Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> After Action Reports >> AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/3/2006 3:51:44 AM   
lojishen

I really enjoyed the old AAR's on this forum, so I thought I would contribute one of my own. Taking a page from the WITP forum, this will be an Allied only thread. I'll discuss what is going on, my future plans and thoughts, etc. As this isn't a ladder game, suggestions, critiques, and even mild sarcasm are all welcom.

Campaign '40, FOW, Adv. Supply, Auto Victory, 1.087

First turn:

Larry threw all 7 panzers at France, and reinforced with infantry, artillery, and air. He also occupied Sardinia with a garrison of infantry, aa, air, and artillery. An infantry and militia force was sent to Libya. The combination leads me to suspect that he is looking at an England first policy.

Russia:
I'm going with what I call my slow build up plan, given my hunch that Russia won't see an early invasion. By this, I intend to build up to 5 AA units, 10 artillery, 5 tanks, and whatever round number of infantry is divisible by 5. At the same time, I'm researching infanty, tank, & artillery LA and evasion, as well as AA AA. By keeping down the initial build of AA and artillery for the next few turns, I save a couple points of research. Not sure if this is a good idea, what do you guys think? If I'm not sure of Axis intentions in the next turn or two, I'll have to put down another round of AA and artillery, giving me no gain for the plan, and a delayed build up. However, if Larry does postpone the invasion of Russia I can save 3 points of production .

China:
The main goal of China is to remain a force in being so that Japan has to occupy his Chinese possessions. I consolidate in Lanchow and Changsha, both of which have started to build an AA unit. I'd like to hold out in both place until Winter, pick up the extra AA guns and retreat then.

West:
The main aim of England is to stay alive until Russia and the US are in the war. To this end, we will defend actively as long as we are sure that Scotland and London cannot be successfully invaded.

This turn, I destroyed the Italian tranny in the W. Med, and then organized three fleets.
Home Fleet: 2 BB, 4 DD's, 1 CV
Force Gibralter: 3 BB, 2 DD, 1 CV
Force Alexandria: 2 BB, 2 DD.

The Home Fleet will try to protect the transport line to Sweden and eventually the Lend Lease line to Russia. The Gibralter force will eventually force the Med if Axis air power heads east, otherwise it will try to bottle up Axis subs in the Med. Alexandria will defend the sea approaches to the Middle East as long as possible.

The common wealth forces were divided between England, Gibralter, and the Middle East, with a fighter squadron going to Egypt.

For builds, I started infantry, artillery, and AA in Scotland and England for the short term. Long term, a bomber squadron and a tank division were started. I postponed building the transports in England until I'm sure which way the Axis will jump.

Look forward to any thoughts people may have.

lojishen

Post #: 1
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/3/2006 12:56:09 PM   
a511

great to see theres finally a new AAR.
keep going!!

a511

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 2
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/5/2006 7:38:15 AM   
lojishen

Summer '40

As expected the Axis invaded Spain. It wasn't much of a fight, and pretty much everything was obliterated. By the end of the turn, a large land force along with 3 hvy bombers and a fighter were stationed in Spain.

I decided not to try to hold Gibralter. Instead, I evacuated the troops in Gibralter to Spanish Morocco and reinfoced them with a fighter. I want to try to keep the Italian navy out of the Atlantic if I can. I doubt how long I'll be successful. The Axis are now at 11 transports, with only one built by Germany. I figure 6 transports are now in the Med, giving the Italians a sea lift of 3 units. Plus, the para corp is in Spain. Other units went to the Spanish Canaries in case the parachute corp went there. German air based there could be a pain for my Atlantic life line to the Middle East. I moved the Gibralter navy forces one space to the SW.

England and Scotland received artillery and AA units. Next turn regular forces start coming from the common wealth. The Australian and Indian units will reinforce the ME, and the Canadian unit will go to England. The Africa Corp was not reinforced this season.

China:
Large Japanese armies are now in Foochow and Shanghai. I decided to evacuate Changsha and consolidated in Lanchow and the Chung King.

Russia: Tech and more tech.

lojishen

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 3
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/5/2006 7:39:12 AM   
lojishen

Thanks for the encouragement.

A pic of the current European situation:

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 4
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/5/2006 7:40:29 AM   
lojishen

Ok, that didn't work, I'll try again:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 5
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/8/2006 5:23:24 AM   
lojishen

Fall '40

European Front: The Axis hit hard at Spanish Morocco this turn. The first attack (a sea invasion) was repulsed with some losses. The next attack was an airborne assault that was successful in taking the place. Axis losses were 2 hvy bombers, 1 BB, and 1 infantry damaged. Not bad. However, I should have put my extra infantry here rather than in the Canaries. Morocco was the important spot, and the extra infantry would have bought me another turn there.

The Axis U-boat got their new torpedo's and defensive capability this turn, so they surged into the Atlantic side of the Gibralter straits. Larry must have disbanded the one U-boat he had building to achieve the upgrade this season, something I might have noticed had I been paying closer attention to the build screen. It wouldn't have had a big impact on my moves, but it is good to be forewarned.

Last turn I noticed that Poland and Manchuria were both garrisoned by second line militia units. Another clue that England was the target. The German builds this turn pretty much removed all doubt: more transports, and 8 stuka squadrons.

My biggest decision was whether to cut the sea lanes to the ME this turn. I had 4 militia, 2 fighter, an artillery, and an infantry in the ME, Indian, and Australian theatres. The Axis moved to panzer units to Libya, so the militia and the artillery would have been enough to hold Egypt. With only the one infantry free to move back to England. I didn't think this one unit was worth keeping the sea lanes open and retreated transports to England or S. Africa.

I could have moved the units defending Egypt back to England, but decided to gamble that I could hold England with the current forces and those I build. I believe the Axis has a sea lift capability of 7 units plus the paratroopers. I currently have around 6 militia, 2 infantry, 4 artillery, and 5 AA units in the UK. The next season will be winter so I should have another turn to add to these units.

Asia:
Japan moved into China in a big way, taking the unoccupied Changsha and the province SW of it. The Burma road is cut, but Russia dropped in some supplies to help out Mao in the North. I've divided the Chinese army between Chung King and and the province NE of it. If one of them fall, I'll fall back to the final redoubt next to Russia as I don't want the Chinese army cut off and destroyed.

Comments always welcom.

lojishen

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 6
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/8/2006 7:45:42 AM   
Forwarn45

It's good to see a new AAR. Keep it up!

As for comments, at the moment it does appear you may have to defend England - keep those land units coming just in case! I'm guessing you'll know for sure by next turn.

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 7
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/8/2006 7:56:17 AM   
a511

great to know that a serious sealion campaign is coming!
apparently there is not much u can do except to tighten ur defence of the isles.
i think GER may build even more trannies in Wi41 turn so the sealion could be a really serious one ...
keep an eye on whether GER upgrade its stuka as well, with 8+ upgraded stuka + HBs + GER navy, GER is likely to defeat the royal navy's attempt of blocking the channel.
good luck!

a511

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 8
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/8/2006 9:46:14 AM   
lojishen

Thanks for the tips. I'm upgrading the armor on my Battleships in case they have to move into the Channel. Eventually, they'll be sunk, but maybe they can hold on for an extra turn.

I'm regretting putting two good units in the Canary Islands. Right now, Larry has his subs parked there, but if they head deeper into the Atlantic, I think it will be worth a few lost trannies to get them back to England.

lojishen

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 9
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/10/2006 11:25:28 PM   
lojishen

Winter '41, and the calm before the storm.

The Germans have concentrated 2 Hvy bomber sqdns, 11 Stuka sqdns, and 6 ftr sqdns against England. Another Stuka sqdn will reach the front next season. Germany has a sea lift of 4 units plus the paratrooper. The Italians can add enough sealift for another 4 divisions.

The picture below about says it all:

Hmm, don't see picture, we'll check after the post.

In any case, we've formed a Force Z naval force and put it into zone 9 of the N. Atl. Its job is to hold off the Italians. I think they can successfully accomplish this objective as long as the German air power doesn't intervene. If the German air does intervene, that is a small victory in itself as it means the Germans aren't attacking my land forces.

Force Alexandria (Force A) has already been ordered to worry the Italian Med fleets, damaging a Cruiser this season for a damaged one of their own. If the Italian fleet moves to the Atlantic Force A will sink what they can in the Med.

The reserve/anti uboat is stationed above Force Z. They are currently re-equipping with the best anti-uboat technology we have, and will swing to the attack in the Spring. Their first mission is to evacjuate the Canary garrison.

In Asia, the long march of the Chinese continues. Last season, 5 Japanese infantry were damaged which is pleasing. this turn, the Flying tigers raided a Japanese bomber base, damaging one fighter. Alas, they were also damaged.

Pat

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 10
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/10/2006 11:30:50 PM   
lojishen

Oh yeah, the garrisons in the UK, which I'll have to do from memory:

The Scotlands have 3 or 4 AA, 2 or 3 artillery, 1 infantry, 3 militia.
England has 3 AA, 3 artillery, 2 infantry, 2 militia, and the 1st armored division

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 11
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/11/2006 6:30:34 AM   
Forwarn45

Looks like the Brits are in for it - fight on the beaches, on the landing grounds, and all that good stuff! Just remember to build more infantry and other ground units than you could normally expect to deploy population wise. If he damages a lot of RN ships, you'll be getting a lot of extra population points to play with! (Looking on the bright side.)

Nice to see you continuing your AAR.

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 12
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/12/2006 12:39:54 AM   
lojishen

Spring '41:

Disaster! Scotland falls in a closely contested battle. Numerous waves of German bombers flew sorties against Scotland, backed up by shore bombarding battleships. The first wave cost me 2 artillery, but damaged 2 Stukas, a Ftr, and the Tirpitz.

The second wave was a single Stuka sortie that was damaged, but my remaining coastal battery was knocked out. However, he managed to get hits on the Bismark, knocking out all German Battleships.

The next wave continued to see heavy losses for the Luftwaffe, with 2 Stukas and a Ju-88 going down for the cost of a militia and an AA battery.

Finally, the troops landed, backed up by the paratroopers. We damaged another Ju-88 and an infantry division, but lost all 3 militia and 2 AA batteries. It was 4-1 and Scotland fell. We left large quantities of good Scotch behind, so hopefully the Germans will get drunk, and forget to attack London! 4 Panzers, artillery, AA, and more infantry were immediately transported into their beachhead. The sea lane was backed up by many Stuka squadrons as well as all 5 U-boat flotillas. Seven Stuka and 4 ftr sqdns are still in range of Enlgand.

Then, came the counterattack. Force Z struck first, but only managed to contact part of the German force. We lost one cruiser sunk vs. one of theirs damaged, and a damaged U-boat. However, in a surprise move, the German fleet retreated just North of Scotland rather than the safety Amsterdam. With the U-boats isolated, we flew all the airpower we had at them, damaging 3 more U-boats. A Battleship then followed up, damaging the remaining German cruiser, and bottling up the transport fleet in Scotland.

The naval forces were re-organized, with the BB's and CA/DD's roughly divided. Force Z retains its name and will blockade Scotland. The Reserve fleet is renamed the home fleet and will continue to patrol East of England to fend off any Italian intervention. It still has all the carriers.

Force A continues to harass the Italian fleet, damaging another BB, but we lost one sunk in return. Its forces are being rapidly depleted, but all measures must be taken to defend the motherland.

And, along those lines, the brave merchant men of the British fleet sailed again. While the German U-boat threat has been reduced, Air and raiding Italian forces are a big threat. Still, several valuable convoys got through, bringing the Canary garrison back to England along with several Indian units and an Australian ftr squadron.

England is now garrisoned by 2 armored, 8 infantry, 3 militia, 6 artillery, and 5 AA divisions! We think we can hold at least one turn, and if the fleet actions go well, maybe even more!

Japan continues its offensive, but the long retreat for the Chinese is over. They are backed up against the wall in Sinkiang, but have managed to extricate a decent army of 6 or 7 infantry backed up by 3 AA units.

Russia continues to arm itself while turning out prototype after prototype of advanced tanks, artillery, and AA guns.

Pat

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 13
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/12/2006 12:42:11 AM   
lojishen

Forwarn54,

Thanks for the tip. I had extra units in the build Q, but mostly artillery and AA. I should have had an extra infantry or two. That has been remedied.

Alas, last turn every ship I lost was sunk outright.

1 BB, and I think 2 CA's though I only mentioned one in my report.

Pat

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 14
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/16/2006 4:23:13 AM   
Forwarn45

Doh! But hang in there. I played the Axis before and conquered England -- but still failed to make the AV and ultimately lost. Time is your friend. I notice you still hold Egypt with decent forces. Plus it looks like you should hold out in England for a couple turns. If it gets to the point where he will take England and you have the opportunity to evacuate, go ahead. He is going to have to take a lot of territory still and then spend a lot on repair to win by AV. If he doesn't, the Allies will have the USA and SU to play with soon enough.

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 15
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/17/2006 6:50:15 AM   
lojishen

Su '41

Work tied me up, but we are now back to the important stuff!!

England still holds, but the efforts to withdraw the Canary garrison to England hurt in other ways. There were massive losses to the Merchant fleet this season, and I was unable to link England with the outside world, thus cutting production severely.

I think England will hold this season, but I'm not sure about next. The English navy will stick next to the Island, trying to hold off the attack as long as possible. Russia and America need time to build up their armies.

Not much movement. I was able to build a an infantry and tank in England. Unfortunately, with the lifeline to America cut, I had to build supply as well. One transport was completed in case we get lucky next season and am able to relink with America.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 16
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/18/2006 1:47:49 AM   
lojishen

F '41.

Ugly turn!!! Ugly, ugly, ugly.  Actually it was last turn that was ugly.

I was trying to build a tranny, some supply, a tank, and infantry in England.  They were ordered to be built, and everything else was paused. Normally, England builds 8, but as she was cut off, she could only build four.

Then, I pretty much screwed myself.  Usually, in the early game, I specifically allocate units and supply for the Common Wealth, and then use any remainder production (i.e US) for research.  I did so this time, carefully not spending the last 4 production so I wouldn't eat into English production.  Unfortunately, I somewhow ended up spending the English production on research!!  So, the units and supply were left in the build queue.  Still can't say how it happened, but I'm sure it had something to do with not specifically allocating US production.

So, with England fighting for her life, cut off from the outside world, I somehow mixed up, and ordered her to use all remaining raw materials to research fighter engines or whatever. 

I'm still disgusted with myself.  With the tranny I could have hooked back up with Canada, building a lot more in England this turn.

Bad mistake, but I'll just have to do the best I can. 

England still holds, but Larry was able to knock out Force Z that was blockading Scotland.  More infantry were shipped in.  It will be close next turn, but we'll see if I can hold out in the winter.

Larry invaded Norway this turn, so he it looks like he is going for the AV.  I hope Russia gets involved in time!

Pat

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 17
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/19/2006 9:27:08 AM   
lojishen

Winter '42

Enlgand still holds.  The Axis spent this turn decimating the English fleet.  There wasn't sufficient supply for them to sail to Canada, another result of losing that sea line.  The lesson I learned here is always make sure their are plenty of transports in the English area.  That sea line needs to be held open as long as possible.

There are 7 tanks, 17 infantry, and 3 artillery in Scotland.  I have 3 tanks, 8 infantry, 3 militia, and 8 artillery in England.  I'll get an additional 4 militia when attacked.  It will be close, but every turn I can hang on, is one more turn for America and Russia.  I have 3 fighters and 5 flak as well, so I don't think I'll lose too many of the artillery to air attack.

China is still holding onto its small empire of Sinkiang.  There are lots of Japanese infantry next door, so I expect an attack any day.  It will also be close.

The Axis moved a stuka into Saudi Arabia this turn with fighter cover.  As it blocked the sea route to Iraq, I tried to take it out, but the silly pilots couldn't seem to get the range.  That effectively blocked the remnants of the 8th army in Iraq where I expect to lose them soon.  A new army is forming around Ethiopia, but it is still pretty thin.

The question is what to do?  In 4 turns, the Americans and Russians will be around.  Russia's army is a match for the Wehrmacht right now, and has a technological edge as well. This turn, I completed the most important research: (la, evasion) inf 7-6, artillery 8-6, tanks 9-9.  Next turn I'll start pumping out as much artillery and armor as I can.  The first wave of tanks will arrive on the W' 43 turn which is when we need them.

I also accelerated the US build up, concentrating on strategic bombers as will as putting enough subs in the pipeline to give me 5.  If I have any hope of stopping the AV, I'll need the ability to 'reach out and touch someone' right away, and hopefully bombers will give me that ability.

lojishen

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 18
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/19/2006 10:09:52 AM   
a511

work, and my malfunction home pc, tied me up so i didnt have the chance to see this thread for days.

hang on, given its Wi42 now, and with ur 8 artillery (esp if they are tech up to Att 8) plus AA cover, with some luck and assuming u have upgraded ur infantry under the normal pace (7-7 or better by now), i think u can hold england for a turn or two. with the axis tying up its armors in scotland, axis can either retreat them to its east border by Wi43 the latest or watch the red army going straight to berlin!! so if u can hang on for two more turns, england will hold.

but if i were around earlier, i would tell u to move the british fleet to the east coast of US (assuming u have the piles of supplies in england to move them) cos in case england fell, the whole british fleet would become floating targets with no supply.  but of course, defending england is the top priority and the british fleet (sadly) becomes ur source of population now ...

unless england fell in the following round, i dont think axis can AV before the allies DOW in Wi43.

just build more subs, imo, 5 is still not enough.

good luck!!

a511

< Message edited by a511 -- 6/20/2006 10:29:59 AM >

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 19
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/25/2006 9:56:32 AM   
lojishen

Spring '42

Well, I lost England as well as the last Chinese holding. 

There isn't much to do in '42 without the English and Chinese around, LOL. 

I'm not sure I can stop Larry from getting the AV.  Any ideas out there?

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 20
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/25/2006 10:08:44 AM   
a511

so sorry to hear that ...
in this case, hold cario at all cost to delay axis' attempt to take the RPs in middle east and africa.
besides, build up the defence in india to prevent a quick grab of RP by JP once the pacific war commence.
btw, whats axis' PP now?

a511

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 21
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/25/2006 7:44:03 PM   
Forwarn45

As A511 says, hold in the Middle East. I'd recommend putting at least an artillery in East Africa in case Cairo falls. Make sure the US has plenty of transports so you can hit the ground running as soon as they are in it. Hopefully the Soviets are a bit better quality than the Germans at this point and have built in places close to the front. It's late enough in the day that you have a shot if you can counterrattack quickly. He's got to build a lot of supply to get the AV.

Good luck!

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 22
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 6/25/2006 11:32:44 PM   
philturco

Thanks for the great AAR. I am interested in seeing how other players develop thier strategies. As Axis I usually try and take Yugoslavia earlier rather than later as it adds several militia and a fighter to your order of battle. You also get the 3 resource points to support increased production that are sorely needed in early 42. The militia free up infantry that are badly needed to tip the balance in the fight for either Russia or England at a critical moment. Given that taking the country is a must either for automatic victory with an England first strategy or a staging area if you plan on hitting Russia first it seems a good idea to do it as soon as possible.
i

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 23
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 7/11/2006 4:33:24 AM   
a511

hows things going after Sp42?

(in reply to philturco)
Post #: 24
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 7/26/2006 6:48:51 AM   
lojishen

The War Ends!!!

Fall '42.

The game paused for a couple weeks as I was on vacation. Little did I know that there was only one turn left post vacation.

Larry started the invasion of the DEI in the Fall of '42. With the extra resources to Japan (DEI plus China) and the German production he was at 75 PP. I was able to cut the line to some of his SW African possessions, but that only brought it down to 73: Automatic Axis victory.

After losing England, I'm not sure what I could have done. Larry moved very quickly to pick up the rest of the European minor countries, and it just needed a Japanese assault on the DEI to put him over the top.

I definitely made mistakes in losing England. I squandered a couple units in a misguided effort to hold the Canaries. One extra unit would have prevented the fall of Scotland or later England (for at least one more turn). Once Scotland fell, I didn't have enough transports to maintain the link to Canada. Just one extra link there would have also helped me to defend London for a couple more turns.

It took Larry everything he had to get to 75. If I could have delayed one more turn, E. Europe was pretty much open.

I'll have to run another AAR in the future.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Pat

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 25
RE: AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! - 11/9/2006 11:47:33 AM   
Rabbitman

Shame it ended so suddenly for you:(

Good go of it tho!!

Pride of the League

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> After Action Reports >> AAR: Pat (Allies) vs. Larry (Axis) Larry don't read! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI