Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/9/2006 8:28:57 AM   
CSL

Looking for the best scenarios around the size and complexity of Korea 50-51.

So far the ones in that range that i've found to be quite good are the following...

France 40
Dragoon 44
Gallipoli 15
Sino-Soviet 69

Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/9/2006 12:34:03 PM   
golden delicious

The France 40 scenario which dates to TOAW Volume I?

Bears slightly more resemblence to the actual battle than if you just painted a map of France on your scrabble board.

As an alternative suggestion for your list, there's Curt Chambers' adapation of Blitzkrieg. Certainly manageable, and certainly good. Find it first in the list here;
http://www.tdg.nu/indexscenarios.html

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 11/9/2006 12:40:50 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to CSL)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/9/2006 4:02:26 PM   
sstevens06

quote:

ORIGINAL: CSL

Looking for the best scenarios around the size and complexity of Korea 50-51.
Sino-Soviet 69

Any ideas?

This one might be fun to play, but is historically inaccurate in the OOB & TO&E department. The scale (50km/hex) is also problematic as TOAW tends to behave strangely at the extreme ends of it's supported map and time scales.

I have a relatively complete (and historically accurate) OOB for the Soviet and PRC sides in late 1969, but lack of a decent map at a reasonable scale (20 - 25km/hex) has stopped me from putting together an alternative to this scenario. (Admittedly, the size of this front - the Sino-Soviet border - is enormous, over 3,000km if I'm not mistaken. I simply don't have the time to devote to creating a map that large.)

(in reply to CSL)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/9/2006 5:02:18 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: sstevens06
Admittedly, the size of this front - the Sino-Soviet border - is enormous, over 3,000km if I'm not mistaken. I simply don't have the time to devote to creating a map that large.

Presumably the vast bulk of the fighting would occur in limited areas. You could take an operational portion of the map- for example on the Pacific Coast where the communications are more favourable- and make a scenario out of that.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to sstevens06)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/9/2006 5:50:16 PM   
Telumar

Yeah and maps.google is your friend. Though the infrastructure might have changend since then.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/9/2006 6:36:14 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Yeah and maps.google is your friend. Though the infrastructure might have changend since then.

Especially in China, I would think.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/9/2006 9:24:56 PM   
sstevens06

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

Admittedly, the size of this front - the Sino-Soviet border - is enormous, over 3,000km if I'm not mistaken. I simply don't have the time to devote to creating a map that large.

Presumably the vast bulk of the fighting would occur in limited areas. You could take an operational portion of the map- for example on the Pacific Coast where the communications are more favourable- and make a scenario out of that.

You have a good point - the natural axes of advance for Soviet forces invading Manchuria/northern China would have been widely separated and somewhat limited, as they were in August 1945. OTOH there is something to be said for doing a simulation of the entire Theater, especially since there would likely have been heavy use of operational-tactical nuclear weapons by the Soviets. This would have led to enormous sweeping manuever as Soviet forces penetrated forward Chinese positions and raced through eastern Manchuria and out of Mongolia through Inner Mongolia to very outskirts of Beijing.

Post #: 7
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/9/2006 10:37:04 PM   
ColinWright

Ben's (a.k.a. 'Golden Delicious')Poland is outstanding as a mid-size scenario -- the subject matter notwithstanding. Admittedly, being the Germans is more fun than being the Poles, but if you want an exercise in self-control and carefully-timed retreats, the Poles do offer that, and they can win.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to sstevens06)
Post #: 8
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/9/2006 10:38:45 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

You have a good point - the natural axes of advance for Soviet forces invading Manchuria/northern China would have been widely separated and somewhat limited, as they were in August 1945. OTOH there is something to be said for doing a simulation of the entire Theater, especially since there would likely have been heavy use of operational-tactical nuclear weapons by the Soviets. This would have led to enormous sweeping manuever as Soviet forces penetrated forward Chinese positions and raced through eastern Manchuria and out of Mongolia through Inner Mongolia to very outskirts of Beijing.

You could simply block off the large swatches of irrelevant terrain with unplayable hexes. That could reduce your map-making to a manageable level.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to sstevens06)
Post #: 9
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/10/2006 2:04:53 AM   
sstevens06

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

You could simply block off the large swatches of irrelevant terrain with unplayable hexes. That could reduce your map-making to a manageable level.

I'm not sure I would like the aesthetics of that.

Well my queue is rather full now anyway -- I'm deeply into converting Suez Canal 1973 to TOAWIII. Hoping to release it for playtest before the end of the year.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 10
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/10/2006 11:32:36 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

Ben's (a.k.a. 'Golden Delicious')Poland is outstanding as a mid-size scenario -- the subject matter notwithstanding. Admittedly, being the Germans is more fun than being the Poles, but if you want an exercise in self-control and carefully-timed retreats, the Poles do offer that, and they can win.

Thanks. A lot of units in this one- but quick to play at only eight turns. The sort of thing one can get done in two weeks, which makes a change from the multi-year efforts that some of the larger scenarios can turn out to be.

Of course, this isn't available for TOAW III- yet.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 11
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/14/2006 3:05:19 AM   
Fidel_Helms

Ben's Poland is good, and for that matter I like playing either side. The Germans are favored somewhat, but the time scale still requires the German to exercise some skill.

I don't know if I would say it's of comparable complexity to the disc Korea- Poland is rather more time intensive for the German. Maybe as the Pole it's on about the same level.

The modern Korea is pretty good too, and Bob Cross' Okinawa scenario is another good one.

Post #: 12
RE: Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. - 11/14/2006 3:18:30 AM   
Fidel_Helms

It's been a while, but I'd say that Nordic Light is within this range of complexity also. 

(in reply to Fidel_Helms)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Best Korea 50-51 level scenarios. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI