by nmleague. He is in the beta group and made the new playbooks which eventually will be later the new standart playbooks.

quote:

I'm currently running using UK regional settings but from the description of the regional problems in the release notes wouldn't expect this area to be affected. I can try to reproduce with region set to North America if that will help tie down the problem

I think a test would be nice.

(in reply to fredirat)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 7:25:00 AM   
David Winter

I would try it with North American settings. The list I provided for non-North American regional settings is only a small sampling of the problems. It's extremely likely that this problem is caused by the same thing because the game is expecting player postion information in a specific format and it's not getting it.

I really think that non-north american region settings are going to cause a lot of problems for you. One of our testers is from Germany and he found the game play was much better when used with NAR settings.

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 1:09:41 PM   
fredirat

Changed to English(US) regional setting but the problem still occurs.
As I mentioned before, the plays seem to operate correctly during game play.

I tried a few other things in an effort to tie the problem down.
First I made sure all the formations were filled in for the team used in PDS, same problem.
Tried saving the play with a different name then loading the new one, same issue.
Tried creating a new formation, but as soon as I clicked on any player, the problem occurred.

Obviously this isn't a problem found by your beta test team, so I'm guessing it's something to do with settings in my PC configuration. Any suggestions gratefully received.

It's a bit frustrating because everything else about the new release is so much better.
I'm gonna download the playbooks suggested by Tullius, see if I get any joy there

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 2:35:07 PM   
fredirat

OK, sorted it.
Problem appears to be caused by the regional settings but, the regional settings at install time seem to be the culprit.

I re-installed everything (from the initial release, then each of the 3 official patches in turn) but with the regional settings at English(US) - my original install had been done with UK settings.

Edited a few plays using a team in the default US league (after resetting the league & auto-creating the rosters) and all seems well.

Right, now that's sorted I'm off to play some games

Post #: 6
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 4:54:19 PM   
cbelva

I don't think fredirat's problem was related to his regional settings. My regional setting was US and I had the same problem. I removed the program and then reinstalled and everything is working fine now.

(in reply to fredirat)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 5:01:20 PM   
Hubbard

I was playing Milwaukee vs. San Fran. quick game. I ran IT 1W 32 eight consecutive plays anywhere from 8-15 yards a pop and scored a touchdown.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 5:46:37 PM   
nmleague

I havent done much with the stock playbooks after I found problems with the initial release. Some of the playbooks have a limited number of defenses, and the computer AI will many times use just a few. And some of the stock defenses dont always do a good job of covering all types of plays. Try creating your own playbooks or download the pro or college playbooks I created, that are at FBmax and see how they work. Some of my plays can have nice runs vs some defenses but other defenses will cause the same play to lose yards. Its kind of a chess game, trying to find an offense of defense that works well vs what the other team calls.

(in reply to Hubbard)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 5:54:36 PM   
Hubbard

Cool, I'll try some different playbooks. That I T 1W 32 is a sweet play though. Good to use on 2nd or 3rd and long when someone's expecting a pass

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 8:37:00 PM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbelva

I don't think fredirat's problem was related to his regional settings. My regional setting was US and I had the same problem. I removed the program and then reinstalled and everything is working fine now.

My guess it was the restart of your computer that solved the problem. When you change your regional settings, it's best to restart the computer.

The game doesn't check anything with regional settings during the installation process. All those checks are done at run time. So even though uninstalling and reinstalling helped, it was something else about that process that solved the problem, not the actual install of the game itself.

In the case of the US settings already being there. I suspect that uninstalling the game first then doing everything from scratch did help the problem. I mention in another post that my tests here showed no difference in the approach I took. By that I mean uninstall->reinstalling vs installing over top showed no difference in the game. But every computer is different. I wish I could say there was a hard and fast rule for everyone to follow, but I'm afraid for things like this, it's a case of finding out what works best for your particular situation.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 11
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 8:37:41 PM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubbard

I was playing Milwaukee vs. San Fran. quick game. I ran IT 1W 32 eight consecutive plays anywhere from 8-15 yards a pop and scored a touchdown.

I'm assuming these are stock rosters as well?

(in reply to Hubbard)
Post #: 12
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 9:05:07 PM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubbard

Yeah.. just checked that. That play seems particularly effective because it draws all the defenders in close to the middle and then the RB cuts to the outside. Then the defenders can't get back outside fast enough. This may be a case of the provided play books not having enough defensive plays to deal with it. I can see that the defense is reacting to it but lining up strong to that side, but the cut back by the RB is still causing grief. There are some things I think I can do for that.

(in reply to Hubbard)
Post #: 13
RE: Can't edit plays using PDS - 11/4/2006 9:53:07 PM   
Marauders

There will be more defensive plays with the stock playbook soon.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Public Beta Forum >> Can't edit plays using PDS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI