Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about field goals and kick offs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Public Beta Forum >> Question about field goals and kick offs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 3:04:34 AM   
fredirat

I've noticed in R3 that the range of place kickers seems to be much less than in R2.
Kickers with KS & KA ratings as high as 98 or 99 drop short on FG attempts around 45 yards (US rules, league play, indoor or outdoor). Similarly, kick-offs are usually fielded between the 15 & 20 yard mark - never seen a kick go into the end zone for a touchback in R3. On the upside, kickers rarely boot the kick off into touch.

I remember some discussion in another thread about altering overall kick accuracy by changing a value in maindata. Does R3 have something similar for distance or does the accuracy also affect distance?

Or is the answer just to edit all the kickers in my league to improve kicking distance (I've noticed several players have values in one or more categories higher than 100, pre-training camp at least), Is it going to cause a problem if a kicker has a KS of 105, say?
Post #: 1
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 3:41:51 AM   
David Winter

Those sorts of values are no longer found in the maindata.mdb file. They're all kept in a file called constants.dat which is just a text file.

You're not going to be able to create a kicker with 105.. the maximum should only ever be 99.. if you're seeing higher values, that's a bug I need to fix.

Were you the one playing with the regional settings set to non-North American? Are you still doing that?

(in reply to fredirat)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 3:54:11 AM   
fredirat

Hi David
Yes that was me, but I've moved the game to another machine on which I leave the regional settings permanently set to US.
I also checked the frame rate before I raised the question - running around 75 - 80.

As far as the ratings over 100 are concerned, there seemed to be quite a number of players in the draft pool with one or more attributes in the 100 - 105 range. These seemed to be consistent with position, WRs & DBs Speed & Agility, Kickers & Punters KS & KA.

However, after players had been through training camp, there were none with a rating of 99, so its obviuosly getting checked there.

I did sign one or two WRs from the draft pool, post training camp, with ratings above 99 and haven't seen any obvious issues during game play with those players (yet)

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 4:06:24 AM   
David Winter

Well as for the kick-offs and field goals. I'm not sure of an answer there. Believe me, there was great debate amongst the beta testers and myself as to what 'good looks like' for kick offs. I have seen some go into the endzone, others fall well short.. I'm not sure how many games you've played, maybe it's just not happend yet?

The players over 99 skill is a bug I can investigate pretty quickly though.. that shouldn't happen.

(in reply to fredirat)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 4:14:02 AM   
fredirat

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Winter

Well as for the kick-offs and field goals. I'm not sure of an answer there. Believe me, there was great debate amongst the beta testers and myself as to what 'good looks like' for kick offs. I have seen some go into the endzone, others fall well short.. I'm not sure how many games you've played, maybe it's just not happend yet?

Point taken, I'm sure there are several views
Plus a range of player types - my league is set to Professional by the way (I suspect 45 is a bit far for pee-wee!)
So far, I've played about half a dozen full games.
I'll see how it goes and post again in a few days time when I've played more - the day job is gonna get in the way again

If there's any more info you need, let me know and I'll try & respond as soon as I can

< Message edited by fredirat -- 11/9/2006 4:18:07 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 4:22:24 AM   
Brockleigh

In the Hamilton-Montreal Game that I posted about elsewhere, Jamie Boreham was booting Kickoffs way over the heads of the Montreal return men, that bounced once about twelve yards deep into the endzone and then out back of the dead-line. This happened twice. That's a kick of 85-87 yards in the air.

I think that's a little much. He has a Kicking Strength skill rating of 98 in the game (okay, I'll have to dumb that down a little in the Utilities... after all, it is Jamie Boreham), but even the strongest kickers I have ever seen have hit around about 75 yards in the air.

As a side note, glad to see that the game correctly did not apply a rouge for that (CFL Rule 3, section 2, Article 4), but did for a kick-off not returned from the end-zone later in the game. Looks like the Canadian Kicking Rules issues have been cleared up.

Post #: 6
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 4:32:39 AM   
fredirat

Just had a look at the constants.dat.
I'll try upping these 2 values tomorrow sometime & see what happens

Physics_MaxFGStrength=15
Physics_MaxKOStrength=15

Post #: 7
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 5:27:14 AM   
David Winter

quote:

As a side note, glad to see that the game correctly did not apply a rouge for that (CFL Rule 3, section 2, Article 4), but did for a kick-off not returned from the end-zone later in the game. Looks like the Canadian Kicking Rules issues have been cleared up.

Most of the Canadian rules seem to be okay except for some of the clock rules previously noted. I'm trying to address as many as those as possible.

(in reply to fredirat)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 5:29:22 AM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: fredirat

Just had a look at the constants.dat.
I'll try upping these 2 values tomorrow sometime & see what happens

Physics_MaxFGStrength=15
Physics_MaxKOStrength=15

If you decide to adjust those values, you want to go in small increments. 15.5 to 16 is probably going to get you the results your after.

If you want to see something silly, set it to about 30 .. just don't report that as a bug

(in reply to fredirat)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 5:38:53 AM   
David Winter

quote:

If you want to see something silly, set it to about 30 .. just don't report that as a bug

Ack.. never mind.. I forgot I added that limiter in the code. You used to be able to kick that ball onto another planet. But I decided I wanted to keep everything in the stadium as much as possible.

Post #: 10
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 6:43:53 AM   
Marauders

Another planet would actually be really tough, as the closest one, Venus, is pretty far away.  It's like 40 million km at the nearest orbital points.

I mean, that would be many zeros even if the limiter wasn't coded in.  It would be a Carl Sagan type number.

The ball would also have a hard time keeping inflated in the vacuum of space.

I'm not sure that is a good feature.

Post #: 11
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 8:13:14 AM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marauders

I'm not sure that is a good feature.

It was either that or the cow heads.

< Message edited by David Winter -- 11/9/2006 8:15:51 AM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 12
RE: Question about field goals and kick offs - 11/9/2006 11:31:09 AM   
fredirat

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Winter

If you decide to adjust those values, you want to go in small increments. 15.5 to 16 is probably going to get you the results your after.

Thanks David
I'll have a play later on when I get home from work (think we're 8 hours ahead of you here).

I really appreciate all your support and quick responses

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Public Beta Forum >> Question about field goals and kick offs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI