Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mother Russia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mother Russia Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:26:33 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Rob has completed the coastal and river/lake bitmaps for Russia east of the Urals. That is from row 27, column 73 to row 74, column 123 (2400+ hexes). Only the Caspian Sea has coastal hexes. The Aral Sea is considered a lake in MWIF terms.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Post #: 1
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:29:16 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is the upper left corner of what he just completed. You can see the European map edge on the left - it is the western border for Siberia.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 2
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:30:39 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

And here is the map immediately below the last post.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 3
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:33:45 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The northern portion of the Caspian Sea, with higher zoom, so you can see the details better. The Aral Sea to the right just needs some map data corrections (RLS entries it looks like). Rob's bitmap image of the Aral Sea is quite nice.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 4
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:35:47 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

German players can study how to capture the Baku oil. USSR players can plan their assault on Teheran.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 5
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:38:36 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

From Perm & Ufa to Omsk. There was quite a bit of discussion about adding cities here to keep the Russians always in supply, even without HQs. Adding Tyumen was a compromise as I recall.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 6
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:41:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Continuing east from Omsk. If the USSR is defending these hexes, then all I can say is "Hang on Snoopy, Snoopy hang on."

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 7
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:45:56 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

South of the last post. Almost all the lakes need more entries in the RLS file. The RLS file list hexes that have bitmap pieces of rivers and lakes but officially, they contain no river or lake hexsides.

Do you like the names Patrice has added for the mountains?

Oh, and by the way, we are now into China - the red border between the USSR and China runs roughly diagonally from the upper right to the lower left.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 8
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:48:58 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Completing the circle, this is west of the last post and you can see the edge of the Caspian Sea on the left.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 9
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 4:51:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is an overview of what has just been added, plus the vertical section from Moscow to the Caspian Sea. Big place Russia.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 10
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 5:20:52 AM   
Greyshaft

Beautiful work Patrice... 

/Greyshaft

Post #: 11
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 7:41:02 AM   
Zorachus99

A goliath of a map. Wow. I predict #1 computer strategy game of the year. You will blow reviewers socks off.

All grognards rejoice!

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 12
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 9:44:53 AM   
csharpmao

Helo,

Is this post a "map review", as other existent posts ?
I just see some some places where land hexes seems to crop lakes, or lakes who have no border lines (the fine blue line is missing and the border is straight).

I hope this will help you,

CSharpmao

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 13
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 10:18:31 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: csharpmao

Helo,

I just see some some places where land hexes seems to crop lakes, or lakes who have no border lines (the fine blue line is missing and the border is straight).

I hope this will help you,

CSharpmao

Yes, attention to detail is important. And all comments are welcome and read seriously.

However, in this case, I was trying to communicate in my post(s) that we haven't modified the RLS file yet. RLS stands loosely for River/Lake Segments, and it identifies just those hexes that you marked. The tips of the lakes, and some of their sides, contain graphics that do not affect game play but need to be added or else the lakes look weird/incomplete. Patrice will edit the file - it is just a list of hexes (row and column numbers) - and then when I run the preprocessing program against the large bitmap that Rob sent me for all the rivers and lakes, it will produce bitmaps for the individual hexes you marked..

Sometimes there are rivers like this too. Usually it occurs when the end of a river dribbles over into another hex. There were a couple of them in the European map segment.

Steve

(in reply to csharpmao)
Post #: 14
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 1:21:41 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: csharpmao
CSharpmao

Thanks.
I'll review the map tonight and add all the missing RLS data.

(in reply to csharpmao)
Post #: 15
RE: Mother Russia - 11/3/2006 11:13:32 PM   
YohanTM2

Looking killer guys, kudos to Rob and Patrice

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 16
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 2:49:28 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

A goliath of a map. Wow. I predict #1 computer strategy game of the year. You will blow reviewers socks off.

All grognards rejoice!

And which year are you predicting?

--
Del

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 17
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 3:47:58 AM   
ptey

Im confident Steve will get this finished in 2007. Atleast i really really hope:)

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 18
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 4:27:43 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Patrice has added the missing map data, so the lakes are now complete. The Aral Sea has a couple of small islands in the middle of it, but I think we'll just air brush them out.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to ptey)
Post #: 19
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 4:29:57 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Karaganda! That sounds like a fairly decent battlecry. If nothing else, it will confuse the enemy.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 20
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 4:31:52 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Deepest lake in the world as I recall. Some enormous volume of fresh water.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 21
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 4:33:22 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The USSR-China border

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 22
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 4:34:38 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Lakes in the middle of a desert?

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 23
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 4:36:42 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

6th and last in series.

I asked Rob is to work on finishing the Middle East and India next.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 24
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 6:04:42 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Been to Australia recently? Our deserts have lakes all over them. Of course they are mostly salty dry dustpan lakes. For example, Lake Eyre (go find it on an atlas), one of the largest mostly-dry salt lakes in the world. Sometimes, it has fish in it. Big fish. Big salty stupid dead fish.

--
Del

Post #: 25
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 9:12:00 AM   
Neilster

quote:

Eh? Balkhash? Balderdash!

When did they drain Lake Baikal?

Lake Baikal is the deepest and oldest lake in the world as well as the largest (by volume) freshwater lake. It contains over 20% of the world's liquid fresh surface water and more than 90% of Russia's liquid fresh surface water. It is a World Heritage Site. Olkhon, by far the largest island in Lake Baikal, is the largest lake-bound island in the world.[2]

Lake Baikal lies in Southern Siberia in Russia between Irkutsk Oblast to the northwest and Buryatia to the southeast near the city of Irkutsk. In Russian, it is called Байка́л (Ozero Baykal, О́зеро literally meaning Lake, pronounced ['ozʲɪrə bʌj'kɑl]), and in the Buryat and Mongol languages it is called Dalai-Nor, or "Sacred Sea". The origin of the name Baikal comes from Baigal or Байгал which is translated from the Mongolian language as "nature". It is also known as the Blue Eye of Siberia.[1]

Very little was known about Lake Baikal until the Trans-Siberian railway was built between 1896 and 1902. The scenic loop encircling Lake Baikal required 200 bridges and 33 tunnels. At the same time the railway was being built, a large hydrogeographical expedition headed by F.K. Drizhenko produced the first detailed atlas of the contours of Baikal's depths.

The atlas demonstrated that Lake Baikal has as much water as all of North America's Great Lakes combined — 23,600 km³, about 20% of the total fresh water on the earth. However, in surface area, it is exceeded by the much shallower Great Lakes Superior, Huron and Michigan, as well as by the relatively shallow Lake Victoria in East Africa.[3] Known as the "Galápagos of Russia", its age and isolation have produced one of the world's richest and most unusual freshwater faunas, which is of exceptional value to evolutionary science.[4]

At 636 kilometres long and 80 km wide, Lake Baikal has the largest surface area of any freshwater lake in Asia (31,494 km²) and is the deepest lake in the world (1637 metres, previously measured at 1620 metres). The bottom of the lake is 1285 metres below sea level, but below this lies some 7 km (4 miles) of sediment, placing the rift floor some 8–9 km (more than 5 miles) down: the deepest continental rift on Earth. In geological terms, the rift is young and active — it widens about 2 centimeters per year. The fault zone is also seismically active: there are hot springs in the area and notable earthquakes every few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Baikal

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 26
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 9:33:39 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

quote:

Been to Australia recently? Our deserts have lakes all over them. Of course they are mostly salty dry dustpan lakes. For example, Lake Eyre (go find it on an atlas), one of the largest mostly-dry salt lakes in the world. Sometimes, it has fish in it. Big fish. Big salty stupid dead fish.

When the Coral Sea cyclones have enough power to punch through the Great Dividing Range, or tropical lows from the Timor or Arafura Seas sweep across Central Australia, they dump huge amounts of water in the vast, usually arid area of far western Queensland. This is what fills these huge lakes every now and again. Cooper Creek, for example, can go from being a series of dry riverbeds to an enormous torrent 200km across. About every 10 years there is a decent flood and about every 25 Lake Eyre fully fills.

A large number of species exploit these events either by travelling large distances or by waiting out the dry periods (as eggs, suspended animation etc). For a brief period the desert becomes a wetland, with wildflowers, fish, frogs. Water birds appear like magic from 2000 km away. There is a frenetic cycle of reproduction before the water eventually evaporates. Apparently it's something to behold. Lake Eyre has a Yacht Club too. They don't get to sail much.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 27
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 10:10:45 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

Eh? Balkhash? Balderdash!

When did they drain Lake Baikal?

Lake Baikal is the deepest and oldest lake in the world as well as the largest (by volume) freshwater lake. It contains over 20% of the world's liquid fresh surface water and more than 90% of Russia's liquid fresh surface water. It is a World Heritage Site. Olkhon, by far the largest island in Lake Baikal, is the largest lake-bound island in the world.[2]

Lake Baikal lies in Southern Siberia in Russia between Irkutsk Oblast to the northwest and Buryatia to the southeast near the city of Irkutsk. In Russian, it is called Байка́л (Ozero Baykal, О́зеро literally meaning Lake, pronounced ['ozʲɪrə bʌj'kɑl]), and in the Buryat and Mongol languages it is called Dalai-Nor, or "Sacred Sea". The origin of the name Baikal comes from Baigal or Байгал which is translated from the Mongolian language as "nature". It is also known as the Blue Eye of Siberia.[1]

Very little was known about Lake Baikal until the Trans-Siberian railway was built between 1896 and 1902. The scenic loop encircling Lake Baikal required 200 bridges and 33 tunnels. At the same time the railway was being built, a large hydrogeographical expedition headed by F.K. Drizhenko produced the first detailed atlas of the contours of Baikal's depths.

The atlas demonstrated that Lake Baikal has as much water as all of North America's Great Lakes combined — 23,600 km³, about 20% of the total fresh water on the earth. However, in surface area, it is exceeded by the much shallower Great Lakes Superior, Huron and Michigan, as well as by the relatively shallow Lake Victoria in East Africa.[3] Known as the "Galápagos of Russia", its age and isolation have produced one of the world's richest and most unusual freshwater faunas, which is of exceptional value to evolutionary science.[4]

At 636 kilometres long and 80 km wide, Lake Baikal has the largest surface area of any freshwater lake in Asia (31,494 km²) and is the deepest lake in the world (1637 metres, previously measured at 1620 metres). The bottom of the lake is 1285 metres below sea level, but below this lies some 7 km (4 miles) of sediment, placing the rift floor some 8–9 km (more than 5 miles) down: the deepest continental rift on Earth. In geological terms, the rift is young and active — it widens about 2 centimeters per year. The fault zone is also seismically active: there are hot springs in the area and notable earthquakes every few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Baikal

Cheers, Neilster

Actually I knew this. What I didn't know was that Balkhash was a different lake from Baikal.

Steve

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 28
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 11:18:01 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Well, come to find out, ROb was working on finishing the Northern Russia (west).

Some of these are so pretty it is a shame they won't be fought over.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 29
RE: Mother Russia - 11/4/2006 11:19:21 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

East of the Kara Sea is the Arctic Ocean.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mother Russia Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI